Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/11/fifa-vote-world-cup-bidding-report

I for one can't wait for the yes vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Are we not including Basketball or Ice Hockey for any special reason?

The US is great at winning sports where they have pretty much the only professional league in the world (or their professional league is so far ahead of the other ones that they get literally 100% of the good players to play there). Other sports, not so much.

And even then, they can't win at hockey.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I think you'll find that America wins the World Series of whatever sport almost every time and therefore are the best at sports, and if any other countries were worth competing against they'd be in the World Series anyway

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
US wins all the time at track and field poo poo ergo we've the most athletic and I'm afraid it's literally just a matter of applying that athleticism and we're the best at whatever, including wars

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
It seems pretty convenient we aren't considering the Olympics in our count of world championships. Team sports or otherwise.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Plus America builds the "culture of famous" better than anybody and the sponsors around those superstars make them global phenomenons. Could soccer use a few more global phenomenons that instantly have reach in the #1 economy in the world, then beyond? And like I said, our web engineering and development gives us the best presentation, UX/UI for fans. Everything I've used in researching EPL, LL, S1 feel like websites from 2002.

Additionally, when you refer to the "everyone around the world who doesn't already watch the most popular game in the world," that's us. Americans. The NFL and MLB each seperately bring in twice the revenue to EPL. NHL Hockey brings in more revenue than Bundesliga and the only people who watch hockey are general sports frontrunners, closeted racists, guys who still like grunge music, and midwestern beardo hipsters. We spend stupid amounts of money on meaningless poo poo while our children lack education and the general economic, social infrastructure to be successful adults. And the meaningless poo poo we love to spend it on most is sports. So, yes, soccer gaining the American audience would be a huge boon to the game itself.

You can play the best game in the world. Americans, in their worst, best know how to package a product and sell it, meaning that America is far more important to this made-up breakaway FIFA than any other country

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
/\/\/\/\ We are exceptional at packaging up things to be consumed in media. That's our thing. We're A+ #1 at it. I've watched many broadcasts, fumbled with UI/UX features on different websites, and I've wondered why all this poo poo is so old and dated. The world media mostly loving sucks at covering football, both from the lack of advanced stats to actually explain things and general packaging of it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It seems pretty convenient we aren't considering the Olympics in our count of world championships. Team sports or otherwise.

Individual sports really don't count for poo poo when it comes to performance in team sports. And in Olympic team sports, again, the US only dominates, or even really does well at all, in sports where they have the #1 completely most dominant professional league in the world and no one else even comes close.

Team sports at the Olympics:
  • The US completely dominates basketball because only the NBA counts as a meaningful basketball league and other countries don't care.
  • The US has never won men's water polo and only won women's water polo for the first time in 2012.
  • The US has won men's ice hockey twice (last time in 1980) and women's once (in 1998, the first year it existed).
  • The US has never won, or even medalled, in men's or women's curling.
  • The US has never won, or even medalled, in men's or women's handball.
  • The US has won men's volleyball three times since 1964, and never won women's.
  • The US has never won men's or women's field hockey.
  • The US has obviously never won men's football, though they have won gold at 4 out of 5 tournaments since women's football was introduced.

But yeah, the US is clearly sooooo good at team sports, at the Olympics or otherwise.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Individual sports really don't count for poo poo when it comes to performance in team sports. And in Olympic team sports, again, the US only dominates, or even really does well at all, in sports where they have the #1 completely most dominant professional league in the world and no one else even comes close.

Team sports at the Olympics:
  • The US completely dominates basketball because only the NBA counts as a meaningful basketball league and other countries don't care.
  • The US has never won men's water polo and only won women's water polo for the first time in 2012.
  • The US has won men's ice hockey twice (last time in 1980) and women's once (in 1998, the first year it existed).
  • The US has never won, or even medalled, in men's or women's curling.
  • The US has never won, or even medalled, in men's or women's handball.
  • The US has won men's volleyball three times since 1964, and never won women's.
  • The US has never won men's or women's field hockey.
  • The US has obviously never won men's football, though they have won gold at 4 out of 5 tournaments since women's football was introduced.

But yeah, the US is clearly sooooo good at team sports, at the Olympics or otherwise.

Nobody gives a poo poo, holy gently caress.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

vyelkin posted:

England is great at winning sports where they have pretty much the only professional league in the world (or their professional league is so far ahead of the other ones that they get literally 100% of the good players to play there). Other sports, not so much.

And even then, they can't win at foot.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Except that Spain, Germany and Italy have comparable leagues and there's probably another 10 or so not awfully far behind?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Bogan Krkic posted:

Except that Spain, Germany and Italy have comparable leagues and there's probably another 10 or so not awfully far behind?

(I was talking about netball)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Dirk Pitt posted:

(I was talking about netball)

Australia and New Zealand are far more successful at netball

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Shrapnig posted:

^^^This

Seriously guys, this is a dumb as hell nationalistic jerk off based purely on hypotheticals. It's idiotic, spurious, and unprovable. You guys are better than this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Daduzi posted:

^^^This

Seriously guys, this is a dumb as hell nationalistic jerk off based purely on hypotheticals. It's idiotic, spurious, and unprovable. You guys are better than this.

We really aren't though.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Shrapnig posted:

I do, you're just jealous of Australia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The real solution is to be like Canada and only care about one sport and also completely dominate the world at it.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30440705

They are voting to release yet another edited version of the Garcia report?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

I do, you're just jealous of Australia

I've seen nigga steves fits, I'm not friend.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

I've seen nigga steves fits, I'm not friend.

Wow!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Bea Nanner posted:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30440705

They are voting to release yet another edited version of the Garcia report?

Not quite. They're voting on article 36 of the code of ethics which they've been using as an argument to avoid publishing the report. The article is:

quote:

1. The members of the Ethics Committee and the members of the secretariats
shall ensure that everything disclosed to them during the course of their
duty remains confidential, in particular, facts of the case, contents of the
investigations and deliberations and decisions taken as well as private personal
data in compliance with the FIFA Data Protection Regulations. Equally, the
members of the Ethics Committee shall not make any declarations related to
ongoing proceedings dealt with by the Ethics Committee.
2. Only the final decisions already notified to the addressees may be made
public.
3. In the event of a breach of this article by a member of the Ethics Committee,
the relevant member shall be suspended by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee
until the next FIFA Congress.

It probably won't be passed as they'll argue that the confidentially clause is vital to ongoing investigations. In truth removing it will probably not actually have many positive effects as it will effectively kill the anonymity rights of whistle blowers.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
I expect the vote itself will be anonymous, in which case the Executive Committee gets to wring its hands and say they wanted to release the report but were prevented from doing so by England and Beckenbauer.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Reminder that the United States has won the world cups of dominating the earth economically, politically, culturally, and militarily and all of these Mickey Mouse trophies you are all babbling on about are meaningless.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The americans are the best at performing torture. I know this because I tried to watch the superbowl once and still have ptsd

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The other reason why article 36 won't be amended is because it's the reason that Blatter is able to say that he hasn't seen the full report and avoid questions on that front.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lithuania are way better at basketball than America.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Shut the gently caress up about America and talk about FIFA you spergs

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Lithuania are way better at basketball than America.

They just have cooler shirts.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Shut the gently caress up about America and talk about FIFA you spergs

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
FIFA sucks and is very corrupt.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

BlueBayou posted:

FIFA sucks and is very corrupt.

Actually I think you'll find that a report was recently released that clears FIFA of all wrongdoing.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Big Black Dick posted:

I agree, it's an excellent idea that Kiribati - with a population of ~100,000 and who has literally never won an international match - has the same voice in FIFA as Germany.

Kiribati aren't a member of FIFA hth

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's the Caribbeans who have a shitload of members, Oceania barely has more members than South America.

vvvv: well Kiribati isn't in the Caribbeans so...

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 12, 2014

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Adnar posted:

Kiribati aren't a member of FIFA hth

Don't be pedantic. The point still stands if you substitute Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands, or any of the host of other tiny Caribbean nations that literally call up Sunday league players for International matches.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Big Black Dick posted:

I agree, it's an excellent idea that Kiribati - with a population of ~100,000 and who has literally never won an international match - has the same voice in FIFA as Germany.

make this guy head of fifa

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Big Black Dick posted:

Don't be pedantic. The point still stands if you substitute Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands, or any of the host of other tiny Caribbean nations that literally call up Sunday league players for International matches.

You mean like Gibraltar and San Marino?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

You mean like Gibraltar and San Marino?

Gibraltar is not a member of FIFA

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Are people really against the thought that countries that barely register in the international football radar, without professional leagues nor infrastructure shouldn't have the same voting weight as countries like France, Germany or England?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

advanced statsman posted:

Are people really against the thought that countries that barely register in the international football radar, without professional leagues nor infrastructure shouldn't have the same voting weight as countries like France, Germany or England?

they've been playing football in Scotland for a century and a half and it's only fair to give them a strong voice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If your country hasn't qualified for it in the past, you shouldn't get a vote on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
One vote per World Cup or World War won seems fair