Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cavaradossi posted:

He doesn't need to, he's achieved the redemption of all mankind through Christ's sacrifice. Christ's sacrifice is the literal opposite of meaningless: as this thread should tell you, "there is only one thing that matters and it is Jesus Christ".
All that matters is Jesus Christ?

So the creator of the universe created humanity, with perfect anticipatory knowledge of exactly what would happen, the entire narrative of the process being completely clear to Him in the moment of authorship or before. (Related question: Could God have chosen to do something differently, or, having foreseen what will happen, is God unable to contradict what He Himself has perceived?)

Having done this, God sends Himself down to suffer and die while getting across a mixture of moral lessons, many of them quite good but with many material similarities to other religious and philosophical figures of the era, some time before, and indeed some time after. This therefore redeems humanity from the sins God created us with, but only, perhaps, if we do certain things, maybe. This is also the seminal event in human history.

What need had God to create any of us? We are all irrelevancies in the face of this... THING, God decided to do one day.

If we one day communicate with intelligent aliens, how does this affect our story here? It seems to make me realize where people are seeing a religious problem - if we encounter aliens who do not have similar narratives, then we have been toyed with by God for some perverse end which He has elected to spare the Reticulans or the gas-giant bags from.

icantfindaname posted:

right, nessus was asking how the orthodox explanation makes sense, not nestorianism
Yeah if this was just 'unknowable paradoxical insight received through intense prayer and meditation' it would be way easier for me to swallow! Or at least, it would lead to a wholly different line of questioning, but I'm completely open to mystical revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

You already KNOW the answer to this:

God works in mysterious ways...

More like ways that favor baby punching over awesome fun. Nothing mysterious about that, it's just dickish. But seriously I thought evil was the result of free will, but apparently it's okay to violate free will when all I want to do is fly to the store instead of walk?

Cavaradossi posted:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Define your terms, specifically "beginning," "Word," "God," "with," and "was." Those last two seemed to be used in ways that violate logic, how can something be with something which it also is, and why is "Word" prioritized over "God" when they are the same thing...heck, why even have different terms at all. Doesn't make sense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sharkie posted:

More like ways that favor baby punching over awesome fun. Nothing mysterious about that, it's just dickish. But seriously I thought evil was the result of free will, but apparently it's okay to violate free will when all I want to do is fly to the store instead of walk?

What don't you understand about mysterious

But yeah, its pretty stupid. God is blessing you when you gain, or working in mysterious ways when he does not.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

icantfindaname posted:

right, nessus was asking how the orthodox explanation makes sense, not nestorianism

Oh, then the same applies then; it is neither gnostic nor a mystery religion, though it contains mysteries.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sharkie posted:

I think free will is generally held to refer to moral or rational things and choosing between right and wrong. You don't have wings or organic jet thrusters so you can't fly (without mechanical aids), but this doesn't take away from your moral sense. If you DID have wings and COULD fly like that guy from Barbarella, it would still be wrong of you to poo poo on your neighbor's car.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

I think free will is generally held to refer to moral or rational things and choosing between right and wrong. You don't have wings or organic jet thrusters so you can't fly (without mechanical aids), but this doesn't take away from your moral sense. If you DID have wings and COULD fly like that guy from Barbarella, it would still be wrong of you to poo poo on your neighbor's car.

Yeah but something like "I choose not to die of cancer, thus leaving my children orphans," seems to be a moral or rational choice - I mean, choosing to die from a preventable disease, leaving orphans, "just because," would be an immoral act, so choosing otherwise would be moral. But this is a moral choice that is often denied us. Saving your brother after he falls into the ocean is a moral choice, but oops, you've been swept under by the tides too, you don't get to make that choice.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

God could have just redeemed all mankind with a snap of his fingers. The whole riggamaroll with Jesus was unnecessary.

No, it takes a much greater sacrifice to redeem all of humanity's sins. Suppose we send someone to prison for theft. We could have snapped our fingers and let the person free - but we don't; this does not atone for the crime. All of the sins of all humanity is a much greater burden to bear, and only Christ could redeem that.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

No, it takes a much greater sacrifice to redeem all of humanity's sins. Suppose we send someone to prison for theft. We could have snapped our fingers and let the person free - but we don't; this does not atone for the crime. All of the sins of all humanity is a much greater burden to bear, and only Christ could redeem that.

Whoa so who set up all these rules that God is constrained by? Did God constrain himself just to get the chance to get incarnated and tortured, or are they functions of the universe that God is unable to change?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sharkie posted:

Yeah but something like "I choose not to die of cancer, thus leaving my children orphans," seems to be a moral or rational choice - I mean, choosing to die from a preventable disease, leaving orphans, "just because," would be an immoral act, so choosing otherwise would be moral. But this is a moral choice that is often denied us. Saving your brother after he falls into the ocean is a moral choice, but oops, you've been swept under by the tides too, you don't get to make that choice.
Right, but other than God (apparently) entities don't have the infinite ability to make their will come true. The moral thing here is in what you do with your limited powers, sort of like Spider-Man.

Cavaradossi posted:

God created us with full knowledge of what we would do, according to definitions which He Himself created. We've established these rules don't apply to God, because when he kills a ton of people it is a good act, but when we do it, it isn't; God could therefore have set different boundaries, but he did not.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Right, but other than God (apparently) entities don't have the infinite ability to make their will come true. The moral thing here is in what you do with your limited powers, sort of like Spider-Man.

Eh, I guess, if you consider "one of my sons died morally and heroically" a better or equivalent outcome than "both of my sons are alive, and one morally rescued the other." Though, say, dying of a random thing like currents doesn't require an infinite ability to make your will come true, it's just a random thing denying your ability to exercise your will. Of course, it's not random, I guess, it's planned and designed by God, so he's the one denying the exercise of your will "save my brother."

This doesn't even touch on impaired judgement. How does schizophrenia or dementia fit into one's ability to exercise their will to make moral judgements?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

God created us with full knowledge of what we would do, according to definitions which He Himself created. We've established these rules don't apply to God, because when he kills a ton of people it is a good act, but when we do it, it isn't; God could therefore have set different boundaries, but he did not.

God could have created us without free will (He created lots of things without free will). But creatures without free will cannot know their creator. God created us to know him. Of course this gives us the ability to reject God. You have to choose not to do so.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

When we charge someone for theft we don't send their buddy Steve to jail in their place. Substitutionary punishment is inherently immoral.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sharkie posted:

Eh, I guess, if you consider "one of my sons died morally and heroically" a better or equivalent outcome than "both of my sons are alive, and one morally rescued the other." Though, say, dying of a random thing like currents doesn't require an infinite ability to make your will come true, it's just a random thing denying your ability to exercise your will. Of course, it's not random, I guess, it's planned and designed by God, so he's the one denying the exercise of your will "save my brother."

This doesn't even touch on impaired judgement. How does schizophrenia or dementia fit into one's ability to exercise their will to make moral judgements?
Well I think we're talking about different things.

You're taking free will in the sense of being able to do what you want, and that when you can't do certain things because of a lack of an ability or other obstacles in your way, your will is being impaired. I think this is somewhat true from a Thelemic viewpoint, but the Thelemic viewpoint would also say that once you know your authentic true will, there will be no obstacle you can't move. However, this 'true' will is different from the day to day wants and desires, even if they are very strong.

I'm talking about it as the capacity for moral choice, the part of you which can consider whether it is right or wrong to go do a certain thing (but does not guarantee success in such actions.) A better example here might be: Your brother is embezzling from his company and shows no signs whatever of being caught. What's more he's bought you a new car. Do you turn him in and end the gravy train, or do you continue to benefit from your brother's criminal actions? The idea here is that you are, assuming you are reasonably grown-up and not materially impaired by something, able to make distinctions between what is right and what is wrong and act accordingly. (You might try to turn in your brother, and then his Mafia buddies whack you and you're found in the East River.)

Cavaradossi posted:

God could have created us without free will (He created lots of things without free will). But creatures without free will cannot know their creator. God created us to know him. Of course this gives us the ability to reject God. You have to choose not to do so.
Well to be frank, the image of God most of you guys are laying out here seems kind of like an rear end in a top hat. (I am sure I was Hellbound for previous incidents long before this.) I can't say if this is the real image of God, or if God even really exists, but I can say that the picture you guys paint seems like a drat weirdo with a penchant for tormenting people and things, even Himself, and a distinctly average moral character (even if many of Jesus's teachings themselves reflect a very high moral tone).

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2014

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

Define "know," and don't equate free will with consciousness, because those are two entirely separate things. Also I'm interested in your objections to my earlier criticisms - drowning and mental impairment like Schizophrenia or a tumor.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Nessus posted:

The idea here is that you are, assuming you are reasonably grown-up and not materially impaired by something
Here's the problem, by inventing physics the way it did, God massively impaired our ability to do things. My ability to fly around and save orphans isn't constrained by anything other than what is ultimately God's will.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

The idea here is that you are, assuming you are reasonably grown-up and not materially impaired by something, able to make distinctions between what is right and what is wrong and act accordingly. (You might try to turn in your brother, and then his Mafia buddies whack you and you're found in the East River.)

The "act accordingly" and "mental impairment" parts are my whole point. Anyways, in your example, the "moral" choice leaves the world with one criminal and one dead person, so it's only a good choice once you accept the "real" world exists beyond this pale shadow we call existence - otherwise God would say, I know you want to do the right thing, so it counts, but don't get yourself killed.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
When you take it at its face, the entire narrative of the Bible seems to be:

God had a shitload of angels who praised and served Him, but by design, not by choice. This wasn't good enough for Him, so He set up the world as a sort of game and/or testing ground wherein people would, through their lives on Earth, either choose to serve Him or not, and those that did got to go to Heaven where they'd continue serving Him forever. Those that did not decide to worship him get sent away to hell forever. The system wasn't working, though, because so few people were good enough to go to Heaven, so God found a loophole via Jesus and thus anybody, sinner or not, can come worship Him after they die if they chose to worship Him on Earth.

The End of Days is basically the point at which God says, "yep, got enough servants now, time to close the testing ground."

In this view, not only is God a complete narcissist and jerk, but he seems subject to laws beyond his control. That's the weird thing about the Jesus sacrifice to me; God had to have some sort of tangible showcase of forgiveness of the world's sins. If God is really God, yes he could have just snapped his fingers.

Cavaradossi posted:

Let's imagine it this way: you say snapping fingers is not good enough for the sake of atonement. Instead, let's say that everyone in the US commits a horrible crime worthy of the death penalty. The president then chooses to kill himself and nobody serves any jail time - indeed, quite the opposite, they all get a new car. Where is the atonement there? Where is the justice?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

When we charge someone for theft we don't send their buddy Steve to jail in their place. Substitutionary punishment is inherently immoral.

Which is why we need the sacrament of penance.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

Free Will is a lie. All your choices and actions are determined by a complex and ongoing series of electro-chemical reactions in your nervous system. You can no more choose to act against your nature than a lizard can choose to become a bird overnight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cavaradossi posted:

What, exactly, are we apologizing for at this point?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Sharkie posted:

Define "know," and don't equate free will with consciousness, because those are two entirely separate things. Also I'm interested in your objections to my earlier criticisms - drowning and mental impairment like Schizophrenia or a tumor.

CCC 1793 If - on the contrary - the ignorance is invincible, or the moral subject is not responsible for his erroneous judgment, the evil committed by the person cannot be imputed to him. It remains no less an evil, a privation, a disorder.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

What, exactly, are we apologizing for at this point?

Sin

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Snark posted:

To answer your question about one thing faith offers that atheism does not, hope for some measure of persistence past death for one. As an atheist you die and... are now so much rotting meat. What do you have to hope for?

That your limited amount of life might be spent in a way you judge to be worthwhile.

Which doesn't remotely dull the terror of death but life isn't generally a very happy thing, so I wouldn't really expect it to have a happy ending. Yes you're going to die and yes it's horrible, but that's part of being human. You just have to face it, do your best.

It's quite possible to live without hope for life after death. I would personally argue that it helps to place a suitable amount of importance on your rather short amount of time being alive, and motivates you to use it appropriately.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

The sacraments are meaningless to God. What worth does even a billion billion lifetime's of penance hold when compared to infinity? What worth does a single penny hold to Bill Gates?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

CCC 1793 If - on the contrary - the ignorance is invincible, or the moral subject is not responsible for his erroneous judgment, the evil committed by the person cannot be imputed to him. It remains no less an evil, a privation, a disorder.

You've repeatedly refused to explain what any of your words mean, so yeah. It's stupid to think that a neuron misfire or a tumor is an "evil disorder" considering there's only one entity capable of stopping it, and He chooses not to. It can't be both a part of his plan and a disorder of his plan at the same time, but then you (at least the sources you're emptyquoting) seem comfortable with vagueness and fallacies and nonsense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The sin that God defined, and which God created us knowing fully we would do, but which offended him so much he had to stage a complex murder plot for his own Self in order to make up for it maybe, to some extent, possibly, if you're lucky.

There is obviously evil in the world and bad deeds, but this construction of sin you create seems to make a mockery of the very idea. If I created a situation where a bad thing happened, and which I knew would happen, and then blamed the situation for that bad thing occurring, I would probably only be able to get away with it if I was very powerful, which perhaps is the lesson being imparted here. "Power justifies everything."

Sharkie posted:

You've repeatedly refused to explain what any of your words mean, so yeah. It's stupid to think that a neuron misfire or a tumor is an "evil disorder" considering there's only one entity capable of stopping it, and He chooses not to. It can't be both a part of his plan and a disorder of his plan at the same time, but then you (at least the sources you're emptyquoting) seem comfortable with vagueness and fallacies and nonsense.
He's saying if an evil thing happens accidentally, due to an organic disorder, genuine confusion, and so forth, the person who "did" it is not morally responsible, but that thing which happened is still a bad thing. A guy who goes on a shooting rampage because brain cancer impaired his ability to judge things and made him hallucinate that screaming naked children were commanding him to kill, still does bad things, but will not be held responsible by God (or, presumably, a just court, assuming that he had the tumor removed before standing trial but after the killings).

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

If I created a situation where a bad thing happened, and which I knew would happen, and then blamed the situation for that bad thing occurring, I would probably only be able to get away with it if I was very powerful, which perhaps is the lesson being imparted here. "Power justifies everything."

We don't blame roadlayers for car accidents. They create the situation where car accidents can happen. But the drivers are (sometimes - assuming for example that they don't succumb to brain tumours) morally culpable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cavaradossi posted:

We don't blame roadlayers for car accidents. They create the situation where car accidents can happen. But the drivers are (sometimes - assuming for example that they don't succumb to brain tumours) morally culpable.
Roadlayers don't have omniscient knowledge of the future, though. Like, if God was the hands-off author of the world that would be one thing.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Cavaradossi posted:

Come on, you know this analogy doesn't hold up. Don't dance around the issue with flawed metaphor.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

Roadlayers don't have omniscient knowledge of the future, though.

I think it would be a pretty blinkered roadlayer who didn't realise that car accidents could happen on the roads they created.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

The reason we don't do that is because the roadlayer did not, ostensibly, create the road, the car, the people driving it, the laws of physics which describe the nature of the car accident, and the concept of linear time which causes its effects to be permanent.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cavaradossi posted:

I think it would be a pretty blinkered roadlayer who didn't realise that car accidents could happen on the roads they created.

No, but they didn't also construct every single circumstance under which those accidents would occur, in perfect knowledge that they would occur, had to occur, could never do otherwise than occur as would be the case for, you know, an omniscient creator God.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cavaradossi posted:

So are you saying God does not have perfect knowledge of the future?

I mean, that would ease up a lot on you here, if God was omnipotent but he too does not know EVERYTHING.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You'd think creating the entire existence would keep you pretty well informed of happenings.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Nessus posted:

So are you saying God does not have perfect knowledge of the future?

I mean, that would ease up a lot on you here, if God was omnipotent but he too does not know EVERYTHING.

God created Man with free will. Men choose their actions. God knows (in eternity) those choices. Some of the choices are bad ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

God created Man with free will. Men choose their actions. God knows (in eternity) those choices. Some of the choices are bad ones.

Which begs the question of why he would create people deliberately in the knowledge they'll gently caress up and go to hell.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

Except when men don't choose their actions, right? Which brings us back to mental impairment. There's also the matter that men don't choose the environments in which their choices are made and thus constrained. A kid born in ancient Assyria doesn't have any means of determining "worship not-YHWH and kill your enemies" is a bad choice.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

OwlFancier posted:

Which begs the question of why he would create people deliberately in the knowledge they'll gently caress up and go to hell.

Raises the question. God created Man to share in His own life. Like any parent, his children might choose the wrong thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cavaradossi posted:

Raises the question. God created Man to share in His own life. Like any parent, his children might choose the wrong thing.
Ah, like how we are required to keep open pots of boiling water and sulfuric acid in the nursery, so that children will not be denied their free choice to choose to subject themselves to agony!

Wait, that's not a good analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Sharkie posted:

Except when men don't choose their actions, right? Which brings us back to mental impairment. There's also the matter that men don't choose the environments in which their choices are made and thus constrained. A kid born in ancient Assyria doesn't have any means of determining "worship not-YHWH and kill your enemies" is a bad choice.

We've done the parts of the CCC on reduced moral culpability, and the descent into Hell and the redemption of the dead.

• Locked thread