Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I think Lin and Suyin can both do that, actually.

I meant constantly like Toph does. Without having to stomp. Aang did it at the finale when Ozai tried to sneak attack him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just glad she was actually broken up about it instead of the writers needlessly making her a complete piece of poo poo.

I'm still hopeful there's something more to what Kuvira's doing besides taking Su's philosophy too far and getting drunk on power. She did say that Republic City wasn't worth Bataar's life, but then sacrificed him anyway as if she were compelled to do so, even if she was obviously distressed over having done it afterwards.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Not gonna lie, the Colossus being a steampunk Jet Alone kinda owns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sydin posted:

She did say that Republic City wasn't worth Bataar's life, but then sacrificed him anyway as if she were compelled to do so, even if she was obviously distressed over having done it afterwards.
She was entirely saying that for his own benefit, to make him feel relieved in the moment before she killed him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Sydin posted:

I'm still hopeful there's something more to what Kuvira's doing besides taking Su's philosophy too far and getting drunk on power. She did say that Republic City wasn't worth Bataar's life, but then sacrificed him anyway as if she were compelled to do so, even if she was obviously distressed over having done it afterwards.

Kuvira's actions seem to be more a reaction to Su's philosophy than an extension of it. Su seemed pretty live-and-let-live. Which if you take too far just becomes selfish, dogmatic isolationism. Which is what Su does. I doubt we'll get a whole lot more out of her, sadly. Not enough episodes.

If this had 15 or more episodes I'd have loved for one to be primarily a flashback showing how crappy the Warlord Era Earth Kingdom was and the kind of difficult choices/moral compromises Kuvira ended up making that brought her to this point.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sharmat posted:

There's gonna be two left. They're going to be piloted by Varrick (who goes full Iron man) and Asami (who needs something to do this season very badly).
Diagram shows each helicopter needing two pilots.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Then one's Varrick and Zhu-li, the other is Asami and...Pabu?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Whats even the point when you have airbenders and bison?

exploding is the only thing helicopters ever do in these shows. exploding on the roof, exploding in the factory, exploding in mid-air

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

The Sharmat posted:

Given that they have no real electronics that we've seen I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it moves in the first place.

What episode of Avatar did the physics of bending get explained so well that you're so confident in this?

I used the physics of real world logic. If you tug the rug under a tall top heavy object with a narrow base it will fall over. Unless you are implying Kuvira has a group of invisible metal benders standing at the feet of the mech actively holding the it up and looking for earthbender sink holes, the only thing they COULD realistically do is react to the mech being thrown off balance. Once the balance is thrown off and it starts to tilt that means her army has to catch a 25 story (per Korra's measurement) top heavy robot which I doubt would be easy at all.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The mech was really dumb... but really funny. drat it it's their last two episodes so let them go out in a ridiculous blaze of anime glory.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Writh posted:

I used the physics of real world logic. If you tug the rug under a tall top heavy object with a narrow base it will fall over. Unless you are implying Kuvira has a group of invisible metal benders standing at the feet of the mech actively holding the it up and looking for earthbender sink holes, the only thing they COULD realistically do is react to the mech being thrown off balance. Once the balance is thrown off and it starts to tilt that means her army has to catch a 25 story (per Korra's measurement) top heavy robot which I doubt would be easy at all.

It's actually hollow with no machine parts at all. All those nobs Kuvira pulls just tell the metal benders in the legs/arms how to move.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Writh posted:

Earthbenders would probably notice the shifting earth and immediately counter what the enemy earthbenders were doing. Also you're hugely overthinking this because bending basically works however the writers want it to work and they've never established any consistent rules.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Earthbenders would probably notice the shifting earth and immediately counter what the enemy earthbenders were doing. Also you're hugely overthinking this because bending basically works however the writers want it to work and they've never established any consistent rules.

Over thinking? I just said they would make a sink hole under one of the robots feet and cause it to fall. I haven't seen anything that indicates that earthbenders can sense other earthbending going on. All they need to do is shift the ground under its foot as it steps. I think you may have misread what I said or read to much into what I said

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX2YX_Cjc-Q
But instead of a split just move the ground under the foot down. Very basic stuff, just a bigger enemy

Writh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 13, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They don't need Toph's super senses to detect the amount of earth moving required to even mildly inconvenience a robot that tall.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
whenever im watching this show i cant help myself from saying outloud things like "stupid bitch," "dumb fag," etc, in reaction to the characteres and the things they say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

They don't need Toph's super senses to detect the amount of earth moving required to even mildly inconvenience a robot that tall.

Now YOU are over thinking it and contradicting yourself. Anyway, I'm done derailing. I'm pumped for the finally

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Misandrist Wytch posted:

whenever im watching this show i cant help myself from saying outloud things like "stupid bitch," "dumb fag," etc, in reaction to the characteres and the things they say.

I too shout epithets at 2-d people on my computer screen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JT Jag posted:

She was entirely saying that for his own benefit, to make him feel relieved in the moment before she killed him.

But didn't she turn the Radio off before she said that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think so?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

MonsterEnvy posted:

She turned it off to tell the grunt to get their location then turned it on to say that. Also I didn't really get a sense she was remorseful about doing it, what are people getting that from?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Did anyone else have problems with full-screen mode on the Nick site?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Misandrist Wytch posted:

She turned it off to tell the grunt to get their location then turned it on to say that. Also I didn't really get a sense she was remorseful about doing it, what are people getting that from?
I thought she felt... kinda bad. Like, she'll probably file this away and maybe cry about Bataar's murder noble sacrifice when she isn't in the middle of conquering the United Republic, but not so bad that she was going to break down into tears right that moment.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Regalingualius posted:

Did anyone else have problems with full-screen mode on the Nick site?

Yeah past couple of weeks, unfucks itself sometimes though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Her facial expressions after doing it, she's clearly steeling herself there. She loves Baatar Jr., but not enough to not be willing to sacrifice him for more territory.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bataar Jr is a dumb as hell name for an antagonist, incidentally

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dumb name for a dumb character. Kuvira rules, she was totally feeling bad but YEAH NOT BAD ENOUGH TO NOT BLOW HIM UP.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's just Bataar now, mother. :saddowns:

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Then one's Varrick and Zhu-li, the other is Asami and...Pabu?

How about Hiroshi? He has experience piloting mechs and it would give that Asami storyline closure.

That was a great episode. The giant mech shouldn't have worked for me but it totally did. I got chills every time it slowly emerged into view.

I think there's still a chance Kuvira was hiring bandits at least some of the time. All it takes to show that is one line from Baatar and that's what, two seconds? I'm not really invested in that though so it could go either way for me.

They actually had Pema doing something! Normally I wouldn't care but Maria Bamford has been wasted this series.

I'm curious where the Republic City citizens fled to. The United Republic countryside must be absolutely saturated. Maybe the Fire Nation opened its borders?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's never been more obvious that you're a Hiroshi Sato parachute account.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

:ninja:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think we were ever supposed to take him seriously as an antagonist. Varrick's shocked/impressed reaction to the Colossus was probably supposed to be representative of the audience. He hasn't exactly inspired confidence in the past--he's essentially been played for laughs and as a walking temper tantrum. His whiny, weaselly voice doesn't help either.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Percy Weasley is def. gonna say how to beat the mech

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jackard posted:

:rip:

railgun was too good for this world

Yeah, have to say that I thought of Battle Angel Alita too, the first time I saw the railway gun. Whatup fellow Battle Angel Alita reader!! :)

You know it would be really really silly (but also strangely satisfying in a schlocky way) if in the finale Kuvira ran out of spiritvine ammo and then just used the mecha as a gigantic earthbending extension of herself. Like the mecha just repeats the same moves she does in the cockpit just like in G-Gundam and allows her to earthbend, like, a mountain or something.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 13, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sato posted:

:ninja:

I don't think we were ever supposed to take him seriously as an antagonist. Varrick's shocked/impressed reaction to the Colossus was probably supposed to be representative of the audience. He hasn't exactly inspired confidence in the past--he's essentially been played for laughs and as a walking temper tantrum. His whiny, weaselly voice doesn't help either.

Something always made me think of him as the Avatar world's Rusty Venture.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I'm calling it now. Either Korra learns how to bend spirit energy blast, or close proximity to it has given Raava a supercharge that let's Korra commune with her past Avatars again.

Because let's be honest, not even this thing would really stand up to a full fledged figure who has been known to split an entire small island off of a country because someone pissed her off enough.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

ApeHawk posted:

Kuvira makes a giant Metal Gear and controls it via metalbending kung fu.

loving CALLED it.

Badass episode, though!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, have to say that I thought of Battle Angel Alita too, the first time I saw the railway gun. Whatup fellow Battle Angel Alita reader!! :)

You know it would be really really silly (but also strangely satisfying in a schlocky way) if in the finale Kuvira ran out of spiritvine ammo and then just used the mecha as a gigantic earthbending extension of herself. Like the mecha just repeats the same moves she does in the cockpit just like in G-Gundam and allows her to earthbend, like, a mountain or something.

I'd like to see this, along with the Colossus having an Fuunsaiki analogue piloted by Bataar Jr. just for further humiliation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think he's wrong, though. That reconciliation is such a Chekhov's gun that I could totally buy Sato coming in and finding a way to kick the KuviraEva's rear end.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm still hoping that the prison reconciliation was the last we ever see of Hiroshi and that whole plot is thus resolved in the laziest way imaginable. Not because it would be better, but because it would amuse me more.

Now that I think about it, there's a huge advantage to transporting the spirit nuke on a giant walking mech instead of your usual tank/train/ship transport methods, and that advantage is height. And that's because the nuke's biggest advantage is its range; it fires for miles on end with no indication of any upper limit. The reason that the United Republic had to surrender was because they can't fight anything with such long-range capabilities, shooting past their entire blockade and outright demolishing the city. Even Ozai's comet-enhanced fleet was limited by relative range, which is how Aang was able to cripple one of his airships with earthbending. Of course, Kuvira's range advantage would be hampered if she puts her nuke at ground level with the rest of her tanks. Hence, giant mobile suit.

She might've been able to put it on an airship, but it might be too heavy or unwieldy; airships have a size limit, after all. And airships are too vulnerable to airbender sabotage, as with what happened in this episode.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Classtoise posted:

I'm calling it now. Either Korra learns how to bend spirit energy blast, or close proximity to it has given Raava a supercharge that let's Korra commune with her past Avatars again.

I would especially appreciate this if they find a way to pull out the classic TLA theme again like they did for Wan and Raava's merging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Korra getting all the past Avatars back is another thing that would piss me off. I don't know why no one wants gently caress ups to have lasting consequences.

• Locked thread