Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wouldn't he still be Seamus O'Mustache or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Wouldn't he still be Seamus O'Mustache or whatever?

If he had the gauntlet, you know he'd magic his face back to Normannormal, because he'd be so powerful he wouldn't care about hiding (also: to gently caress with Peter). Or just make it literally into a Goblin because he's friggin' crazy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Castomira posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you're arguing that this fact in particular makes the story stupid, as if it would be better if he were Norman Osborn with the Infinity Gauntlet, or something.

All I can think of now is an entire universe where absolutely everyone has Osborn Hair.

Truly the darkest timeline.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Rhyno posted:

Norman showing up with the Infinity Gauntlet would be 1000% better than anything Slott has come up with thus far.
I literally suggested it because it was the exact kind of story arc I would find hackneyed and boring. Other than Shocker and maybe Kraven, I think most of the villains regarded as part of Spider-Man's "traditional" rogues gallery are really uninteresting.

One of the reasons Scarlet Spider was so great is because his villains were the Assassin's Guild and weird Aztec demigods and poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Norman with an infinity gauntlet showing up with an army of Normans and Harrys would be pretty rad, tho. The spideys think they're doing well when suddenly the sun is blocked by an armada of lunatics in gliders.

Spider-verse Team-up was as fun as I expected :allears: Noah Boddy is truly the best villain, maybe give him the infinity gauntlet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now I want Hickman to take over ASM and do what he did with Doom to Norman.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Now I want Hickman to take over ASM and do what he did with Doom to Norman.

Osborne the master villain is really boring. I hate the direction his character has taken for the last decade or two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Osborne the master villain is really boring. I hate the direction his character has taken for the last decade or two.

What I mean is, force him and Peter together the way Doom joined the Future Foundation.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

What I mean is, force him and Peter together the way Doom joined the Future Foundation.

Nah. Let's forget the classic villains. Let's introduce something new. Have Peter lose his sense of responsibility, gather all his enemies onto The Bridge that Killed Gwen Stacy, then blow it up with them on it, and say he's done with this poo poo and move forward.

If we can be gifted with Franklin Richards, Valeria, Future Foundation, new X-Men recruits, Avengers like Ex-Nihilo, Starbrand, Smasher, Manifold, etc. that are good...gently caress the classic poo poo. Give a new direction and new blood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just tired of how Norman's been written since Dark Reign ended. Look at what DC is doing with Luthor right now, something interesting for the first time in 10 years. Marvel could learn from that.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I really hope Carnage-Man stays around after AXIS instead of going back to, well, Carnage.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.

Gatts posted:

Nah. Let's forget the classic villains. Let's introduce something new. Have Peter lose his sense of responsibility, gather all his enemies onto The Bridge that Killed Gwen Stacy, then blow it up with them on it, and say he's done with this poo poo and move forward.
Then he marries Shriek and becomes roommates with Axis-Carnage and starts a new series called Spider-Man and His Terrible Friends.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Castomira posted:

Then he marries Shriek and becomes roommates with Axis-Carnage and starts a new series called Spider-Man and His Terrible Friends.

I'm down with this.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm just tired of how Norman's been written since Dark Reign ended. Look at what DC is doing with Luthor right now, something interesting for the first time in 10 years. Marvel could learn from that.

Luthor conning his way into the JL was a good first step that hasn't gone anywhere at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Spider-Verse is the greatest story, but the overreaction I see to it here is insane. You'd think Dan Slott personally broke in to peoples' homes and kicked their dogs. That said, I did think the scene where Morlun walks up on Mayday was a little poorly done.

Also is it strange that I really liked how much I hated TV Ultimate Spider-Man? I mean, I really dislike the current cartoon, but somehow the fact that he was also awful in the book and Miles called him out on the cutaways made me happy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gatts posted:

If we can be gifted with Franklin Richards, Valeria, Future Foundation, new X-Men recruits, Avengers like Ex-Nihilo, Starbrand, Smasher, Manifold, etc. that are good...gently caress the classic poo poo. Give a new direction and new blood.
To be fair, the last time anyone tried 'a new direction and new blood', it was Brand New Day. Whoever tries that again had better know what they're doing.

TwoPair posted:

I don't think Spider-Verse is the greatest story, but the overreaction I see to it here is insane. You'd think Dan Slott personally broke in to peoples' homes and kicked their dogs. That said, I did think the scene where Morlun walks up on Mayday was a little poorly done.

Also is it strange that I really liked how much I hated TV Ultimate Spider-Man? I mean, I really dislike the current cartoon, but somehow the fact that he was also awful in the book and Miles called him out on the cutaways made me happy.
Well considering at least part of the buildup is literally the destruction of some of the most popular alternate incarnations of the chracter, the villains are painfully generic (and straight out of a Vampire:The Masquerade sourcebook, apparently), coupled with shilling of Silk and plot holes you can drive a Spider-Mobile through (why the hell wouldn't Ezekiel/Old Man Spidey explain to the other Spiders what the significance of the Bride, Other and Scion are, especially since they already had one of them in their midst before 616 Peter showed up? So Ezekiel could give half-complete exposition as he was dying.) I'll grant that most of the stuff not written by Dan Slott's been good (and the fact Slott's not writing it probably has something to do with it), but at a basic level I fundamentally dislike the story and dislike the spinoffs b association. If you're advertising 'every Spider-Man ever' as a selling point, I kind of expect it to be, while still having dramatic stakes, ultimately a light-hearted story with the various Spider-folks swapping bad jokes as they punch out the bad guys, not A SPIDER DIES ON EVERY PAGE. A celebration of Spidey in all his different incarnations. This? This just feels mean-spirited to the whole mythos.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you're advertising 'every Spider-Man ever' as a selling point, I kind of expect it to be, while still having dramatic stakes, ultimately a light-hearted story with the various Spider-folks swapping bad jokes as they punch out the bad guys, not A SPIDER DIES ON EVERY PAGE. A celebration of Spidey in all his different incarnations. This? This just feels mean-spirited to the whole mythos.

What universe are you living in where event comics are light-hearted?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Yvonmukluk posted:

And it's amazing that the big villain is...SOME OLD VAMPIRE GUY! Move over Green Goblin, truly THIS GUY is Spidey's true nemesis, indeed the nemesis of EVERY Spider-Man!

On this note, and maybe this is just me revealing my ignorance, for all the popularity Norman/GG has as Spider-Man's greatest enemy, was he used all that much in comics prior to his death? Granted, there's been tons of 'goblin' characters over the last several decades to keep the spirit of goblin foe alive and he did kill Gwen.

But even when he was revived nearly 20 years ago in the comics, it seemed like a lot of fan response that I heard was rather unenthusiastic about his return, but admittedly a lot of that DID stem from him having a pretty certain death in the comics and fans just didn't like that death was just undone.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

On this note, and maybe this is just me revealing my ignorance, for all the popularity Norman/GG has as Spider-Man's greatest enemy, was he used all that much in comics prior to his death? Granted, there's been tons of 'goblin' characters over the last several decades to keep the spirit of goblin foe alive and he did kill Gwen.

But even when he was revived nearly 20 years ago in the comics, it seemed like a lot of fan response that I heard was rather unenthusiastic about his return, but admittedly a lot of that DID stem from him having a pretty certain death in the comics and fans just didn't like that death was just undone.

The clone saga is what gave us super planner/mastermind Osborn, before that he was just crazy dude who hated Spider-Man/Peter Parker whenever he remembered his identity. Since he was brought back to life it's basically been a constant thing where every other writer puts forward that either Ock or Goblin are Peter's greatest enemy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nowadays a lot of that is probably also due to the films.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Nowadays a lot of that is probably also due to the films.

Yeah. Goblin has the personal connection to Peter with killing Gwen so whenever there's any adaptation it's always Goblin, Peter, love interest and a bridge. Ock has the bonus of being the first to beat Peter and kill Capt. Stacy but lacks the personal connection, though various writers try to change that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Accidentally or not, I always felt Ock worked as a mirror to Peter, if not Spider-man. The resentful nerd Peter once was could easily have grown into someone as bitter and sad as Dr. Octavius.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, the last time anyone tried 'a new direction and new blood', it was Brand New Day. Whoever tries that again had better know what they're doing.
How does BND constitute "a new direction"? It brought a bunch of dead characters back (but not Gwen, because that would be a change) and basically reset the comic to 1985. If anything, that's an old direction.

So does anybody know what the deal is with Noob Saibot on the cover of Team-Up #3?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I'm not making any accusations, but before Dan Slott started writing Spider-Man I had 2 cats, and since then one of them was hit by a car. Pretty big coincidence if you ask me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

As far as "Events that Marvel Has", Dan Slott's aren't the absolute worst but they're hardly that great. Think of a Dan Slott event as when you were eight and you and your friends, after eating cereal loaded with sugar for breakfast, gathered all of your action figures and just smashed them together and made sound effects with your mouth and made up complete bullshit powers and move combinations to justify how your action figures "beat" the other ones. Pretend video games weren't an option.

This is pretty much what a Dan Slott Spider-Man event is.

As with all events, good things can still come of it. Remender's Venom has a pretty important moment during Spider-Island. Yost's Scarlet Spider spins out of the events involved in Spider-Island (and Slott is still playing with themes that Yost built up on in Scarlet Spider). And as typical with Slott events (and really, a lot of the Marvel events), the build up is okay to good, the start is good, but the event drags on way too long, and the event is often Punching Something Hard In the Face or sometimes a plot device invention that solves the problem. I remember liking the start of Spider-Island, but the rest of the event was complete garbage, including the ending. The only good thing that came from it was Carlie dumping Peter, and I think that was like the one time I ever felt like I "got" her as a character that made her interesting and unique as a Spider-Man character rather than just a Dan Slott Dream Girl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm not making any accusations, but before Dan Slott started writing Spider-Man I had 2 cats, and since then one of them was hit by a car. Pretty big coincidence if you ask me.

That SON OF A BITCH.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Something that isn't complaining about Dan Slott or complaining about complaining about Dan Slott: Gerry Conway's doing a five part story next year with Spidey and Wraith versus the crime lords of New York

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I see Gerry took a trip to the island of misfit supporting characters/villains.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

Something that isn't complaining about Dan Slott or complaining about complaining about Dan Slott: Gerry Conway's doing a five part story next year with Spidey and Wraith versus the crime lords of New York

Who's the riddler looking fellow in the lower left (if question marks were stars)?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That would be the Ringmaster, the head of the Circus of Crime

CharlestheHammer posted:

I see Gerry took a trip to the island of misfit supporting characters/villains.

eh the circus are the only out of left field characters on that cover

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 12, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

I see Tombstone, but I don't see Head of the Maggia Shocker. Is nobody going to acknowledge the universe-changing events of Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Is Felicia Hardy a crime lord now? :stare:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jiro posted:

Is Felicia Hardy a crime lord now? :stare:

Yes? It's been the ongoing plot point prior to Spider-Verse. Spock outed her and tried to get her locked away but she escaped and has vowed vengeance on Spider-Man and "the world" for doing it. She kind of believes that Peter is really him and Spock was responsible for everything but she's still pissed that her life has been destroyed.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Castomira posted:

So does anybody know what the deal is with Noob Saibot on the cover of Team-Up #3?

That could be a Spidey who kept the Dusk costume, or it's a fakeout cover and they'll put the real character in when it actually prints.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It might be nit picky but Dusk had underarm wings like Spider-Man's armpit webbing. It looks like just a placeholder.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Completely unrelated, but are we talking about Spider-Man and the X-Men in here, or in the X-thread?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My favorite parts were the references to Spider-Man comics, so I'm claiming it as a Spidey book.

Iceman calling him a Non-Mutant was a reference to the era, around when McFarland was on the book, he was billed as the Non-Mutant super hero. And I liked the reference to the Toad/Frog Man team up from Amazing Spider-Man #266 which also included Spider-Kid who became Steel Spider, famous for getting his arm bit off in Ellis' Thunderbolts. Spidey was still wearing the symbiote I believe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

How does BND constitute "a new direction"? It brought a bunch of dead characters back (but not Gwen, because that would be a change) and basically reset the comic to 1985. If anything, that's an old direction.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That could be a Spidey who kept the Dusk costume, or it's a fakeout cover and they'll put the real character in when it actually prints.

I think it's supposed to be a 'mystery Spider' mentioned in solicits. I suppose you're only supposed to find out who when you get the book. My money's on grown up Benjy from the 'last Spider-Girl story'.

Considering DeFalco apparently didn't even know he was writing this story till somebody told him, I guess maybe even he didn't know who! :v:

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Picked up Axis Carnage # 3 today, another outstanding issue. I'm really sad it was only a 3-issue series, Cletus was written wonderfully, and the art was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Completely unrelated, but are we talking about Spider-Man and the X-Men in here, or in the X-thread?

People were talking about it in the X thread, it's only going to be Spider-Man and the X-Men for an arc or so and then will become someone else and the X-Men.

• Locked thread