Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

Were they used or fresh out of the pack?

Tastes lovely either way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

a worthy uhh posted:

Tastes lovely either way...

Probably as good as Bo & Luke. Oh yes, I went there.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

But Bo & Luke is actually good? I am typically a smoked beer hater but Bo & Luke is a rare exception that gets it right.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

Likes Founders. Hates Bo & Luke.

It's like you're my evil twin or something.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

But Bo & Luke is actually good? I am typically a smoked beer hater but Bo & Luke is a rare exception that gets it right.

I thought it was mediocre at best to be honest. It was far too bourbon forward and I wasn't a fan of the smoke profile.

danbanana posted:

Likes Founders. Hates Bo & Luke.

It's like you're my evil twin or something.

I didn't hate it, but I can think of 10 other BBA beers that are pretty easy to get that I'd take over it. Let's talk Founders though. What is wrong with their year round line up? The only beer I wouldn't buy is their pale ale.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Dark Penance, All Day, and Centennial are all cheap, easy to get, and particularly delicious IPAs and you can't go wrong with their Porter. I like them a lot

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

If we're limiting to the year rounds, last sixer I had of Centennial (from a can) was kind of a gross onion bomb for me. I love Two Hearted though, even though both are Centennial showcase beers. All Day is meh but I'm overall meh on the style. I cannot remember the last time I bought a Founders Pale. In fact, I'm not even sure I've ever tasted it. Their porter is great, and Dirty Bastard is very nice too. I also really like Red Rye, but that's draft-only on a year-round basis.

My only real complaint with Founders is with the Backstage series. Everything after Curmudgeon's Better Half was either priced too high (Dissenter should have been in four packs a la Dark Penance), terrible (Mango Magnifico, Sweet Repute, Bolt Cutter) or just a style I was plain uninterested in (Smoked Porter, Doom). I'm excited for the return of Blushing Monk because I've never gotten to try it and everyone seems to love it.

Danbanana, I remember the day when I missed out on buying the last Sweet Repute to either Jason or Chris and I was disappointed until we actually opened the bottle at the share. Dodged a bullet on that one.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 11, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Wasn't Sweet Repute essentially a re-release of one of their highly praised beers?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

Wasn't Sweet Repute essentially a re-release of one of their highly praised beers?

I think it bore some resemblances to one of the iterations of Nemesis, but I don't care what it was before because I hated it.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I just can't wait until the next batch of Founder's Imperial Stout comes out (January I think). Founders seems to have greatly increased production in general lately, so I'm hopeful it will sit on shelves longer. Love that beer, wish they'd make it year round.

And I can't stop buying (and drinking) Bell's Expedition - I think I'm on my third or fourth 6-pack of it of 2014? Pricey, but goddamn. I can't even bring myself to hang onto any to age...

Blackout Stout isn't as good this year. Can't quite put my finger on why, but rather disappointing.

I love stout season.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I didn't hate it, but I can think of 10 other BBA beers that are pretty easy to get that I'd take over it. Let's talk Founders though. What is wrong with their year round line up? The only beer I wouldn't buy is their pale ale.

The problem with Founders is that they do not offer a year-round beer that I can get multiple better versions sitting right next to it, often from a more local brewery that I'd rather support. They make perfectly fine year-round beer that depending on your distro and local options, might be great. But I don't find any of that stuff buy-worthy just about ever. Their seasonals are in the same boat, with the exception of FBS, which is probably the best coffee stout I can regularly find and at a nice price point. And for the first time in like 2 or 3 years, they've finally started adding new beers to the seasonal/limited list. Didn't like Dark Penance. The Mosiac IPA was good, but not worth a second purchase.

But then there's the Backstage series, which has been outright bad since probably Blushing Monk.

It's not that I hate them; It's just that they don't give me a legitimate reason to buy their beers pretty much ever. Add to that the Backstage hype train that existed before people- myself included- started getting smart to. Even some of their good beers like Backwoods that I like trying once a year have been dropping in quality for a few years- though '14 Backwoods was definitely the best batch since '11.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

The problem with Founders is that they do not offer a year-round beer that I can get multiple better versions sitting right next to it, often from a more local brewery that I'd rather support. They make perfectly fine year-round beer that depending on your distro and local options, might be great. But I don't find any of that stuff buy-worthy just about ever. Their seasonals are in the same boat, with the exception of FBS, which is probably the best coffee stout I can regularly find and at a nice price point. And for the first time in like 2 or 3 years, they've finally started adding new beers to the seasonal/limited list. Didn't like Dark Penance. The Mosiac IPA was good, but not worth a second purchase.

What year-round scotch ale in Chicago distro is better than Dirty Bastard? I do like Robert The Bruce but Founders comes in cheaper and easier to obtain. I'm with you on the others though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

What year-round scotch ale in Chicago distro is better than Dirty Bastard? I do like Robert The Bruce but Founders comes in cheaper and easier to obtain. I'm with you on the others though.

I guess this assumes I'm ever going to purposely drink a scotch ale that isn't Big Sound...

Man, I'm a loving snob today.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Founders is currently demolishing their last remaining parking lot in order to expand for the 2nd or 3rd time this year so I guess they aren't doing a whole lot wrong at the moment.

I really like their Harvest Ale, but it's a blink-and-missed kind of release. I find a lot of their IPAs taste similar though, with Mosaic Promise being a sightly tastier version of All Day. Would be cool if they made a beer with a yeast besides WY1056 at some point. (I'm assuming they did with Dissenter, but that doesn't count because it was terrible.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

I guess this assumes I'm ever going to purposely drink a scotch ale that isn't Big Sound...

Man, I'm a loving snob today.

Old Chub isn't bad for being able to be found at any decent liquor store, and occasionally supermarket for some reason. But it's in no way comparable to anything on Big Sound's level.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I didn't get a chance to try Harvest Ale or Mosaic Promise this year, unfortunately. And how could I forget about Imperial Stout? That beer is amazing, that mouthfeel, that stickyness.. And it drinks so easily too. Personally, I dig the profile more than Breakfast Stout.

Also, my store got Victory at Sea 12 ounce bottles. That's one BP beer I've yet to try, but it sounds killer :getin:

Oh, and daily reminder to buy all of the Hop Ranch you see. Well, leave a case so I can make really obvious hints to my family that I want a case for Christmas, but otherwise go crazy.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

But then there's the Backstage series, which has been outright bad since probably Blushing Monk.

It's not that I hate them; It's just that they don't give me a legitimate reason to buy their beers pretty much ever. Add to that the Backstage hype train that existed before people- myself included- started getting smart to. Even some of their good beers like Backwoods that I like trying once a year have been dropping in quality for a few years- though '14 Backwoods was definitely the best batch since '11.

I dunno I personally buy Founders Porter as much as I do Eddie Fitz and Dirty Bastard is pretty great, though I buy Old Chub more often. I think Founders Imperial Stout and Breakfast Stout are stellar as well, with Breakfast Stout being my favorite coffee stout. Also, All Day is drat near $1 a can and is super crushable for Summer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Anyone expecting a DOS box from me, they'll be in the mail by Monday. I had to order some more packing supplies.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

lots of opinions there

Sirotan posted:

Founders is currently demolishing their last remaining parking lot in order to expand for the 2nd or 3rd time this year so I guess they aren't doing a whole lot wrong at the moment.

it would seem so.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I picked up a bottle of Avery Tweak BA Coffee Stout. It's 17.81% abv. That's gonna be a Christmas beer for sure.

I also bought another half case of Blood Orange Gose because what the gently caress I need more.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm definitely gonna head out tomorrow and see if I can get ahold of some Blood Orange Gose, myself.

I also found that I had a bottle of Quadrotriticale bought in August or so; might open that up sometime soon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Went to a different liquor store today, found that rhubarb gose. I know what I'm trying tonight. The shop is cramped as hell, but they had a lot of stuff I haven't seen elsewhere, so this might be a new spot to explore. :woop: They carry some Allagash, too.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Compusaurus posted:

I picked up a bottle of Avery Tweak BA Coffee Stout. It's 17.81% abv. That's gonna be a Christmas beer for sure.

It's a boozier BCBS. Bests it in a few ways, falls short in others. Price is the only thing keeping me from loading up on more.

graybook posted:

I also found that I had a bottle of Quadrotriticale bought in August or so; might open that up sometime soon.

Or you could also keep the cap on and put it in your toilet to conserve water. A much better use of that beer.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

wattershed posted:

Or you could also keep the cap on and put it in your toilet to conserve water. A much better use of that beer.

this

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I've really liked the Avery gold foil bottles I've had but god drat are they crazy expensive around here. The shop by me wanted like 15 bucks for a 12 oz bottle of pumpKYn. If I'm
Paying over a dollar an ounce for a beer I better have to stand in line for the privilege of doing so!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

I've really liked the Avery gold foil bottles I've had but god drat are they crazy expensive around here. The shop by me wanted like 15 bucks for a 12 oz bottle of pumpKYn. If I'm
Paying over a dollar an ounce for a beer I better have to stand in line for the privilege of doing so!

At least you don't have to drink 750ml of 18%ABV beer in one sitting like you would a Bruery stout at that price. A 12oz serving makes it a long beer to drink, but one you could do without dying.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Scored some Bulleit Barrel Aged Ten Fidy tonight and it was goddamn perfect. I'd be hard pressed to pick a more artfully crafted stout than Ten Fidy (except maybe Expedition), and the barrel just takes it to another level. No adjuncts to get in the way and muddy the flavors, just amazing.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ExtremistCow posted:

Scored some Bulleit Barrel Aged Ten Fidy tonight and it was goddamn perfect. I'd be hard pressed to pick a more artfully crafted stout than Ten Fidy (except maybe Expedition), and the barrel just takes it to another level. No adjuncts to get in the way and muddy the flavors, just amazing.

Yes, I had some last week and it was awesome. I had stop at a bar for a pre-movie beer and ordered a 10 Commandments from Lost Abbey. Solid beer but saw the BA ten-fidy on tap. So I went back after the movie for it. Best decision all week.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dang, that's a shame, then.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

crazyfish posted:

At least you don't have to drink 750ml of 18%ABV beer in one sitting like you would a Bruery stout at that price. A 12oz serving makes it a long beer to drink, but one you could do without dying.

The list of Bruery beers I would ever open by myself is a very short one. I love their stuff but yeah the bottle sizes make it impossible to solo them. I would kill for a 4 pack of Chocolate Rain or Beaureguarde.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently Shaun Hill isn't all the bad -

Jackie O's, a small up and coming brewery in Athens Ohio, had a fire at their taproom last month. Cigar City, Crooked Stave, and Hill Farmstead all sent them kegs to help recoup some costs. They had Hunahpu, Everett, and St. Brett's on tap over the weekend.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
^^^That owns

ExtremistCow posted:

I would consider doing bad things to get my hands on some of this. I probably wouldn't even have to consider it for long.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Apparently Shaun Hill isn't all the bad -

Jackie O's, a small up and coming brewery in Athens Ohio, had a fire at their taproom last month. Cigar City, Crooked Stave, and Hill Farmstead all sent them kegs to help recoup some costs. They had Hunahpu, Everett, and St. Brett's on tap over the weekend.

Oof. How'd they do that legally?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

ExtremistCow posted:

Man, that sounds great, going to have to keep an eye out. And on the subject of Oskar Blues/Old Chub, Old Chub Nitro is great too. And, if you like nitro and Ten Fidy, you owe it to yourself to get some Left Hand Wake Up Dead Nitro. If Oskar Blues starts doing the obvious thing with their nitro production capabilities and putting out Ten Fidy Nitro cans, I probably actually will wake up dead.

LeafHouse posted:

My shop has started getting Cascade bottles in, but at like $35 each I'm having trouble justifying it. I can get like, 3 Tilquin/Lambickx/ASBC/etc. for 2 of those! And they've just started getting some 3F in as well…

So what I'm saying is, someone talk me into it.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

LeafHouse posted:

The list of Bruery beers I would ever open by myself is a very short one. I love their stuff but yeah the bottle sizes make it impossible to solo them. I would kill for a 4 pack of Chocolate Rain or Beaureguarde.

They sell specialty stoppers that do a pretty good job of letting you space the beer across 2-3 days, but yeah, I definitely wish they did 375s.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Oof. How'd they do that legally?

Not sure how that works in Ohio. $1 kegs?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

LeafHouse posted:

325s of Tart of Darkness would own. Or even 500mL. 750 is only good for a share of if I'm gonna spend all afternoon on a beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I haven't seen a lot of cellar raid posts, so I guess I'll kick this off. I present: 2012 Alesmith BA Speedway.

I've never had BA Speedway fresh, but all I can say is that this bottle is really delicious. Toffee, caramel, and chocolate at the forefront with the coffee as a nice undercurrent. Coffee forward this is not, but I don't miss it too much, and I'm not getting the peppery character you'd get in a lot of aged coffee beers, so the aging of the coffee absolutely does not detract. I would drink this any day over aged BCBS coffee. I'm jealous of anyone that lives close to the brewery because I would likely max allotment on every bottle sale they do.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I love the differences in beer laws around the US. In Oregon you can't even taste a beer while on duty at the bar, and meanwhile in Nebraska there was an 18-year-old bar backing at one of the tasting rooms in Lincoln.

(It was Zipline, which actually makes a really mean line of beer. I'd put them above Nebraska Brewing at least.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
I'll chime in with my cellar raid beer from last night, Central Waters Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale from 2013:

I'm generally a sucker for barrel-aged barleywines, but for a non-barrel offering this one was really nice. Unfortunately I haven't had it fresh, so can't directly compare, but I really enjoyed this. Untappd has it listed as an American, but the age has definitely killed any hops it had, and I much prefer it that way.