Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Then why did that interrogator admit to the detainee that the world could never find out? For funsies? What interrogation purpose did that admission serve? If he wanted to terrorize the detainee into thinking he'd never get out alive, he could have, i don't know, locked him in a coffin for 300 hours and told him he'd never get out alive, which happens to be a Real Life Thing They Did.

Perhaps these fairly intelligent psychopaths, much like pretty much anyone who has ever read these memos, knew they were self-serving fig leaves written by yes men interested in being rewarded by the insanely partisan administration that plucked them out of the federalist society to write the memos in the first place.

On the other hand, if you're sticking with "nah, I paid my lawyer to say it was okay, therefore it is," cool I've got some pretty lucrative crimes to go get okayed by a lawyer.

I suspect that the guy who said that legitimately believed that what he was doing was necessary, and that despite that the general public could never be allowed to know because we couldn't handle the awful truth, and that this person could watch A Few Good Men and be sincerely confused as to why Col. Jessup is portrayed as a villain.

In short, I think that the CIA is literally run and staffed by violent lunatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tentative8e8op posted:

They were told that what they were doing was explicitly illegal both domestically and internationally, but could be considered justifiable under domestic law due to "a novel application of the necessity defense".

Papercut posted:

C'mon man, this is only 12 pages into the report, which I'm assuming you've read since you're so engaged in this debate.

e: And this section is also relevant.

I'm not trying to argue that it was actually legal. Just that they were told it was legal enough. Which would make the court case all the worse for the Obama administration. That's my point, that the nature of the Bush administration's attempts at muddying the legal waters were sufficient to make any prosecution at best a pyrrhic victory.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

On the other hand, if you're sticking with "nah, I paid my lawyer to say it was okay, therefore it is," cool I've got some pretty lucrative crimes to go get okayed by a lawyer.

Well, yes if you can hire the DoJ to be your lawyer you can get away with a lot more.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder where, exactly, future historians will say "here, this point, is where Americans abandoned the rule of law."

Most historians only care about property rights of the powerful when judging whether a society had "the rule of law" anyway, so probably never!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not trying to argue that it was actually legal. Just that they were told it was legal enough. Which would make the court case all the worse for the Obama administration. That's my point, that the nature of the Bush administration's attempts at muddying the legal waters were sufficient to make any prosecution at best a pyrrhic victory.

Except that the report found that CIA heads misled the DoJ as to what was going on and CIA staff went beyond the boundaries set by the DoJ in the first place. Yes of course the criminals would attempt to defend themselves and would argue that they were just following orders, that's a truism and adds nothing to the discussion. That doesn't mean they've got a bulletproof case that would convince a jury, let alone that it's a reason not to attempt to prosecute them at all.

You're going to torturous lengths (:haw:) to make it seem as if Obama's hands were tied, when in fact ActusRhesus explanation is a far, far more compelling explanation for his actions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

Except that the report found that CIA heads misled the DoJ as to what was going on and CIA staff went beyond the boundaries set by the DoJ in the first place. Yes of course the criminals would attempt to defend themselves and would argue that they were just following orders, that's a truism and adds nothing to the discussion. That doesn't mean they've got a bulletproof case that would convince a jury, let alone that it's a reason not to attempt to prosecute them at all.

You're going to torturous lengths (:haw:) to make it seem as if Obama's hands were tied, when in fact ActusRhesus explanation is a far, far more compelling explanation for his actions.

Right, so why are you punishing some poor med-tech (who threw up afterwards btw and only did it for god and country) for what the leadership of the CIA did? The med-tech didn't know the DoJ had been lied to. Etc etc.

ActusRhesus explanation and mine aren't exclusive. In fact, they work in concert. The right-wing blowup over a trial would help fuel the media circus that would get people talking about Dronsey and Friends.

How can you not see that Fox would love nothing more than to turn a trial into "Defenders of America versus Anti-American Academic Obama"? These brave Americans, at great person cost, did what had to be done to save America from Terrorists. Meanwhile Obama gets to stay in his comfy office, go on Colbert and kill Americans with the touch of a button. Its pure ratings bliss for the conservative talking heads. Expect to see a lot of Ollie North, someone else "unfairly" punished for "political" crimes.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't actually expect a prosecution, given the last three or four decades crystallizing the unaccountability of the powerful. However, in a fantasy world where presidents had principles and attorneys general had spines, I see a prosecution offering more than a pyrrhic victory. For one thing, OLC memos don't carry the force of law For another, assuming a prosecution survived past a motion to dismiss, whether there was a conviction or not, there is immense value in the people involved in this sitting on a witness stand and being examined under oath, in the open. Finally, again assuming we got beyond a motion to dismiss, the utterly graphic and depraved facts of the case would carry far more weight than legal memoranda using adventurous interpretations of fairly unambiguous statutes, but in the eyes of a finder of fact and the public.

Like, we almost literally have a case of "well, that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is," on one hand and "yeah, so that's when I pureed a whole meal and shoved it up a guy's rear end" on the other. That is a deck of cards I'd be willing to play with if I were a federal prosecutor.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, so why are you punishing some poor med-tech (who threw up afterwards btw and only did it for god and country) for what the leadership of the CIA did? The med-tech didn't know the DoJ had been lied to. Etc etc.

ActusRhesus explanation and mine aren't exclusive. In fact, they work in concert. The right-wing blowup over a trial would help fuel the media circus that would get people talking about Dronsey and Friends.

How can you not see that Fox would love nothing more than to turn a trial into "Defenders of America versus Anti-American Academic Obama"? These brave Americans, at great person cost, did what had to be done to save America from Terrorists. Meanwhile Obama gets to stay in his comfy office, go on Colbert and kill Americans with the touch of a button. Its pure ratings bliss for the conservative talking heads. Expect to see a lot of Ollie North, someone else "unfairly" punished for "political" crimes.

He threw up? After murdering Gul Rahman? That must have really hurt when he got his bonus and promotion.

Sorry, I don't give a gently caress what Fox would be bloviating about during a trial. It's not a political question and there is no election calculus to be done.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you believe that prison guards at Nazi concentration camps deserved to be prosecuted? Why or why not?

To make my point more bluntly: I don't give a loving rat's rear end what deep, inner feelings went on inside of someone committing torture. They committed torture and are deserving of just punishment.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 11, 2014

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Of course Fox would say wild and awful poo poo. They already do. They have already spent six years calling Obama everything they could think of, regardless of what he does. Since that's all they will ever do, who cares? They're going to have Ollie North calling Obama a furrener and a human being three nights a week either way, why not get something done? They're gonna say mean things about me if I eat a big mac, they'll say the exact same mean things if I eat a steak, I'm eating the loving steak.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

In my opinion even someone who breaks down crying during their third day torturing someone and requests to transfer elsewhere should be pinned, not as heavily as our leaders, but still tried. When faced with an unspeakable act, clocking out and simply handing a cattleprod to someone else in line is to me no excuse for not actively trying to stop such things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I don't actually expect a prosecution, given the last three or four decades crystallizing the unaccountability of the powerful. However, in a fantasy world where presidents had principles and attorneys general had spines, I see a prosecution offering more than a pyrrhic victory. For one thing, OLC memos don't carry the force of law For another, assuming a prosecution survived past a motion to dismiss, whether there was a conviction or not, there is immense value in the people involved in this sitting on a witness stand and being examined under oath, in the open. Finally, again assuming we got beyond a motion to dismiss, the utterly graphic and depraved facts of the case would carry far more weight than legal memoranda using adventurous interpretations of fairly unambiguous statutes, but in the eyes of a finder of fact and the public.

Like, we almost literally have a case of "well, that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is," on one hand and "yeah, so that's when I pureed a whole meal and shoved it up a guy's rear end" on the other. That is a deck of cards I'd be willing to play with if I were a federal prosecutor.

I'll be interested to see in a few years once people start talking about the investigation from the DoJ side. You may be right that this is all weak-willed political poo poo, but I just have a strong feeling that the CIA and Bush administration weren't so dumb as to not give themselves as many ways out as they can. And those real risks of "not guilty" combined with the political side were designed to make prosecution by future presidents a non-starter.

Vermain posted:

Do you believe that prison guards at Nazi concentration camps deserved to be prosecuted? Why or why not?

To make my point more bluntly: I don't give a loving rat's rear end what deep, inner feelings went on inside of someone committing torture. They committed torture and are deserving of just punishment.

But see, you want justice from America. That's your problem right there. When was a time that America was actually about justice?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 11, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I'll be interested to see in a few years once people start talking about the investigation from the DoJ side. You may be right that this is all weak-willed political poo poo, but I just have a strong feeling that the CIA and Bush administration weren't so dumb as to not give themselves as many ways out as they can. And those real risks of "not guilty" combined with the political side were designed to make prosecution by future presidents a non-starter.

And I have a strong feeling that you will be defending the Obama administration's actions no matter what evidence or facts may exist in the public realm. It's fun having feelings.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stop bringing up Bush and Cheney by the way, if anybody is EVER going to even get a whiff of punishment at all (this will not ever happen) it's the Obama administration.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Papercut posted:

And I have a strong feeling that you will be defending the Obama administration's actions no matter what evidence or facts may exist in the public realm. It's fun having feelings.

Nah, if it turns out it was as good a case as US Attorneys usually brings and they dropped it for political/drama reasons, I'd be pretty pissed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, just had to unfriend another person on Facebook for a 'Sound of Music' inspired dismissal about torture programs.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Chamale posted:

September 8, 1974. Ford pardoning Nixon removed the last shred of belief that American leaders might not be above the law.

Seconded. Watergate (and the home reaction to the Vietnam bondoggle in a lesser degree) was the embryo of the current political mold. I'm currently reading 'The Invisible Bridge", about Nixon's final years in power and the rise of Reagan, and it comes across very clear.

A superpower defeated for the first time, and accused of behaving in ways that only the bad guys in other wars (and in he movies) behaved. Gas and meat prices rising and imperiling the myth of eternal plenty. A rebelling younger generation that the older one could barely understand, let alone deal with: hippies, Patty Hearst, feminism, the pill, you name it. And then, a corrupt president (which wasn't new) greedily appropriating the machinery of power to further his gals and wreck his rivals (which sort of was new).

To some, this felt warranted. It meant the country was growing up, abandoning illusions and forging a new compromise, albeit a more cynical one. For others, it meant literally the death of the America they loved, and they would deny any reasons for it and fight any and all of its symptoms.

Watergate and Nixon's resignation were a win for the skeptics, but they also galvanized the 'idealists' something fierce and got the ball rolling. It became imperative to never give another inch to he forces of degradation. And Reagan embodied that commitment from day one, defending Nixon, pinning everything on conspiracies and loose talk from unpatriotic liberals, minimizing each and every new revelation as immaterial right right up until Nixon quit, and then just shifting the subject to the next fight without conceding a thing.

Goodies versus baddies, and the goodies must always win, by definition. And nothing you do against the baddies counts as wrong. Doesn't matter how much you bend institutions or edit narratives. Deviating is a betrayal. Changing your mind is actually worse than having been with the other side from day one, because you are showing that you can be swayed by facts, and what kind of squish does that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly executive lawlessness goes all the way back to Washington. The constitution isn't really a good system in terms of the holding the executive to laws. But that depends on your definition of law I guess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly executive lawlessness goes all the way back to Washington. The constitution isn't really a good system in terms of the holding the executive to laws. But that depends on your definition of law I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

The majority were not prosecuted. Those that were prosecuted went "above and beyond"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

hobbesmaster posted:

We hanged the officers that ordered war crimes after WWII, not the men that did them (they'd have been shot if they refused after all).

This isn't entirely true. There are cases of Germans refusing orders on ethical grounds and most of the time the reaction was to just get someone else to do it instead.

That said, there's a clear precedent of trying, convicting and hanging or imprisoning for a long long time those who order these kinds of crimes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jesus loving Christ this is an awful read.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jesus loving Christ this is an awful read.

From an outside perspective... loving hell

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
http://www.thenation.com/article/tortures-dirty-secret-it-works

quote:

This is torture's true purpose: to terrorize--not only the people in Guantánamo's cages and Syria's isolation cells but also, and more important, the broader community that hears about these abuses. Torture is a machine designed to break the will to resist--the individual prisoner's will and the collective will.

Not entirely sure how I feel about this article but it is interesting, and fits in with the fact that everybody already knew that torture is ineffective at producing real information. The public debate about torture is always being framed as a question of whether or not it helped save lives, etc, so looking at it as having another purpose is new to me.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Goatse Master posted:

Not entirely sure how I feel about this article but it is interesting, and fits in with the fact that everybody already knew that torture is ineffective at producing real information. The public debate about torture is always being framed as a question of whether or not it helped save lives, etc, so looking at it as having another purpose is new to me.

It's kind of amazing to me that this is still news to people, considering that it's been public knowledge since at least 1948.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Goatse Master posted:

CIA looks up to the stasi I guess.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Why Did US Medical Personnel Remove High-Value Detainee Abu Zubaydah's Eye?

quote:

Shortly after he was captured in March 2002 at a safe house in Faisalabad, Pakistan, following an early morning raid jointly conducted by the CIA, FBI, Pakistani police and Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Abu Zubaydah woke up at a black site prison in Thailand and discovered that his left eye had been surgically removed.

Zubaydah, who is wearing an eye patch in a photograph included in his Guantanamo threat assessment file released by WikiLeaks last month, apparently never consented to the medical procedure and to this day has no idea why it was done, according to one of Zubaydah's attorneys.

"I can tell you that Abu Zubaydah has no explanation for the loss of his eye," said Brent Mickum, who has represented Zubaydah since 2007. "He continually wants me to make inquiries to try and determine the circumstances for which he lost his eye, but no one has been forthcoming."

quote:

A US counterterrorism official, responding to a query from Truthout, said, "Zubaydah had a preexisting eye condition when he was captured" and "American medical personnel treated the condition, [but] he ultimately lost the eye."

The revelation stands as the first piece of new medical information related to Zubaydah's case to surface in years.

But Mickum doesn't believe the government is being truthful.

"It is patently false to state Zubaydah lost his eye due to a preexisting condition and that is belied by the evidence that I have from [Zubaydah], which I can't discuss due to the government's protective order," said Mickum. "My client had two good eyes before he was seized. I'm aware of no information from my client, the government or any other source that he had a 'preexisting eye condition.'"

quote:

Zubaydah seems to be under the impression that he lost his eye as a result of abusive treatment.

During his Combatant Status Review Tribunal hearing, Zubaydah said the interrogators subjected him to "months of suffering and torture, physically and mentally, they did not care about my injuries that they inflicted to my eye, to my stomach, to my bladder and my left thigh and my reproductive organs."

The counterterrorism official also said that any suggestion that Zubaydah "lost the eye while being captured or as a result of interrogation would be flat wrong."

But other detainees' claimed there were attempts to gouge out their eyes.

In a recent interview with The Guardian UK, Omar Deghayes said a Guantanamo guard "pushed his fingers inside my eyes" and blinded him in his right eye.

"I didn't realise what was going on until the guy had pushed his fingers ­ inside my eyes and I could feel the coldness of his fingers," Deghayes told The Guardian UK, explaining that the incident took place when he protested a policy that called for detainees to walk around without pants. "Then I realised he was trying to gouge out my eyes."

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Goatse Master posted:

Wasn't American waterboarding used by groups like al-Qaeda as recruitment propaganda?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Is expatriating to a country that doesn't use my tax dollars to (with the enthusiastic support of its democracy) anally rape innocent people a reasonable response to all this or am I being too emotional?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IAMKOREA posted:

Is expatriating to a country that doesn't use my tax dollars to (with the enthusiastic support of its democracy) anally rape innocent people a reasonable response to all this or am I being too emotional?

team overhead smash posted:

Not entirely, but...

Depends how fast you can learn Norwegian!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

While Canada facilitated torture its judicial system did rule it was wrong. More than the US can say.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

computer parts posted:

Depends how fast you can learn Norwegian!

The country (other than the US) that I have the right to work/live in isn't on that list and I already speak the language.

Leave tomorrow: y/n?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

IAMKOREA posted:

The country (other than the US) that I have the right to work/live in isn't on that list and I already speak the language.

If you haven't got anything keeping you go ahead.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

Yes. Please go. Now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Papercut posted:

This is not a productive line of debate because as pointed out above, it implicitly acknowledges that there could be circumstances under which torture is justified. It's taking the bait of the "saved thousands of lives!" line.

The only thing that matters is that what was done was illegal and the people who broke the law need to be held accountable.

To be fair though, there are some circumstances where torture really is justified.

For example: Being a CIA informant, cooperating with the FBI, the desperate testimony of someone else who has been tortured, being related to someone else who is being tortured, when the VP needs to fabricate a casus belli, or being one of the 20% of people who get picked up at random and have nothing to do with anything. Also people who abuse animals, but I totes admit that is rooted in personal anger and serves no real purpose outside of my own desire for vengeance.

Seriously though, the whole point of principles is that you stick to them even when it's tough. If you just throw your hands up and say "gently caress that, I am angry and/or scared" you don't really have principles, just soundbites. By the same token, even if torture was effective for intelligence purposes, if we want to be the good guys, we have to forego that advantage even if it creates greater risks. If that means we get hit more, well, fine - we can take it. The only foe to pose a true danger today is the erosion of our own values, and we capitulated to that without a fight.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i wonder how much longer till police are waterboarding suspects? they already use "pseudotorture" techniques like sleep deprivation and starvation

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Condiv posted:

i wonder how much longer till police are waterboarding suspects? they already use "pseudotorture" techniques like sleep deprivation and starvation

Why torture when they can just straight up kill people?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Hands up! Because they are tied into a stress position!"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The CIA can kill people too. Doesn't stop them shoving salad up people's asses.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Boris Galerkin posted:

cause people might not believe them when they say the latest bloody smear on the sidewalk was the serial killer they've been trying to catch

plus people will be less likely to commit crimes if they know the police have taken the kid gloves off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Because the little blue pill isn't enough for Cheney any longer.

True, I was happier than I am, while yet
Manhood remained to act the thing I thought,--
While lust was sweeter than revenge; and now
Invention palls. Ay, we must all grow old.
And but that there remains a deed to act
Whose horror might make sharp an appetite
Duller than mine--I 'd do,--I know not what.
When I was young I thought of nothing else
But pleasure; and I fed on honey sweets.
Men, by St. Thomas! cannot live like bees,--
And I grew tired; yet, till I killed a foe,
And heard his groans, and heard his children's groans,
Knew I not what delight was else on earth,--
Which now delights me little. I the rather
Look on such pangs as terror ill conceals--
The dry, fixed eyeball, the pale, quivering lip,
Which tell me that the spirit weeps within
Tears bitterer than the bloody sweat of Christ.
I rarely kill the body, which preserves,
Like a strong prison, the soul within my power,
Wherein I feed it with the breath of fear
For hourly pain.

• Locked thread