Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bite your tongue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DrBouvenstein posted:

Keurig duping is real

Wait... this was real? I 100% thought this was a joke post.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MF_James posted:

Wait... this was real? I 100% thought this was a joke post.

It's an actual "vulnerability", but also a joke post in that Keurig themselves are the only ones who actually give a poo poo if people are exploiting this trick (because they can then buy cheaper alternative pods from some other supplier instead of buying official Keurig pods at huge markups).

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Have you guys ever seen a bad SAS cable cause intermittent problems on a system? I'm running out of possibilities for what's causing this super expensive T7600 to boot unreliably and/or fail outright if it has more than 2 drives plugged into it, given that we've replaced the motherboard (and by doing so, the on-board C600 SAS RAID controller).

I generally look at cables as being good=works or bad=doesn't work, but this is intermittent. Once it does boot it seems to work flawlessly.

:sigh:
Regardless as to whether it could be the cause, you should probably have spares available to test/replace anyway.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just got a request to find a digital signal to POTS converter for some old Presto machine that automatically converts emails into hard copy. Does anyone know of such a converter that will work with minimal fuss?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

RFC2324 posted:

I just got a request to find a digital signal to POTS converter for some old Presto machine that automatically converts emails into hard copy. Does anyone know of such a converter that will work with minimal fuss?

Unless you need that specific machine for Legal Reasons, it'll probably be quicker, cheaper, and easier with an old laptop, a new laser printer, a copy of Outlook, a sociopathic disregard for trees, and complete dedication to terrible ideas.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Have you guys ever seen a bad SAS cable cause intermittent problems on a system? I'm running out of possibilities for what's causing this super expensive T7600 to boot unreliably and/or fail outright if it has more than 2 drives plugged into it, given that we've replaced the motherboard (and by doing so, the on-board C600 SAS RAID controller).

I generally look at cables as being good=works or bad=doesn't work, but this is intermittent. Once it does boot it seems to work flawlessly.

It's still in warranty. Call Dell. Stay on the phone until it is fixed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dennyk posted:

It's an actual "vulnerability", but also a joke post in that Keurig themselves are the only ones who actually give a poo poo if people are exploiting this trick (because they can then buy cheaper alternative pods from some other supplier instead of buying official Keurig pods at huge markups).

Yes but the 2.0s don't actually have a scanner that fails to use knockoff cups right? I was planning on getting my parents a 2.0 with a coupon but I don't want them going broke on keurig pods.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Unless you need that specific machine for Legal Reasons, it'll probably be quicker, cheaper, and easier with an old laptop, a new laser printer, a copy of Outlook, a sociopathic disregard for trees, and complete dedication to terrible ideas.

I agree, and my suggestion was similar(something like a raspberry pi, a minimal install of linux that basically has sendmail and cups, a lovely old hp printer, and said disregard for trees) but the desire is to use this, even if the guy has to custom engineer a converter(this is a semiconductor firm, its not that hard to get someone to do a quick and dirty converter circuit).

The core concept is an appliance for people too old to figure out email to be able to get the latest message from the great grandkids, so it does need to be a fairly idiot proof device that I could do a quick configuration of and drop off, so I never have to worry about it again. The existing device maintains a whitelist of emails that are allowed to send to it, and so it will only print the crap family sends, but is old enough that it won't connect to a digital line, like out of a cable box.

I honestly don't know why this came down to me, since its not something we even do, but I got the request and am seeing if I can find a cheap converter that can be used instead of the more expensive in time options.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
NVM

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

m.hache posted:

It always baffles me when CIO/CEO's think that cutting IT costs is always for the benefit of the company.

There should be so many other departments that get hit first.

Counting the days until I don't deal with bullshit Tier 1 tickets anymore, onto the glorious land of being a Senior admin.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Half the schools were without WLAN yesterday due to a surprisingly high amount of lightning strikes that knocked a lot of APs and switches offline. All hands on deck to help get things back online.

last night we had yet another thunderstorm and from what I can hear another 25% of APs got kicked in the guts and went offline. With this luck we can expect 3/4 of the harbor installations to be out of order om Monday with the hurricane coming in tonight. :sigh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did you try using different slots to track down which slot is faulty?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

quote:

In doing the update on my laptop today the ability to connect to the internet at home has been disabled. Need this asap
Pls contact me Fri am to reinstate
Sent from my Windows Phone

This came in to an email address that I created about a month ago to link to a rollout of a helpdesk system. System isn't live, isn't published, and sure as gently caress hasn't been communicated to anybody that it's available to be used for IT support.

DELETE

:smuggo:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Volmarias posted:

Unless you are moving into a weird dev-qa hybrid, no you're not. You're still going to be opening tickets saying "XYZ is broken, please fix." The difference is that

1) you will now actively be looking for these issues, instead of logging then when you or a user blunder into them
2) you will need to make a good effort at reliably reproducing these issues
3) you may be listened to less, not more, because the issue is not yet customer facing and this does not impact anyone important

That said, if you have a good QA department that tries to be intelligent and proactive, you may get to set up a test infrastructure that developers can test against directly per commit instead of manually clicking a thousand things, which is development in its own right.

Check whether you're going to be a tester or a test engineer. There is a big, big difference.

I spent most of the last two days reproducing issues, going through the debugger, figuring out where values are loving up and passing them over to dev (and usually sit there and show them exactly how to reproduce). This is way better than before, because i'm getting to take a look at code and issues are being fixed within a day, rather than it taking a week for them to even look at the stuff I raise.

But yeah, its a new QA department, before we didn't actually have an official one, whenever we wanted a tester we'd just pull a random support guy off of testing and he'd be the tester for the day.

Making a good effort at replicating the issues, etc is something that we do anyway, as you don't get to raise unless you can reliably replicate. Looking for the issues is not really to much of an issue for me, as so far i'm doing area tests, we'll see how it goes when I start doing full tests. I'm optimistic, its going well so far and i'm being listened to unless its a minor issue. If its a minor issue I just mark it as minor and move on.

All in all, its pretty much exactly what was advertised as so far, which is good because me and a couple of the devs came up with this in the first place.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
An old Dell came in ...

Go given an old Dell desktop a week or so ago, (most of my friends know I'll take any old computer stuff, I can't help it, I'm a hoarder ...) and tried powering it up yesterday, it seemed to boot ok but no display when using the AGP card, but worked fine with onboard, so I popped out the FX5500 (!) and I think I've spotted why it's not working:

The service tag says its a 2004 vintage:

Computer Model
Dimension 4600
Shipping Date
5/20/2004
Country
United Kingdom

and the XP Home install says it was last used last year, not bad :D

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kurieg posted:

Yes but the 2.0s don't actually have a scanner that fails to use knockoff cups right? I was planning on getting my parents a 2.0 with a coupon but I don't want them going broke on keurig pods.

No, that part is 100% true. Coffee DRM is an actual thing now. But there's a company out there that makes some special ring you can put on the machine to disable the DRM, last I saw a thread on Slickdeals they were actually giving away 20k of them for free. The same company is also in the process of suing Keurig for being anti-competitive.

Edit: Here's the thread http://slickdeals.net/f/7447686-free-freedom-clip-for-keurig-2-0-brewers?v=1

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 12, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Had a bunch of poo poo from yesterday because of the massive nor'easter that hit New England.

It knocked out service from FairPoint communications in a lot of areas...a lot of areas where we have customers. :suicide:

One customer was completely dead in the water, as they only have the one single connection. That was actually relatively easy to deal with because, welp, nothing for us to do! V:shobon:V

One customer was having weird issues with DNS. They use FairPoint as their primary ISP, with Comcast as a failover (why in the world it's not the other way around, I don't know... their history in the region with outages, reliability, etc...has always been better than FairPoint.)

They couldn't get any external DNS resolution. So no web browsing, email, etc...Oh, and this is a brand-new customer that hasn't been really provisioned yet, they just signed a contract a week or so ago, so we have no monitoring agents on their servers, no VPN access, no list of network devices, servers, etc...and their senior network admin was out "sick" that day. Oh, and I was literally the only one on our office, as well...and I'm basically still brand new to this whole thing, so yeah...that was fun.

I had the woman on the phone (who at least knew her stuff as well as me, so possibly a help desk tech or lower level network admin,) urns out that their DNS forwarding on their domain controllers was technically working fine...it had the FairPoint DNS servers first, followed by the Comcast Ones. Their Firewall properly switched their connection over to Comcast, but here's the rub:
FairPoint's DNS servers were still up, they just weren't resolving anything. So the DNS forwarding never went down the list to Comcast's DNS servers.

And then a third customer had no incoming email. They have Comcast and FairPoint through a load balancer. They use Mimecast for some email services, and the problem was the configuration on their end. Mimecast had two IP addresses to send the mail to, but wasn't configured to use each IP as the other's alternate if it was failing to send.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Not a ticket, but I got an e-mail telling my contribution to my retirement fund is being automatically increased from 3% to 4% of my pay (the default at my company is for this to happen every year until you're up to like 6%). I would change this back, but I'm just too lazy to figure out how but I think overall I appreciate this default because I know given a choice I would probably be contributing 1% to increase overall beer budget.

EDIT for content:

One of my coworkers (inadvertently, I think) set me up to look like a dick. We had two VMs which didn't have enough unallocated disk space for backups to happen and because these VMs allow users full root access, first guess was that the users were at fault. Talking with my coworker we determined I should shoot them an e-mail, tell them they dun goofed, ask them to shrink their data volumes and in the future contact the helpdesk when they're running low on disk space. Turns out the users of these two VM's had done exactly that, it was us who didn't leave enough room for the backup snapshot and my coworker had even worked on the ticket and had just finished up created a new master image for this class of VM's that had a larger disk allocated to it.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 12, 2014

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

The core concept is an appliance for people too old to figure out email to be able to get the latest message from the great grandkids, so it does need to be a fairly idiot proof device that I could do a quick configuration of and drop off, so I never have to worry about it again. The existing device maintains a whitelist of emails that are allowed to send to it, and so it will only print the crap family sends, but is old enough that it won't connect to a digital line, like out of a cable box.
At my last job, there was an employee who was nearing retirement and had never had a computer on his desk (not that he really needed one). He did have to have access to e-mails that were sent to him. I chose to continue the solution that was put into place before I got there - a Win7 VM with an Outlook plug-in that just sent everything to the printer in his office.

It was maintenance-free and he was a nice guy so it didn't bother me all that much.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

captkirk posted:

Not a ticket, but I got an e-mail telling my contribution to my retirement fund is being automatically increased from 3% to 4% of my pay (the default at my company is for this to happen every year until you're up to like 6%). I would change this back, but I'm just too lazy to figure out how but I think overall I appreciate this default because I know given a choice I would probably be contributing 1% to increase overall beer budget.

+1. I'm so glad that a percent of my immediate post-college income was locked up far away from me rather than being poured into my pint glass.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

evobatman posted:

It's still in warranty. Call Dell. Stay on the phone until it is fixed.

This has been my current strategy. We've got ProSupport so I'm fairly confident it'll get sorted out eventually. I have no complaints about how they've handled it so far, though they seem pretty stumped too.

Also, the user just told me yesterday evening that it's more or less behaved like this (booted unreliably, runs fine when it does) since he got it, though it's recently gotten worse. The tech who picked this thing up originally thought it had just started recently. :suicide:

As far as having the cables on-hand go - yes, I completely 100% agree. I've been here long enough that that's on me for not having gotten the place stocked up better than it is. That said, I'm 99% sure this is the only machine in the building that uses SAS connectors, and even with that said, I don't think there's too many shops that would have these cables on-hand. I could be wrong about that last part - it's one bundled cable that plugs into the SAS controller on the host end, and 4 combined power/SATA on the device end. Which might be common but I've never seen it. I've asked Dell to send me a replacement for it; they're also escalating it up to some engineering team, or something.

We've temporarily given the desktop back so that he can run some simulations that he was needing - luckily the guy's pretty cool about the whole thing.

spankmeister posted:

Did you try using different slots to track down which slot is faulty?
Yeah, and I didn't really have any luck. It's got like an 80% success rate booting with just the single OS drive plugged in, regardless of where it is, and maybe 60% if it also has its data SSD. It fails basically every time if it has the 2TB data HDD he had in there (but of course, not always!). The way everything's so intermittent is what's been driving me crazy on this.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

LordVorbis posted:

This came in to an email address that I created about a month ago to link to a rollout of a helpdesk system. System isn't live, isn't published, and sure as gently caress hasn't been communicated to anybody that it's available to be used for IT support.

DELETE

:smuggo:
If you're running Exchange, simply creating the address put it in the Global Address List, so if he/she forgot the correct address and was just looking through the GAL, I'd say they followed the correct process and you dun goofed for leaving it in there when it wasn't "live".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sirotan posted:

No, that part is 100% true. Coffee DRM is an actual thing now. But there's a company out there that makes some special ring you can put on the machine to disable the DRM, last I saw a thread on Slickdeals they were actually giving away 20k of them for free. The same company is also in the process of suing Keurig for being anti-competitive.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised that this exists or not. I mean, gently caress, this isn't a PSOne game that you're trying to keep a highschooler from copying for all his friends it's a goddamn cup of coffee.

:psyduck:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if I should be surprised that this exists or not. I mean, gently caress, this isn't a PSOne game that you're trying to keep a highschooler from copying for all his friends it's a goddamn cup of coffee.

:psyduck:

Their business model depends on selling lots of overpriced cups of coffee and if a competitor sells compatible cups for less money this hurts their business. The only reason they're doing this is because they want to corner the market.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spankmeister posted:

Their business model depends on selling lots of overpriced cups of coffee and if a competitor sells compatible cups for less money this hurts their business. The only reason they're doing this is because they want to corner the market.

See also:

Inkjet printers
Razors
Digital music
far too many other things...

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Hopefully the ink refilling places branch out in to coffee refilling.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
A ticket came in 5min before I got to go home for the Friday...

"change tape x in the backup".

So I took the elevator to the basement where the storage is, ran through the maze to get there and tried to find the tape, no tape to be found. Panicked and ran to the other side of the building to the server room and found the tape in the tape library in the server. It was there all along, no need to be inserted...

So I got hold of the person who sent the ticket and informed him of this and he ofc said "nooo, it cannot be, look again".

So I ran all the way back and took pictures this time. Ran back to a message that basically said, "lol, sorry I found it now".

I am now drinking beer. :smith:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

The quick and easy seems to be to cut off the ring part of a DRM-enabled K-cup and tape it over the rim of your reusable of choice: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct....81828268,d.cWc

I'm no coffee snob but I'll be damned if I can't get Bustelo from a K-cup. :colbert:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
gently caress Quickbooks, seriously. Seems like every other day one of our clients calls us with Quickbooks problems.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

gently caress Quickbooks, seriously. Seems like every other day one of our clients calls us with Quickbooks problems.

It's a horrible piece of software with even worse support.

Their system wouldn't authenticate our information for a password reset and when you call them up they want $79.99 to help you. 1 hour on the phone and my problem still wasn't resolved AND they charged me $79.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If you buy a Keurig machine, deserve to be ripped off imo

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

spankmeister posted:

Not going to touch a 2.0, but it does make me wonder about all those $20 "Offical Keurig reusable brewing cups" that are probably unusable now because they don't have the right ink on the rim.

ElGroucho posted:

Literally the only reason I have one is because I got tired of finding moldy coffee/grounds in the pot from a roommate making coffee and not cleaning up after themselves. If I made coffee on any regular basis it'd be a non-issue but when you actually need it, finding the coffee machine in that sort of state is the worst thing.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 12, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, the patent on K-Cups ran out a few years ago, or something, so this is there way around that. There's an RFID reader in the Keurig 2.0 brewers and an RFID tag on the lid of the "official" cups, hence the "hacks" involving taping the lid of an approved cup to the brewer.

They also have a couple other kinds of brewers; Vue and Rivo that are barely used, cost more money for the brewer, cost more money for the packs, and I imagine still have a solid patent going for them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Please tell me about your Aeropress and/or pour-over setup

We've got a stand-up percolator for more than one cup at a time but maybe it's nice to not have a coffee infrastructure to administer, maintain, and wash up after when I can just use a re-usable K-cup, dump the grounds, rinse it out, and move on.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MJP posted:

We've got a stand-up percolator for more than one cup at a time but maybe it's nice to not have a coffee infrastructure to administer, maintain, and wash up after when I can just use a re-usable K-cup, dump the grounds, rinse it out, and move on.

BonaVita coffee maker can be had fairly inexpensively, they brew at the proper temperature and, just like any other coffee maker, they're easy to clean.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

FairPoint communications in a lot of areas...a lot of areas where we have customers. :suicide:

I'm pretty shocked FairPoint isn't out of business yet. Aren't they still trying to gently caress over their line workers?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sigma posted:

I'm pretty shocked FairPoint isn't out of business yet. Aren't they still trying to gently caress over their line workers?

Oh yeah, I think there's still a lot of their workers on strike picketing their building that's in the next town over from me.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, the patent on K-Cups ran out a few years ago, or something, so this is there way around that. There's an RFID reader in the Keurig 2.0 brewers and an RFID tag on the lid of the "official" cups, hence the "hacks" involving taping the lid of an approved cup to the brewer.

They also have a couple other kinds of brewers; Vue and Rivo that are barely used, cost more money for the brewer, cost more money for the packs, and I imagine still have a solid patent going for them.

RFID? I thought the thing was 100% UV ink on the lids. Having an RFID in literally every cup would be a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something disposable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

You could buy some Walmart brand freeze dried coffee and get the same quality as a Keurig cup

You didn't actually believe that poo poo was high quality did you?

• Locked thread