Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Korra was actually the smartest person in the entire episode who had plans and foresight and didn't let her temper get the better of her. Character growth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Korra's going to invent energybending and reflect the pulse laser right back at Kuvira's giant mech.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

DrSunshine posted:

Korra's going to invent energybending and reflect the pulse laser right back at Kuvira's giant mech.

To be fair, Raava should have some way to do this.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
So I guess we're never gonna get to see Iroh do anything more useful than blow up a couple of airplanes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Iroh II is dumb and I don't want to see very much of him.

Good episode. That...wasn't quite what I meant when I talked about the relationship humanizing Kuvira. But at least she was visibly hurt by what she did.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I think that everyone involved in interrogating Bataar Jr is a total pussy. I woulda jammed a knife in one of his arteries and been all "if you want Korra to fix it you better tell us how to kill that thing bitch"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hauldren Collider posted:

I think that everyone involved in interrogating Bataar Jr is a total pussy. I woulda jammed a knife in one of his arteries and been all "if you want Korra to fix it you better tell us how to kill that thing bitch"

Not sure if seriouspost.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

And then he would have bled out through his own stubbornness and devotion to Kuvira, so Su would have a dead son AND they wouldn't have a way to disable the mech. Nobody was going to kill Junior, and there was no way he was going to betray Kuvira (until the next episode where the realization that she's out of her mind causes him to join the group and help take her down).

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Hopefully the revelation that Kuvira would, without warning, kill her own fiance just to control a city will convince Bataar Jr that she needs to be stopped.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm too jaded, the first thing I thought when I saw Bataar & Kuvira's scene in the beginning was: "Oh hey, they finally wrote them having a moment. I guess that means one's betraying the other this episode."

Also because I am a huge nerd the first thing I thought when I saw Kuvira controlling the metal gear via bending was that Bryke must have watched G Gundam.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 12, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Who was that guy who didn't want to see a giant mecha battle?

That thing is really big, like, so big it's funny looking.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
The mech is stupid. They should have just put it on a ship. You know, the thing people normally do when they have to move something really big really far.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DrSunshine posted:

No she's going to get a katana made of pure... platinum holy poo poo it all makes sense :stare:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This whole time I assumed they where ripping off Final Fantasy 6 with the mechs and spirit technology, turns out they where ripping off Final Fantasy 4. I'm calling it now Kuvira is being controlled by the moon spirit:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Perhaps they should have just gone with some rectal feeding. That worked so well for the CIA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

This whole time I assumed they where ripping off Final Fantasy 6 with the mechs and spirit technology, turns out they where ripping off Final Fantasy 4. I'm calling it now Kuvira is being controlled by the moon spirit:

Except we know the moon spirit and they're generally a pretty chill person :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except we know the moon spirit and they're generally a pretty chill person :v:

Well, there was that time they obliterated a Fire Nation fleet...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, there was that time they obliterated a Fire Nation fleet...

That was the Ocean spirit.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Caros posted:

Perhaps they should have just gone with some rectal feeding. That worked so well for the CIA.

Hey, they're the pros. If it's good enough for them it'd be good enough for me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

everyone calling it a Metal Gear must be forgetting the anime the thread title is referencing.

Seriously that thing is pretty much an Evangelion

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Korra should have learned from Zaheer and breathbended him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Aces High posted:

everyone calling it a Metal Gear must be forgetting the anime the thread title is referencing.

Seriously that thing is pretty much an Evangelion
Evas usually don't have massive artillary beams but yeah the design of that mech is Eva as hell.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So Kuvira's a MechWarrior now.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

meristem posted:

But at the same time it's not a good feeling how the extremely original and colourful world of ATLA - hell, even of the first seasons of Korra - converged to the drab greyness/brown/olive and, well, a really giant mecha.

I think this captures my feelings entirely. And I usually don't get annoyed by the show as much as many people in this thread, but really, that scene with Korra telling Meelo why he was being left out was really cringey.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Korra should have learned from Zaheer and breathbended him.

Yeah, if there's one thing we need more of this week, it's American kids' shows teaching us that torture is cool and useful.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rosalind posted:

Korra was actually the smartest person in the entire episode who had plans and foresight and didn't let her temper get the better of her. Character growth!
Yeah. Which fits; Korra finally got her poo poo together just in time to stumble into an unambiguous situation that can only be resolved through the straightforward application of immense personal violence.

Go with what you know!

The mech is stupid. They should have just put it on a ship. You know, the thing people normally do when they have to move something really big really far.
Because if there's one arena that the Earth kingdom can go to to really play up it's strengths, it's the ocean!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why would they need to find a weakness can't Korra just turn into the Avatar State and metalbend the thing in half? It's big but it's not bigger than anything else an Avatar has thrown around.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
As much as I generally love giant robots, I gotta say I'm a little depressed that the big finale of Korra is going to be Korra and friends vs. a silly giant robot.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Hopefully the revelation that Kuvira would, without warning, kill her own fiance just to control a city will convince Bataar Jr that she needs to be stopped.

I think it's a little amusing that Junior didn't see that coming. He's met her before, right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Nat posted:

As much as I generally love giant robots, I gotta say I'm a little depressed that the big finale of Korra is going to be Korra and friends vs. a silly giant robot.

Varrick will reveal that the experimental robot suits he was working on have a special combination form, turning them into just the giant robot they need to fight Kuviras metal monstrosity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Why would they need to find a weakness can't Korra just turn into the Avatar State and metalbend the thing in half? It's big but it's not bigger than anything else an Avatar has thrown around.

Spirit ammo then goes boom and levels Republic City? I can see why you might want to be a little bit careful with the Colossus.

As for the 'it looks like an Evangelion except for the gun' people, are you forgetting the drains-the-whole-of-Japan's-power-supply-to-fire-a-single-shot positron rifle?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Go with what you know!
Because if there's one arena that the Earth kingdom can go to to really play up it's strengths, it's the ocean!

Better than having a big loving stupid-looking walking thing. I know it's a show with magic martial arts but i couldn't stop giggling when I saw that. It's just so stupid.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
OK - bets on how the Colossus will be taken down?

So far the solutions proposed have included:
1. cord to the legs (the AT-AT solution)
2. energybending and reflect the pulse laser right back
3. pure-platinum katana
4. turn into the Avatar State and metalbend the thing in half
5. experimental robot suits [which] have a special combination form, turning them into [a] giant robot to fight Kuviras metal monstrosity

I say, there should be a spirit-world solution as well.

6. Energybend the thing into the Spirit World, where, deus ex machina, the main gun is useless?

e: I think, upthread, someone also mentioned
7. Metalbend the Aang statue in the harbour to act as counter-mecha?

meristem fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 12, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing we need more of this week, it's American kids' shows teaching us that torture is cool and useful.

Yes. Because that's exactly what it is. Cool and useful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

There's still 3 episodes left; I wouldn't bet on the colossus surviving past the next episode.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's still 3 episodes left; I wouldn't bet on the colossus surviving past the next episode.

Still two episodes left. Though I agree the colossus is probably going to bite it in the first half of the finale next week.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
I think the only real answer is Korra metalbending the Aang statue out of the ocean, putting it into the mecha-avatar state and going apeshit

Or did they already get it back up, don't remember seeing it since Battle of the Giants

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Unrelated, but I was just thinking about this: can Bolin bend/create glass? I mean, we know earthbenders can bend sand, and we know he can turn ordinary earth into lava. Sand + intense heat = glass, so that should be something he's capable of. Maybe he can't do it as long as he doesn't make the mental connection between the two. Or maybe he can and it's an entirely useless skill that has had no reason to be mentioned or utilized in the course of this season.

Anyway, I understand that giant mechs are cool and all, but I was really hoping we'd get to see that giant cannon get rolled out on some kind of mega tank or something; in particular, I sort of wanted it to be a bit of a liability that needed to be protected, rather than the unquestioned most capable piece of hardware in Kuvira's arsenal. Mobile fortress w/ gun is more interesting than giant metal man, or at least it is to me. Though, I suppose you do want as much height as you can get with a weapon like that, and it's not like she could have built one onto a zeppelin.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

conrack posted:

I think the only real answer is Korra metalbending the Aang statue out of the ocean, putting it into the mecha-avatar state and going apeshit

Or did they already get it back up, don't remember seeing it since Battle of the Giants

I hope this happens, then we get an Avatar State beatdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

Unrelated, but I was just thinking about this: can Bolin bend/create glass? I mean, we know earthbenders can bend sand, and we know he can turn ordinary earth into lava. Sand + intense heat = glass, so that should be something he's capable of. Maybe he can't do it as long as he doesn't make the mental connection between the two. Or maybe he can and it's an entirely useless skill that has had no reason to be mentioned or utilized in the course of this season.

Anyway, I understand that giant mechs are cool and all, but I was really hoping we'd get to see that giant cannon get rolled out on some kind of mega tank or something; in particular, I sort of wanted it to be a bit of a liability that needed to be protected, rather than the unquestioned most capable piece of hardware in Kuvira's arsenal. Mobile fortress w/ gun is more interesting than giant metal man, or at least it is to me. Though, I suppose you do want as much height as you can get with a weapon like that, and it's not like she could have built one onto a zeppelin.

I agree, absolutely, which is why I seriously think it should have involved a ship. Yes, it puts them at a greater disadvantage, but that's interesting. We get a naval battle. I would have had some sort of subplot where they get the swamp dudes to abandon trying to evict Kuvira from the swamp (something they have not shown but I think probably should have shown), join forces, and take down her navy in karmic swamp vine retribution.

• Locked thread