Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

I think this ended up being my favorite Netflix original show. it has an incredible payoff and gets better and better as the season goes on

Yeah I'm about halfway through right now and it's already gotten way better. Started out somewhat mediocre, now it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, watched Gods Pocket last night, purely based on the fact that it starred John Turturro and Philip Seymour Hoffman. What a piece of garbage, seriously, one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. It was tonally scattershot, and didn't know what type of film it wanted to be. One minute it's a crime thriller, then a blue-collar parable, then a slapstick comedy, all set in the grossest irish suburb of Philadelphia where everyone is a close-minded drunk deciding whether to fight someone or kill themselves.

It's so bad it's almost worth watching just to see how bad it gets.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I really don't get the love for Killer Joe. Emile Hirsch and Thomas Haden Church give some lackluster performances, and McConaghey tries to come off all scary and intimidating but it just comes off so forced it hurts.

And that ending, my God was that movie just a shitshow.

edit: I will admit that the scene at the life insurance office with the loose thread got a nice chuckle out of me, but other than that it was a pretty weak movie.

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 11, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Killer Joe is not actually a badass bounty hunter/hitman.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Killer Joe is not actually a badass bounty hunter/hitman.

Instead, he's a creepy weirdo who forces a woman to suck his chicken leg for an uncomfortably long amount of time.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I tried to like this movie, but even if Joe actually was a badass bounty hunter / hitman, it still wouldn't changed how crappy that movie really was.

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 11, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Whoever recommended The One I Love, thank you. That movie hosed with my head but I really enjoyed it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The One I Love is definitely worth watching, but I thought it mostly wasted an interesting concept.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mash posted:

I really don't get the love for Killer Joe. Emile Hirsch and Thomas Haden Church give some lackluster performances, and McConaghey tries to come off all scary and intimidating but it just comes off so forced it hurts.

And that ending, my God was that movie just a shitshow.

edit: I will admit that the scene at the life insurance office with the loose thread got a nice chuckle out of me, but other than that it was a pretty weak movie.

Emile Hirsch's performance was amazing, all of the performances were good to great.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Emile Hirsch's performance was amazing, all of the performances were good to great.

On second thought, I take back what I said about Thomas Haden Church's performance, but I suppose Hirsch just doesn't do it for me. I honestly can't recall a role of his that ever stood out to me.

I personally think that the guy in the red pickup truck who Hirsch owed money to did the best job out of the entire cast in the small scene he was in.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The ending is amazing- specifically the cut and the song that starts playing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mash posted:

On second thought, I take back what I said about Thomas Haden Church's performance, but I suppose Hirsch just doesn't do it for me. I honestly can't recall a role of his that ever stood out to me.

I personally think that the guy in the red pickup truck who Hirsch owed money to did the best job out of the entire cast in the small scene he was in.

My mistake, I meant Thomas Haden Church. Emile's performance was acceptable, but probably the weakest in the film. Church's performance was brilliantly docile and dim witted while still being humorous and sympathetic, for the most part. He really gave that role a life it wouldn't have had otherwise.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ending is amazing- specifically the cut and the song that starts playing.

Everytying before the cut felt like a hot mess but yeah, the song over the credits was good.

Chichevache posted:

My mistake, I meant Thomas Haden Church. Emile's performance was acceptable, but probably the weakest in the film. Church's performance was brilliantly docile and dim witted while still being humorous and sympathetic, for the most part. He really gave that role a life it wouldn't have had otherwise.

Y'know, I can agree with that. He did seem like a tired old drunk who just wanted to make a quick buck at the expense of his family.

Edit: Bold is not spoiler :saddowns:

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 11, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mash posted:

Y'know, I can agree with that. He did seem like a tired old drunk who just wanted to make a quick buck at the expense of his family.

Nah, that was all Hersch coercing him. The best part about Church was that he was too dumb to think for himself, everyone ran his life. He just wanted to get drunk and watch tv, a simple life. Kinda like a lovely Lenny.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Nah, that was all Hersch coercing him. The best part about Church was that he was too dumb to think for himself, everyone ran his life. He just wanted to get drunk and watch tv, a simple life. Kinda like a lovely Lenny.

Yeah, I suppose you're right.

Now I kind of want to see another Of Mouse and Men movie with Church as Lenny.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Whoever recommended The One I Love, thank you. That movie hosed with my head but I really enjoyed it.

Holy poo poo this movie. Really genius and I'm sad that it took me this long to even know that it exists, much less watch it. Go watch this movie now. (Don't read up on it though as this is definitely the type of movie that benefits from going in to it cold)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
"A Baby?!? A Baby!!!" is my favorite closing line to any movie in the last 10 years, maybe of all time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dik-dik posted:

Holy poo poo this movie. Really genius and I'm sad that it took me this long to even know that it exists, much less watch it. Go watch this movie now. (Don't read up on it though as this is definitely the type of movie that benefits from going in to it cold)

Same! One of the main complaints I see about the movie is that it hardly goes far enough into the scifi/magic elements but I look at it in the opposite way, actually ironically similarly to the Black Mirror episode The Entire History of You in that it is not ABOUT the technology/magic/whatever, it's a relationship story at its absolute core.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Wolf of Wall Street just went up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Erebus posted:

The Wolf of Wall Street just went up.

I missed this in theaters so this will be my Friday night treat.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Does Marco Polo come out tomorrow?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
December 12th so yes

I shouldn't have watched Peaky Blinders first because I'm now making my way through some other Netflix series that I'm behind on and they just don't compare.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mash posted:

Everytying before the cut felt like a hot mess but yeah, the song over the credits was good.

With a hack like William Friedkin collaborating with a terrible screenwriter like Tracy Letts, it was a recipe for disaster! They could have at least cast some competent actors!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Don Hertzfeldt's movie is on NF! Its Such A Beautiful Day.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

dik-dik posted:

Just started watching Bojack Horseman. It's pretty good. More or less your standard cartoon aimed at adults, but the voice actors really make it.

I thought the same thing and then you get to the episode with Princess Caroline and her job and it all kind of crashes into you. Brilliant unexpected show that Bojack.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Don Hertzfeldt's movie is on NF! Its Such A Beautiful Day.

I've only seen the first few minutes of this but I really enjoyed it. Happy to see it's up as I had completely forgotten about it.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

With a hack like William Friedkin collaborating with a terrible screenwriter like Tracy Letts, it was a recipe for disaster! They could have at least cast some competent actors!

I don't see the need for sarcasm here. I was simply stating my honest opinion that happens to conflict with most others. While the only other movie I've seen of Friedkin's has been The Exorcist (which is still just as scary 10 years after I first saw it), I don't think he's a hack at all. Hell, if it wasn't for him the horror genre would be totally different.

Before this I had never heard of Tracy Letts, so I wouldn't go so far as to call him "terrible", but the script was easily one of the biggest issues of the movie for me. Seeing as Killer Joe was written for the stage it might work better there than it would on screen but I still don't think it'd be for me.

Also, everyone in the movie was "competent" except Emile Hirsch who just straight up stinks.

TLDR; Quit gettin' mad at folks who dislike movies you enjoy. It doesn't matter. :)

edit: Unrelated but Parks and Recreation is the best comedy in years. I've spent the last couple of weeks watching it to prepare for Season 7 in January. I'm gonna get some ice cream and watch some more. ♪Treat yo'self two-thousand fourteen!

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The last season or two of P&R is really bad sitcom poo poo and I'm glad it's being taken out back and shot before it has a chance to hit The Office levels of bad.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The last season or two of P&R is really bad sitcom poo poo and I'm glad it's being taken out back and shot before it has a chance to hit The Office levels of bad.

I disagree 100% with this post and love the last two seasons of P&R.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wouldn't say that it got that bad but it is like The Office in that once the main characters got married it's just been treading water and getting shittier with everybody regressing into louder and angrier cartoons of themselves. P&R used to be one of my favorite shows because of how warm and fuzzy it was but once Leslie got married and elected to city council they just started making GBS threads on her non-stop in the name of creating drama and it loving sucks.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you kidding me? P&R at it's worst is 1000x better than The Office at it's best. I'll say that 2 - 4 were definitely the shows peak, but I trust the writers to give it a proper send-off.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What's a good Car Violence movie on netflix aside from Mad Max 1 and Death Race 2000? I'm trying to fit in a third one for my background movie streak.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

speshl guy posted:

December 12th so yes

I shouldn't have watched Peaky Blinders first because I'm now making my way through some other Netflix series that I'm behind on and they just don't compare.

Peaky Blinders is the best crime show on Netflix and if you haven't watched it you should.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's downright odd to see Cillian Murphy playing a laconic tough guy. He's good at it but it's a shift.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Every time I see Cillian Murphy my mind paints in the top half of his face with a visor/helmet and I get really upset he wasn't cast as the new robocop

it has made watching Peaky Blinders problematic for me

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's downright odd to see Cillian Murphy playing a laconic tough guy. He's good at it but it's a shift.

I find it hilarious seeing him play a British veteran who is ambiguous, if not antagonistic, to the IRA. He is just so Irish.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Slandible posted:

I just about finished season one of Wentworth and I am pretty impressed with it so far. It's about life in a womens prison, however nothing like Orange is the New Black. No comedy, all drama and drat does it get pretty depressing at times.

You should see the original show it's based on. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077064/ ). Wentworth is soft compared to that.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Nutsak posted:

You should see the original show it's based on. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077064/ ). Wentworth is soft compared to that.

Prisoner is pretty drat soft man, it was a prime time soap opera in the 70s and all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

What's a good Car Violence movie on netflix aside from Mad Max 1 and Death Race 2000? I'm trying to fit in a third one for my background movie streak.

Is Maximum Overdrive still up?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
P&R has gotten pretty cheesy. Angry yelling guy is actually more annoying than Aubrey Plaza (who doesn't have the acting chops to pull off her one note joke of a character).

That said, it's still really funny if you get past all rehashed melodrama.

On that note, I'm really sick of the sitcom formula where everyone has to learn a lesson at the end of each episode. Someone is hurt or upset, and another character has to have a heart to heart with them. It's so overwrought.

That's why I love Peep Show. No one learns anything, it's just two narcissists living their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Broadchurch is up on Swedish netflix, and it's pretty great so far.

Also, I just saw The Dark Crystal on the US list. It's a great old Jim Henson fantasy film.

• Locked thread