Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the utility is zero then our values are negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ActusRhesus posted:

This. The question is not whether or not it was effective.

the question is whether or not we as a nation want to go there in the first place.

Well I think ultimately that's the true question, but right now most Americans would say "yes, absolutely," so emphasizing torture's ineffectiveness is a workable talking point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Our government has shown through inaction that it is complicit in and approves of torture. While I believe a large percentage of Americans are pro torture, it doesn't even matter since we have no agency in that.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2014

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

FizFashizzle posted:

Arguing with someone against torture by citing its ineffectiveness implies its use would be valid were it effective.

If that were true, arguing that torture is unjustified implies that it would be effective if justified.
It is possible to argue against both points simultaneously.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I think that's the thing though: Not only is it an embarrassment to our country, but it wasn't even an effective tool, and it was KNOWN to be defective BEFORE 9/11 and prior to its instituted use.

This is not a productive line of debate because as pointed out above, it implicitly acknowledges that there could be circumstances under which torture is justified. It's taking the bait of the "saved thousands of lives!" line.

The only thing that matters is that what was done was illegal and the people who broke the law need to be held accountable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Arguing with someone against torture by citing its ineffectiveness implies its use would be valid were it effective.

It's also a moot point because the necessity defense is available in the US.

One definition:
There, to present the defense at trial, defendants must meet the burden of production on four elements: “(1) they were faced with a choice of evils and chose the lesser evil; (2) they acted to
prevent imminent harm; (3) they reasonably anticipated a direct caus
al relationship be- tween their conduct and the harm to be averted; and
(4) they had no legal alternatives to violating the law.”

So if someone is charged with torture TODAY, they can argue it was necessary and not be convicted.

So the whole "national debate" is dumb.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Something else which bears mention is that we have highly effective interrogation techniques. Torture isn't just ineffective and morally corrupt and corrupting, it's a wasted opportunity to do something works. Serious people do not torture. Using torture is just incompetence. Someone needs to cook up talking points for this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Something else which bears mention is that we have highly effective interrogation techniques. Torture isn't just ineffective and morally corrupt and corrupting, it's a wasted opportunity to do something works. Serious people do not torture. Using torture is just incompetence. Someone needs to cook up talking points for this.

Right.

SO it would NEVER be justified because there would always be legal alternatives.

Therefore torture should not be legal and it is never justified.

Wow. I can't believe this debate is happening.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

One definition:
There, to present the defense at trial, defendants must meet the burden of production on four elements: “(1) they were faced with a choice of evils and chose the lesser evil; (2) they acted to

So if someone is charged with torture TODAY, they can argue it was necessary and not be convicted.

This would only work on the individual that was ordered to carry it out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

This would only work on the individual that was ordered to carry it out.

Well, ok but the Idea of someone ordering someone to torture someone is monstrous. Why would that ever be legal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Well, ok but the Idea of someone ordering someone to torture someone is monstrous. Why would that ever be legal.

We hanged the officers that ordered war crimes after WWII, not the men that did them (they'd have been shot if they refused after all).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For those angry that Obama isn't prosecuting anyone, would you be ok if he did prosecute some people and they were all found innocent?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Trabisnikof posted:

For those angry that Obama isn't prosecuting anyone, would you be ok if he did prosecute some people and they were all found innocent?

No, but we'd find it reassuring to know there's at least SOME political will to stop this poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

We hanged the officers that ordered war crimes after WWII, not the men that did them (they'd have been shot if they refused after all).

I am just saying this is how monstrous we have become: we are debating whether torture as a policy choice is Ok.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

hobbesmaster posted:

Germany has actually charged a lot of Octogenarian formerly camp guards though. I've never understood why

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Is there a point to this question? Obviously no, most people would not be okay with that, but they would be a lot more okay with it than with no prosecutions at all. :rolleyes:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

Is there a point to this question? Obviously no, most people would not be okay with that, but they would be a lot more okay with it than with no prosecutions at all. :rolleyes:

The reason I raise the question is because that's why the DoJ chose not to prosecute. They didn't think they could get convictions. Which, knowing the amount of defensive evidence the Bush administration left, I'd believe it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

One definition:

The necessity defence does not jive with the Convention Against Torture:

"CAT Article 2(2) posted:

No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture.

Yoo loving knew this as well and tried to argue that since the domestic enactment of the Convention does not specifically affirm commitment to Article 2(2) a necessity defence still stands, a claim which is pretty ropey considering the general fuziness about whether or not a necessity defence can be used when the relevant statute does not explicitly provide for it.

It's a fuzzy area and by no means a slam-dunk

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

euphronius posted:

Because the little blue pill isn't enough for Cheney any longer.

But seriously, it's because we're still having a hell of a time getting away from the idea of Sovereign Immunity, and even if that weren't the case legally, it's a major logistical hurdle to prosecution because it inevitably runs up against the Watchmen Problem. Ideally, the ICC would provide some recourse here, but the US government has essentially declared itself exempt from their authority, and passed a legislative mandate for the executive branch to enforce that exemption with violence.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The reason I raise the question is because that's why the DoJ chose not to prosecute. They didn't think they could get convictions. Which, knowing the amount of defensive evidence the Bush administration left, I'd believe it.

That's the stated reason for why they didn't prosecute. Based on this report, I don't believe that reason. But even if you think it's a weak case, for the country's standing in the international community and just as a statement of moral condemnation, bringing charges is important.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

Germany has actually charged a lot of Octogenarian formerly camp guards though. I've never understood why

Most of them were prosecuted because they were not just some Army guy who got caught up in the middle of things, they were SS who knew what they were doing and were complicit in doing it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Papercut posted:

That's the stated reason for why they didn't prosecute. Based on this report, I don't believe that reason. But even if you think it's a weak case, for the country's standing in the international community and just as a statement of moral condemnation, bringing charges is important.

more likely those who would be prosecuted know a lot about the current administration's knowledge and policies and would certainly raise that in their defense, giving the current administration a big black eye.

The Obama administration really doesn't have much moral high ground to prosecute CIA torture when it's at the same time rapidly expanding the CIA drone program with legal justifications that boil down to "I can kill whoever I want wherever I want because 'Murica."

this is not saying that "hey you droned people so their torture is ok!" They're both wrong. But Obama isn't exactly rolling in moral high ground right now, especially with people like Jeh Johnson in his inner circle.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

ActusRhesus posted:

more likely those who would be prosecuted know a lot about the current administration's knowledge and policies and would certainly raise that in their defense, giving the current administration a big black eye.

The Obama administration really doesn't have much moral high ground to prosecute CIA torture when it's at the same time rapidly expanding the CIA drone program with legal justifications that boil down to "I can kill whoever I want wherever I want because 'Murica."

this is not saying that "hey you droned people so their torture is ok!" They're both wrong. But Obama isn't exactly rolling in moral high ground right now, especially with people like Jeh Johnson in his inner circle.

So is it that Obama a) doesn't want his own dirty laundry aired, b) is such a pathological centrist he actually accepts tu quoque as a valid argument, c) is a lame duck who lacks the political capital to affect change, or d) genuinely sees nothing wrong with this?

I mean these are all horrible thoughts, I'd just like to know which specific flavor of depression I should be feeling this holiday season :smith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

In your mind who should they charge then? The torturers themselves? The psychologists running the program? John Yoo? President Bush? Everyone involved from the person who blended the hummus on up?

If you think the lack of indictments would sour international relations, imagine how our courts officially determining that this wasn't torture would go over.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thesaurasaurus posted:

So is it that Obama a) doesn't want his own dirty laundry aired, b) is such a pathological centrist he actually accepts tu quoque as a valid argument, c) is a lame duck who lacks the political capital to affect change, or d) genuinely sees nothing wrong with this?

I mean these are all horrible thoughts, I'd just like to know which specific flavor of depression I should be feeling this holiday season :smith:

Why choose one? Blend them all in a shaker and make a Malaise Martini. Malaitini.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

In your mind who should they charge then? The torturers themselves? The psychologists running the program? John Yoo? President Bush? Everyone involved from the person who blended the hummus on up?

Yes.

quote:

If you think the lack of indictments would sour international relations, imagine how our courts officially determining that this wasn't torture would go over.

I disagree but whatever, any argument on this point is purely my fiction versus your fiction. I think our government attempting to hold those accountable would be more respected than doing nothing at all.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Thesaurasaurus posted:

it's not so much whether *he* supports tu quoque. It's how it would go over in court. If a jury (or whoever the fact finder is) sees the people pushing the prosecution as just as barbaric as the one in the defendant's chair, and questions whether this is just an exercise in scapegoating, it's a recipe for jury nullification.

so you end up with an acquittal AND a whole lot of dirty laundry aired.

Really the legal "justifications" for our drone program are loving terrifying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ActusRhesus posted:

it's not so much whether *he* supports tu quoque. It's how it would go over in court. If a jury (or whoever the fact finder is) sees the people pushing the prosecution as just as barbaric as the one in the defendant's chair, and questions whether this is just an exercise in scapegoating, it's a recipe for jury nullification.

so you end up with an acquittal AND a whole lot of dirty laundry aired.

Really the legal "justifications" for our drone program are loving terrifying.

I wonder where, exactly, future historians will say "here, this point, is where Americans abandoned the rule of law."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder where, exactly, future historians will say "here, this point, is where Americans abandoned the rule of law."

September 11 2001

Bin Laden won

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

red_blip posted:

So I deleted that post quick-fast and came to see what any of you would have responded to them.

Assuming you don't want to get drawn into a philosophical discussion about whether torture can be justified,
1 - The CIA's own documents more or less say that this poo poo didn't work.
2 - At least 20% of the people tortured turned out to be innocent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

July 4, 1776 :colbert:

More seriously, when after that point would you say we adopted the rule of law?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Hummus masher right on up. That one interrogator who told the detainee they'd have to kill him because they could never let the world find out what they'd done to him damned them all. They knew what they were doing was terrible and illegal. There's more than enough culpability to prosecute every single one of those assholes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

September 8, 1974. Ford pardoning Nixon removed the last shred of belief that American leaders might not be above the law.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

They knew what they were doing was terrible and illegal. There's more than enough culpability to prosecute every single one of those assholes.

You realize they were told explicitly that what they were doing wasn't illegal and the DoJ wrote out the legal reasoning why it was legal right?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2014/12/08/the-debate-about-torture-were-not-having-exploitation/

quote:

Then it raises the really horrible possibility that Cheney pushed torture because it would produce the stories he wanted told. It would be difficult to distinguish whether Cheney believed this stuff and therefore that’s what the torture produced or whether Cheney wanted these stories told and that’s what the torture produced.

I find the possibilities raised in this article really interesting. I think the idea that the torture architects specifically wanted to produce false information a big overreach, but bureaucratically speaking, also kind of irrelevant. If you create an interrogation apparatus designed to gather very specific intelligence which you "know" to be true, and then employ methods with a popular reputation for effectiveness, but which actually are most effective at producing false confessions, created by people who aren't experts in interrogation, you'll produce a lot of misinformation that flatters the beliefs of those in power.

It's reminiscent of a witch trial. Whether witches actually exist or not is irrelevant when the people in charge of the interrogations are convinced of their existence, and employing tactics that produce false confessions, which reinforces the legitimacy of the witch trials in the eyes of the interrogator and public.

Cheney's paranoia is at this point legendary. He's the guy that parroted the idea that a 1% chance of a terrorist attack should be treated as an 100% chance, he's the guy who has repeated the worst myths of the Iraq War to this very day, and he is one of the major figures that pushed for the creation of the CIA EIT protocols. Now we find that the CIA torture program produced reams of bad intelligence that flattered this viewpoint. I don't think this is a coincidence.

I think the CIA and torture supporters have been so adamant about the effectiveness of the program because, from their perspective, at the time, it was effective. It did produce intelligence that no other method produced. It made amazing links possible. The problem is that those links weren't real, but they treated those results as real for so long that they simply can't let go, because doing so now opens them up to criticism, both internal and external. To some extent, they're lying, but if you were a part of this program and it's "successes", I'm sure there's also the sense that on the whole the program was doing good things, especially if you were shielded from the day-to-day realities. To do otherwise would be to admit that a central part of your life's work was a gross, incompetent error with a terrible human cost.

The implications of this are chilling, beyond the simple facts of US torture. The idea that our post-9/11 intelligence apparatus is so grossly incompetent, and subject to the whims and fancies of bureaucrats and politicians, is grotesque. Yet when you look at the combination of Iraq intelligence and planning failures, and the sheer incompetence of the US enhanced interrogation program, it seems like the Bush administration was completely, utterly out of it's depth. Torture is evil, but it seems like the Bush Administration wasn't cynical and amoral so much as paranoid and stupid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Holocaust was legal.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This isn't news, but this ad popped up...

They're hiring guys!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize they were told explicitly that what they were doing wasn't illegal and the DoJ wrote out the legal reasoning why it was legal right?

C'mon man, this is only 12 pages into the report, which I'm assuming you've read since you're so engaged in this debate.

quote:

CIA detainees were subjected to coercive interrogation techniques that had not been
approved by the Department of Justice or had not been authorized by CIA Headquarters.

Prior to mid-2004, the CIA routinely subjected detainees to nudity and dietary manipulation.
The CIA also used abdominal slaps and cold water dousing on several detainees during that
period. None of these techniques had been approved by the Department of Justice.
At least 17 detainees were subjected to CIA enhanced interrogation techniques without
authorization from CIA Headquarters. Additionally, multiple detainees were subjected to
techniques that were applied in ways that diverged from the specific authorization, or were
subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques by interrogators who had not been authorized to
use them. Although these incidents were recorded in CIA cables and, in at least some cases were
identified at the time by supervisors at CIA Headquarters as being inappropriate, corrective
action was rarely taken against the interrogators involved.

e: And this section is also relevant.

quote:

#5: The CIA repeatedly provided inaccurate information to the Department ofJustice,
impeding a proper legal analysis of the CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program.

From 2002 to 2007, the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) within the Department of Justice relied
on CIA representations regarding: (1) the conditions of confinement for detainees, (2) the
applicationof the CIA's enhanced interrogationtechniques, (3) the physical effects of the
techniques on detainees, and (4) the effectiveness of the techniques. Those representations were
inaccurate in material respects.

The Department of Justice did not conduct independent analysis or verification of the
information it received from the CIA. The department warned, however, that if the facts
provided by the CIA were to change, its legal conclusions might not apply. When the CIA
determined that information it had provided to the Department of Justice was incorrect, the CIA
rarely informed the department.

Prior to the initiation of the CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program and throughout the life
of the program, the legal justifications for the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques relied on
the CIA's claim that the techniques were necessary to save lives. In late 2001 and early 2002,
senior attorneys at the CIA Office of General Counsel first examined the legal implications of
using coercive interrogation techniques. CIA attorneys stated that "a novel application of the
necessity defense" could be used "to avoid prosecution of U.S. officials who tortured to obtain
information thatsaved many lives."

Having reviewed information provided by the CIA, the OLC included the "necessity defense" in
its August 1, 2002, memorandum to the White House counsel on Standards of Conductfor
Interrogation. The OLC determined that "under the cunrrent circumstances, necessity or self defense
may justify interrogation methods that might violate" the criminal prohibition against
torture.

On the same day, a second OLC opinion approved, for the first time, the use of 10 specific
coercive interrogation techniques against Abu Zubaydah—subsequently referred to as the CIA's
"enhanced interrogation techniques." The OLC relied on inaccurate CIA representations about
Abu Zubaydah's status in al-Qa'ida and the interrogation team's "certain[ty]" that Abu
Zubaydah was withholding information about planned terrorist attacks. The CIA's
representations to the OLC about the techniques were also inconsistent with how the techniques
would later be applied.

In March 2005, the CIA submitted to the Department of Justice various examples of the
"effectiveness" of the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques that were inaccurate. OLC
memoranda signed on May 30, 2005, and July 20, 2007, relied on these representations,
determining that the techniques were legal in part because they produced "specific, actionable
intelligence" and "substantial quantities of otherwise unavailable intelligence" that saved lives.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 11, 2014

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Then why did that interrogator admit to the detainee that the world could never find out? For funsies? What interrogation purpose did that admission serve? If he wanted to terrorize the detainee into thinking he'd never get out alive, he could have, i don't know, locked him in a coffin for 300 hours and told him he'd never get out alive, which happens to be a Real Life Thing They Did.

Perhaps these fairly intelligent psychopaths, much like pretty much anyone who has ever read these memos, knew they were self-serving fig leaves written by yes men interested in being rewarded by the insanely partisan administration that plucked them out of the federalist society to write the memos in the first place.

On the other hand, if you're sticking with "nah, I paid my lawyer to say it was okay, therefore it is," cool I've got some pretty lucrative crimes to go get okayed by a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

They were told that what they were doing was explicitly illegal both domestically and internationally, but could be considered a justifiable breach of a specific domestic law* due to "a novel application of the necessity defense".

*18 U.S.C. §§ 2340-2340A posted:

(a) Offense.— Whoever outside the United States commits or attempts to commit torture shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, and if death results to any person from conduct prohibited by this subsection, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

(b) Jurisdiction.— There is jurisdiction over the activity prohibited in subsection (a) if—
(1) the alleged offender is a national of the United States; or
(2) the alleged offender is present in the United States, irrespective of the nationality of the victim or alleged offender.

(c) Conspiracy.— A person who conspires to commit an offense under this section shall be subject to the same penalties (other than the penalty of death) as the penalties prescribed for the offense, the commission of which was the object of the conspiracy.

(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;

(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from—
(A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread