Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Barnsy posted:

Not really interested in a sumo (sorry). I'd only get one as a second bike.

They're excellent second bikes. :getin:

e: To add some semblance of an answer to your question all I can say is "probably" and "I've never done it so ignore my rear end"

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A windshield is awesome because on stretches of highway you can just scoot your rear end back and tuck down behind it and all the noise and buffeting disappears.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Barnsy posted:

Here's a question: are naked bikes as fun on a track?

Any bike is fun on the track.
edit: Almost any bike.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 10, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

The only way to experience motorbiking is 130 mph wind on your exposed body every ride.

That naked bikes look way more cooler than all other bikes ever is just lucky coincidence.

Correct.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nsaP posted:

The only way to experience motorbiking is 130 mph wind on your exposed body every ride.

That naked bikes look way more cooler than all other bikes ever is just lucky coincidence.

:hellyeah:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bet you that's not mentioned in the ad when the bike is sold.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Bet you that's not mentioned in the ad when the bike is sold.

Pretty sure sack sweat isn't the only thing thats been on that tank.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

BlackLaser posted:

Anyone have experience with contacts made for people with astigmatism? I tried contacts years ago before they were a thing and had trouble with them staying put on my dumb misshapen eyeballs. My vision would go blurry, I'd blink and they would shift back. Not something I would like to have happen on a motorcycle. Kinda tired of having glasses on my face.

I've got a pretty bad astigmatism and wear Biofinity Torics and have no issues with them whilst riding. The only time i'll have blur issues with them is if I wear them past the 2 week mark, which I do very rarely, and even the it usually takes either blinking or some solution to fix.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Today's stupid question from me is in video form.

Wiggly sidestand: http://youtu.be/8FCKRntv088

Is this a worry?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looks like my GSXR750 side stand. I always spun the bike on the kickstand so I figured that was why it developed play. Never had an issue.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've never seen a bike that doesn't do that.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

M42 posted:

I've never seen a bike that doesn't do that.

hah, told you i was a newbie.

Tho my buddy with a harley's doesnt, but i guess its a whole different thing, he's got a monster of an ultraclassic.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Barnsy posted:

Not really interested in a sumo (sorry). I'd only get one as a second bike.

Do you hate fun? Real reply is yeah I guess they can be a bit limiting. The highway is kinda rough but I have the shittiest possible supermoto, a DRZ, so maybe if I had real motor or 6th gear it would be better.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

nitrogen posted:

Is this a worry?

My GS does the same thing. Just make sure your bike is planted when you park it and all will be good.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Minkee posted:

My GS does the same thing. Just make sure your bike is planted when you park it and all will be good.

Hah. Good warning. I had almost dropped it that day because the sidestand wasn't fully extended...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

When you put down the kickstand, place your foot behind it and yank back on the bars to make sure it's extended all the way out. Saved me a lotta pain once I started doing that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Is this a worry?

Yes it is a worry, but it's a worry for all bikes. Mine is ridiculous, even the bolt holding it is so bent I can't take the sidestand out and bash it straight. It comes from overloading the bike when it's on its side stand, which apparently all bike owners do sooner or later.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I tried to change my oil last night on my ninja 650 and technically succeeded I guess but I couldnt get the filter off.

I had 2 different oil filter wrenches and they wouldnt grip, they just kept slippling when I would apply any pressure at all. The oil filter is kinda between the exhaust header so there is very little room for grip and leverage and maneuvering.

I ran out to an autoparts store and got another one, a strap wrench, and 2 qts cheap motorcycle oil. the new tools still couldn't get the drat thing off, and the strap wrench actually crushed the filter a little.

I'm already scheduled to take it to a dealership next week for new tires and chain/sprockets. I figured at the point where I was damaging things, I'm better off eating the extra 50 bucks in labor and letting a professional deal with it than risk loving it up anymore since I need the bike to get to work. I threw in the cheap oil not wanting to waste good synthetic on a whole 3-4 days of riding.

I don't think so but figured i'd ask - is there any risk in riding with a partially dented filter? it's not going to gently caress up the flow rate or oil pressure or anything significantly will it? It's not crushed like a soda can, but one side is definitely dented in a bit.

By pure coincidence the filter I have sitting here ready to go is a K&N so I wouldnt have to deal with this poo poo anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It'll be fine.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You can punch a screwdriver through the filter if it's hanging out and exposed pretty well. Make sure it's through both sides and then you can spin the filter off. If the filter is that stuck you probably just need to break it loose and then it'll spin off easy. It'll save you 50 bucks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Having done thousands of oil changes I can tell you that doing that will eventually end with you being hosed after you tear the end of the filter off.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I don't know how much grip you can actually get with a strap wrench, but why not just rip it off with some channel locks? You're throwing it out anyways.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Thanks.

It's not even a leverage thing, for some reason the oil filter wrenches just won't grip it, even with a nitrile glove crammed in there to try and add friction and tighten it. On the ninja 650 you only have enough free space to the side of it for maybe a 1/4 turn. It's restricted because the header basically curls around the oil filter. So if at first a screwdriver doesn't succeed, there are now zero options. I know that all it needs is to be broken loose but it apparently doesn't want to go quietly into the night of obsolescence thanks to K&N. The last revenge of Kawasaki's OEM parts I guess. And BlackMK4 describes my exact concern. Right now I can commute until Friday with a dented filter and let someone else take the risk who's probably had to rip off filters applied by musclebros that don't believe in torque specs a thousand times.

I'm sure I could get it off, I'm not sure I could get it off in my apartment's living room with the tools I have at hand and be able to ride to work tomorrow.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Is it too big of a pain in the rear end to undo a couple rear exhaust mounts and loosen the headers for some extra space?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackMK4 posted:

Having done thousands of oil changes I can tell you that doing that will eventually end with you being hosed after you tear the end of the filter off.

I've for sure torn through oil filters. I usually try to get closer to the base of the filter where the metal isn't so flimsy if you have the clearance. It's usually my "god drat it the oil filter wrench and strap wrench won't loving work!" method and I've had good luck in the past. Just don't jam a screwdriver through your oil pickup and don't stab your case.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Will my 01 SV650's battery explode if I leave it in there over winter? Unheated garage (see: dilapidated shed) in Iowa.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I tried to change my oil last night on my ninja 650 and technically succeeded I guess but I couldnt get the filter off.

I had 2 different oil filter wrenches and they wouldnt grip, they just kept slippling when I would apply any pressure at all. The oil filter is kinda between the exhaust header so there is very little room for grip and leverage and maneuvering.

I ran out to an autoparts store and got another one, a strap wrench, and 2 qts cheap motorcycle oil. the new tools still couldn't get the drat thing off, and the strap wrench actually crushed the filter a little.
Strap wrenches suck because motorcycle oil filters are made from tinfoil and you'll only destroy them (as you noticed). Get an oil filter wrench adapter like this or this instead.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Collateral Damage posted:

Strap wrenches suck because motorcycle oil filters are made from tinfoil and you'll only destroy them (as you noticed). Get an oil filter wrench adapter like this

Seconded. What I've found is that even within a given type, they're not all created equal. It's sort of like the difference between an 8 and 12 point socket. You can't get one that sort of fits. You're looking for it to positively snap onto the end, and once you have that, you're off to the races. Take an example of a similar filter into the store and test. If you go the trial and error route, you'll wind up with a big useless adapter collection.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strap wrenches suck because motorcycle oil filters are made from tinfoil and you'll only destroy them (as you noticed). Get an oil filter wrench adapter like this or this instead.

That's a bit pointless for oil filters that are entirely cylindrical.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

K&N Filters come with the nut on the end so you can wrench them off with a regular combo wrench. I buy them exclusively now just for that.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Oglogoth posted:

K&N Filters come with the nut on the end so you can wrench them off with a regular combo wrench. I buy them exclusively now just for that.

This. They're loving wonderful.

And if you're an idiot and torque it on too much you can just use a breaker bar on it.

E: I hate working on my car. Every other bolt is stuck and Ford only sourced bolts made out of the finest cheese. A simply job like removing the alternator ontop of the engine (3 bolts) involves a hammer, PB blaster, the largest wrench you can fit there, and armored motorcycle gloves so you don't bust a knuckle. gently caress working on cars. VVVVV

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every time this poo poo comes up my eyes threaten to roll out the back of my head because removing oil filters on motorbikes simply isn't that difficult. It just isn't. Try working on a car.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The only thing I can think is that someone tightened enough that it squished the seal and is now overtorqued metal on metal. I would use whatever method you need and then tighten the next one to spec or possibly a little less.
I've hand tightened every spin on filter I've ever installed on cars (17 years as a mechanic) and motorcycles (20something years of riding and fixing) and have never had one come loose.

I always find that new mechanics tend to way overtighten poo poo. With basic oil changes going to the low man you tend to see a poo poo load of hulked on filters and stripped plugs. I tell all my apprentices to use a torque wrench until they get a feel for poo poo and then still use the torque wrench if there is any doubt at all.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Xpostin!

M42 posted:

Yuasa YTX12-BS good for an 05 sv650, or is there something better?

:ssh:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bugdrvr posted:

I always find that new mechanics tend to way overtighten poo poo. With basic oil changes going to the low man you tend to see a poo poo load of hulked on filters and stripped plugs. I tell all my apprentices to use a torque wrench until they get a feel for poo poo and then still use the torque wrench if there is any doubt at all.

This is so true. Torque specs are never as high as I think they are going to be, except shocks on the rear end of a friend's Jeep.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Every time this poo poo comes up my eyes threaten to roll out the back of my head because removing oil filters on motorbikes simply isn't that difficult. It just isn't. Try working on a car.

Some of the Hondas with the filter way up the back or the dodge diesels that you need to prefill and torque the poo poo out of.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Xpostin!

Yes, all Yuasas are solid.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mainks posted:

Will my 01 SV650's battery explode if I leave it in there over winter? Unheated garage (see: dilapidated shed) in Iowa.

Why not take it out and keep it inside on a tender?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Some of the Hondas with the filter way up the back or the dodge diesels that you need to prefill and torque the poo poo out of.

Or drat near every Toyota. They love hiding them behind the exhaust manifold or some other inaccessible spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Yes, all Yuasas are solid.

Seconding (assuming that's the correct size battery). Touch wood, I'm half way through my second winter on one on the Shiver with no issues, not even requiring a quick zap from the charger (I know this doesn't sound impressive buy Aprilias are notorious for eating batteries and I only have a short commute so normally I have to chuck it on a charger at least once a month through winter).