Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Logan 5 posted:

Holy gently caress guys, how is the worst change not mentioned anywhere in either the patch notes or here? You can no longer bomb into shops, curse rooms, double locked rooms, etc. from adjacent secret rooms, either with bombs or some kind of exploding shot (ipecac, fetus, etc.). I've tried several times and can confirm.

I really loving hope this is a mistake and unintentional, cause it is the woooooorst.

:wtc:

At this point they're just sitting around going "what can we do to take every last ounce of fun from this game" because they figured The Lost wasn't enough. gently caress off, Edmund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

They can't, but there was an exploit. It was patched, but I'm still running the old version of the game.

Is there a way to revert if the patch dropped already or were you just not connected? This no bombing poo poo is stupid

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Playing with the patch I noticed a small improvement in one room's layout:

Also, I had some fun with Godhead, Little Planet, Quad shot and Chocolate Milk that run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Scorps posted:

Is there a way to revert if the patch dropped already or were you just not connected? This no bombing poo poo is stupid

I don't know, I tried to launch the game before the update finished downloading and it prompted me to either download the update or boot the game up in its unpatched form. I was connected, apparently my timing was just good.

no idea if you can revert the patching, probably not

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Crotch Bat posted:

At this point they're just sitting around going "what can we do to take every last ounce of fun from this game" because they figured The Lost wasn't enough. gently caress off, Edmund.

Just last page someone said it was a bug and they're going to fix it. Jesus Christ I'm sorry they nerfed Dark Bum a tiny bit and locked out your seed cheevos.

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 11, 2014

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I don't know, I tried to launch the game before the update finished downloading and it prompted me to either download the update or boot the game up in its unpatched form. I was connected, apparently my timing was just good.

no idea if you can revert the patching, probably not

That's what I thought, hopefully the fix drops again in timely fashion today since he was right on top of that seed fixing business

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Crotch Bat posted:

I think single player balance patches are a little silly, myself, but this is a bug, as has been mentioned. Try not to have an aneurysm.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Just a little warning for anyone that cares about achievements. Mods can still unlock the secrets, but that locks you out of the achievement. So if you got Platinum God or Real Platinum God on a modded game, you can't get the achievement unless you start a whole new save file. (Just use SAM.)

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Seed: OVA2 FR4X

Details: Ipecac on Basement 1. Pyromaniac on Basement 2. Habit in a shop on Caves 1.

Have fun.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vic Boss posted:

Just last page someone said it was a bug and they're going to fix it. Jesus Christ I'm sorry they nerfed Dark Bum a tiny bit and locked our your seed cheevos.

Pretty sure the folks complaining about dark bum probably haven't used the new one, dude is still fairly powerful. The spider chance is pretty low - I found two womb heart rooms in one run and out of the 10 bum triggers 8 or so were soul hearts.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Picking up Dark Bum for the first time since the update, he threw a spider in my face :thumbsup:

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Sloober posted:

Pretty sure the folks complaining about dark bum probably haven't used the new one, dude is still fairly powerful. The spider chance is pretty low - I found two womb heart rooms in one run and out of the 10 bum triggers 8 or so were soul hearts.

Pretty sure folks are hosed in general. I think I'm like one of 3 people who think this patch is pretty good, other than it causing some bugs as a side effect. Dark Bum needed a nerf because it was so strong it became a meme. And now it got a tiny bit less strong and everyone has poo poo their britches.

Fans: the worst fans.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

I'll gladly take a few item nerfs if it means burrowing enemies are sane now.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Finally, that took forever

Started with Ipecac, early Placenta, then Habit and Fanny Pack. Still it took forever to get Monster Manual. Thankfully I got Wafer and Blood Penny in Womb and I didn't need to wait for regen anymore.

Only Missing No, Guardian Angel and Super bandage left, not counting the Lost bullshit.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Vic Boss posted:

Pretty sure folks are hosed in general. I think I'm like one of 3 people who think this patch is pretty good, other than it causing some bugs as a side effect. Dark Bum needed a nerf because it was so strong it became a meme. And now it got a tiny bit less strong and everyone has poo poo their britches.

Fans: the worst fans.

To be fair, you are being lovely and annoying about people saying they don't like nerfs in a single-player non-competitive game, when that is a completely reasonable attitude to have. You don't have to agree to be understanding.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never seen people freak out so much about minor balance changes in a roguelike.

EDIT: Did this patch gently caress up the drop rates too? Playing on normal but haven't seen any heart drops and barely any bomb/keys.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 11, 2014

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

I don't even know why this bothers anyone. grrr bawww these people cheated at a single-player game?

like I really don't get it

Late reply, but it really doesn't bother me much. The first post I made in this thread was basically "this is a single player game so IDGAF." Basically, I don't care, but I think some people are depriving themselves from some really interesting challenges that take on the BoI formula from a new angle. That's all. :neckbeard:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Apparently, items that you get from Missingno changing your stuff count towards your items on the 'stuff I found' sheet. It's given me The Soul and ???'s Only Friend, despite not ever seeing them in-game.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Ilyich posted:

Apparently, items that you get from Missingno changing your stuff count towards your items on the 'stuff I found' sheet. It's given me The Soul and ???'s Only Friend, despite not ever seeing them in-game.

However, related to this, summoning familiars like Guardian Angel through Monster Manuel doesn't add them to your "stuff I found" list. But the Meat Boy/Bandage Girl cheevos do trigger.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a list of patch notes?

Any news on whether using the original music counts as a mod? How do you even see if your game counts as "modded"? And what's this about Dark Bum?
All I've been able to gather is that enemies now no longer teleport on top of you, so I guess those of us who called it a bug got the last laugh in the earlier The Lost discussion :cheeky:

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Music mod for original isaac music isn't flagged for no achievements. The part where you see the patch number will be red if it detects a mod. Dark bum has been nerfed again, now he can drop spiders.

Worklurker fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 11, 2014

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Worklurker posted:

Music mod for original isaac music isn't flagged for no achievements. The part where you see the patch number will be red if it detects a mod. Dark bum has been nerfed again, now he can drop spiders.

Do you have a link? I have had Music off for weeks.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
I'm using a music mod right now on my game. Unfortunately I can't show you right now, as I am at work. But yeah I've seen screenshots of when the game will tell you that it is modded. Red patch font with the words mod rightnext to it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Stokes posted:

Seed: OVA2 FR4X

Details: Ipecac on Basement 1. Pyromaniac on Basement 2. Habit in a shop on Caves 1.

Have fun.

this gave me the D6 and not Pyromaniac on Basement 2

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Your Computer posted:

All I've been able to gather is that enemies now no longer teleport on top of you, so I guess those of us who called it a bug got the last laugh in the earlier The Lost discussion :cheeky:

That would be everyone besides that one poster who tried to argue that uncontrollable telefrags are a feature of the roguelike genre.

I do agree that balance patches for a single player game are a little silly, and the no mods thing smacks of "MY PERFECT DEVELOPER VISION." But I am glad that Ed/Nicalis are bucking the trend of buggy, unfinished roguelikes on Steam and actually supporting their product.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I think seeded runs are weird if one person doesn't have something unlocked. I noticed when I was trying various ones out that I would continually get things like Lil Chad or Steven, or some of the more rare challenge unlocks instead of one of the things they listed, I think that seeds sometimes substitute items in if you don't have them unlocked. In this case I would guess whatever seed you used that the person doesn't actually have D6 unlocked yet and thats why Pyro shows for them.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Should have probably mentioned that you should start with Isaac as he already has the D6.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So transforming to Guppy with a triple shot homing Mom's knife will kill the Lamb before he even loses his head :D

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Assuming the removal of impossible rooms means the must take damage/have bombs and spiders behind a large gap rooms are gone then I'm down with this patch. Though not being able to bomb into special rooms is pretty lame.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Mega Satan doesn't unlock anything, right? I'm not super excited about having to do a million runs just to find Dad's Key or get lucky with angel rooms so I was thinking of using a seed where Dad's Key is guaranteed to just try to beat Mega Satan.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jibo posted:

Assuming the removal of impossible rooms means the must take damage/have bombs and spiders behind a large gap rooms are gone then I'm down with this patch. Though not being able to bomb into special rooms is pretty lame.

Is this why I couldn't bomb my way into a boss challenge room from a secret room?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jibo posted:

Though not being able to bomb into special rooms is pretty lame.

it's a bug

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Yes, and it has been mentioned like 20 times on this page. That doesn't make it not lame though.

Kurtofan posted:

Is this why I couldn't bomb my way into a boss challenge room from a secret room?

Yes

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fortis posted:

Mega Satan doesn't unlock anything, right? I'm not super excited about having to do a million runs just to find Dad's Key or get lucky with angel rooms so I was thinking of using a seed where Dad's Key is guaranteed to just try to beat Mega Satan.

Just a single ending, no specic character-item requirements. Just one Mega Satan kill is all you need to do, ever.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I dunno what you guys are doing but half the time I end up with the mega satan key without even trying, it seems like it's any time I get krampus or red chests in my basement 2 devil room practically.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AndroidHub posted:

I dunno what you guys are doing but half the time I end up with the mega satan key without even trying, it seems like it's any time I get krampus or red chests in my basement 2 devil room practically.

Or something not worth it or whatever, yeah. Only problem is that Hard mode definitely tweaks the Devil/Angel room appearance back towards regular BOI levels and you may not see enough to even build it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
After a couple days of attempts I finally got lucky and cheesed suicide king by getting a lucky basement 1 curse room -> devil room with brimstone and ceremonial robes, giving me a slower, non-flying Azazel start. In the next curse room I picked up Guppy's head, so I bought 9-volt and habit at the next couple of shops, and on caves 2, I found Tammy's head in a gold chest and it was game over from there.

I really liked the original music, but the new stuff has really grown on me, to the point where I'll switch in between runs.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Think I just created my best Isaac and i'm only in caves I.

Mulligan, Flying, 9 lives, coal, brother bobby, harlequin, meatcube and book of belial (pending something better)

I fly. I constantly create blue flies with my firepower. And.. yeah .. thats it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I've only found the Dollar once in all my hours of Rebirth, so quite rare I'd say. The fortune telling machine now drops hearts or trinkets much less frequently than it used to as well.

I've found the Dollar twice in a single floor before, 3 times in a single run. I was trying to use piggy bank + habit + blood donation + slot machines to try to get infinite charges for the monster manual for meat/bandage girl farming but noooo, the machines kept exploding on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dr. Fetus posted:

What are the chances of a dollar dropping from the slot machine? I'm trying to get it, but it's like a lot more rare now. I used to get that thing all the time in WOTL Isaac.

I found a slot machine in the womb, got a dollar out of it, popped one of the wheel of fortune cards that it spawned, and got another dollar.

Naturally this was one of those runs where the donation machine broke at like, 4 cents.