Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh, speaking of, apparently Goodkind ripped off having his cover artist die before the series ended from Wheel of Time, too.

quote:

Cover artist Keith Parkinson died before Confessor was published, but had created art for all the books in the saga beforehand. Author Terry Goodkind had the following to say: "When Keith and I were working on cover concepts for Chainfire he came up with a number of color roughs that, because of their simple, iconic nature were very close to being final. At the time I recognized three of these roughs as perfect for the Chainfire Trilogy. That means that the final book of the series had already been done by him before he passed away so that is the cover that will appear on the book."

At least Darrell Sweet made an effort before he died. The unused, unfinished cover for Memory of Light:

The accepted-by-all-living-parties covers that went out on Terry Goodkind's magnum opus, which were "perfect for the trilogy":

Like, I am not even poo poo-talking the dead guy here, I'm actually offended that Goodkind went "Yeah, that's how we want this dude's name to go down, PRINT THOSE FUCKERS" You can totally tell someone changed poo poo around after the embarassment that was Chainfire's cover.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
DDP - thank you so much for this thread, it's bringing hours of enjoyment.

Also:

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

.. He is action villain style through and through. This is some Raul Julia as M. Bison cheese right here.

I ALWAYS pictured Donkey Rahl as M. Bison, down to the style of dress, silly hat and everything. Perfect description.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

and watches them perform a ceremony in which a beast called (no joke) a "namble" rapes Subtractive magic into a new SotD with the aid of the quillion.

Oh no. No, you don't get to gloss over that. You quote that entire section, with commentary. :colbert:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Because he thinks fantasy is stupid and you are stupid for reading it.

Author's first rule, ladies and gents.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hey, pssst, over here...

*whispers in ear* Nynaeve tugged her braid... :iamafag:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Okay, now I really am tempted to read the WoT series again

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

I could describe this scene for you, or I could just save us all some time. Let's do that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8oqIXtjdo

The best part is when this very same scene occurs later, but its Richard who is doing it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It just occurred to me that when Dick Hider first crosses the veil into the Midlands he is tormented by the soul of his father, George Cypher. Then in this book when he goes to summon the soul of his father (thinking of old George), he instead gets Darken Rahl, his real dad.

These books just make no sense...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
The only really skeevy part in Wheel of Time in terms of sex is how Rand ends up basically in a love....square I guess... with three woman, and their reaction is to go hivemind sister-wives full speed ahead.

On the other hand, he is basically battlemage-Jesus so I guess that's just their sort of thing.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 12, 2014

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Clanpot Shake posted:

It just occurred to me that when Dick Hider first crosses the veil into the Midlands he is tormented by the soul of his father, George Cypher. Then in this book when he goes to summon the soul of his father (thinking of old George), he instead gets Darken Rahl, his real dad.

These books just make no sense...

Tormented by a *vision* of his dad. Not the soul of George.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man you can't skip that scene with the Sisters of the Dark and Margaret considering nothing in this book matters at all you can at least commentary the juicy gross murdery parts! Otherwise what's the point, really?

Seriously that's really the driving theme of this book much like last book was people doing dumb poo poo/baby's first objectivism while Rahl chewed scenery like a motherfucker.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Speaking of Star Wars

How much you wanna bet Goodkind initially typed the quote verbatim from The Empire Strikes Back and then changed it slightly when his editor noticed?

What I find more amusing is the way it is presented. That line from Empire is filled with confusion, fear, revalation etc. The way it is written here I can't help but imagine Richard smugly stating it in a flat tone, almost like he is bored of the idea. If you've ever heard Ayn Rand speak, that is the exact tone I imagine this being said in, just bored and tired.

Its also worth pointing out that rape fantasy of the Sword of Truth variety is also a big factor in Ayn Rand's work. Ayn Rand, by all accounts I've read, was a huge rape fetishist, which really makes sense when you consider that her philosophy was all about big powerful ubermench (usually men) taking control of everything in the world around them and doing whatever they wanted. Most famously, Ayn Rand had a huge crush on William Edward Hickman, a 1920's serial killer who was most well known for his murder and mutilation of a twelve year old girl. Here are some of her quotes about Hickman:

quote:

"Other people have no right, no hold, no interest or influence on him. And this is not affected or chosen -- it's inborn, absolute, it can't be changed, he has 'no organ' to be otherwise. In this respect, he has the true, innate psychology of a Superman. He can never realize and feel'other people.' "

quote:

"He shows how impossible it is for a genuinely beautiful soul to succeed at present, for in all [aspects of] modern life, one has to be a hypocrite, to bend and tolerate. This boy wanted to command and smash away things and people he didn't approve of."

quote:

"The first thing that impresses me about the case is the ferocious rage of a whole society against one man. No matter what the man did, there is always something loathsome in the 'virtuous' indignation and mass-hatred of the 'majority.'... It is repulsive to see all these beings with worse sins and crimes in their own lives, virtuously condemning a criminal...

quote:

"This is not just the case of a terrible crime. It is not the crime alone that has raised the fury of public hatred. It is the case of a daring challenge to society. It is the fact that a crime has been committed by one man, alone; that this man knew it was against all laws of humanity and intended that way; that he does not want to recognize it as a crime and that he feels superior to all. It is the amazing picture of a man with no regard whatever for all that society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. A man who really stands alone, in action and in soul."

Just to remind you, the guy she is talking about is a serial killer. To Ayn Rand his ability to do what he wants without regard to what other people think is a virtue, that is to say, sociopathy is a virtue in her eyes. Now she does go on to say that she finds the particular of his 'revolt' against society to be distasteful, but that she still admires the core of a man who dares to challenge the mob. For anyone who is interested, I've got some further reading on the subject.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my question btw, I'll try the first book and go from there. :)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chaltab posted:

Speaking of Star Wars

How much you wanna bet Goodkind initially typed the quote verbatim from The Empire Strikes Back and then changed it slightly when his editor noticed?
hang on a second. Do you honestly believe that this novel, which features a pastoral youth saving a princess dressed in white and joined by a grandfatherly mentor who gifts him a glowing sword so that he can defeat an evil empire ruled by a dark wizard who turns out to be his father...

...might steal something from Star Wars?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Also I highly support "read Eye of the World and go from there", but you should know that there is definitely a middle point where the series is sloggy, which coincided with Jordan's declining health and death. (The books were finished by a hand-picked second author, and his contributions really make the finale shine, he's great.)

Brian Brandon Sanderson is some good poo poo, and I can echo everyone else in saying he was the best choice of the field for Jordan to choose. He's a very good author in his own right, as well. If you want world building, consistent magical systems, and exhaustive plotting, Sanderson is your man. It probably won't surprise you to learn he's a creative writing professor at Brigham Young University. His writing podcast, Writing Excuses, is a must listen for anyone interested in writing as a craft.

His one downside is that his fight scenes read like someone who's never been in a fight before, and is only describing what he's seen on TV, as opposed to Vietnam veteran Robert Jordan, or WWI Veteran JRR Tolkien, or even fencer Michael Moorcock, but he's hardly the only fantasy writer that accusation could be laid on *cough Goodkind cough*, and really, it only stands out when in direct comparison, as he's literally finishing another person's work.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh, Sanderson sure has his faults. His earlier works in particular are infamous for the "Sanderson Avalanche", where every single plot point in the work come crashing together and get resolved in the last 5% of the book. It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, the last few chapters tend to go by way too fast and it leaves a dearth of resolved plot points earlier in the work. On the other hand, he does do a good job of actually resolving pretty much everything. I'm a real sucker for mystery fiction, so for me it actually works out well. I love when a good mystery gets a satisfying reveal at the end that blows it wide open.

Anyway, it probably helped him with making sense of the brobdingnagian mess of unresolved subplots Wheel of Time had going when he took over, and I'm actually kind of surprised he managed to put and end to as many of them as he did. (Though it still bothers me that some of them, such as the identity of the reborn Gaidal Cain, never really got an answer in any of the books even though Sanderson claims he knows what the answer Jordan intended is.)

His fight scenes feel like Hollywood action movie fight scenes, which really doesn't work in written form. They're too long, too wordy, and spend too much time describing how people are randomly scrambling around hacking at each other.

(It's Brandon, by the way, not Brian.)

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2014

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Book 10 of the Wheel of Time, The Crossroads of Twilight was just the worst. It was supposed to be about people making big decisions or something like that, but ended up being a book about people just sitting around getting nothing accomplished, then at the very end of the book deciding, you know what, I should go do something... in the next book.

Luckily it was literally all uphill from there as each book after it was better than the last.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh, Sanderson sure has his faults.

Oh, totally. I didn't mean to imply he was James Joyce or anything, but the list of "Fantasy authors good enough to make sense of my massive volume of exhaustive notes without turning them into weirdo head canon fanfiction or making a mess of all the carefully spinning plates, and actually willing to take on the task" is a pretty specific list. And craft wise, the guy knows his stuff.

As much as I'd of loved to see the last three Wheel of Time books by, like, Jacqueline Carey or Michael Moorcock or someone like that, no way in hell was that happening.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Dr.Magnificent posted:

The best part is when this very same scene occurs later, but its Richard who is doing it.

God loving damnit I had that same link pasted into a future update and you just killed the joke.

TheCenturion posted:

Oh no. No, you don't get to gloss over that. You quote that entire section, with commentary. :colbert:

This is absolutely not happening. I will cherry-pick at most since a few of you are asking, but I'm sticking hard and fast to my "I will not transcribe full rape scenes" rule.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Spoilers Below posted:

His one downside is that his fight scenes read like someone who's never been in a fight before, and is only describing what he's seen on TV, as opposed to Vietnam veteran Robert Jordan, or WWI Veteran JRR Tolkien, or even fencer Michael Moorcock, but he's hardly the only fantasy writer that accusation could be laid on *cough Goodkind cough*, and really, it only stands out when in direct comparison, as he's literally finishing another person's work.
It also reads better in his more recent works - partly from general improvement in his writing, and partly because he's no longer trying to make them realistic at all and is clearly doing action movie/wuxia fight scenes on purpose.

Sanderson's own monstrous fantasy doorstopper series - Stormlight Chronicles - is worth checking out if you're already in the market for that kind of thing. There's some really interesting world building going on there, though there's a shared universe thing going on with his other works I don't personally care for.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Speaking of that series, 200 pages into Way of Kings, Shallan has finally convinced Jasnah to take her as a ward, Kal has gotten back some of his will to live and is taking charge of the bridge crew, and King Elhokar is just about to get ambushed by an unexpected chasmfiend.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Spoilers Below posted:

As much as I'd of loved to see the last three Wheel of Time books by, like, Jacqueline Carey

And people thought the spanking in WoT was gratuitous as it was. :laugh:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Fun fact, for those keeping track of WoT/SoT comparisons: the appropriate between-worlds translation for "Darkfriend" is "Baneling".

quote:

"You know of the banelings, yes?”

Zedd tore off a piece of bread. “Yes. Ones turned to the Keeper. Sworn to him. They hide in the light, as well as the shadows, serving his wishes, working to his ends. They can be anyone. Some work for good for years, hiding, waiting to be called. But when they are called, they do the Keeper’s bidding. They are also called by different names, but they are all agents of the Keeper. Some books call them that: agents. Some are important people, like Darken Rahl, used for important tasks. Some are everyday people, used for dirty little deeds. Those with the gift, like Darken Rahl, are the most difficult for the Keeper to turn. Those without it are easier, but even they are rare.”

Adie’s eyes widened. “Darken Rahl be a baneling?”

Zedd lifted an eyebrow as he nodded. “Admitted it to me himself. He said he was an agent, but it’s the same thing, whatever the word, and I’ve heard any number. They all serve the Keeper.”

“This be dangerous news.”

Zedd sopped up some stew with the piece of bread. “I bring very little of any other kind. You were saying about your grandmother Lindel?”

Please note that AN ENTIRE ORDER OF MAGIC-USERS contradicts Zedd's statement.

quote:

“On our way back, we had to walk past the Choora mill, just outside of town. I thought it strange no one be there. Someone always be at the mill.” Adie closed her eyes for a moment and then took another sip of tea. “As it turned out, there be people there. The Blood of the Fold. They be waiting for us.”

Zedd knew of them. In the larger cities of Nicobarese, the Blood of the Fold were an organized corps of men who hunted banelings; rooted out evil, as they saw it. In other lands, there were men like them, who went by other names, but they were the same. None were especially picky about proof. A corpse was the only proof they need show of their job well done. If they said the body was that of a baneling, then it was. In the smaller towns, the Blood were usually selfappointed toughs and thugs. The Blood of the Fold were widely feared. With good reason.

Similarly: WoT's Children of the Light + Bigger Assholes = Blood of the Fold. (Guess what the next book is named!!)

The Blood capture Adie and her new husband, torture them both, and eventually convince the husband that Adie outed him as a baneling before slitting his throat. He refuses to poo poo on her despite this, but he does go to his grave in front of her disappointed, breaking her heart.

In retaliation, Adie slaughters every one of them to the man, cursing their commander to have to visit her every new moon or suffer ENDLESS NIGHTMARES (man magicians use that one a lot, it must be a cantrip). When he does, she slices off a part of him. Zedd apparently saw him once without knowing, a blind man missing most of his fingers at the time.

THIS WAS ALL PART OF THE KEEPER'S PLAN.

quote:

Adie sighed. “One day, a thought occurred to me: I had never used the gift to prevent Mathrin from killing himself. Why would he still come to me? Let me make him to suffer like I did? Why would he not simply end it? So, the next time he came, and I cut something else off, I also cut the bond. Cut his need to come the next time. But I did it in a way so as he would not notice, so he could simply forget about me, if he wished.”

“So that was the last you saw of him?”

She gave a grim shake of her head. “No. I thought it would be, but he returned with the next new moon. Returned when he needn’t have. It made my blood run cold, to wonder why. I decided that it be time for him to pay with his life for what he had done to me, and Pell, and all the others. But I resolved that before he gave me his life, he would give me the answer.”

“In my travels, I had learned many things. Things for which I thought I would never have use. That night I found use. I used them to learn what torture Mathrin feared above all others. The trick be used to learn fears, but be useless to learn other secrets. Against his will, the words tumbled out of him, his fears spilled out.”

“I left him to sweat all that night and the whole next day while I went in search of the things I needed: the things he feared above all else. When I finally returned with them, he be nearly insane with fright. His fears be well founded. I asked him to confess his secret. He said no.”

“I dumped out the sack, put the little cages and the other things in front of him as he sat naked and helpless on the floor. I picked up each, held it before his sightless face, and described it, told him what be in each little cage or basket or jar. Again I asked him to confess. He be sweating and panting and shaking, but he said no. Mathrin thought I be bluffing, that I did not have the courage. Mathrin be wrong.”

“I steeled myself, and brought his worst fears to life for him.”

Zedd’s brow bunched up into wrinkles. Curiosity won out over dread. “What did you do?”

She lifted her head to look into his eyes. “That be the one thing I will not tell you. It not be important anyway.”

“Mathrin would not talk, and suffered so much that I almost stopped several times. Each time I wanted to stop, I thought about the last thing my eyes had seen before he blinded me: Pell’s head held in Mathrin’s fist before me.” Adie swallowed, her voice so low Zedd could hardly hear her. “And I remembered Pell’s last words: ‘I will not say that of her to save my life. Even though she has betrayed me.’“

She closed her eyes for a moment. They came open and she went on. “Mathrin be on the edge of death. I thought he was not going to tell me why he came to me. But just before he died, he became still, despite what was being done to him. And then he said he would tell me, because he be about to die, because this, too, had been by plan. I asked him again why he had come back.”

“He leaned toward me. ‘Don’t you know, Adie?’ he asked me. ‘Don’t you know what I be? I be a baneling. I have been hiding right under your nose all this time. You have kept me near you all this time, and the Keeper knew right where you be. The Keeper lusts for those with the gift above all else.’ I had thought that that be it, that he be a baneling. I told him he had failed, it had done him no good, as he be about to die for his crimes.”

“He smiled at me.” She leaned forward. “Smiled! And he said, ‘You be wrong Adie. I have not failed. I have done the Keeper’s bidding. I have fulfilled my task. Perfectly. All this be by plan. I have made you do exactly as he wished. I shall be rewarded. I be the one who started the fire when you be little. I be the one who did those things to Pell. Not because I thought him or you a baneling. I be the baneling. I did it to make you break your oath. To make you welcome the Keeper’s hate into your heart.’“

“‘Breaking your oath be the first step, and look what you have done since. Look at what you be doing right now. Look at how far you have slipped toward him. You be within his grasp now. You may not have given him your oath, but you do his bidding. You have become what you hate. You have become me; you be a baneling. The Keeper smiles upon you, Adie, and thanks you for welcoming him into your heart.’ Mathrin slumped, and fell back, dead.”

Also I actually dug out a map of Goodkindland for this, because this next part is duuuuuumb

quote:

“How did you know about the pass? I put the boundary up, and I didn’t know the pass existed.”

“By putting up a boundary across parts of this world, it be a little like stoppering up a teakettle and then putting it on the fire. Without a vent, something will blow off. I knew that if there be magic wise enough to know how to bring the underworld into this, it must have a way to equalize each side of the boundary. A vent of some sort. A pass.”

So, uh.

This is the map in the first book. The boundary still exists at this point. (Also, yes, this means the PotP and Tanimura were apparently on the map from day one and nobody gave a poo poo.) "The boundary" is clearly not a straight line from top to bottom across the world, so why the gently caress does anything need "equalizing" if it's not circling the entire globe? How does that in any way make sense that there would be "a vent"? God, this is dumb.

Anyway eventually we get to the actual plot again and Zedd is still Zedd.

quote:

Her smile widened as she smoothed down a stray lock of his white hair. “Now. Tell me of the Stone of Tears. We must decide what is to be done with it.”

“The Stone of Tears? Well, it is hidden.”

She gave a single, firm nod. “Good. It not be something to be loose in this world.” Her brow wrinkled in a little frown. “It be hidden well? It be safe?”

Zedd winced a little. He didn’t want to tell her, he knew what she would say, but he had promised. “I put it on a chain. Put it on a chain and hung it around the neck of a little girl. I don’t know ... exactly ... where she is right now.”

“You touched it!” Adie’s eyes widened. “The Stone of Tears? You touched it, and hung it around the neck of a little girl!”

She gripped his chin firmly in her suddenly powerful fingers and leaned close to his face. “You have hung the Stone of Tears, the Stone that it be told was hung by the Creator Himself around the Keeper’s neck to lock him in the underworld ... You hung that around a little girl’s neck? And let her wander off!”

Zedd scowled defensively. “Well, I had to do something with it. I couldn’t just leave it lying about.”

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

This is the map in the first book. The boundary still exists at this point. (Also, yes, this means the PotP and Tanimura were apparently on the map from day one and nobody gave a poo poo.) "The boundary" is clearly not a straight line from top to bottom across the world, so why the gently caress does anything need "equalizing" if it's not circling the entire globe? How does that in any way make sense that there would be "a vent"? God, this is dumb.

Apologies for stepping on the joke! Have a fun fact: Goodkind hated that he put the map into the books, because as later books came out, he'd get questions about how things were in relation to each other.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Apologies for stepping on the joke! Have a fun fact: Goodkind hated that he put the map into the books, because as later books came out, he'd get questions about how things were in relation to each other.

This reminds me, did he ever include a map of the Old World? Or of the entire world (because I wanted to see how much the evil mind-control emperor actually controls and what nations exist down there and poo poo).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That's the thing people decided to call him on? The geography? As strange as it is, that's not even close to the worst these books have shown us so far.

I am reminded (because this thread has somehow become about superior authors) of Elantris, and how the big reveal actually makes no sense if you go by the map at the front of that book. It confused the heck out of me when it came up, but in the long run it's a pretty minor blemish.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Libluini posted:

This reminds me, did he ever include a map of the Old World? Or of the entire world (because I wanted to see how much the evil mind-control emperor actually controls and what nations exist down there and poo poo).
I don't think so. We just know it's super huge compared to the setting of the books and yet somehow all the fate-of-the-world stuff is concentrated in this little shithole corner. :shrug:

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

She gave a single, firm nod. “Good. It not be something to be loose in this world.” Her brow wrinkled in a little frown. “It be hidden well? It be safe?”

Lord of the Rings dialogue recited by a retarded woman. That is actually a pretty good analogue for the series as a whole.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Sindai posted:

I don't think so. We just know it's super huge compared to the setting of the books and yet somehow all the fate-of-the-world stuff is concentrated in this little shithole corner. :shrug:

A fantasy world only Rudyard Kipling could love.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thanks for doing this DDP, I really appreciate your suffering for my entertainment.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Anyway, a beast called a Skrin comes to life from Adie's bones and tries to kill her/Zedd. So they run. BACK TO RICHARD.

quote:

She lowered the book to her lap and looked up. “But you say you did not touch your Han? You felt nothing within yourself? You felt no power? Saw no light? Did not sense the Creator?” Her eyes narrowed. “You had better not be lying to me, Richard. You had better never lie to me about touching your Han.”

MASTURBATION JOKES.

Richard realizes someone's off in the distance. Verna, actually able to USE magic, has known for about an hour, but since they're close now, they may as well deal with it. Verna is very much a "deal with it" type.

quote:

Richard was starting toward the saddlebags, to gather the rest of their things, when a woman came running out of the night. Cloak flying behind, and crying in terror, she ran headlong into their camp. She let out a wail and dashed desperately for him.

“Please!” she cried out. “Please help me! Please don’t let them get me!”

Her loose hair streamed behind as she ran. The naked fear on her face ran a shiver up Richard’s spine. She stumbled as she reached him. Richard caught her frail form in his arms. Her dirty face was streaked with sweat and tears.

“Please, sir,” she sobbed, looking up at him with dark eyes, “please don’t let them get me. You don’t know what those men will do to me.”

Richard’s mind filled with the fright of remembering Kahlan being pursued by the quads. He remembered how terrified she had been of those men, and how she had spoken almost the same words: You don’t know what those men will do to me. “No one is going to get you. You are safe now.”

The woman’s arms came out from under her cloak, slipping around him. Her dark eyes stayed on his as he held her weight. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but instead gave a little grunt and jerked. Light seemed to flash from within her eyes. She went slack and heavy in his arms.

Richard looked up into Sister Verna’s unwavering gaze as she yanked the silver knife from the woman’s back. Richard felt himself letting the dead weight slip to the ground. The woman slumped fluidly and rolled onto her back.

“What’s the matter with you?” he hissed. “You have just murdered this woman.”

Sister Verna returned his glare in kind. “I thought you said you held no foolish prohibitions against killing women.”

The wrath of the sword’s magic pounded through him, raging to be set free. “You are mad.” He was rushing toward a lethal precipice. The sword’s point rose in anger.

“Before you would think to kill me,” Sister Verna said in a measured tone, “you had better make sure you are not making a mistake.” Richard didn’t answer. He was incapable of speaking through the fury. “Look in her hand, Richard.”

He looked down at the lifeless body. Her hands were covered by her heavy woolen cloak. Using the sword, he flicked the cloak back off her arm to reveal a knife still gripped in her dead fist. The point had a dark stain on it.

“Did she scratch you with the knife?”

Richard’s chest still heaved with anger. “No. Why?”

“Her knife is coated with poison. All it would take is a scratch.”

I cannot tell you enough that Richard acts more like a child during this segment than any child they ever brought to the Palace. He fights Verna on every single thing, even when she's pointing out (accurately) that even though he is a woods guide, they are a) not in the woods, b) in lands he has never heard of, while she's traveled it multiple times over the years, and c) she kind of wants him alive so maybe SHUT UP AND LISTEN FOR ONCE, rear end.

quote:

Her cold composure was more frightening than if she had yelled at him. “Our job is to help those with the gift, because the gift is given by the Creator. We serve the Creator. It is for him we die. I’ve lost two of my oldest friends because of you. I’ve wept myself to sleep with grief for them. I’ve had to kill this woman tonight, and I may have to kill others before we reach the palace.”

Richard had the feeling it would be best to keep quiet, but he couldn’t. She had a way of stirring the coals of his anger to flame. “Don’t try to assuage your guilt over what you’ve done at my expense, Sister.”

Her face heated with color that he could see, even in the moonlight. “I’ve tried to be patient with you, Richard. I’ve given you leeway because you’ve been pulled from the only life you have known, and been thrust into a situation you fear and don’t understand, but my patience is near its end.”

“I’ve tried my best not to see the lifeless bodies of my friends when I look into your eyes. Or when you tell me I’m heartless. I’ve tried not to think about you being the one standing at their burial, not me, and about the things I would have said over their fresh graves. There are things going on that are beyond my understanding, beyond my expectations, beyond what I was led to believe. Were it up to me, I’m of a mind to grant you your wish and remove your Rada’Han, and let you die in madness and pain. But it’s not up to me. It is the Creator’s work I do.”

This segment is so frustrating because I get the vibe we're supposed to be agreeing with Richard's SCATHING PUTDOWNS at every turn, but if Verna was written more like a human and less like a strawman, this speech would probably be one of the most honest responses to death in the entire franchise.

Speaking of Richard getting on my nerves... gently caress. Alright, let's get on with it. I know some of you have been waiting for this.

quote:

He raised his head. The little gar was standing in the blood where its mother had been, its trembling wings held out limply, its shoulders slumped, and its tufted ears wilted. Big green eyes watched him. They stared at each other for a long moment.

“I’m sorry, little one,” he whispered.

It took a tentative step toward him. Tears ran down the gar’s face. Tears ran down his. It took another small, shaky step.
Richard held his arms out. It watched, and then with a miserable wail, fell into them.

It clutched its long, skinny arms to him. Warm wings wrapped around his shoulders. Richard hugged it tightly to himself.

Gently stroking its coarse fur, he hushed it with comforting whispers. Richard rarely had seen a creature in such misery, a creature so in need of comfort that it would even accept it from the one who had caused its pain. Maybe, he thought, it was only recognizing him as the one who had saved it from being eaten by two huge monsters. Maybe, given the terrible choice, it chose to see him as a savior. Maybe the last impression, of saving it from being eaten, was simply the strongest.

The little gar felt like nothing more than a furry sack of bones. It was half starved. He could hear its stomach grumbling. Its faint musky odor, while not pleasant, was not repulsive either. He cooed succor as the thing’s whimpering slowed.

When it had at last quieted with a heavy, tired sigh, Richard stood. Sharp little claws tugged at his pant leg as it looked up to his face. He wished he had some food to leave with the pup, but he hadn’t brought his pack and had nothing to offer.

He pulled the claw from his pants. “I have to go. Those two won’t come back now. Try to find yourself a rabbit or something. You’ll have to do the best you can on your own now. Go on.”

It blinked up at him, its wings and one leg slowly stretching as it yawned. Richard turned and started off. He looked over his shoulder. The little gar followed after.

Richard stamped to a halt. “You can’t come with me.” He held his arms out and shooed it away. “Go on. Be off with you.” He started walking backward. The gar followed. He stopped again and shooed it more firmly. “Go! You can’t come with me! Go on!”

That's right: we use the Harry and the Hendersons bit TWICE IN THE SAME NOVEL.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Speaking of Richard getting on my nerves... gently caress. Alright, let's get on with it. I know some of you have been waiting for this.

That's right: we use the Harry and the Hendersons bit TWICE IN THE SAME NOVEL.

Holy poo poo
Three times! He does it with Gratch (??) again later, when he realizes that she sent him away to save him and still loves him.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Hodgepodge posted:

The only really skeevy part in Wheel of Time in terms of sex is how Rand ends up basically in a love....square I guess... with three woman, and their reaction is to go hivemind sister-wives full speed ahead.

On the other hand, he is basically battlemage-Jesus so I guess that's just their sort of thing.

Someone's forgetting the original (girl-on-girl) Evil BDSM Witches in Wheel of Time! Seriously, The Great Hunt was like twenty percent damane and the usual smooths-dress tugs-braid mixed with bondage. Still a good book and Jordan actually made the PTSD arising from being somebody's magic slave relevant to the characterization but... WoT is very "classic fantasy" at some points. Not pages glued together awful, but maybe occasionally Penthouse Letters awful.

(I still love the series, though. It's ridiculously redundant and it's got so much cheesy writing but it is the best guilty pleasure).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Zedd outwits a Skrin and the chase ends instantly when we cut back to them. Returning to Adie's house to get some bones, someone clearly raided it in their absence. Adie is getting extremely paranoid about this. Zedd... is not.

quote:

“We can’t take anything, Adie,” he said quietly.

She straightened. “I must take my bones. Some of them be important. Some have powerful magic.”

Zedd took up her thin hand. “Adie, the Keeper knew where we were by one of the bones. He’s been watching you. We can’t know if he would recognize any of these, too. We must leave them, but we can’t risk having someone else taking them; they must be destroyed.”

Her mouth worked for a moment before she found words. “I will not leave them. They be important. They were extremely difficult to obtain. It took me years to find some of them. The Keeper could not have marked them. He could not know the trouble I went to.”

Zedd patted her hand. “Adie, he wouldn’t have placed one he wanted you to have, to mark you, right in your path. He would have made you struggle for it, so you would value it and keep it close.”

She yanked her hand back. “Then he could have marked anything!” She pointed. “How do you know this horse was not given by a baneling?”

Zedd gave her a level look. “Because it was not the one offered. I took another.”

They leave.

Hey, remember that name of the dude who the evil wizard was going to be sent to counsel? Prince Fyren?

Welllllllll he's currently raping a queen. (I'm not transcribing this beyond the following.)

quote:

“Are my men hurting you, my lady?” came a mocking voice from behind.

Queen Cyrilla coolly denied Prince Fyren the satisfaction of an answer.

Cyrilla is half-sister to Kahlan, born of the king her mother took as a mindless mate. She went to the Midlands Council to get some aid. Not only is she not getting aid, her entire retinue was murdered and she's in a miserable shithole being raped. The only reason I mention this is that later on Kahlan is going to be thrown in this hole too, and I figured it would be a disservice to Goodkind to make it seem like The Rape Pit came out of nowhere in the last act, when it's actually Chekhov's Rape Pit.

Also Fyren has taken over the Midlands Council and he tried to have Cyrilla murdered a few times. I guess that might come up again, I entirely forgot about him aside from "pretty sure he's a baneling".

Speaking of Kahlan she taught her Mud People escort to speak common, and they find a city where everyone got slaughtered. This gives her the chance to speak about economies and run with more... Okay, let's hold up a second. I've had a couple of people reading this talk to me and say they can't quite see why it is I gripe about the Mud People so much. Let's break this down a bit.

Yes, in reality, there have been isolated tribes or peoples who might fit this profile. Yes, there are totally societies as xenophobic as the Mud People. The problem is that these things are a real loving pain to mash with THEY TRADE CONSTANTLY WITH NEIGHBORING TRIBES. You basically have to assume that every other group they come in contact with are either shunned of any information they might share (we know this is a lie, see below quote), or that everyone is just collaborating in a singular conspiracy to keep the Mud People stupid.

Also, I'm going to throw this out there again since I mentioned it earlier and I'm sure it got missed by some folks: literally every other tribe has a name that sounds like a name. The neighbors who they were almost at war with earlier were the Bantak, for instance. THEY ARE CALLED "MUD PEOPLE". It's not even "they are the (name), which translates to 'Mud People'", they just all go by MUD PEOPLE. They are ignorant savage stereotypes writ large from head to toe, save their one or two enlightened leaders who are trying to drag their people up despite themselves.

Anyway, Kahlan explains gold and we see even more cases of them basically being children.

quote:

“They use silver or gold to buy the things they need that they don’t grow or make themselves.”

“Where do they get this silver or gold?”

“People who want the thing they specialize in pay for it with silver or gold.”

“And where do these others get this silver or gold?”

“They get it from people who pay them for the things they do.”

Chandalen looked at her skeptically. “Why do they not trade? It would be easier to trade.”

“Well, in a way, it is trading. Often, the person who wants what you have has nothing you want, so they give you money—silver or gold made into flat, round disks called coins—instead. Then you can use the money to buy things you need.”

“Buy.” Chandalen seemed to test the strange word with his tongue as he looked off down a street to their right while shaking his head in disbelief. “Why would people work, then? Why would they not just go and get this silver or gold money?”

“Some do. They hunt silver and gold. But that is hard work, too. Gold is hard to find and dig out of the ground. That is why it is used for money: because it is rare. If it were easy to find, like grains of sand, then no one would take it in trade. If money were easy to get, or to make, it would become worthless, and then in the end this system of trade, with worthless money, would fail, and everyone would starve.

I think I've heard this before somewhere. Expect that to return at times...

quote:

He came to a halt with a frown. “What is this money made from? What is this silver or gold you speak of?”

She didn’t stop with him, and he had to take a few bounding steps to catch back up with her. “Gold is ... The medallion, the necklace, that the Bantak gave as a gift to the Mud People, to show they did not wish to make war, that is made of gold.” Chandalen nodded with a knowing grunt. Kahlan halted this time. “Do you know where the Bantak got that much gold?”

Chandalen swept his gaze across the slate rooftops. “Of course. They got it from us.”

Kahlan gripped his arm covered with his mantle and pulled him around. “What do you mean, they got it from you?”

He tensed at her touch. He didn’t like her hand—a Confessor’s hand—on him. That the fur mantle separated actual contact of flesh was of no consequence; their flesh was close enough. If she relaxed her restraint of the power, that thin piece of hide would be no impediment; Kahlan had loosed her power through armor before. She released her grip and he visibly relaxed. “Chandalen, where did the Mud People get that much gold?”

He looked at her as if she were a child asking where you might find dirt. “From the holes in the ground. In our land, to the north where it is rocky and nothing much will grow or live, there are holes in the ground. They have this gold in them. It is a bad place. The air is hot and bad. It is said that men die if they stay too long in the ground. The yellow metal is in these deep holes. It is too soft to make good weapons, so it is of no use.”

He dismissed its importance with a wave of his hand. “But the Bantak say their ancestors’ spirits like the look of the yellow metal, and so we let them come onto our land and go in the holes so they may get it to make things their ancestors’ spirits may like to look upon when they come to this world.”

“Chandalen, do others know of these holes in the ground, of the gold that is in them?”

He shrugged. “We do not let outsiders come to our land. But I told you, it is too soft to make weapons with, so it is of no use. It pleases the Bantak, and they are good traders with us, so we let them take what they want. They do not take much, though, because it is a bad place to go into. No one would want to go there, except the Bantak, to please their ancestors’ spirits.”

How could she explain it to him? He didn’t understand the ways of the outside world.

Okay, maybe everyone DOES want to keep them stupid for their own reasons, who knows.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Pieces of Peace posted:

Someone's forgetting the original (girl-on-girl) Evil BDSM Witches in Wheel of Time! Seriously, The Great Hunt was like twenty percent damane and the usual smooths-dress tugs-braid mixed with bondage. Still a good book and Jordan actually made the PTSD arising from being somebody's magic slave relevant to the characterization but... WoT is very "classic fantasy" at some points. Not pages glued together awful, but maybe occasionally Penthouse Letters awful.

(I still love the series, though. It's ridiculously redundant and it's got so much cheesy writing but it is the best guilty pleasure).

I dunno. I read these at the same time as a teenager, and the damane stuff never gave me a vibe beyond being pissed off a hypocritical slaveholder antagonists, whereas with the Mord Sith I was pretty clear on having unexpectedly entered hankies and lube territory.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Are you sure Goodkind's a goldbug? Because this Mud Person gave the exact reason why gold isn't inherently valuable - it has no practical use. You can't eat it, or use it to make useful things.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

quote:

I dunno. I read these at the same time as a teenager, and the damane stuff never gave me a vibe beyond being pissed off a hypocritical slaveholder antagonists, whereas with the Mord Sith I was pretty clear on having unexpectedly entered hankies and lube territory.

Not to mention the difference in how actual sex is handled in the two series. With the sword of truth you get this mix of terrible purple prose and bloody BJs (plust rape, rape, rape, rape). In WoT they tend to be "fade to black" scenes with relatively minimal descriptions (from my recollections at least) which mostly amount to some blushing and vague innuendo the next day. I don't even remember anyone being raped at all!

quote:

Are you sure Goodkind's a goldbug? Because this Mud Person gave the exact reason why gold isn't inherently valuable - it has no practical use. You can't eat it, or use it to make useful things.

I think that's because the Mud People are meant to be foolish and wrong here and thus they are spouting the "nonesense" that people use to protest gold's value.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 13, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
But you could make a stronger argument for using beans as currency. As with gold, beans require work to get - if you don't take care of the bean plants and help them to grow, the plants will die and you will remain bean-less. Unlike gold, you can use beans as food OR put them in the ground and produce more beans OR put them in a sealed container to make a musical instrument. Beans are clearly the better choice for a non-fiat currency!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 13, 2014

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Pththya-lyi posted:

But you could make a stronger argument for using beans as currency. As with gold, beans require work to get - if you don't take care of the bean plants and help them to grow, the plants will die and you will remain bean-less. Unlike gold, you can use beans as food OR put them in the ground and produce more beans OR put them in a sealed container to make a musical instrument. Beans are clearly the better choice for a non-fiat currency!

Eh, you could say that beans have inherent value where as gold does not (which is true, barring high tech applications). But it's actually better for your currency to have no inherent value.

Beans make a crappy currency: they can be spoiled or ruined fairly easily (destroying their value and potentially removing large amounts of currency from the market) and since the supply of beans is highly variable (depending on crop yields) and thus their value will swing massively which is terrible for any economy. They're also hard to standardize (especially if multiple bean species are used, how does one handle exchanges!) and difficult to carry in large quantities (as individually each bean has very, very low value).

Now, gold has many problems like that as well, they're just less severe: since gold is a corrosion resistant metal it's pretty much impossible for it to spoil or degrade...but it can be lost (if a ship-full of gold is lost it's difficult for the government to replace that gold which is now completely gone from the economy). Since its rare its value doesn't fluctuate too wildly...but discoveries of large gold deposits or interaction with other cultures where gold is less valued can still have a fairly strong influence. The purity and size of gold coins can make things difficult to standardize and although the "value density" of gold is much higher than beans it can still be difficult to carry large quantities of gold around if needed.

But, that's why paper/credit is better than gold. It's supply is controlled purely by the government and assuming that the government is not massively irresponsible (which, admittedly, has been the case at times) it's much easier to control the supply of arbitrary currency like paper and non-precious coins. Value is set and arbitrary so there's no problem with carrying enough money and standardization is built in.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

oriongates posted:

I don't even remember anyone being raped at all!
I have some bad news for you.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Nihilarian posted:

I have some bad news for you.

drat! I knew I was tempting fate with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

it's actually Chekhov's Rape Pit.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Let's Read the Sword of Truth Books: It's actually Chekhov's Rape Pit

Adding one more "thank you for this thread." I've gotten hours of entertainment out of it, too.