Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay, how does the Chaos Card work? I keep trying to fire it at whatever and it fires in a completely different direction than where I was moving or firing. It's really aggravating because I lost a few runs this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Just spawned in Womb XL with this goddamn beast of a map. I need to block off the next full hour for just this floor. The fact that I only have The Map from the shop just makes it even more intimidating.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 12, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mental Midget posted:

Just spawned in Womb XL with this goddamn beast of a map. I need to block off the next full hour for just this floor. The fact that I only have The Map from the shop just makes it even more intimidating.

Thankfully having the map AND an XL floor makes it a bit more approachable. The boss room can only be in these places:

since they have to be adjacent to each other and only connected to one other room.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, how does the Chaos Card work? I keep trying to fire it at whatever and it fires in a completely different direction than where I was moving or firing. It's really aggravating because I lost a few runs this way.

Stop firing and move in the direction you want to fire it in. Wiki says it fires in the direction your body is facing.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

pussy riot police posted:

Stop firing and move in the direction you want to fire it in. Wiki says it fires in the direction your body is facing.

I wasted 2 or 3 cards before I realized that. :argh:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've had plenty of success doing this:

pussy riot police posted:

I got lucky one run and got a Chaos Card + Blank Card and got to practice with it every 4 rooms. It's an utterly magical item. I had a Bloat fight that became utterly trivial because even though I missed the fucker with the card (he jumped as I tossed it) I managed to catch both of his eyes with it. It literally kills any entity that it touches, even invincible/immortal ones that can't normally take damage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
picked up the suicide king card and pushed A by mistake, feeling pretty bad.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think, like Mom's Knife, it also fires at diagonals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
FMF0 4WXN

Sometimes the game just wants you to win via overkill I guess.

Which I guess I have time for now:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quick question, are there any objects that take health directly from your health pool and not soul/black/eternal hearts first? I need to drop half a heart to activate Whore of Babylon and I've got a fuckjillion black hearts I'd rather not waste.

edit: vvv Got it, thank you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 12, 2014

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Quick question, are there any objects that take health directly from your health pool and not soul/black/eternal hearts first? I need to drop half a heart to activate Whore of Babylon and I've got a fuckjillion black hearts I'd rather not waste.

Just the IV Bag/Blood Bank and Dark Beggars is far as I know.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You can also get lucky and find a Health Down pill (If you've got two hearts), but the next one you find will be a Health Up.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Razor blade takes red hearts before soul/black, iirc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I ended up taking a devil deal that brought me down to 0 red hearts, which still means permanent Whore of Babylon in Rebirth. Still, those suggestions also would have worked I'm sure. :v:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I ended up taking a devil deal that brought me down to 0 red hearts, which still means permanent Whore of Babylon in Rebirth. Still, those suggestions also would have worked I'm sure. :v:

That's pretty much the way to play Eve. Take a nice devil deal early on and play the game like you would with the Blue Baby.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

You can also get lucky and find a Health Down pill (If you've got two hearts), but the next one you find will be a Health Up.

Of course, unless you're Eve that still won't activate Whore of Babylon.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What happens if you have ???'s Only Friend and Ludovico Technique at the same time? Do they overlap, move at different speeds, or what?

Edit: Also, I just had the best ragequit. I was already barely scraping by with a lovely run, and the latest boss dropped the goddamn razor blade. So I decided to off myself with it right then... but I'd also picked up the black bean, so I died in a fit of petulant farting.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

What happens if you have ???'s Only Friend and Ludovico Technique at the same time? Do they overlap, move at different speeds, or what?

Edit: Also, I just had the best ragequit. I was already barely scraping by with a lovely run, and the latest boss dropped the goddamn razor blade. So I decided to off myself with it right then... but I'd also picked up the black bean, so I died in a fit of petulant farting.

You control them seperately, and ???'s Friend is faster than the Ludovico unless you have a lot of Shot Speed increases, so it gets a bit clumsy at times.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Can you quit and resume a challenge half way through?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Of course, unless you're Eve that still won't activate Whore of Babylon.

Oh yeah, but I only ever find Whore of Babylon when I'm ???, so I tend to forget that.

Eve is great in this game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm not a very good player (been banging my head against a wall in-game since the original PC release) so I just wanted to drop in and brag -- just finished my first ??? game clear, AND I managed to pick up the negative on the way, had my first trip into the Dark Room, and killed the Lamb first try!! Nothing crazy as far as items go, just some real powerful tears along with Lil' Haunt and a fully-grown Super Bandage Girl putting in work for me. It's been a while since I played the original, what's my next step as far as progression goes? I have the negative unlocked but seemingly not the Polaroid; how do I get that again? I know it gives me access to The Chest once I do, but that's all I remember. Also, I got "The Angels Await!" upon beating The Lamb... I know that has something to do with the super secret final boss but can anyone refresh my memory on how that unlock process actually works? Thanks yall

edit: also got It Lives unlocked this run... if I recall correctly, that changes Mom's Heart into an alternate boss and guarantees a devil/angel room on Womb 2, is that correct?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

goferchan posted:

I'm not a very good player (been banging my head against a wall in-game since the original PC release) so I just wanted to drop in and brag -- just finished my first ??? game clear, AND I managed to pick up the negative on the way, had my first trip into the Dark Room, and killed the Lamb first try!! Nothing crazy as far as items go, just some real powerful tears along with Lil' Haunt and a fully-grown Super Bandage Girl putting in work for me. It's been a while since I played the original, what's my next step as far as progression goes? I have the negative unlocked but seemingly not the Polaroid; how do I get that again? I know it gives me access to The Chest once I do, but that's all I remember. Also, I got "The Angels Await!" upon beating The Lamb... I know that has something to do with the super secret final boss but can anyone refresh my memory on how that unlock process actually works? Thanks yall

edit: also got It Lives unlocked this run... if I recall correctly, that changes Mom's Heart into an alternate boss and guarantees a devil/angel room on Womb 2, is that correct?

Clear the Cathedral 5 times to unlock the Polaroid. Once you have both the Polaroid and Negative unlocked, just work on getting each clear symbol as each character for their unlocks.

Angels Await means that you can now bomb angel statues for a boss fight, and when you kill them, they drop half a key. Kill 2 for the full key to unlock the ultimate boss room in the Chest/Dark Room.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Does getting the key from the Angels permanently unlock the option to fight the mega boss in all my runs from there on out, or do I need to do it each time I want to attempt the fight? Thanks for the info!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

goferchan posted:

Does getting the key from the Angels permanently unlock the option to fight the mega boss in all my runs from there on out, or do I need to do it each time I want to attempt the fight? Thanks for the info!

You have to gather the angel's keys or use dad's key each time.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Luckily, Dad's Key is unlocked once you get both halves and put the key together for the first time.

Edit. I have a question of my own. Can the 1-Up, Raw Liver and Black Lotus appear in the Chest, or am I stuck searching Secret Rooms forever?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

You have to gather the angel's keys or use dad's key each time.

Also, if you don't feel like fighting Mega-Satan, you can just reroll the key parts into Angel Room items (assuming you have a D6).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You know what's great? Having a handful of extra coins you don't need, and having the donation machine jam on the first donation of each run. :bang:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Just to be evil (on top of, you know, it making sense), defeating an angel statue should substantially decrease your odds of getting an angel room instead of a devil room.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Just to be evil (on top of, you know, it making sense), defeating an angel statue should substantially decrease your odds of getting an angel room instead of a devil room.

Why is every suggestion you make in this thread so bad

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can anyone please explain the sharp plug?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

only this is completely counter-intuitive to getting the key to fight mega satan, at some point logic must give way to game design

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Funktor posted:

If the charge on your space bar item is empty, the sharp plug gives you a full charge when you press space, in exchange for 2 hearts. If you also have the wafer, the cost is reduced to 1/2 a heart. It takes blue and black hearts before red hearts. If the charge is not empty, sharp plug does nothing.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Please consider not posting more of your suggestions in this thread.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

You know what's great? Having a handful of extra coins you don't need, and having the donation machine jam on the first donation of each run. :bang:

Getting to 999 coins was the last achievement I needed before getting Platinum God, which I still don't have because I haven't found all the items yet, but that's another story.

Anyway, it probably took me a good 20-25 runs from 725 coins to get there because it would jam so often. I think the longest it let me put coins in there was roughly 20 coins.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Captain Invictus posted:

Cat Got Your Tongue was totally doable and honestly fun. The orbiting flies one is horrible because there's a fair number of rooms that you cannot beat without taking a bunch of damage. For example I entered a room with 8 of those exploding spiders alongside a bunch of normal ones, and while it IS possible to kill them without taking blast damage, it's mostly luck-based and takes far too long besides. I'm not asking for every orbiting powerup, but drat, give that challenge something more to start with, maybe the increased orbiting range thing, or the big fly in addition to everything else, something! As it is it's tedious at best, infuriatingly slow and too random at worst.

Cat Got Your Tongue is a terrible slog while Solar System was one of the easier challenges I did. So sad I missed out on using seeds for Challenges :negative:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

AnonSpore posted:

Why is every suggestion you make in this thread so bad

After a point I decided people weren't appreciating my good ideas and it'd be funnier to just post my really bad ones.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Beans is such a terrible challenge. It's so boring, and you'll burn through your bomb supply fast if you want to get through it fast and keep running into damage sponge bosses. The Bean couldn't had a faster recharge time? Or you could've had the Battery to help with that? Or not be blindfolded?

Vokehead
Feb 13, 2013

Funktor posted:

An item with NO charge will get a full charge and you lose two hearts.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Hey dudes and dudettes, I'm experiencing a bug I think. If I go into fullscreen mode, the game expands to waaay past the edges of my monitor. Does that make sense? I've run fullscreen with no problems in the past, but once i went to windowed and messed with the dimensions of the window, it stopped working. It's not, like, a huge deal, but the game is more resource-intensive in windowed mode which makes it essentially unplayable if I unplug my laptop. Send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So, to create a Monster Manuel loop for Meat Boy, you need the Manuel, the Sharp Plug, and some way of generating infinite life? Are Pyromaniac + Dr. Fetus or 2 Jera Runes with Lovers/Heirophant the only sensible combos?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 13, 2014