Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this does not sound as entertaining as I had hoped it would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

JFairfax posted:

Yeah you're right.

Is anyone keeping an eye on those buzzword odds someone posted here a few hours ago? How far along are we?

"It's not about stopping people getting into the country, it's about vetting them"

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

I see we're setting into the narrative of "We're full and we shouldn't have more people coming in but errrr people should be able to come in but be vetted. Also all immigrants are rapists and murderers"

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
That shouty lady is going to be thrown out.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Penny looks tired.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

JFairfax posted:

Its just a farce, really. Its awfully depressing, but Paul Dare will be wanking himself blind.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Had to turn it off. Generating too much genuine fear for the slide into fascism we're facing right now in me.

Like, it's catching on to a worrying degree.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

That Penny Mordaunt is well fit :D

Had to lower the level of debate to something like the program itself.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
The program proves that British people can't be trusted with immigration. Leave it to Brussels, I say.

The tory MP is seeming like the least draconian one here, excluding Brand obviously. :smith:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

Penny looks tired.

She looks a little bit like Rebecca Front on the Thick of it.

Also loving hell Bunny, pick your battles please yell at Nigel not the audience.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
I liked it when Russell Brand was accused of using language that could cause the rise of fascism while farrage sat at the other end of the panel, girning.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think Russell is enjoying listening and not speaking.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Boiling an idea down to its literal dictionary definition, the last resort of internet arguments.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Had to turn it off. Generating too much genuine fear for the slide into fascism we're facing right now in me.
We're way past slide, we're wallowing in the ball pool and starting to eye the bouncy castle.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I know it's ConservativeHome, but there's an interesting blog post talking about the broad church nature of UKIP, roughly splitting it into five camps: Blue (Tory), Red (Labour), Grey (old), Khaki (ex-BNP), and Purple (libertarian). That said, the author does fall shy of describing it as facets of the same populism that is at the centre of UKIP strategy.

e: Apparently, the shouty lady is a Swappie post-Delta loyalist. :smith:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 12, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How does one 'not take' a pay rise?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TinTower posted:

e: Apparently, the shouty lady is a Swappie post-Delta loyalist. :smith:

No that's untrue she left with rs21 in January. And then left rs21.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think the shouty lady has been kicked out.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Very carefully

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

serious gaylord posted:

I think the shouty lady has been kicked out.

Good.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Brand will either explode into a shower of premium cocaine, or just jive talking.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Farage talking about grammar schools as a tool for social mobility is... I don't know how he manages to miss the point so horribly.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Spooky Hyena posted:

Farage talking about grammar schools as a tool for social mobility is... I don't know how he manages to miss the point so horribly.

A lot of older voters believe Grammar Schools were a tool for social mobility:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/dec/05/-sp-social-mobility-decline-elitist-education-david-kynaston

quote:

For what was in many ways an impenetrable, heavy-duty work of sociology, Goldthorpe’s analysis attracted considerable attention, including prompting a memorable sentence from Roy Hattersley in the Sunday Times: “Today it seems incredible that anyone ever really believed that children from the slums – badly housed, badly fed and badly protected from illness – enjoyed equality of opportunity with their suburban contemporaries just because they took the same examination on the same day in their 12th year.” In short, the strongly pro-comprehensive Hattersley was arguing in 1980, that the postwar mechanism of 11-plus and grammar schools, for that minority fortunate enough to pass, had been part of the problem, not the solution. Was that historically fair? Given that in 2014 the man of the moment, Nigel Farage, believes that the way to lick the current social mobility problem is to bring back the grammars, and given also the widespread collective folk memory of the grammars as providing unrivalled, game-changing ladders of opportunity, it is a question worth asking.

My answer would tend to side with Hattersley. Although there were undoubtedly many individual cases of working-class children going to grammars and having their life chances transformed, and although I have sympathy with the argument that the comprehensive revolution cut off the growth of a grammar-educated elite that had the potential to rival and challenge the privately educated elite, the facts are that a) the intake at most grammars was heavily skewed towards the existing middle class, and b) the early-leaving problem at grammars (ie leaving school and thus formal education as soon as it was legally permissible to do so) overwhelmingly involved and affected working-class children. By the mid-1950s a middle-class child who had been to a grammar was five times as likely to go on to a university as was a child from an unskilled working-class background who had also been to a grammar; while by the 1960s the 22% chance that a boy from a working-class background would attend a grammar – compared with a 66% chance for a boy from a service-class background – was actually 5% less than it had been in the 1950s. And of course, for every working-class child going to a grammar, there were five or six going to a secondary modern. The comprehensive revolution – Anthony Crosland and all that – may or may not have turned out in the round to be a good thing, but it had its reasons.

They're broadly incorrect to think so but Farage isn't spinning this out of whole cloth.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/dec/05/-sp-social-mobility-decline-elitist-education-david-kynaston

They're broadly incorrect to think so but Farage isn't spinning this out of whole cloth.

I suppose they could both be correct that grammar schools were completely slanted towards providing for the middle class AND that they also presented the best opportunity that was offered at the time for a working class person to attain higher educational qualifications and attend university and things.

It's just that if it's designed to increase social mobility for the poor it should probably directly do that, rather than trickle down from the middle classes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hey ukmt, if anyone here is a php and JavaScript developer, or at least is a developer that can learn fast, and wants a job in Gloucestershire, pm me.

Can also offer cheap accommodation if you want to move.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

namesake posted:

I suppose they could both be correct that grammar schools were completely slanted towards providing for the middle class AND that they also presented the best opportunity that was offered at the time for a working class person to attain higher educational qualifications and attend university and things.

It's just that if it's designed to increase social mobility for the poor it should probably directly do that, rather than trickle down from the middle classes.
Yeah, the problem is that they pay lip service to equality of opportunity, everyone takes the test and anyone can pass it, but it ignores the inequality of opportunity of everything surrounding the test. These days there are also a wide array of private tutors and other support mechanisms for those who can afford them to give children with rich parents an even greater advantage.

The full article is well worth a read and examines equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome in education and the elephant of the room of social mobility; the rich have to be able to fall for the poor to be able to rise.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pissflaps posted:

The early slapdown about men speaking over women basically did for him and farage both.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Spooky Hyena posted:

Back in the day they more geared at taking people of whatever background based on their primary school 11+ exam results, sending the potential academics to one place, the grammer school where they were allowed to do O-Levels and everyone else to the comprehensives to learn metal working or whatever. The toffs went to public schools.

My old dad for example grew up in basically a slum in Bow in London but did well at primary school and got sent to a grammer school.

Somewhere along the way though they became dominated by the middle class pupils because their parents could afford to have them tutored and ... feed them well! in preparation for the 11+.

But there really isnt much point separating the 2 systems anymore, I fail to see why a modern school cant support both things, why add the level of complexity. Why deny a child a the right to some advanced teaching because they loving up some exam at age 11, they might excel.

If think the point im trying to make here in this ramble is that the original grammer school system in its day was quite a good idea but its now irrelevant. And Farage is a jerkoff

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

If the quotes cited in QT today are accurate about the percentage of brightest pupils being failed by comprehensive schools (after years of trying alternative solutions to grammars), then it doesn't bode well for our long term future economic competitiveness. Whether the solution is more selective education within the state system, I don't know. For what it's worth, it's not just about the 11+, there is the 12+ (which I took), 13+ and 16+ - there were quite a few people who joined my grammar from the local (very bad) comprehensive at 16 and enjoyed massively better life outcomes as a result.

Edit: Can't believe Dianne Abbott has no problem with extrajudicial drone strike execution after speaking so passionately against torture on the Daily Politics. Bizarre.

Edit2: Apparently there is also a 14+, but it's mainly for people moving into the area.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 12, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Seaside Loafer posted:

Why deny a child a the right to some advanced teaching because they loving up some exam at age 11, they might excel.

Its worth mentioning this that failing the 11+ does not necessarily mean you can never get into a grammar school. I took the 11+, passed, and went to a grammar school. My sister also took the 11+, failed, and went to a regular comprehensive. However she spent less than a year there before they agreed that she should have gone to a grammar school, and she left in year 7 and started out at a grammar school in year 8.

More recently, one of my work colleague's daughter got a bad case of exam nerves and failed her 11+, and her teacher, along with the headteacher successfully appealed and got her into a grammar school. So if someone does mess up on the test but their standard of work and aptitude over their schooling to that point gives all indication that they should have passed and would do well at such a school still has a very good chance of getting in.

Really though, wealthy parents don't have any bigger advantage with grammar schools that they don't have with everything else in life. Yes they could feed their kid well and get them private tutoring, they could do the same thing with their GCSEs later on to give them an advantage. They could buy their kid a car and pay for the insurance, which someone without said wealthy parents would struggle with or be priced out completely. They could give their kid a nice big lump sum of money for a deposit to get them on the housing ladder, giving them a big advantage over those who's parents cannot afford to help them in that way. Etc, etc.

Unless things have change recently, when I was at secondary school it was quite a mix of kids from all different backgrounds. A few had astonishingly wealthy families, some had very hard up families, and the rest were all over the place. We were however seen as posh by the comprehensive schoolkids in the area and interactions with them were usually very violent.

If we wanted to attack the concept of money providing an advantage in education, wouldn't private schools be a better target?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Ludicro posted:

Unless things have change recently, when I was at secondary school it was quite a mix of kids from all different backgrounds. A few had astonishingly wealthy families, some had very hard up families, and the rest were all over the place. We were however seen as posh by the comprehensive schoolkids in the area and interactions with them were usually very violent.

I would imagine being consigned to a lower caste could make one quite bitter.

Also I'd imagine people opposed to grammar schools are opposed to private schools too.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Like, it's catching on to a worrying degree.

It's about time the left became militant again. Maybe this will force the issue.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What are people's opinions of Abbott in general?

Aside from her being the punching bag on Daily Politics years ago I'm not really familiar with what she's done. Her comment about white people seeking to divide and conquer people of colour upsets a lot of UKIP types but given the evidence of history (people from the subcontinent being brought in as an administrative buffer in African and Caribbean colonies for instance) it seems fairly accurate. Though since Kippers are devoted to scapegoating everyone who isn't small town white British for the crimes of the 1% that isn't a huge surprise.

Sorry if this has been said and I've just missed a bit the thing with Abbott is when you're on the daily politics and Michael Portillo comes across as more concerned with the plight of the worst off in society than you and you're meant to be the leftist then there is something wrong. Though in Portillo's defense watching him present various documentaries there was a distinct change in his outlook after he did the show when he lived as a single mother on benefits for a week and has seemed to have genuinely developed a conscience since, also his recent great train journeys in Europe travelogue show has been great.

Holy poo poo I am a bad UKMT poster I have been defending Portillo. To save some face I have been thinking about joining the CPGB -(ML) as they are pretty active in Birmingham and do a lot of good campaigns, the only problem is they refuse to criticise any Communist regime so they are big supporters of the likes of lovely places like North Korea, what is the correct way to approach such a thing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Phoon posted:

I just moved so I have no internet, hence no aerial wire. I could try to watch live on my phone I suppose.

poo poo missed this, whens the flat? Sorry for the double post.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I personally support the concept of grammar schools.

The argument against them is that they favoured the richer middle class who could tutor their children. But with the comprehension system, instead those parents who could afford to move to a good catchment area get a good education instead, and any who cannot or will not move must either send their children to a comprehensive the rest of the middle class deserted or pay for private education for their child, which deprives the children who do go to these schools of the positive influences of the children whose parents care the most.

While grammar schools were dominated by the middle classes, they did provide a a way for both middle and working classes to get quality education for no cost, and prevented middle class families fleeing cities for suburbs for better education.

In the end, we traded passing the 11+ for good education for being able to buy a house in a good catchment area for good education.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Labour itself has long embraced the totem of "local parents decide" so the effect of bidding up good catchments is only going to get worse.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

winegums posted:

People still seem to think Farage is some sort of brave outsider and every time he looks like a tit on QT it's because the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corperation set him up with left wing plants in the audience. He can do no wrong because the cargo-cult that is UKIP spin failures into conspiracies.

I'll take Brand over Farage, Russell is a bit simplistic and pseudo-smart, but the fundamentals of his arguments are fairly sympathetic.

Not sure what makes you say ukip is cargo-cult

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

e: this reply to nothing to seehere

There is already streaming and sets etc in secondary schools, the concept is obsolete unless you really want your children to have 'the best' (irony intended) then you have the option of private schools.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Yeah. For some people it's based on personal experience, because grammar schools were pretty much the only way out and some people at least were fortunate enough to be able to seize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

nothing to seehere posted:

I personally support the concept of grammar schools.

The argument against them is that they favoured the richer middle class who could tutor their children. But with the comprehension system, instead those parents who could afford to move to a good catchment area get a good education instead, and any who cannot or will not move must either send their children to a comprehensive the rest of the middle class deserted or pay for private education for their child, which deprives the children who do go to these schools of the positive influences of the children whose parents care the most.

While grammar schools were dominated by the middle classes, they did provide a a way for both middle and working classes to get quality education for no cost, and prevented middle class families fleeing cities for suburbs for better education.

In the end, we traded passing the 11+ for good education for being able to buy a house in a good catchment area for good education.

If Grammar schools were brought back they'd only be placed in nice suburban areas anyway. Middle class parents co-opting a system designed to be egalitarian strongly suggests they'd co-opt a system designed to be tilted in their favour even more.

• Locked thread