Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wolfbiker posted:

Is there another keyboard that does custom shortcuts and will automatically correct things like "uu" to "you", "ur" to "your", "ure" to "you're", etc.
Google Keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Speaking of Google Keyboard, how the hell do you get it to stop autocompleting emojoiis in place of actual words?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Speaking of Google Keyboard, how the hell do you get it to stop autocompleting emojoiis in place of actual words?
Google Keyboard Settings -> Text correction -> Add-on dictionaries -> Emoji for English words -> Delete

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Just decided to test out my soundcloud app and it's bugging out hard, can't play 90% of the tunes i'm trying to listen to for some reason - i get this unable to playback track message, it automatically skips to the next track, rinse and repeat. I managed to somehow pause a track right before i got the message and skipped past the 0:00 mark and track plays just fine, anyone else had any similar issues with it?

edit: Reinstalling it fixed it, weird bug i guess.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 11, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gyshall posted:

I didn't even know it did that to begin with, is it some setting you have to toggle on?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Tunga posted:

Google Keyboard?

Nah, it only puts the word in the suggestion box, doesn't autocorrect the shortcut to the word.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

FAUXTON posted:

I didn't even know it did that to begin with, is it some setting you have to toggle on?

Not sure, I'm on my Moto X 2014 and it started happening when I upgraded to Lollipop.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

wolfbiker posted:

Nah, it only puts the word in the suggestion box, doesn't autocorrect the shortcut to the word.

You can set this up by going to Text correction > personal dictionary > [your language] > +

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

dik-dik posted:

You can set this up by going to Text correction > personal dictionary > [your language] > +

Doesn't autocorrect unfortunately. The word appears in the suggestion box but hitting space doesn't autocorrect the shortcut to the word.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Ohhh I see what you mean. That's annoying.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

vulturesrow posted:

What determines whether an app can be moved to the SD card or not? I have an LG 8.3 tablet and it only had 16g of space, of which about 4.5 was taken by system files and what not. I've moved everything I can to a 32g card I bought but some of the biggest offenders can't be moved to the SD card.
Yeah, this has been a problem since ever, it's different per app and there's nothing you can do about it. Even when you 'move' an app to the card you don't move the entire application either, and the amount that gets held back in main storage varies a lot as well. In addition, some apps insist on using the main storage for your data, and some insist on using the card even if you have main storage available. It's a mess and a hassle and why I recommend against getting Android poo poo with removable media when anyone asks me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...re-integration/

Looks like Google just went after Amazon due to Amazon packaging their App Store in the main Amazon.com app. If you search for the main Amazon app in the store, you won't find it but you will find "Amazon Shopping". If you download that, it's the exact same app as the original "Amazon" but it won't have the appstore.

Amazon's official statement doesn't really fit with what's happening either.

quote:

Amazon's supposed statement to the aforementioned blog says this is in response to a policy change in September, but that doesn't seem connected. That's when Google started requiring addresses for paid apps and those with IAPs. Amazon doesn't have either, and has a business address anyway. The only difference between the two apps appears to be the Appstore. We're still looking into this.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
If I'm using google voice and hangouts for messaging, is there a way to stop the email notifications so I stop getting double notifications on every message recieved?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Manifest Dynasty posted:

If I'm using google voice and hangouts for messaging, is there a way to stop the email notifications so I stop getting double notifications on every message recieved?

You'll have to go into the settings on the Voice website and disable the email notifications from there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolfbiker posted:

Doesn't autocorrect unfortunately. The word appears in the suggestion box but hitting space doesn't autocorrect the shortcut to the word.

Look into phraseexpress. I think it does system wide text expansion.

So you can set up text that gets expanded to whatever.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Looks like Action Launcher 3 should be going live in the next few hours. Turns out, I won't be installing it, despite what I said before, because 1-Swipe and the QuickPage have been cut out (and probably won't return) due to changes made in Lollipop. If those features break when my Turbo gets its eventual update to 5.0, I'll switch then, but I'll just stay on AL 2.

Edit: looks like it's live

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore

So, it's just a better looking version that does less. Pass (for now).

XIII fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 11, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there a way to keep the Okay Google thing with AL3?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

XIII posted:

Looks like Action Launcher 3 should be going live in the next few hours. Turns out, I won't be installing it, despite what I said before, because 1-Swipe and the QuickPage have been cut out (and probably won't return) due to changes made in Lollipop. If those features break when my Turbo gets its eventual update to 5.0, I'll switch then, but I'll just stay on AL 2.

Edit: looks like it's live

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore

So, it's just a better looking version that does less. Pass (for now).

Yeah this just looks like the regular Google launcher. Not really sure what the point is anymore.

Skeezy posted:

Is there a way to keep the Okay Google thing with AL3?

You can set that up from within Google Now so you can use OK Google from any screen. No longer tied to the launcher you use.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 11, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So I guess the "totally unique headliner feature" is Quicktheme? Seems like a lot of effort for questionable return.

I'm glad Covers and Shutters are still in there, but what I really want Action Launcher to have is drawer groups.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Quicktheme is neat if you use something like muzei but otherwise meh. It's buggy though. Getting all kinds of launcher crashes when I try use the shutter on anything in the dock.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Drawer groups would certainly be nice. But being able to slide out a page with a widget for Google Music and one for BeyondPod, along with a few apps/shortcuts I use a lot, was 90% of why I like AL. Besides being quickly turn on music from within another app, it let me have a single page homescreen with zero clutter. I know I could replicate this with something like SwipePad, but I'd prefer it to be baked into an app I'm already using.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

XIII posted:

Drawer groups would certainly be nice. But being able to slide out a page with a widget for Google Music and one for BeyondPod, along with a few apps/shortcuts I use a lot, was 90% of why I like AL. Besides being quickly turn on music from within another app, it let me have a single page homescreen with zero clutter. I know I could replicate this with something like SwipePad, but I'd prefer it to be baked into an app I'm already using.

Agreed completely. Any idea of SwipePad works on Lollipop? 1-Swipe wasn't working for me after the upgrade.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dik-dik posted:

Agreed completely. Any idea of SwipePad works on Lollipop? 1-Swipe wasn't working for me after the upgrade.

SwipePad works fine on Lollipop. I don't know what I would do without it, especially once I got around to sticking folders on it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I hope that after a few updates this stops being such an ugly, buggy mess. Also, I can get over the loss of QuickDrawer, but I'm not switching until changing icons is supported. That's just basic stuff.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

This happens with many app rewrites. He will eventually work the features back into it.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Is the Plex app worth shelling out $5 for to sync my music and movies between my computer and my phone? This is the one thing that I haven't dealt with yet after swapping from an iPhone, and I'm tired of not having anything to listen to on the T.

Fakeedit: Does the subscription service to Plex provide free access to the app?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Zhent posted:

Is the Plex app worth shelling out $5 for to sync my music and movies between my computer and my phone? This is the one thing that I haven't dealt with yet after swapping from an iPhone, and I'm tired of not having anything to listen to on the T.

Yes it does and you need a PlexPass subscription for offline movie watching

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zhent posted:

Not really as it goes free in amazon's app store often. I got it a few months ago but I didn't realize I needed to keep my PC on to access my files too.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

What determines whether an app can be moved to the SD card or not? I have an LG 8.3 tablet and it only had 16g of space, of which about 4.5 was taken by system files and what not. I've moved everything I can to a 32g card I bought but some of the biggest offenders can't be moved to the SD card.

If it's rooted, this will help. I had the same problem; with just a few apps I was completely filled up on the internal storage.

But if you do the Link2SD you can completely moved apps to the SD card.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

uapyro posted:

If it's rooted, this will help. I had the same problem; with just a few apps I was completely filled up on the internal storage.

But if you do the Link2SD you can completely moved apps to the SD card.

Might need to go this route.Thanks for the tip.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone tried the new material theme for Google keyboard? I really love material overall but good god is this theme an abomination.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

Has anyone tried the new material theme for Google keyboard? I really love material overall but good god is this theme an abomination.

How do you mean? I love it!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

dik-dik posted:

How do you mean? I love it!
The lack of any dividers between the keys really throws me off. Other than the circular emoticon button, i don't really get how its material either. The prediction bar for some reason does have dividers, and a different font, and just completely clashes with everything else. The holo one is way nicer looking.
Its also as flat as can be, when material is supposed to be about using depth and texture to enhance function.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 12, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

The lack of any dividers between the keys really throws me off. Other than the circular emoticon button, i don't really get how its material either. The prediction bar for some reason does have dividers, and a different font, and just completely clashes with everything else. The holo one is way nicer looking.
Its also as flat as can be, when material is supposed to be about using depth and texture to enhance function.

Huh. I really like the lack of dividers, and the prediction bar font looks exactly the same as the keyboard font. If there's a difference, I'm not seeing it:

Also I thought flatness was supposed to be part of the whole material design thing but maybe I'm wrong? :shrug:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't you get it? Its different therefore it's worse.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/11/data-conservation-improved-gender-identity-options-come-google-app-post-pinning-way/

The G+ app now have data conservation features and the ability to be ANY gender you want by choosing "Custom".

The comments on this AP article are much worse than usual because of the gender thing. hah

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wadjamaloo posted:

The lack of any dividers between the keys really throws me off.
Stop trying to hit the exact letter that you want to hit and just type as fast as you can. The notion of individual keys on a touchscreen is meaningless, and has been for a long time now. Google wants you to let go.

(I watch my mum typing away on her N4 and backspacing everytime she hits one wrong letter and it drives me mad.)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/11/data-conservation-improved-gender-identity-options-come-google-app-post-pinning-way/

The G+ app now have data conservation features and the ability to be ANY gender you want by choosing "Custom".

The comments on this AP article are much worse than usual because of the gender thing. hah

Why did I look? :psyduck:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Anyone else having problems with widgets not updating on Lollipop? I'm using the stock calendar widget and its not updating as new things get added to the calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Athenry posted:

Anyone else having problems with widgets not updating on Lollipop? I'm using the stock calendar widget and its not updating as new things get added to the calendar.
While the only widgets I use are the Now widget, Dashclock, and ADW Twitter and Agenda, all four update perfectly fine on all my devices. Using Nova.

• Locked thread