Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cornjob posted:

Has anyone else tried Openelec + plex? (not Plexbmc). I tried it the other day and have had some issues.

link: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

Took me a while to realize exactly why this wasn't Rasplex, but looks neat now that I understand. FWIW, I use Rasplex daily for over a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Looking at upgrading my motherboard/CPU so it can handle Plex transcoding. Does anyone have any low power CPU suggestions with mobo recommendations with 10 SATA ports? Thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wolfbiker posted:

Looking at upgrading my motherboard/CPU so it can handle Plex transcoding. Does anyone have any low power CPU suggestions with mobo recommendations with 10 SATA ports? Thanks.

You might want to ask around in the HTPC thread

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Whoops, good idea, thanks.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I'm considering getting the in-laws an Amazon Fire TV stick for them to stream remotely from my server. They have a first generation roku now and it just doesn't do remote for more than 10 or 20 seconds at a time after buffering for 2 minutes. Chrome cast is another option, but the Fire TV has such a nice interface, plus a remote for them is a better option.

Anyone try one for this yet? Is it worth doing, or is there a better option?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm considering getting the in-laws an Amazon Fire TV stick for them to stream remotely from my server. They have a first generation roku now and it just doesn't do remote for more than 10 or 20 seconds at a time after buffering for 2 minutes. Chrome cast is another option, but the Fire TV has such a nice interface, plus a remote for them is a better option.

Yes the Firestick is great. I've had jb'd ATV2's, Chromecasts and Rokus, and am really liking the Firestick.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Unacknowledged posted:

How certain are you it's the roku causing the buffering? Are they able to watch remotely from their PC or another device (phone, tablet) without issue?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Has anyone else tried Openelec + plex? (not Plexbmc). I tried it the other day and have had some issues.

link: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

I have been trying out the new builds and its been working great with my zotac ad10 with the fusion build.

Setup was a breeze, it would be nice to have PHT on gotham though.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teagone posted:

How certain are you it's the roku causing the buffering? Are they able to watch remotely from their PC or another device (phone, tablet) without issue?

Well I thought it was the Roku before I went there last night. Playing locally was spotty as hell too, but my chromecast and phone had no problems playing from their server, so I still am suspecting the roku being the culprit.

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.

kri kri posted:

I have been trying out the new builds and its been working great with my zotac ad10 with the fusion build.

Setup was a breeze, it would be nice to have PHT on gotham though.

Is hardware acceleration working on AMD-based machines now? I didn't think it was coming until the Gotham code merge. If it is I'll finally be able to make the switch as that's been my lone holdup from taking my HTPC from XBMC to Plex.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Unacknowledged posted:

Well I thought it was the Roku before I went there last night. Playing locally was spotty as hell too, but my chromecast and phone had no problems playing from their server, so I still am suspecting the roku being the culprit.

I don't doubt blaming a roku 1,but I'd also make sure you have enough upload bandwidth as well.

Roku 1 has less horsepower than 2 which is equal with the stick and is less than roku 3, so hardware wise a 1080p stream (if it is) may be hard on a roku 1. Hell, I see significant stuttering on a chromecast with 720p so caveat emptor.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't doubt blaming a roku 1,but I'd also make sure you have enough upload bandwidth as well.

Roku 1 has less horsepower than 2 which is equal with the stick and is less than roku 3, so hardware wise a 1080p stream (if it is) may be hard on a roku 1. Hell, I see significant stuttering on a chromecast with 720p so caveat emptor.

Yeah, upload is significant factor in remote playback of HD content with Plex. I've got a 10Mbps upload connection and my brother is able to stream content on his Chromecast at 720p 4Mbps from my server (located about 30 miles away or so) without issue. He can stream at 1080p 8Mbps if no one else is remotely streaming, but I share my server with 2 other families so the bandwidth needs to be divied up.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey guys, brand new to Plex. So I spent the time sorting through my media and getting things up and running. Using windows 7 on my pc that is the server, got the app on my iPhone (6 plus, latest iOS). I can get stuff running through my phone quickly and in high quality on my own wireless, tried it when I was out before and managed to get something through my phone's 3G at a reduced quality (possibly the file though).

However I'm at my girlfriend's right now and decided to try and Chromecast a movie through it. App won't connect to my pc, tried disconnecting from her wifi and using my 3G, aswell as restarting my phone. Always the same. I assume the server has become idle? Is there anyway to prevent this?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Turn off sleep on your PC? Can you get to: http://plex.tv/web/app ?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Quick confirmation: My Roku 3 and my Plex Media server are on the same LAN subnet. The Roku is not going out to the internet and back in to access my PMS, right?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kri kri posted:

Turn off sleep on your PC? Can you get to: http://plex.tv/web/app ?

Wouldn't allow me to, I've since gone home and altered my pc sleep settings. It wasn't set to sleep but it was turning the HDD off after 20 mins inactivity.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

trilljester posted:

Quick confirmation: My Roku 3 and my Plex Media server are on the same LAN subnet. The Roku is not going out to the internet and back in to access my PMS, right?

Shouldn't be barring some weird vpn or proxy bullshit.

Traceroute the ip of your Roku from your plex server to verify

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My parents have a Panasonic Viera smart tv, is there some kind of DLNA app I can download on the tv so I can cast plex to it from my iPhone?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex has a DLNA server built into it, can you use that? I can cast to my Samsung TV though natively, not sure if Vizio can do that or not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kri kri posted:

Plex has a DLNA server built into it, can you use that? I can cast to my Samsung TV though natively, not sure if Vizio can do that or not.

He's asking for a DLNA client to use with the plex DLNA server.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Unacknowledged posted:

Firestick is probably the best thing going right now if you're looking for a quick and easy way to make a TV a Plex client, especially if you got the 19.99 Prime deal or the 25.00 Best Buy black friday deal.

Easy as hell to set up, interface is easy to use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

Firestick is probably the best thing going right now if you're looking for a quick and easy way to make a TV a Plex client, especially if you got the 19.99 Prime deal or the 25.00 Best Buy black friday deal.

The Plex app from Amazon's app store has gone free multiple times as well.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Heners_UK posted:

Took me a while to realize exactly why this wasn't Rasplex, but looks neat now that I understand. FWIW, I use Rasplex daily for over a year.

I have a RPi B+, and my experience is that it performs better with Openelec +xbmc than Rasplex.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cornjob posted:

I have a RPi B+, and my experience is that it performs better with Openelec +xbmc than Rasplex.

I've not tested in comparison, but what makes you say that necessarily? I've been very happy with RPi B (not B+) with Rasplex installed on a USB Flash Drive.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lofty132 posted:

My parents have a Panasonic Viera smart tv, is there some kind of DLNA app I can download on the tv so I can cast plex to it from my iPhone?

It's built in but not part of the full screen menu. Hit a button like "Viera Cast" or something on the remote. It's the button that brings up a menu along the bottom quarter of the screen and one of the item is literally DLNA Servers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Zeitgueist posted:

I am going to knock this recommendation down a bit, some folks are having stuttering issues on video playback and I personally am getting a wierd wifi issue.

edit: Pasted the wrong link, here it is

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/129220-stuttering-on-playback-on-fire-tv-stick/

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 9, 2014

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've used Plex for years and it's always been really automatic, but I'm having problems playing most media now. It looks like it's trying to direct stream everything to web players or chromecasts. If I play to a Plex Home Theater on one of my Macs it plays most everything fine.

I've unchecked the boxes on the web player options to Direct Play and Direct Stream and tried experimental player off or on but it's all pretty much poo poo. My server is running the latest Plex Pass version on a Mac laptop that has no problems playing the same files locally on Plex Home Theater. Neither host or player computers have firewalls enabled. The only oddity is that my home network doesn't have NAT loopback enabled because it's not an option that I can tell. But this isn't something that has changed since this all basically stopped working.

Is there a reliable way I can force my server to transcode?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
How is the X-Box 360 and Samsung clients? Starting to wish I'd bought a lifetime subscription before the price went up. I've been using an old Atom/Ion HTPC with Windows and it's getting slow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just buy an Amazon fire stick and you'll be happier. The Samsung client in my 2 tv experience introduced buffering and crash problems that didn't exist with a 20 dollar Hdmi stick

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

How is the X-Box 360 and Samsung clients? Starting to wish I'd bought a lifetime subscription before the price went up. I've been using an old Atom/Ion HTPC with Windows and it's getting slow.

Works flawlessly on xbox one so I imagine the 360 is the same. Navigates a lot smoother than my roku plex app

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a way to allow people with a plex client to view my extensive H-SBS library if they don't have 3D TV's ? As in, can I transcode my sbs content into 2D ?

Is this possible with XBMC ?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

jonathan posted:

Is there a way to allow people with a plex client to view my extensive H-SBS library if they don't have 3D TV's ? As in, can I transcode my sbs content into 2D ?

Is this possible with XBMC ?

XBMC can display an HSBS file as a 2D movie in the newest official release.

Plex cannot do that, unfortunately.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FormatAmerica posted:

I've been using a HD Homerun Plus with Plex and HTPC, Chromecast and Tablet and it seems to be working out okay.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101755-hdhomerun-viewer/

I've had it for under a day and in the process of setting it up found out my cable provided dropped all their clearQAM channels but I'm getting by with OTA.

Only one of their three players transcodes to h264 and it seems like that's the only way to get reliable playback with the Chromecast specifically.

Edit: still on sale

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-Streaming-HDTC-2US/dp/B00GY0UB6I

I find it odd that this seems to be the only way to do live OTA TV through Plex when it can play back my .WTV recordings no problem, which are all MPEG2/AC3. Oh well, guess I'll give that HDHR a shot.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

I find it odd that this seems to be the only way to do live OTA TV through Plex when it can play back my .WTV recordings no problem, which are all MPEG2/AC3. Oh well, guess I'll give that HDHR a shot.

I won't admit to trying it all, but what I have now works pretty nicely.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

They have finally added playlists to the android client it looks like.

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

I recently bought a Samsung TV. I figured I'd buy a Fire or something similar to run Plex, but discovered the Samsung App was perfectly usable.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Pondering one of the new Mac Minis as a dedicated Plex server. Seems like it has enough horsepower to handle transcodes for multiple clients, yes? Anyone else using one for Plex?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

trilljester posted:

Pondering one of the new Mac Minis as a dedicated Plex server. Seems like it has enough horsepower to handle transcodes for multiple clients, yes? Anyone else using one for Plex?

It doesn't seem like the most cost-efficient device for the purpose and you're stuck with external storage.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

It doesn't seem like the most cost-efficient device for the purpose and you're stuck with external storage.

The ThinkServer TS140 is currently the darling child for Plex/storage servers ots I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love my Mac mini. I have a NAS and do a fair amount of transcoding. It's small, quiet, and fits in my tv stand. But I wouldn't buy new at full price...