Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Korra getting all the past Avatars back is another thing that would piss me off. I don't know why no one wants gently caress ups to have lasting consequences.

It was the most interesting aspect of the Avatar. I'm all for consequences if they make the character struggle more interesting, but Korra losing that aspect of being the Avatar was just a dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It was the most interesting aspect of the Avatar. I'm all for consequences if they make the character struggle more interesting, but Korra losing that aspect of being the Avatar was just a dumb idea.

Yes, this aspect they used only a handful of times. Bringing it back and thus making it happen pointless would be good now that the show is almost over.

This means that yes they're going to do it.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Yes, this aspect they used only a handful of times. Bringing it back and thus making it happen pointless would be good now that the show is almost over.

This means that yes they're going to do it.

Yes, they used it a handful of times. But consider how they used it. In ATLA, Aang having a connection to his past lives allowed for a lot of world building and exposition. It was actually a pretty great vehicle for storytelling

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Which is pretty unnecessary at this point, let's face it.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Well drat. Watching Pacific Rim last weekend really paid off. I hope that thing has elbow rockets when Korra inevitably makes a Spirit Voltron to wrassle with it.

Today, we're cancelling the apocalypse! :clint:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Next episode clip.

Looks like an upswing in animation detail for the last two eps, at least; I have to admit I was a bit worried. :v:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
ahahaha that giant lanky mech

This loving show lmao

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Next episode clip.

Looks like an upswing in animation detail for the last two eps, at least; I have to admit I was a bit worried. :v:

Pretty heroic of Bataar Jr. to shield everyone else with his body.

Just kidding, this looks awesome and I can't wait.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Is there another show that's said "take out/down" more than this one.

In that preview clip alone I lost count.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
why did it have to be mounted on a ridiculous super mech??? why???... also, lol at bumi and tenzen in spandex :P

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vanderdeath posted:

Not gonna lie, the Colossus being a steampunk Jet Alone kinda owns.

Quoting this because it's true.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
Anyone surprised by the appearance of a giant robot clearly hasn't read the thread title.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ApeHawk posted:

loving CALLED it.

Badass episode, though!

lol sucks to be this poster

quote:

That sounds pretty horrible and would sour me on this season a lot.

Episode rules, giant kung-fu mechs with hyperbeams rule, this show rules.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HoneyBoy posted:

Is there another show that's said "take out/down" more than this one.

In that preview clip alone I lost count.

Yeah I don't get it. It's is like some kind of bizarre 1984 logic to it, "we can have murder and genocide as long as no one EVER refers to it as such". I do not understand modern censorship :psyduck:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I don't get it. It's is like some kind of bizarre 1984 logic to it, "we can have murder and genocide as long as no one EVER refers to it as such". I do not understand modern censorship :psyduck:

No man, those guys in that border outpost that got nuked are all fine. And P'Li, Ghazan and Ming-Hua? On a sabbatical.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Then one's Varrick and Zhu-li, the other is Asami and...Pabu?
Varrick is useless as a pilot, remember the last time? He shot his own allies!

If Hiroshi doesn't come back and Baatar Jr. doesn't wake up, it will have to be Asami and Zhu Li. If Hiroshi and Baatar are there, it will be Hiroshi / Asami and Baatar / Zhu Li.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bataar Jr is a dumb as hell name for an antagonist, incidentally
It sounds like the french for "bastard", so I guess for me, it fits :) . Although I understand it means "hero" or something like that in another language.

Killer robot posted:

Something always made me think of him as the Avatar world's Rusty Venture.
He's too motivated and driven to be a Rusty.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Maybe they made a giant mech because giant things that can wreck everyone's poo poo are already a thing in Avater-verse, usually its because the Avatar has gone full godzilla. So a giant mech slowly walking towards a place with enough power to wipe it off the map is more Kiruva ego tripping and making her own avatar-state thing of mass destruction.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Maybe they made a giant mech because giant things that can wreck everyone's poo poo are already a thing in Avater-verse, usually its because the Avatar has gone full godzilla. So a giant mech slowly walking towards a place with enough power to wipe it off the map is more Kiruva ego tripping and making her own avatar-state thing of mass destruction.

Yeah its not as if giant war machines are a new thing in the Avatar universe. The Fire Nations giant drill thing in A:TlA was at least as large as Kuviras Metal Gear Dubstep.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Megaspirit? Korrazilla? Warmech?

There's one person this can all be traced back to.

Blame Aang.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

I don't think he's wrong, though. That reconciliation is such a Chekhov's gun that I could totally buy Sato coming in and finding a way to kick the KuviraEva's rear end.

Plus they had Asami mention him again in the reunion episode, so it doesn't seem like that one episode was a one-off.

Oh God, I really am a Hiroshi Sato parachute account.

BrianWilly posted:

Next episode clip.

I am deeply in love with the Colossus. Like, seriously. Too bad it's probably going to be destroyed next episode.

X_Toad posted:

Varrick is useless as a pilot, remember the last time? He shot his own allies!

If Hiroshi doesn't come back and Baatar Jr. doesn't wake up, it will have to be Asami and Zhu Li. If Hiroshi and Baatar are there, it will be Hiroshi / Asami and Baatar / Zhu Li.

Oh, but how else will Varrick grow to appreciate Zhu Li as an equal? He'll initially try to take the lead, they'll fail because he's a useless pilot, then Zhu Li will make an angry speech about how he has to trust her and let her take the lead, he'll do so, and they score a major hit. Then they kiss.

And Baatar is too injured from that preview to pilot effectively. I don't think it'll be him. I do like the idea of Pabu piloting though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

G Gundam is way dumber than I remember it being.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Ugh. The only way this mess can be redeemed is if the finale includes Bataar searching his soul and concluding that, yes, killing him alongside the bulk of the enemy leadership would have in fact been worth it if it had worked. Pleeease let there be at least one interesting character before it all ends.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

this allusion meant posted:

Ugh. The only way this mess can be redeemed is if the finale includes Bataar searching his soul and concluding that, yes, killing him alongside the bulk of the enemy leadership would have in fact been worth it if it had worked. Pleeease let there be at least one interesting character before it all ends.

Bataar Jr's clearly the kind of guy who values personal relationships above achieving political victories. Making him discard all that to be like "yeah, no Kuvira, I totally am not mad you tried to kill me even after how much I've been loyal to you/loved you" would be beyond stupid.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Bataar Jr's clearly the kind of guy who values personal relationships above achieving political victories. Making him discard all that to be like "yeah, no Kuvira, I totally am not mad you tried to kill me even after how much I've been loyal to you/loved you" would be beyond stupid.
Why is he clearly that kind of guy? Aside from this episode literally everything else up to this point suggested the opposite. Unless the show is actually suggesting that this whole thing happened because he was mad about the Junior thing.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
Like, clearly he's serious about Kuvira, and this is definitely something to break up over. But honestly, are we meant to believe that there are precisely zero True Believers in the cause among the central leadership? How ridiculous. This isn't a story about fighting a terrifying popular dictator anymore, it's a story about breaking up a minor crime gang made up of teens and led by the only twenty-something with the emotional intelligence to perform basic manipulations.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
You guys are crazy, she was sad that she lost a valuable resource, she didn't love him. They zoomed in on her face when they hugged earlier and it was meant to seem suspicious too, typically hugging or kissing and then opening your eyes is a sign of deception in shows. She said what she did to keep them in place while she moved in for the kill, if she was like nah gently caress that I'm coming to kill you they'd have moved, obviously. She was using him the entire time, and this entire plot is about her being power hungry and deceptive, she uses everyone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Akumos posted:

You guys are crazy, she was sad that she lost a valuable resource, she didn't love him. They zoomed in on her face when they hugged earlier and it was meant to seem suspicious too, typically hugging or kissing and then opening your eyes is a sign of deception in shows. She said what she did to keep them in place while she moved in for the kill, if she was like nah gently caress that I'm coming to kill you they'd have moved, obviously. She was using him the entire time, and this entire plot is about her being power hungry and deceptive, she uses everyone.

It's very possible this is true. I also really hope it's not, because that would just mean Kuvira is yet another 2D villain who's power hungry for the sake of it and has no really emotional attachments to anyone. I still really want there to be a reason for what Kuvira's doing beyond her tripping on power Ozai 2.0 style. Someone mentioned a page or so back an interesting idea of her having experienced a lot of horror & having to make hard choices for the greater good during the early days of her reconstruction efforts, and that those experiences shifted her into full Hobbes territory of believing people need an iron fist to rule them for their own good. But I'm skeptical they'd be able to pull anything like that off in the 40 remaining minute of this series.

nutranurse posted:

I don't really get that vibe from him. Sure he loves Kuvira and values her over her ideals, but in that same scene he also scorned his mother's genuine apology & attempt to reconcile whatever had caused their rift. If anything he seems like the kind of guy who's willing to cut ties with his entire family over something as petty as an implied inferiority complex towards his father.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The most recent episode had a lot of conspicuous budget-saving techniques - the evacuation montages are the main offender - so it's clear they were saving up for the finale. I'm excited.

This show has always needed longer seasons.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Sydin posted:

I don't really get that vibe from him. Sure he loves Kuvira and values her over her ideals, but in that same scene he also scorned his mother's genuine apology & attempt to reconcile whatever had caused their rift. If anything he seems like the kind of guy who's willing to cut ties with his entire family over something as petty as an implied inferiority complex towards his father.

I would argue that Bataar rebuffing his mum's attempt to reconcile was him remaining personally loyal to Kuvria, not because he scorns affection in general (heck, I'd say it's an example of him being very swayed by personal loyalties because he's so into Kuvira that his mum's genuine apology fell on deaf ears). The inferiority complex stuff is worth pointing out, though, I had entirely forgotten that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

This show has always needed longer seasons.
See, I think we've been wrong about that all along. It's needed longer episodes. And yes, there's a difference. As much as the age of binge-watching has made episodes of serialized entertainment flow together for the viewer, from a production standpoint, that's not how writing and pacing work. You don't cut a scene in Episode X so you can spend more time on a scene in Episode Y, because 1. That means the ending of X is now the beginning of Y, which will offset everything, and 2. For network TV/basic cable, that's not how act breaks work.
Of course, considering the production quality of Korra, along with its complete lack of profitability, there was never any way in hell we were going to be seeing 44-minute episodes.

Hopefully Mike and Bryan find work on their inevitable next project to be less restrictive.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Speaking of which, I read somewhere that the last two episodes are slightly longer than the rest, maybe by one or two minutes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

Speaking of which, I read somewhere that the last two episodes are slightly longer than the rest, maybe by one or two minutes.

Unless that extra 90 seconds or so is just FBI warnings or something, this would seem to be the case.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I have but one wish.

The word "Stand" in "The Last Stand" refers to how, in the final episode, Korra strikes a fabulous pose and Raava pops out to ORA ORA ORA the giant mech to pieces.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Akumos posted:

It was the other way around - she closed her eyes when they hugged, which is generally the body language for relaxing and getting comfortable. Given that she's an iron-fisted dictator with a giant rod up her rear end, that's a really rare and important demonstration of trust, and the fact that Bataar couldn't see it made it genuine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It was the other way around - she closed her eyes when they hugged, which is generally the body language for relaxing and getting comfortable. Given that she's an iron-fisted dictator with a giant rod up her rear end, that's a really rare and important demonstration of trust, and the fact that Bataar couldn't see it made it genuine.

Also the closing her eyes and steeling herself after effectively ordering his death.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Also the closing her eyes and steeling herself after effectively ordering his death.
I'll enjoy it if there's a moment where she tries to convince Bataar that no she totally knew he'd survive it was all part of her plan.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I have but one wish.

The word "Stand" in "The Last Stand" refers to how, in the final episode, Korra strikes a fabulous pose and Raava pops out to ORA ORA ORA the giant mech to pieces.

At the last second, Toph arrives...

ZA WARUDO!!!

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I guess I'm the only one who is reminded of The King and the Mockingbird with this giant metal Colossus. If Kuvira gets blown away to oblivion, then Bryke will have gone to the original source of anime inspiration. Seriously, without Paul Grimault, Studio Ghibli wouldn't have been what it is...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I hope Bataar Jr. is dead and doesn't help defeat Kuvira, because he doesn't even have the courage to be a proper tyrant.
Actually it's because I want Korra and company to have to figure out it's weakpoints (its the joints. it's always the joints.). Plus if Bataar Jr is dead then nobody else knows how to or wants to fix the superweapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
The weak point of that colossus is rather obvious : it's the head. The pilot is in there and some parts of it are glass rather than steel. Korra needs to pull off a Dipper Pine or a Wazdakka Gutsmek, jump from the top of that bridge and crash through the glass and into the cockpit.

• Locked thread