Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My friend who had a SNES said that he had mario world and then he put in yoshi's island and I was angry and confused. After like two levels we went back to a good game: Lego Racers 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Captain Novolin posted:

My friend who had a SNES said that he had mario world and then he put in yoshi's island and I was angry and confused. After like two levels we went back to a good game: Lego Racers 2.

Was that your first encounter with technically correct, but so, so very wrong?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nEqvI_2pMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOHYmiLLGdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

I won't bother to contribute to Yoshi's Island chat because I have nothing to add that hasn't been said. It's a pretty decent game but it certainly isn't perfect. However, this is the best vid. The *GDQ Marathons are one of my favorite things. Gary and I try to get together for a night during each one for an *GDQBBQ where we eat some wings and watch people destroy games in an entertaining fashion.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NickPancakes posted:

I won't bother to contribute to Yoshi's Island chat because I have nothing to add that hasn't been said. It's a pretty decent game but it certainly isn't perfect. However, this is the best vid. The *GDQ Marathons are one of my favorite things. Gary and I try to get together for a night during each one for an *GDQBBQ where we eat some wings and watch people destroy games in an entertaining fashion.

I probably quoted it earlier in the thread, but the 4-man Super Metroid race is 45 minutes of god drat insanity. I hosted a small SDGQ party this year, and I'm sure as poo poo doing it for AGDQ 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfV8IhsHq0&t=1043s

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Until I got the internet I had no idea people liked Yoshi's Island for things other than the art and music, because that's the only good part of that game. That awful floaty jump, the egg reticule, crying baby, and it's not the game's fault but putting Mario World 2 on it was just a slap on the face.

What separates Mario 2/Majora's Mask from Yoshi's Island/Zelda II was the weird mechanics and changes were Fun, instead of Bad.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Zelda 2 ruled.

It was also the first Zelda I actually played, though, so there's that.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Yoshi's Island is great. :(

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the minigames? The transformation stages were sort of broken, but there are like 5 in the whole game. I'll concede they weren't the best parts of the game though. Also I liked the egg shooting mechanic, and thought the platforming was fine, and liked the skiing level

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

How is Yoshi's Island contentious at all? It has possibly the best art, music, gameplay and level design I can think of in any game ever. I can see not thinking it's that good, but bad? What?

Personal taste, how does it work? :iiam:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Yoshi's Island: Cute, Cuddly, Controversial.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's wrong with the music?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Until I got the internet I had no idea people liked Yoshi's Island for things other than the art and music, because that's the only good part of that game. That awful floaty jump, the egg reticule, crying baby, and it's not the game's fault but putting Mario World 2 on it was just a slap on the face.

What separates Mario 2/Majora's Mask from Yoshi's Island/Zelda II was the weird mechanics and changes were Fun, instead of Bad.

Weird how you put a good game and a bad game in the Fun category and you also put a good game and a bad game in the Bad category.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

The art style also translates super poorly into the SNES and everything looks muddy and blurry

The thick lined, crayon art style was specifically chosen to match the way the various scaling/rotation modes and the Super FX chip distort the graphics. In games with fine details and outlines, the distortion completely breaks the look that the pixel art tries to achieve. Yoshi's Island avoids this by making the sprites themselves shakey and rough looking, so the distortion of the sprites matches the look of the game. It's one of the best examples I can think of in which a developer intentionally chooses an art style to make the limitations of a system a strength.

Most people who play the game will recognise this example. Look at how smoothly the warping of the pixel art is integrated into the art style of the game, particularly the ground. If this was drawn in the Super Mario World art style with single pixel outlines, the lines would be broken and it would end up looking uglier and stand out more. You can see this happening on some of the coins in this scene.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I played Yoshi's Island as a kid, and it was hard as hell and I kind of ignored it. Since it's kind of a popular game in the speedrunning community, I've paid a little more attention to it, and it's mind blowingly impressive. The gameplay may be polarizing, but as a whole the game is technically impressive with what the engineers were able to do. It really made all of the games that did a few scenes with neat-o Mode 7 tricks look like child's play in comparison.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxrejB3OWE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Speaking of Nintendo, I've always wondered why Startropics just up and disappeared despite being two of the best NES games ever created.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Startropics disappeared because those games were designed specifically for the US market by a section of the company that rarely made software, headed up by an old-arse dude who's been around since before Gunpei Yokoi showed up and has long since been promoted out of game development.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

In case you didn't, this is pro-click poo poo right here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yoshi's Island used to be my favourite SNES game but I've cooled on it a bit in recent years. It's mostly great, but it has a lot of little things that are really annoying. Mostly I'm just pissed because you get jack poo poo for reaching 100% completion :reject:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

The long-awaited first part of the Watch Out for Fireballs! Morrowind trilogy is out. We cover the main quest this week. Next week is the main guilds (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Assassin). The week after that is the Great House quests along with the remaining organizations (Temple, Cult, Legion) and misc quests.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/88

I was really hoping for a two-man radio play version of The Lusty Argonian Maid for the intro, but I guess not all dreams come true...

EDIT: I told you not to enable Tribunal bro, I warned you about the assassins dawg (Even if you have all the expansions installed, you can and should selectively disable Tribunal until you've done the main quest at least).

Pasco fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 12, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And re: Yoshi's Island hate, Jeff Gerstmann has gone on rants about how much it sucks before. It's like the only game I can think of off the top of my head that he's been totally wrong about.

Jeff Gerstman hates fun.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Pasco posted:

I was really hoping for a two-man radio play version of The Lusty Argonian Maid for the intro, but I guess not all dreams come true...

EDIT: I told you not to enable Tribunal bro, I warned you about the assassins dawg (Even if you have all the expansions installed, you can and should selectively disable Tribunal until you've done the main quest at least).

I didn't know that you could disable it but that's my fault, for sure. I should have heeded the warning.

Also, we recorded the first two episodes of the trilogy at once...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hakkesshu posted:

Yoshi's Island used to be my favourite SNES game but I've cooled on it a bit in recent years. It's mostly great, but it has a lot of little things that are really annoying. Mostly I'm just pissed because you get jack poo poo for reaching 100% completion :reject:

Back in my day, your reward for 100% completion was the knowledge of a job well done

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Al! posted:

Speaking of Nintendo, I've always wondered why Startropics just up and disappeared despite being two of the best NES games ever created.

I'm just gonna put Startropics on my list of "games I'd love to see WOFF do", along with Legend of Gaia, Nier, and Okami.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Back in my day, your reward for 100% completion was the knowledge of a job well done

Yoshi's Island never told me I AM A SUPER PLAYER :mad:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If Yoshi's Island was the rumored reaction of a frustrated Miyamoto to Donkey Kong Country then it takes a far more interesting light. Where DKC is spartan in its design, narrow in focus, and hard as gently caress Yoshi's Island is really meandering with some massive levels that go in all directions and has practically no challenge outside of the secret worlds.

It's a decent enough game. Now Kirby Super Star, that's the real platforming genius. It's fun to compare Kirby and Yoshi because Nintendo typically develops a prototype first then sticks a character that would fit into the game. Yoshi and Kirby are the de facto fall back guys but Kirby games are really unique and aesthetically strong while Nintendo has been trying to recapture Yoshi's Island for almost 20 years.

Captain Invictus posted:

Some developers knew what was up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fPSTJGe-3o

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Kirby is kind of interesting since Superstar isn't necessarily difficult, but it's basically a platformer for kids who aren't ready to deal with the mechanics of a Mario game.

I think outside of 3D Land, Nintendo is still pulling no tangible prize for 100%ing a game. Never change. :allears:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm just gonna put Startropics on my list of "games I'd love to see WOFF do",
Yesssssss! Also Solar Jetman.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I'm not a big fan of Polygon, but I am a big fan of MBMBAM, and the episodes of quality control where it's specifically Justin and Griffin are absolutely worth listening to.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Yesssssss! Also Solar Jetman.

We've already covered that for Abject Suffering. We dig it. http://duckfeed.tv/asp/62

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

al-azad posted:

Yoshi's Island ... practically no challenge outside of the secret worlds.

This is where some of the opinion disconnect comes from, I think. I played Yoshi's Island for the first time as an adult, and found it to be incredibly difficult. And... like... maybe I'm just an old man baby, but I 100%ed Super Mario World, I can regularly beat Spelunky, I beat a ton of punishing NES platformers as a kid -- this is the kind of game I'm normally able to get good at. But after I died like fifty times on a fairly straightforward platforming challenge in the first castle, I just wasn't having fun because it was too hard and I was making zero progress.

Granted, I only gave it a couple of hours, but maybe none of the charming things about it are charming to me because I'm too busy being angry that I missed a goddamned platform again because of the stupid floaty jump, or jumping into a pit on purpose because that stupid goddamned obnoxious baby is making his annoying goddamned panicky baby noises just outside of reach of my stupid floaty jump. Jesus, I'm getting pissed off and stressed out now just remembering that baby.

It's just weird. Sometimes on forums I see people say "Yoshi's Island is hard," and there's a big chorus of "No it's not!" I wonder if there's some particular execution blind spot that some platformer players have. Come to think of it, I often avoided getting the Yoshis in SMW because I found them so clunky to control. Maybe that's why I don't have the muscle memory for this.

Oh also I really don't like the way it looks. I can admit that this is probably because my overall aesthetic sense is underdeveloped, and maybe red-green deficiency has something to do with it, but when I look at a screen of that game, I absolutely cannot distinguish between foreground and background objects. I can't stand the chunky weird inconsistently-sized pixels. It doesn't read as intentional to me, it just looks like a lovely 90s digitization. It is ugly to me in the same way that Hotline Miami is ugly, but HM is that way on purpose.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

weird bleep posted:

The thick lined, crayon art style was specifically chosen to match the way the various scaling/rotation modes and the Super FX chip distort the graphics...

This post is cool and makes all kinds of sense. I don't know anything about Yoshi's Island (never played it), but that's a cool intersection of art and goofy tech.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

We've already covered that for Abject Suffering. We dig it. http://duckfeed.tv/asp/62
Awesome thanks for letting me know, I'll consider it my birthday present to find out about and listen to this episode, today. :toot:

I've wondered for years why nobody has taken the idea of Solar Jetman and put it onto other p[latforms, seems like it could be a great device for smart phones.

edit: poor David Bowie and Elton John's penises. :smith:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 12, 2014

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

weird bleep posted:

The thick lined, crayon art style was specifically chosen to match the way the various scaling/rotation modes and the Super FX chip distort the graphics. In games with fine details and outlines, the distortion completely breaks the look that the pixel art tries to achieve. Yoshi's Island avoids this by making the sprites themselves shakey and rough looking, so the distortion of the sprites matches the look of the game. It's one of the best examples I can think of in which a developer intentionally chooses an art style to make the limitations of a system a strength.

Most people who play the game will recognise this example. Look at how smoothly the warping of the pixel art is integrated into the art style of the game, particularly the ground. If this was drawn in the Super Mario World art style with single pixel outlines, the lines would be broken and it would end up looking uglier and stand out more. You can see this happening on some of the coins in this scene.

Jesus Christ that's ugly as gently caress compared to Super Mario World. Glad I moved onto PC gaming in 1993 to play Doom and Sim City 2000 so I didn't have to deal with that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is this thread some kind of government experiment to produce the most wrong opinions?

zapjackson posted:

Oh also I really don't like the way it looks. I can admit that this is probably because my overall aesthetic sense is underdeveloped, and maybe red-green deficiency has something to do with it, but when I look at a screen of that game, I absolutely cannot distinguish between foreground and background objects. I can't stand the chunky weird inconsistently-sized pixels. It doesn't read as intentional to me, it just looks like a lovely 90s digitization. It is ugly to me in the same way that Hotline Miami is ugly, but HM is that way on purpose.

What do you think looks good? HD realism? Most praise of Hotline Miami specifically cites the aesthetics

I think the basic problem is that it's a very different game from Super Mario 3, which makes some people Angry

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 12, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Part of the problem is the SNES' limited resolution. Some of the levels have a ton going on but you don't have the spatial awareness to take it in all at once. I can't say I ever had trouble with the platforming because Yoshi's little air flutter gives you a lot of leeway, but some of the later levels have horrendous timed vehicle sections or you're navigating a maze while constantly needing to backtrack. All of the castles and many of the later levels loop on themselves so part of the game is navigating and mentally mapping these huge areas while also reacting to all the hazards coming at you.

Has WOFF done Mischief Makers? That's a game every 2D platform fan should play. Practically every level is different or has some kind of gimmick unique only to that level beyond just running right. They all work in bite sized chunks but there's plenty of secrets hidden within. It sounds terrible on paper but Treasure makes it work. There's no other game like it. SHAKE SHAKE

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Man that was kind of a letdown. You literally spent more time talking about 20 year-old gamefaq articles written by 13 year-old kids, and running over the annoying attention-whore hipsters, than you did talking about the game.

From that episode I found out that: you didn't get past level 2, and that you hate Rare..? Is that about right?

You do know you can upgrade the shuttle and it's not a one-shot death after the first level or two, right? :smith:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

coyo7e posted:

From that episode I found out that: you didn't get past level 2, and that you hate Rare..? Is that about right?

I shouldn't have assumed that you knew what the show was about. People recommend supposedly bad games that we play for 30 minutes, and the games serve as a springboard for conversation that may or may not be related to the game itself.

Further Clarification: We are into Solar Jetman. It just suffers from some of the usual NES inscrutability problems. Sometimes Abject Suffering serves as a way for us to discover really neat games we otherwise wouldn't have paid attention to because they flew under the radar.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 12, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Abject Suffering is more of a comedy show that uses the (normally) bad game as a starting point for riffin'. They only commit to playing each game for like a half hour so you aren't going to get a woff style deep dive over there. Maybe you were just expecting something else?

edit: yeah what ^ he said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FWIW, the comedy also escaped me on Solar Jetman, and I was wondering why these otherwise fine fellows were dogpiling on a pretty good game. I'm not saying, "change your format," or "apologize to the nice video game," just that I just tuned into Abject Suffering out of the blue and was kind of put off since I wasn't in on the joke.

Flashback time: I read about Solar Jetman for the first time in an article in Nintendo Power entitled "Unsung Heroes of the NES." It was the first mag article I ever read that sort of championed old games that never got the attention they deserved.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 12, 2014

• Locked thread