Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

MisterBibs posted:

Another related TES lore thing I love was some in-game books discussing those things in the sky. I'm paraphrasing:

"Oh, those things in the sky are other realms. See, we can't really grasp entire realms like that, so our minds just view them as spheres. Oh and the little lights in the sky are where some spirits broke the sky when leaving. The sun is just a big hole that a bigger spirit left."

The only downside to this is that whenever realms of oblivion actually show up in the game, they usually don't live up to what you were expecting. Hermaeus Mora's realm was pretty well done, but anything is an improvement over endless stretches of lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I picked up Saints Row 4 for $5 on Steam. I like how fun it tries to be. Like, no restrictions on character creation, super powers in the first few missions, etc.

But it really made its way into my heart when I was beating up a bunch of aliens, and my guy said, "Shouldn'a hosed with the president."

EDIT: I have to add, for SR4: the "love" mechanic.

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

Speaking of making fun of Bioware, I love that in the cockpit they have a literal sex doll in the seat that EDI sits in in Mass Effect 3.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speaking of making fun of Bioware, I love that in the cockpit they have a literal sex doll in the seat that EDI sits in in Mass Effect 3.

I've never played either of those games, but that sounds like it's also an Airplane! reference.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

timp posted:

I've never played either of those games, but that sounds like it's also an Airplane! reference.

For reference, in Mass Effect 2 you get an AI for your ship that's basically a floating orb hologram:

In Mass Effect 3 that AI is turned into this:

Because fuckin' Bioware. Maybe you can gently caress it. No idea.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Because fuckin' Bioware. Maybe you can gently caress it. No idea.

You don't but cripple Seth Green does

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

And personally I think that 100% justifies her existence. Joker needs someone to love too yknow.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mierenneuker posted:

There's also Ben King in which case it looks like it is going to lead to sex, but then turns out to be The Boss being nervous about asking him to sign a copy of his book. The disappointed look on King's face tells him he was totally ready for sex.

Pierce's romance is the best because regardless of the Boss' gender, he always responds with "I don't usually swing that way, but...".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

The only downside to this is that whenever realms of oblivion actually show up in the game, they usually don't live up to what you were expecting. Hermaeus Mora's realm was pretty well done, but anything is an improvement over endless stretches of lava.

Mehrunes Dagon is not a particularly creative Daedra. The Shivering Isles had some effort put in, and they just got lazy with the Boethiah and Peryite quests.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kruller posted:

I probably boned that robot like 15 times, just because it was always funny.

The animation is the same, no matter whether you're male or female, too.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Wasn't Joker gay??

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Arx Monolith posted:

No, he was bad at women because he's a neckbeard

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arx Monolith posted:

The AI controls the ship that Joker pilots, meaning that Joker is loving the ship itself. Which makes him shipsexual.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who What Now posted:

The AI controls the ship that Joker pilots, meaning that Joker is loving the ship itself. Which makes him shipsexual.

As opposed to the rest of the cast who are Shepsexual.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
One of the enemies from Persona Q (carrying over from 3 and 4) is a Hulk Hogan looking dude wearing nothing but a speedo. Sometimes when you enter combat with one Mitsuru will say "He's practically naked! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!"

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Dec 11, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had forgotten until right this second about (male) Shep sexually harassing the crew, specifically that assistant that's under his direct command.

So uh, thanks for that I guess.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bhodi posted:

I had forgotten until right this second about (male) Shep sexually harassing the crew, specifically that assistant that's under his direct command.

So uh, thanks for that I guess.

Spoilers: FemShep harasses her as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's good that Bioware is classy in a equal-opportunity way.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

kazil posted:

Spoilers: FemShep harasses her as well.

I just wanted someone to feed my space fish :(

I also totally cock-blocked Joker, and I'm not even sorry.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

StandardVC10 posted:

One of the enemies from Persona Q (carrying over from 3 and 4) is a Hulk Hogan looking dude wearing nothing but a speedo. Sometimes when you enter combat with one Mitsuru will say "He's practically naked! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!"

This is now a Persona thread.

In Persona 3, Mitsuru and Fuuka have recorded lines yelling at you for using a Gameshark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbnX6UBwdI

45 seconds in.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Femshep comes across creepy as gently caress towards Jacob.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

poptart_fairy posted:

Boy howdy. You can not be nice or friendly to him without it immediately taking on sexual tones. I'm neutral or hostile to him each time I play just because of it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

They were super classy with Jason's romance. The writing was self-insert fanfic terrible (but goddamn, Jennifer Hale loving nailed the whole "minx on the prowl" bit).

BEEP BOOP here is how you depict Jane Shepard winning over a potential mate BOOP:

"Anyone waiting for you back home?"

"Never settled down. Doesn't seem fair with this job. I guess you can't miss what you never had."

"...so you're single?"

and

"Where are you going with this?"

"Just making sure I won't get my rear end shot off if I make a move."

"...Well, I wasn't expecting that...commander."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

Boy howdy. You can not be nice or friendly to him without it immediately taking on sexual tones. I'm neutral or hostile to him each time I play just because of it.

The only saving grace to that is that after one or two creepazoid convos you can make Shepard take the hint from Jacob and drop all the amorous advances. Then it's fistbumps all the way.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Kanji gets really angry in that game if Koromaru gets downed and they're in the same party. :3:

"You mess with the fluffball then you mess with me!"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Kanji gets really angry in that game if Koromaru gets downed and they're in the same party. :3:

"You mess with the fluffball then you mess with me!"

Koromaru+Kanji buds for life.

I love what they did with the shortcut indicators in Q versus the ones in Etrian Odyssey games. They're more visually distinctive, and have an audio queue that they're there as well if you're close enough to them. It makes them much easier to notice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

The only saving grace to that is that after one or two creepazoid convos you can make Shepard take the hint from Jacob and drop all the amorous advances. Then it's fistbumps all the way.

Kaidan, meanwhile, will start picking out the drapes if you so much as say hello to him without adding on -alsoI'mnotinterestedinyouromanticallyatall!

You generally got "pleasant/indifferent/hostile" responses to things other characters said in those games and had a bit of freedom to play around with them. But with Kaidan it was either be utterly indifferent in everything you said to him or just outright yell at him, because if you even said,"Nice space-weather we're having, huh?" he'd take it as announcing your engagement in the space-society papers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bussamove posted:

Koromaru+Kanji buds for life.

I love what they did with the shortcut indicators in Q versus the ones in Etrian Odyssey games. They're more visually distinctive, and have an audio queue that they're there as well if you're close enough to them. It makes them much easier to notice.

Plus, you can just place the shortcut on the map, and it will indicate what direction you can use it in.

Also, if there's a location you can investigate, party members will pipe in with a "I think there's something there..." sort of comment.

Despite the general lack of conversation in the dungeons, Atlus did a good job with making it feel like you're walking through with all these people, and not just keeping things morosely silent the whole way through like previous Etrian Odyssey games.

Kind of disappointed how Teddy comes off like much more of a self-centered jerk a lot of the time though...

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

In Fallout: New Vegas, there's a holotape you can find in Boulder City near an NCR corpse that mentions several names of soldiers, like Jeffery Hui. If you look at the nearby memorial for NCR troops that died there, you can actually find their names on the memorial's model.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Pokemon ORAS lets you put 'Organise Boxes' at the top of the menu, so you don't have to scroll past the separate commands for 'Withdraw' and 'Deposit'.

It's a very little thing. But convenient as hell.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I just finished playing the 2012 Syndicate and really liked how ambiguously your character was portrayed. Pretty much all of the missions put civilians or just non-combatants in your line of fire and there wasn't any negative or positive result from killing or sparing them, it was entirely at your discretion. I went out of my way to minimize civilian casualties by not using area of effect weapons or lethal abilities and it was curiously satisfying to do a DART scan after a fight and note that the only dead bodies on the ground were enemies with weapons.

And after everything it just cuts to credits, no payoff at all for doing the right or wrong thing so it was super faithful to the world they built.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Elfface posted:

Pokemon ORAS lets you put 'Organise Boxes' at the top of the menu, so you don't have to scroll past the separate commands for 'Withdraw' and 'Deposit'.

It's a very little thing. But convenient as hell.
They should have included the option to just skip the buttons entirely and go into organize boxes directly from the pokemon center.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I just finished playing the 2012 Syndicate and really liked how ambiguously your character was portrayed. Pretty much all of the missions put civilians or just non-combatants in your line of fire and there wasn't any negative or positive result from killing or sparing them, it was entirely at your discretion. I went out of my way to minimize civilian casualties by not using area of effect weapons or lethal abilities and it was curiously satisfying to do a DART scan after a fight and note that the only dead bodies on the ground were enemies with weapons.

And after everything it just cuts to credits, no payoff at all for doing the right or wrong thing so it was super faithful to the world they built.

I played it as all the civilians meant nothing and were less than collateral. I killed all sons of bitches and it was disappointing when at the end the character grew a conscious.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

A little thing I love about Saint's Row 4, is that I can make my character Bojack Horseman:

Srs, if you haven't bought this game, and you see it on sale? Get. It.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Started doing the contests in Alpha Sapphire, and I just found out you can look at the other competitors move sets.
One of the contestants was an HM-slave.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dad Jokes posted:

In Fallout: New Vegas, there's a holotape you can find in Boulder City near an NCR corpse that mentions several names of soldiers, like Jeffery Hui. If you look at the nearby memorial for NCR troops that died there, you can actually find their names on the memorial's model.

Most of the names on the memorial are also either the developers names or references to stuff (like one is a reference to Fallout 2). And if you attack the memorial, the NCR soldier looking at it will get pissed and you have to pass a speech check to calm him down (or leave town for a few days).

I might have mentioned it before, but the Wrecked Highwayman is another nod to Fallout 2. It even plays specific songs from the old soundtrack when you get near it.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?
Playing Alien Isolation lately - one of the things I've really grown to appreciate later in the game is the controls for pulling levers / interacting with the world. I'm just now on the bit where you have to overload each reactor core and it feels oddly satisfying running towards a one-handed lever and quickly pressing the correct trigger-analogue combination (in this case L-trigger for the left hand, pulling it in a downward motion to activate it) quickly to activate the switch. It feels more dynamic than a simple "press X" prompt would be - making it feel that a lot more effort it required to flip the switch.

The game is also scattered with some fantastic art-work - making the space-station its set on feel fleshed out and lived-in. Particularly the levels dealing with the (spoiled, incase anyone wants to go in blind) Synthetics

Its available as the PS4 xmas deal atm too - well worth picking it up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dad Jokes posted:

You can also find names of people who are related to other NCR characters you find in Vegas, like Lt. Gorobets.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kimmalah posted:

Most of the names on the memorial are also either the developers names or references to stuff (like one is a reference to Fallout 2). And if you attack the memorial, the NCR soldier looking at it will get pissed and you have to pass a speech check to calm him down (or leave town for a few days).
You can also... not calm him down:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Final Fantasy X just before you fight a boss monster attacking the airship, there's an item seller who will sell you restoratives. One of the characters asks why he's selling the items instead of giving them away as he'll die too if they lose. I thought it was nice comment on how that situation often arises in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's his answer?