Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Can we conclude, then, that everyone in this thread has homosexual tendencies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Thoughts and tendencies are two different things.

But, get to your point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's not gay to put a wig on a man and pretend they're a woman. How could it be gay if you're pretending they're a woman?

...not that I did it.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Thoughts and tendencies are two different things.

But, get to your point.

Just that homosexual tendencies seem to be a fairly universal thing. Either that, or this crowd is abnormally homosexual, to the extent it doesn't have a single full-hetero! Aren't they supposed to be the vast majority of the population, according to popular myth?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Remember, murdering and torturing people isn't wrong because people don't deserve to be murdered/tortured, because they very well do deserve that and worse.

You should refrain from killing and torturing because only God deserves the sublime thrill of murdering and torturing.

Discuss.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Congratulations, you're the absolutely first person ever to discover that human sexuality is, usually, not a binary thing! I mean, I'm pretty much full het, but it wouldn't surprise me if most others were close, but not on, one end of the Kinsey scale, with a minority on the other or in between.

Now, where are you going with this, the basic "it proves universality of sin/man's fallen nature," or were you planning on kicking it up a few notches by drawing some specious, and likely offensive, links between homosexuality and sexual abuse?

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 13, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Just that homosexual tendencies seem to be a fairly universal thing. Either that, or this crowd is abnormally homosexual, to the extent it doesn't have a single full-hetero! Aren't they supposed to be the vast majority of the population, according to popular myth?

As someone who has been married for almost ten years, and has a son, and openly admitted to having homosexual thoughts, could you just come out and say what you are implying?

Thoughts =/= Tendencies

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Are we responsible for defending public myths or something?

"I'm sure you believe in Bigfoot as well. Isn't that just like a secularist" *tucks wooden beads into own butthole*

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kyrie eleison posted:

Hands up: Who in this thread has never had a homosexual thought?

Remember that God is listening to your answer.
You probably should have asked the opposite question, because there's probably not anyone who could say "Yes, me" to this question and be truthful. I've had a couple of gay thoughts, and I don't care, because it doesn't matter to me, or to God.

Kyrie eleison posted:

E: Exactly! (The word "myth" is the key word, because that's all it is, a myth.)
Here's the thing, being gay or straight is not an either/or, it's a scale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale
This scale, in fact.

Also here, have some stats (on the scale, 0 is exclusively heterosexual, 3 is equally heterosexual/homosexual, and 6 is exclusively homosexual):

quote:

Men: 11.6% of white males aged 20–35 were given a rating of 3 for this period of their lives. The study also reported that 10% of American males surveyed were "more or less exclusively homosexual for at least three years between the ages of 16 and 55" (in the 5 to 6 range).

Women: 7% of single females aged 20–35 and 4% of previously married females aged 20–35 were given a rating of 3 for this period of their lives. 2% to 6% of females, aged 20–35, were given a rating of 5 and 1% to 3% of unmarried females aged 20–35 were rated as 6.
And this was back in the late 1940s to the early 1950s, when homosexuality was still considered a disease (it's not), instead of an integral part of the human condition (which it is).

Kyrie, stop denying yourself bro, embrace who you truly are. You'll be much happier, and you can still worship God and Jesus just fine.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 13, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
So: if homosexuality is a universal tendency, why does everyone not live a homosexual lifestyle?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

I really hope you're building up to something about original sin here

Kyrie eleison posted:

So: if homosexuality is a universal tendency, why does everyone not live a homosexual lifestyle?
While the occasional homosexual impulse is probably universal or nearly so (and in turn, homosexuals probably have occasional heterosexual impulses; many older gay men married women and had children with them, and presumably they did not all use turkey basters), not all people are primarily homosexual, or balanced sufficiently between homosexual and heterosexual desire that a homosexual relationship would satisfy them.

When you say "a homosexual lifestyle" what do you mean? I am choosing to assume you mean 'primarily or solely pursues sex with the same gender,' or possibly 'wishes to permanently wed a same-gender person'.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 13, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nessus posted:

I really hope you're building up to something about original sin here

I amend my earlier prediction, my guess now is he's going with "everyone feels homosexual tendencies (because they are a sin and sin is universal), but proper morally correct people know instinctively to repress them, or can so be instructed by the holy mother church you'll all burn burn burn."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

What is that? Purses?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Because sex with a woman feels really good too?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Why are you so intent on saying thoughts are the same as tendencies when it has been pointed out multiple times they're not the same thing?

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Because he's trying to put forth his agenda without actually putting forth his agenda.

Bel Shazar posted:

Because sex with a woman feels really good too?

Dravinski fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 13, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The difference between you and us, Kyrie, is that none of us have said things to the effect that we can only love or feel comfortable and open around those of the same sex but that we feel we need to do our best to hide these thoughts and force ourselves to have children with someone we don't love.

You have, though, and that's not healthy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kyrie eleison posted:

Many reasons:
1. There are quite a few people who are indeed almost completely heterosexual, so living in a heterosexual lifestyle works just fine for them.
2. Sex with a woman feels really good (if you're a man). Sex with a man feels good (if you're a woman). Sex feels good in general.
3. A person falls on the lower end of the Kinsey Scale, so they are more likely to end up in a relationship with an opposite-sex partner.
4. Cultural inertia "encourages" otherwise bisexual people to choose an opposite-sex partner even if they would be perfectly happy with a same-sex partner.
5. Cultural inertia means that gay people are afraid of coming out and being shunned by friends, family, or other relatives.
6. Religious institutions continue to declare that there is something "wrong" with homosexuality (there isn't), leading homosexual people in these religions to deny their own nature so as to not be shunned by other religious followers/leaders.
7. The extremely ugly fact that trying to live a "homosexual lifestyle" will get you beaten and killed (sometimes even legally!:suicide:) in various parts of the world like Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uganda, Iran, among many many other places.
8. Continued stigma against gay/bisexual people because of reasons 4-8.

Otherwise, sure, live a homosexual lifestyle (whatever the hell that actually means), there's nothing wrong with it.:toot:
Have fun, be happy, be who you are!:toot:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 13, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Why are you so intent on saying thoughts are the same as tendencies when it has been pointed out multiple times they're not the same thing?

Because Jesus explicitly draws a connection between sinful thoughts and sinful actions, is my guess.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah but even if you want to go the route of "If you look at a woman with lust in your heart you've already committed adultery" route and say "If you have a gay thought you've already had gay sex in the eyes of God so why not just have gay sex" it still doesn't work. Would that excuse fly for priests? Priests are supposed to remain unmarried but they obviously have sexual thoughts once in a while, but the Catholic Church would never say "Well, you might as well go have sex with that woman, you've already done it in the eyes of God."

It's not a perfect comparison (priests voluntarily take a vow of celibacy while nobody really chooses to be gay) but I still don't see the point of his argument. "You've thought about doing it therefore why don't you do it for real" is a terrible argument and if that's his point it's just nonsensical because he obviously doesn't apply it to himself or other members of the Church. That's not even taking into account most people here don't think being gay is a sin.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Huh, now I feel sorry for Kyrie. Get help man, be yourself. I have a lesbian cousin who was in a similar situation as yourself and she managed to escape all the self-loathing and is now in a committed relationship of five years and is way happier.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Please gently caress a dude, OP.

But most importantly feel good about yourself when you do it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm bi. I am happy and healthy because I admit that about myself and don't try to ignore the things that make me happy even if those things are other dudes.

Maybe you should try it some time.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 13, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Barent posted:

Huh, now I feel sorry for Kyrie. Get help man, be yourself. I have a lesbian cousin who was in a similar situation as yourself and she managed to escape all the self-loathing and is now in a committed relationship of five years and is way happier.

I am being myself. This is me.

Here's the thing. If you have both heterosexual and homosexual tendencies, and you want a monogamous life partner, aren't you going to have to choose a gender? And, considering how important this choice will be on your life, shouldn't this be a rational choice, involving weighing the pros and cons?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyrie eleison posted:

Here's the thing. If you have both heterosexual and homosexual tendencies, and you want a monogamous life partner, aren't you going to have to choose a gender? And, considering how important this choice will be on your life, shouldn't this be a rational choice, involving weighing the pros and cons?

Just say what you want to say and stop this weak rear end bullshit. Just say that you think homosexuality is a sin because it doesn't involve procreation (which isn't necessarily true).

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

You incorrectly posit that this is an important choice, whereas in reality you can adapt to pretty much any situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Being gay/bi/straight does not change your gender, only which one you are attracted to. You can be monogomous and be gay or bi. My wifes bi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'm going to guess your image of the comparison is "openness to life, the wonder of God's intended form of marriage" vs. "infernal sodomy, possibly seductively pleasurable, in a popper-fuelled orgy of relentless anal destruction"

However, it is quite true that many bisexuals opt to go with an opposite-sex partner to avoid the issues of social opprobrium. (Some later then go on to cheat on that spouse "on the down low" you might say, but shhh.)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

No, it really isn't, except for maybe a small minority. Even though most straight men, myself included, occasionally have a same-sex attraction, we are far, far more often attracted to women. Likewise, the majority of gay people may have the occasional opposite-sex attraction, but they're more often attracted to their own sex. Even bisexual people, or people who identify as gay or straight but are still fluid, choose their partners based on attraction to individuals. Sexual attraction is a deeply irrational facet of our minds, and we can't rationalize ourselves into changing it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Being gay/bi/straight does not change your gender, only which one you are attracted to. You can be monogomous and be gay or bi. My wifes bi.

He means choose a gender as in choose the gender of whoever you're going to marry/be in a relationship with. Kyrie is assuming everybody is basically bisexual and thus must "choose" who they're going to date, and is saying "Well, why do most people choose to be with someone of the opposite gender? Why don't they just choose to be with someone of the same gender?"

This is a hosed up view but we've already established Kyrie has some serious hosed up issues with his sexuality due to the Church.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kyrie eleison posted:

Twelve by Pies posted:

He means choose a gender as in choose the gender of whoever you're going to marry/be in a relationship with. Kyrie is assuming everybody is basically bisexual and thus must "choose" who they're going to date, and is saying "Well, why do most people choose to be with someone of the opposite gender? Why don't they just choose to be with someone of the same gender?"

This is a hosed up view but we've already established Kyrie has some serious hosed up issues with his sexuality due to the Church.
Yeah, just date whoever you want to date, male or female. If find someone you really click with and you have a good, committed relationship with them, then go ahead and get married. (This will of course be easier to do once the US finally legalizes gay marriage nationwide, which will probably be in the year or two. Progress is awesome.)

Doesn't matter if they're male or female, as long as the two of you love each other and are happy with each other, that's your monogamous life partner. Welcome to the 21st century.:toot:

E: I hope Kyrie doesn't have me on ignore, because I'm being completely serious about all this. I hate the idea that someone is making themselves miserable for no reason, and I want to try and help if I can. Sometimes words of encouragement are all it takes.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 13, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Kyrie eleison what do you think of the pope's latest order?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://www.eyeofthetiber.com/2014/12/12/pope-francis-confirms-cats-still-going-to-hell/

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Old news

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

There needs to be a cosmic system because there needs to be a universal judge of right and wrong.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Because otherwise your "morality" is totally subjective and self-serving, based around the precept that you do nothing wrong.

This cosmic system with a universal judge of right and wrong that you admire so dearly is also man made.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Well that explains your unreasonable fear that if it's okay to be gay, it will be universalized and end the human race in one generation.

Dude, the reason most people aren't gay isn't because they secretly are but are quaking in fear of a good old lynching or eternal hellfire. As should be obvious from the example of other cultures that did not stigmatize homosexual sex yet continued to procreate. The reason most people aren't gay is that most people aren't gay.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes yes we must get all these irrational emotions and feelings and happiness nonsense out of the vitally important process of selecting a sensible and practical life mate for reproductive purposes.

I daresay it's foolish even to leave weighty matters such as this up to the flighty young things. Perhaps it's a decision best left up to their respective parents who can dispassionately select an appropriate brood stud/mare with an eye to the financial benefits, dynastic concerns, social approval, &c &c

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Kyrie eleison posted:

:psyboom: why would that even be a relevant question?

Do you understand the concept of "hey you're a great person let's enjoy being together and have wild sex" with someone who happens to be either a man or a woman?

Also if I were fanatically religious (not christian though that would suck :v:) I might call for you to be burned at the stake for being such an immoral dick but luckily I don't base my entire belief system around the imaginary words of a sociopathic sky wizard (e: this is hyperbole which i point out here so you don't go and make a strawman out of it you idiot) I just think you need to stop projecting your own issues on other people and work them out. In summary:

Berke Negri posted:

Please gently caress a dude, OP.

But most importantly feel good about yourself when you do it.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 13, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

You have to choose a person, yes. Being bisexual I don't find this difficult. I love my girlfriend and wouldn't want to be with anybody else. That's rather more important to me than the opportunity to get a good hard dicking from a big brawny man every now and then.

Are you trying to segue into the whole 'homosexuality is a choice' thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Wh...wh...what about cats?

:ohdear:

• Locked thread