Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
Super pissed that we didn't actually see Raina's transformation. But we did get another quick glimpse after the eyeball/face-spike closeup that nobody's noticed yet, and I think it might be significant:

When SkyeDaisy and Raina cocoon up, they're directly across from one another. But a few seconds later, during Skye's earthquake, we get an overhead shot of the room -- and Raina is completely gone. The spot she was standing, and the wall behind it, are visible, but she's not there.

Right after that, we get a montage of reaction shots as the earthquake hits. The first shot is really fast -- but I'm pretty sure it's Raina! Still in the room, staring with weird eyes, hard to see -- just a face amidst swirling smoke.

Maybe she's become invisible, or transparent? Hard to say with such a quick shot, but that overhead where she was nowhere to be found might be a clue...

Seriously I have to wait until March for this? Argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Takei is Okay posted:

Super pissed that we didn't actually see Raina's transformation. But we did get another quick glimpse after the eyeball/face-spike closeup that nobody's noticed yet, and I think it might be significant:

When SkyeDaisy and Raina cocoon up, they're directly across from one another. But a few seconds later, during Skye's earthquake, we get an overhead shot of the room -- and Raina is completely gone. The spot she was standing, and the wall behind it, are visible, but she's not there.

Right after that, we get a montage of reaction shots as the earthquake hits. The first shot is really fast -- but I'm pretty sure it's Raina! Still in the room, staring with weird eyes, hard to see -- just a face amidst swirling smoke.

Maybe she's become invisible, or transparent? Hard to say with such a quick shot, but that overhead where she was nowhere to be found might be a clue...

I was watching for that and saw her obscured by the smoke, but I assumed that was cinematic obscurement (to leave her a surprise for later) and not superpower-based. Could be either one, though, good eye on the overhead.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Soylentbits posted:

It's this ridiculous thing that started on tumblr a while back. People draw characters holding other characters like Jack and Rose on Titanic. It got to a point where anybody presenting any character pairing on a boat or on some type of aquatic vehicle or dressed like Titanic characters were shipped. It is immensely stupid and you're better off not diving too deeply into it.

It's hilarious how people act like this is some new phenomenon. People have been shipping since at least the 70s. People went nuts with Star Trek fan-fic

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Soylentbits posted:

It's this ridiculous thing that started on tumblr a while back. People draw characters holding other characters like Jack and Rose on Titanic. It got to a point where anybody presenting any character pairing on a boat or on some type of aquatic vehicle or dressed like Titanic characters were shipped. It is immensely stupid and you're better off not diving too deeply into it.

Okkkkkkaaaaay so it's just a term I havent really heard of used in that way for obsessed idiots wishful thinking or slash-fics.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Seeing Coulson bust out some BJJ moves on daddy was awesome. Clark Gregg is a pretty capable fighter himself and it's cool that they let him use it in the show.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Oh yeah. But isn't agent carter going to be 10 episodes? I think the first one is a double so that would mean there's another double episode too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Himuro posted:

I don't like season 2 of Agents of SHIELD so far.

In typical comic book fashion they have taken a great, fun, simple concept and turned it into a self serious emo shitshow.

Season 2 displays almost none of the charm, humor, or fun of season 1. It's a depressing, boring, plodding hot mess that doesn't know what it wants to be in terms of tone whose plot moves too slow to get invested in anything. The new characters are boring, too. I don't even know their names aside from Bobbi. It's okay, but hardly fun comedic spy nerd show of the original season. My boyfriend and I have aughed a few times once and we are seven episodes in.

I doubt it'll get better. The characters aren't even characters anymore. The character interaction of season 1? Gone. Skye is basically a non-character now. She hasn't hacked once this entire season and displays none of her past ideological underpinnings that made me like her. All she cares about is finding her dad and doing what Coulson says and being May-lite.

Lola, the camaraderie of Fitz-Simmons, the lighthearted banter between May and Ward, the relationships of the team, all of it has taken a step back to some alien claptrap and the characters was what made me like Agents of Shield to begin with. This new season is like watching some a sci-fi spy Law and Order rather than something resembling a show based off a line of comic books and I find the amount of praise it has received this season to be frankly, odd.

I prefer S2 but you still make some valid points. It's a shame that Skye's politics have been tossed to the wayside so completely. They could have handled it at least a little bit better. Other things you say are true, too. And you're right that it's become super serious compared to season one. I just generally think that's a good thing. RVamp sums up my thoughts best:

Republican Vampire posted:

If you know the Marvel universe it's just "Oh, that's how they're doing Mr. Hyde and Quake", whereas if you don't, your understanding of Skye is more complex. You can see how she's shed her Rising Tide ideals after seeing how out of their depth they are, being betrayed by a fellow member, and seeing the more relateable side of SHIELD. You can see her growing tougher and more calloused, especially when it comes to her relationship with ward. And then you can see her getting super powers out of nowhere with mysterious hints to a backstory to be revealed. It's about character development and poo poo.

It's a big deal because this character you've watched and connected with has turned into something else entirely and a lot of what you know about her is going to change.

If you took Season 2 Skye compared to Season 1 Skye, completely out of context, S1 is more interesting. S2 Skye was basically just a newbie SHIELD agent with no actual interesting traits of her own. She had a vague mysterious past and is tied to interesting characters, but those aren't really traits of her own. Comparatively, S1 Skye has more interesting skills and viewpoints.

But that's only if you take her completely out of context, which you can't do. Season 2 Skye becomes interesting when you look at her holistically, see who she is now compared to where she came from, see her current relationship and interactions with Ward compared to where she started.

I felt the same way about FitzSimmons, the evolution of their relationship and Fitz's new struggles were really interesting to watch, considering where they came from. Their old dynamic was cute, but often trite. There are hundreds of shows with empty banter between static characters already, I much prefer a show with dynamic characters that change and shift.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jusupov posted:

Oh yeah. But isn't agent carter going to be 10 episodes? I think the first one is a double so that would mean there's another double episode too.

It's eight seven.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

How many of those do they have?

Because now I'm just waiting for Ward to show up with an entire strike team of Skyes.

THAT'S NOT THEIR NAMES!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Takei is Okay posted:

Reina is the smoke monster from Lost.

At the bottom of the Kree city is a device that moves the island of Puerto Rico.

It's all happened before.

We have to go back, Ward. We have to go back!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Wow. Yeah, I'm in the "DVRed it, saw 650 replies, knew it would be good" club, too. If that's the MID season finale, I'm excited to see how it ramps up even further from here.

Definitely lots of "why didn't you put a bullet in their head" moments, though. Yeah, shots to center of mass usually do the trick but they're already so familiar with lots of different serums, devices and alien tech at this point that nothing should be taken for granted.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Really hope that's not the end for Whitehall, though he's kind of extraneous at this point -- the Agent 33 plot is certainly going to benefit from him being dead, at least in the short term.

Reed Diamond was the loving man, though. Totally commanding performance as a believably repulsive human being. That moment when he turned and looked at the Doctor, just before Whitehall dies, was chilling. Completely unintimidated. Kinda hope his magic organs save his life in the short term, because I was looking forward to him being smashed into a pulp (though I appreciate the irony of the control freak being undermined by an anti-climactic bullet to the back).

His buttoned down, hands-off crazy is a great contrast to Cal's barely restrained madness. I'd love to have seen more of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Really hope that's not the end for Whitehall,

Second show called Shield he died in, but did they need to reuse Bawitdaba?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

New cast member incoming: Blair Underwood.

Time to start taking bets on how long he lives? Will he get the Lucy Lawless, and be offed in his first epsiode? Or will he go the B.J. Britt route, and get offed after showing up briefly in a handful of episodes? Or will he not be offed at all?

And for the Marvel Comics Super :spergin:s, is Dr. Andrew Garner an existing character, or brand new?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Reed Diamond was the loving man, though. Totally commanding performance as a believably repulsive human being. That moment when he turned and looked at the Doctor, just before Whitehall dies, was chilling. Completely unintimidated.

Yeah, their staredown was great:

Best Day Ever!

What a killstealer. :rolleyes: Makes sense that he plays Call of Duty.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Will be disappointed in goonmanity if nobody abuses that into an "I came" thing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They should get Ted Danson to come back as the resurrected Whitehall.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy gently caress that finale UNNNFFFFFF

They turned that dial up to 11 goddamn :suspense:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
In this episode Skye acts retarded with a gun and does gets into crazy situations because she is a professional.

Love how she implied she was also gonna gun down her unarmed dad but some silly emotions got in the way.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The cast put together a really sweet farewell video to B.J. Britt. :)

http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield/news/fan-hq/12102014-goodbye-trip-bj-britt

Some really fun behind the scenes shots, an adorable farewell from Brett Dalton and his daughter(?), and Clark Gregg wants to do a #TripLives campaign. Really cool to see the camaraderie among the cast.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Regarde Aduck posted:

In this episode Skye acts retarded with a gun and does gets into crazy situations because she is a professional.

Love how she implied she was also gonna gun down her unarmed dad but some silly emotions got in the way.

You're dumb. She acted quite competently with a gun. She put three in Ward, and left because execution is different than combat. She wanted to kill her dad but couldn't, and who could blame her? He had mental issues but obviously cared deeply for her. She was apologetic to Coulson because she felt like she just chose one dad over another.

You expect her to double tap a downed opponent like she's the Punisher or it's Call of Duty?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bruceski posted:

I still don't know what Trainspotting's real name is, when someone says it I can remember for about three minutes.

"British Hawkeye." :colbert:

Gonz posted:

Of course the daughter of Muad'Dad knows the weirding way.

:golfclap:

Whitehall was old when he got the MomSpleen, it rejuvenated him. He MIGHT come back from being shot once. We'll see what the story requires.

Mr. Hyde, in the original short story, was a lunatic who had no self control and was freakishly strong, probably due to adrenaline. This portrayal of him is actually more frightening than someone who hulks out, because you never know if if he's going to throttle you and throw you around until he's doing it. I like what they're doing on this show.

Barry Convex posted:

Yes, and the Kree corpse that was "introduced" on SHIELD was relevant to the two living Kree that appeared in GOTG because

They're all Kree. What is wrong with you.

Dan Didio posted:

Crazy to look back at a time when S.H.I.E.L.D. existed. RIP.

You guys can't see the forest for the trees, but there is a League of Negative Nancy's (L.O.N.N.) forming here. The Contrarian, the Pedant, and the Newcomer (forums posters Dan Didio, Barry Convex, and Himuro, respectively) have already made their appearances, but will not officially team up yet until all members make an appearance. I'm pretty close to losing my poo poo and joining, as the Vindicated, honestly, but my origin story is taking for loving ever to play out.

tl;dr: Listen to me, chuckleheads. I'm always right and I need you to acknowledge it, 1984-style, before I destroy you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What the...!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Metropolis posted:

If Ward is serious about getting together with Skye, he needs the DL on the face-changing technology Agent 33 used. Then he can re-infiltrate SHIELD, join Skye's team, and try to get her to fall in love with him while hoping to christ his disguise isn't compromised.

Why would Ward have to use the face-changing technology on himself? There's a much creepier way that he could use the face-changing technology...

:ohdear:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Soylentbits posted:

It's this ridiculous thing that started on tumblr a while back.

The Sharmat posted:

It's derived from relationSHIP. It's a phenomenon that as far as I know originates in the early days of mass internet use in the 90's and refers to people rooting for two characters to get together romantically whether or not they actually show any inclination towards each other at all.
Oh, you sweet summer children.

This poo poo goes back to literally Kirk/Spock.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Mr. Hyde, in the original short story, was a lunatic who had no self control and was freakishly strong, probably due to adrenaline. This portrayal of him is actually more frightening than someone who hulks out, because you never know if if he's going to throttle you and throw you around until he's doing it. I like what they're doing on this show.
If Cal was being portrayed by a different actor, I'd might disagree. Chugging a potion to hulk out and smash poo poo? That does sound pretty great, unoriginal, but classic. Kyle MacLachlan though, or someone with his level of skill at playing a complete lunatic, would be absolutely wasted on a cliche like that. They made the right call with the right actor.

Besides, you never know if his current state is the result of Hyde potion 1.0, and he could return with a new and improved version that is more like the comic's hulk-out style. If Whitehall does return somehow, and Cal hears about it, that sounds like a believable crazy person progression. "Oh yeah? I'm going to kill that son of a bitch even deader than before! Like, turbo-dead! Where's my chemistry set..."

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 11, 2014

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So has the Koening thumbs=up been gif'd yet?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Codependent Poster posted:

They should get Ted Danson to come back as the resurrected Whitehall.

Only if he reprises his character traits from Bored To Death.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

So has the Koening thumbs=up been gif'd yet?

Sure

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I look forward to the next episode where Agent 33 is treating Ward's wounds.

Agent 33: So... Skye doesn't like you.
Ward: She'll come around.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I just want Agent 33 to get deprogrammed :(.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ladyboy pancake posted:

I just want Agent 33 to get deprogrammed :(.

Ward's gonna screw with the programming and she's gonna end up looking like Skye.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

If you weren't already convinced enough about this show and Inhumans Marvel's facebook page posted this

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blair Underwood will join the show as May's ex-husband.
http://www.movieweb.com/agents-shield-season-2-cast-blair-underwood

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Elucidarius posted:

If you weren't already convinced enough about this show and Inhumans Marvel's facebook page posted this

NOPE STILL DON'T ACCEPT THAT THEY ARE INHUMANS.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Elucidarius posted:

Interesting picture they used there for the article - instead of the royal family, or even Kamala Khan or Reader or something, isn't that they yellow-eyed detective dude that one of the posters here has often suggested should be on the show? Is he the main character of one of the books or something?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Elucidarius posted:

Photoshop. :colbert:

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Interesting picture they used there for the article - instead of the royal family, or even Kamala Khan or Reader or something, isn't that they yellow-eyed detective dude that one of the posters here has often suggested should be on the show? Is he the main character of one of the books or something?

That would be Dante/Inferno similar to the Human Torch. The guy you're refering to is Nur who has only been in two issues so far. I've definitely been enjoying that part of the story so here's to hoping it comes back.

Edit: Dante is the main character the first few issues of Inhuman. From what I can see aside form the royal drama the series ,Inhuman, is about new Inhumans dealing with their powers.

Elucidarius fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
So is the basic thinking that the Inhumans movie will end with a terragenesis bomb transforming large parts of the world into super people and Civil War about Iron Man wanting to have these guys registered since they're untrained and dangerous and Captain America opposing that because that's basically World War 2 nazi thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I've seen some shops in my day...

• Locked thread