Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sockser posted:

I found a slot machine in the womb, got a dollar out of it, popped one of the wheel of fortune cards that it spawned, and got another dollar.

Naturally this was one of those runs where the donation machine broke at like, 4 cents.

I swear the amount of money you can shove into the donation box is inversely proportional to the amount of money you want to shove into it.

It feels like the game's programmed to to give it a 50/50 chance of clogging if you enter the room with 15 or more coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I use the donation box as an ATM if I have a bomb to spare and need a few coins.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Waffle! posted:

I use the donation box as an ATM if I have a bomb to spare and need a few coins.

Once you get all the unlocks for maxing it out that's pretty much the entire point of it I think, really nice to be able to get a couple of coins out when you know there is a nice pill there or something

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Alkydere posted:

I swear the amount of money you can shove into the donation box is inversely proportional to the amount of money you want to shove into it.

It feels like the game's programmed to to give it a 50/50 chance of clogging if you enter the room with 15 or more coins.

During the BASE MENT seed run I did which I was gaming for the Super Meat Boy unlock, the donation machine refused to break until I'd stuck like not even joking somewhere within the ballpark of 120 coins into it.

I have no idea what determines how likely the donation machine is to break but whatever it is it sure smiled on me with that.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Scorps posted:

Once you get all the unlocks for maxing it out that's pretty much the entire point of it I think, really nice to be able to get a couple of coins out when you know there is a nice pill there or something

Unless you unwittingly donate the 1000th coin and the drat thing blows up and you have to start building your ATM machine from scratch.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Wugga posted:

Unless you unwittingly donate the 1000th coin and the drat thing blows up and you have to start building your ATM machine from scratch.

Yeah, I'm glad I've read about that before maxing it out.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

During the BASE MENT seed run I did which I was gaming for the Super Meat Boy unlock, the donation machine refused to break until I'd stuck like not even joking somewhere within the ballpark of 120 coins into it.

I have no idea what determines how likely the donation machine is to break but whatever it is it sure smiled on me with that.

Can you get unlocks (and have donations stick) when using a seed?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ZShakespeare posted:

Can you get unlocks (and have donations stick) when using a seed?

There were a bugs/exploits that let you do exactly that.

The ability to use seeds on challenges was patched out yesterday, the ability to use seeds on normal runs and get unlocks was patched out last night.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I just obtained a hella weird (and powerful) sombo.

Ludivico + fetus in a jar + tammy's head. Every room i summon 8 mind controlled bombs.

edit:

something fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 12, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Has anyone figured out yet what the "Limit Halo of Flies count to 10" fix actually changes? As far as I can tell the blue flies and orbitals still behave exactly like before.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Has anyone figured out yet what the "Limit Halo of Flies count to 10" fix actually changes? As far as I can tell the blue flies and orbitals still behave exactly like before.

I think it was nerfing the purple fly enemies in the basement/cellar. Apparently you could get an edge case where you'd get an absurd number spawning.

Also, I just found my new favorite item + boss combination. If you've got the gnawed leaf and go statue on Mega Fatty, his suction attack before he pukes everywhere will make you push him all over the boss room.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Waffle! posted:

I ran mine all the way back down to zero doing this. :saddowns:

But a few runs in and I've got it back up to where it can resume ATM duty. It's just too bad you can't use it in seeded runs though.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Hahaha, according to dataminers, Experimental Treatment isn't actually "All Stats Up, Then Shuffled". It's "Random Change To All Stats Which Is Equally Likely To Be Positive Or Negative".

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Hahaha, according to dataminers, Experimental Treatment isn't actually "All Stats Up, Then Shuffled". It's "Random Change To All Stats Which Is Equally Likely To Be Positive Or Negative".

I figured as much. It rarely seems to be worth picking up. I wonder how they ended up with such a disparity between description and function.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jibo posted:

I figured as much. It rarely seems to be worth picking up. I wonder how they ended up with such a disparity between description and function.

Remember how the original Isaac was, with a fair few item descriptions that said an item did something it didn't? Be goddamn thankful.

But also Nicalis should fix dumb poo poo like that. Don't lie to players about what an item actually does, devs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Speaking of datamining, how did the devs expect people to find about the Lost without it?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Speaking of datamining, how did the devs expect people to find about the Lost without it?

There was an actual way of finding it, and people actually knew how to get to it, it just required a few more days to get all the pieces together. Instead, people datamined it because "gently caress that" or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Surprisingly, people basically managed to find it the legit way. When you die in a sacrifice room with the missing poster, a part of your post-death summary will be covered with a jigsaw shaped chunk of a different post-death summary. Put the pieces together and you'll get a death-summary which shows you a method that you're meant to die in. There are four different screens to see in total.

Migishu posted:

There was an actual way of finding it, and people actually knew how to get to it, it just required a few more days to get all the pieces together. Instead, people datamined it because "gently caress that" or something.

Ehh. The legit way was basically a whole bunch of busywork that didn't demand much in the way of skill or strategy or thinking. It just involved getting the poster and dying in the sacrifice room and taking a screenshot, basically. Again and again and again. I don't blame people for just datamining it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So uh did Lost Contact always prevent Mysterious Liquid from spewing toxic?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurtofan posted:

When you die with the Missing Page trinket in your hand or the devil room item in your stock, a puzzle piece appears on the "I leave everything I own to Guppy" page when you die depending on where you died and to what. The actual ARG part was to take the puzzle pieces and arrange them into presumably what would end up spelling out how to unlock The Lost.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

So uh did Lost Contact always prevent Mysterious Liquid from spewing toxic?

Mysterious Liquid is the coolest looking item with the weakest effect. I looove how it looks, especially in Curse of Darkness levels, but the toxic pools it leaves behind last for half a second and are only good against large slow moving non-flying enemies with multiple segments. So basically just Larry Jr.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anyone know a good seed for getting meat boy/monster girl with the manuel

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Apparently there's no unlock for beating the chest with Judas. I feel a bit cheated, that was a fantastic run too. :(

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently there's no unlock for beating the chest with Judas. I feel a bit cheated, that was a fantastic run too. :(

It's the Left Hand but you probably already unlocked it by beating Ultra Pride.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Do Bloody Lust and Holy Shield work together? Or does Bloody Lust require that you actually take damage to get a damage boost?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

jerkstoresup posted:

Do Bloody Lust and Holy Shield work together? Or does Bloody Lust require that you actually take damage to get a damage boost?

Do you mean the Holy Mantle or the Trinity Shield? Either way the answer for both is no, you need to actually be hit once for the damage boosts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Found another potentially infinite health combo. If you pick up Midas Touch with the blood penny, you can run into any random mook to freeze them, and if you kill them in this state they'll drop coins. The coins then give you heart drops since you have the blood penny, and you can get back the health you lost. Obviously it doesn't work ALL the time because the heart-to-coin ratio for the blood penny isn't 1:1, but it does make suicide charges with Mom's Knife viable. :v:

edit: Picked up the Gamekid. NOW I can live forever. Since you have to run into enemies to kill them with the Gamekid active, they always drop coins with Midas Touch, and since you don't take damage while using the Gamekid you can get a free health refill whenever you want it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 12, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do Eden's starting items count? Because I had a run where I started with the D100. Do items you reroll into count for your collection? Got SMB Super Fan at one point.

D100 seems like a pretty fine way of getting Lord of the Flies, because I sure as hell haven't seen that many fly items. Certainly not multiples per run. Wonder if I could reroll into a full Meat Boy/Bandage Girl...

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I was having a decent run with triple shot and ipecac and thought I had a good shot at finally killing Mega Satan. That was until I picked up Monstro's Lung in womb 1 and removed all doubt. That combo is so ridiculously good; was having no problems killing all the remaining standard bosses with just one charge.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have everything unlocked, and the only thing I need to do for Real Platinum God is pick up Skeleton Key and Missing No. The latter has appeared three times on my Vita playthrough, but never on the PC version. Just for the hell of it while I was listening to the Serial podcast and catching up on some shows, I held down R and kept bombing the walls to find secret rooms. None of them ever had an item in them - maybe that's not possible to find on the first floor? If there was an item room nearby I'd go in to try to find X-Ray Vision, The Mind, or Spelunker Hat, but the one time any of those showed up I had the most insane no-damage run that got too frustrating to play. 145 hours and still haven't seen every item yet!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Re: the donation machine, I instantly bombed like 5 coins out of it as soon as it hit 999, I was paranoid about blowing it. I used it really liberally on Lost runs and when I was trying to D6/Monster Manual bandage girl/meat boy and I've been holding at around 750ish coins.

The best donation machine withdrawals are when you have something like Ipecac/Cricket's Body and can cluster smash like 30 coins out in one shot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ChibiSoma posted:

Do Eden's starting items count? Because I had a run where I started with the D100. Do items you reroll into count for your collection? Got SMB Super Fan at one point.

D100 seems like a pretty fine way of getting Lord of the Flies, because I sure as hell haven't seen that many fly items. Certainly not multiples per run. Wonder if I could reroll into a full Meat Boy/Bandage Girl...

Rerolled items do count as being added to the collection yes, as long as you pick them up or have them in your inventory. If you reroll an item, and then reroll it again without picking it up, it doesn't count. Similarly, items you get from your inventory being randomized (dice rooms, Missing No, etc) do count and you can become Guppy/Lord of the Flies that way.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BJPaskoff posted:

I have everything unlocked, and the only thing I need to do for Real Platinum God is pick up Skeleton Key and Missing No. The latter has appeared three times on my Vita playthrough, but never on the PC version. Just for the hell of it while I was listening to the Serial podcast and catching up on some shows, I held down R and kept bombing the walls to find secret rooms. None of them ever had an item in them - maybe that's not possible to find on the first floor? If there was an item room nearby I'd go in to try to find X-Ray Vision, The Mind, or Spelunker Hat, but the one time any of those showed up I had the most insane no-damage run that got too frustrating to play. 145 hours and still haven't seen every item yet!

If you're mass resetting, consider taking any Pyromaniac/Bomb item start and try and set up the infinite reroll setup I'm guessing you got Meat Boy/Bandage Girl with, then you just need one secret room with an item and you're set. I got the 1up Mushroom that way, although I really lucked out getting an item drop to reroll in a secret room in the Chest. (I actually needed to die from sharp plugging and use almost all of the hearts on my 1up-respawned self to get Pyromaniac to spawn.)

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Oh man. Gnawed Leaf + Midas Touch + Pay to Win = uproariously good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

strangemusic posted:

Oh man. Gnawed Leaf + Midas Touch + Pay to Win = uproariously good.

The only thing missing is E.Coli.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Power of Pecota posted:

If you're mass resetting, consider taking any Pyromaniac/Bomb item start and try and set up the infinite reroll setup I'm guessing you got Meat Boy/Bandage Girl with, then you just need one secret room with an item and you're set. I got the 1up Mushroom that way, although I really lucked out getting an item drop to reroll in a secret room in the Chest. (I actually needed to die from sharp plugging and use almost all of the hearts on my 1up-respawned self to get Pyromaniac to spawn.)

Does the no-achievements thing in challenges extend to items showing up? I haven't seen Black Lotus yet, and it seems like the easiest way to look for it would be to play Demo Man and bomb open the first secret room over and over.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

wocobob posted:

Does the no-achievements thing in challenges extend to items showing up? I haven't seen Black Lotus yet, and it seems like the easiest way to look for it would be to play Demo Man and bomb open the first secret room over and over.

Unfortunately it does. Best bet is probably Isaac with the D6 and hope an item shows up in the secret room.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally got lucky with an Eden run and got Bandage Girl achievement. If only that would happen with Meat Boy, but I rarely even see one meat cube.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress you, game. I died to ???.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

They can't, but there was an exploit. It was patched, but I'm still running the old version of the game.

From a while ago, but what is this exploit? I don't have enough space on my Vita to update anyway and getting Meat Boy/Bandage Girl is driving me insane.