Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Blue Star Error posted:

You'd probably want Australia instead of USA really

You'd rather have a team that has only gotten out of the group stage once and has actually qualified for half as many world cups as the USA?

I mean poo poo if you just hate the United States I can't help you out but I have a hard time seeing why you'd want to pull Australia in instead of the US in our pretend replacement FIFA.

But if you could get Australia, Japan, and South Korea the Asian Federation would be pretty much dead in the water competition-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Food Court Druid posted:

You guys are right, it's all a foreign plot to keep down the noble Europeans. If only football was under the wise guidance of UEFA.

I agree, it's an excellent idea that Kiribati - with a population of ~100,000 and who has literally never won an international match - has the same voice in FIFA as Germany.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pook Good Mook posted:

You'd rather have a team that has only gotten out of the group stage once and has actually qualified for half as many world cups as the USA?

I mean poo poo if you just hate the United States I can't help you out but I have a hard time seeing why you'd want to pull Australia in instead of the US in our pretend replacement FIFA.

But if you could get Australia, Japan, and South Korea the Asian Federation would be pretty much dead in the water competition-wise.

Australia is a chinese territory now so all that Yuan.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Voting should be weighted by FIFA rankings (lol) and performance in the last World Cup. Last World Cup winner gets 10 votes. Runner-up gets 8. Third place gets 6. Fourth place and all quarter-finalists get 5. Round of 16 countries get 4. Group stage countries get 2. Then every team in the top 25 FIFA rankings gets 5 votes. 26-50 get 4 votes. 51-100 get 3 votes. 101-150 get 2 votes. 151+ get 1 vote.

It would be a massive clusterfuck to organize votes, but at least Germany would have 15 times the say of American Samoa.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

vyelkin posted:

Voting should be weighted by FIFA rankings (lol) and performance in the last World Cup. Last World Cup winner gets 10 votes. Runner-up gets 8. Third place gets 6. Fourth place and all quarter-finalists get 5. Round of 16 countries get 4. Group stage countries get 2. Then every team in the top 25 FIFA rankings gets 5 votes. 26-50 get 4 votes. 51-100 get 3 votes. 101-150 get 2 votes. 151+ get 1 vote.

It would be a massive clusterfuck to organize votes, but at least Germany would have 15 times the say of American Samoa.

and who is gonna vote to vote for this voting?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

and who is gonna vote to vote for this voting?

UEFA once they leave and form their own world governing body, of course.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Food Court Druid posted:

You guys are right, it's all a foreign plot to keep down the noble Europeans. If only football was under the wise guidance of UEFA.

Unironically this.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Pook Good Mook posted:

Australia have more potential imo, they are proven winners in other sports

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Like what? Australian rules Football? Rugby?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Like what? Australian rules Football? Rugby?
Kangaroo boxing

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Rugby league, rugby union, rugby sevens, aussie rules, test cricket, twenty20 the list goes on and on

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

Rugby league, rugby union, rugby sevens, aussie rules, test cricket, twenty20 the list goes on and on

International Rules!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Australia also have world stars such as Massimo Luongo and Alex Wilkinson who would bring infinite marketing potential. Plus we've proven we're no good at being corrupt

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If UEFA took over it'd be branded as the Ligue De La Monde.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Blue Star Error posted:

Same reason China will inevitably win the World Cup.

Wait, no, it totally doesn't work like that.

Also I believe the USA have won things in other sports too.

Also, also, this is a really dumb argument.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Daduzi posted:

Thanks

for

the

analysis

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Democracy doesn't work, go figure

Big Black Dick posted:

I agree, it's an excellent idea that Kiribati - with a population of ~100,000 and who has literally never won an international match - has the same voice in FIFA as Germany.

It's almost like democracy doesn't really work in real life, makes u think...

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

just find a new sport you miserable fucks nothing is ever going to change

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Drogadon posted:

It's almost like democracy doesn't really work in real life, makes u think...

What this sport really could use is full on communism imo

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

dkj posted:

just find a new sport you miserable fucks nothing is ever going to change

Yep, go for a sport with a clean central administrative body like...

erm...

well..

crown green bowling?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

You think Qatar is corrupt? Russia would like a word. The article is mostly about Sochi and the IOC, but FIFA gets a honorable mention towards the end.

quote:

On 2 December 2010, the FIFA Executive Committee voted in Zurich for Russia to host the World Cup 2018.

The tournament is set to take place across 11 cities, mostly in the west of the country.

It is another huge construction project, which Russian prime minister Dmitry Medvedev claims will cost around 20 billion Euro. As with the Winter Olympics in Sochi, much of the hard lifting will fall onto the backs of migrants.

In the city of Samara, just north of the border with Kazakhstan, the ministry for Labour, Employment and Migration puts the number of migrant workers already at 56,000. Spread across the 11 cities, the total is likely to be in the hundreds of thousands.

But the Russian parliament has taken steps to ensure that the real figure might never be known. In July 2013, the government passed a law removing various provisions of the Labor Code afforded to World Cup 2018 workers, including migrants.

Applicable to all FIFA and Russian companies, contractors, sub-contractors associated with the tournament’s building projects, it suspends worker rights on overtime pay, working hours and holiday.

Additionally, it allows companies to hire - and fire - migrant workers without obtaining any permits from the state or informing the tax or migration authorities.

The law is of significant concern to international labor organisations who say that it facilitates unaccountable migration and hiring practices - even for forced or child labor.

According to Anna Bolsheva, Policy and Campaign Officer for Building and Woodworkers' International, a Geneva-based member of the Global Union Federation, "officially" five World Cup workers have already died.

http://theblacksea.eu/index.php?idT=88&idC=88&idRec=1184&recType=story

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

euroboy posted:

You think Qatar is corrupt? Russia would like a word. The article is mostly about Sochi and the IOC, but FIFA gets a honorable mention towards the end.

http://theblacksea.eu/index.php?idT=88&idC=88&idRec=1184&recType=story

Russia still makes a million times more sense.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You can theoretically see how Russia might win a legitimate competitive vote to host a major sporting tournament. It's a big country with a big population and a proven track record of moderate success in sports, it already has a bunch of stadiums even if they are far apart, it actually has a football league with teams that take part in European competitions, etc etc.

There is literally no way Qatar could ever win a legitimate competitive vote to host a major sporting tournament. It's a tiny shithole in the middle of the desert that only gets to a million inhabitants because of all the slaves and is only noteworthy for its oil, that has never taken part in any major sporting events, let alone host one, and doesn't have any infrastructure to do so.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

vyelkin posted:

let alone host one, and doesn't have any infrastructure to do so.

Qatar will host nearly everything bar the Olympics before the World Cup because nobody cares about Athletics or Swimming competitions.

Given half a chance I think they'd bid for the Commonwealth Games.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

Qatar will host nearly everything bar the Olympics before the World Cup because nobody cares about Athletics or Swimming competitions.

Given half a chance I think they'd bid for the Commonwealth Games.

Yeah, and I'm sure they won all those bids fair and square too.

Next they'll bid for the Pan-Am Games and then host the next meeting of the Francophonie.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, and I'm sure they won all those bids fair and square too.

Next they'll bid for the Pan-Am Games and then host the next meeting of the Francophonie.

Wonder how long until they host the cannes film festival

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Blue Star Error posted:

You don't need to have won something to be a winner but Australia is a winner

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Daduzi posted:

What team sports have China or USA ever won?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the us won the rugby union gold medal in the olympics twice back in the 20s, but now they're dead, so who cares what they won

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Ive just crunched the numbers. The US have won 9 world cups: 5 in basketball and 4 in baseball. Australia have won 16: 2 rugby union, 10 rugby league, and 4 cricket. Neither have won the proper world cup.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The US have also won the World Series nearly every year for over 100 years.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Nostradingus posted:

The US have also won the World Series nearly every year for over 100 years.

Canada's won a few times, AND they dominate hockey. Let those hosers in!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

atomic gog posted:

Ive just crunched the numbers. The US have won 9 world cups: 5 in basketball and 4 in baseball. Australia have won 16: 2 rugby union, 10 rugby league, and 4 cricket. Neither have won the proper world cup.

Are we not including Basketball or Ice Hockey for any special reason?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Blue Star Error posted:

You'd probably want Australia instead of USA really

I'm sorry, but you are just dead wrong. I get your bias, but Australia brings less to the table in every measurable facet.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 11, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

atomic gog posted:

The US have won 9 world cups: 5 in basketball and 4 in baseball.

This is like Japan winning at sumo though, or India at kabaddi.

American culture is too individualistic to ever succeed at team sports, unlike Australia where the harsh environment means they learn to love and rely on their fellow man at a very early age.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Pook Good Mook posted:

hahahaha

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

atomic gog posted:

I think you'll find that Australia have won four proper world cups, india have won two and england haven't won any

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Pook Good Mook posted:

I already did basketball! But youre right, i should have done hockey as well.

The US have won 2 ice hockey world cups, and Australia have won 3 field hockey world cups.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

atomic gog posted:

and Australia have won 3 field hockey world cups.

Including women's sports is cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

These are some tasty advanced stats