Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

ANIME AKBAR posted:

gently caress. There's something about acid attacks that just gets to me, like they're uniquely malicious and spiteful. I had only ever heard of it happening to women who violate Sharia law, though?
Then you need to read more, because it's really loving common in India when the pretty Hindu girl won't sleep with some rear end in a top hat, so he decides she won't be pretty no more, and in Bangladesh, for reasons like 'her family didn't pay me enough dowry after I raped her'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ANIME AKBAR posted:

gently caress. There's something about acid attacks that just gets to me, like they're uniquely malicious and spiteful. I had only ever heard of it happening to women who violate Sharia law, though?

Its an MRA's wet dream.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Cefte posted:

Then you need to read more, because it's really loving common in India when the pretty Hindu girl won't sleep with some rear end in a top hat, so he decides she won't be pretty no more, and in Bangladesh, for reasons like 'her family didn't pay me enough dowry after I raped her'.

All the bullshit in this thread and this is what you respond to? Cefte, I am disappointed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Somebody fired 56 bullets into the Israeli embassy in Athens. No-one was hit, there was some damage to the building. Lieberman, is blaming the PA's incitement. The IDF killing a PA minister would, by itself, obviously not elicit any such response without those cunning terrorists making a thing of it. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Greece has the right to defend itself, I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

Greece has the right to defend itself, I think.

Those fools! The bullets will just goad the embassy on!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Those fools! The bullets will just goad the embassy on!

A few more bullets and the embassy would've transformed into a mobile oppression palace!!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cefte posted:

It's not like I didn't know these things, but :negative:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cefte posted:

:gonk:

That's the kind of things that make people into nihilists.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Anyone have a link to the US Army's analysis of Israel's war in 2008? I believe it came to the conclusion that the IDF wasn't as competent as it used to be.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Armyman25 posted:

Anyone have a link to the US Army's analysis of Israel's war in 2008? I believe it came to the conclusion that the IDF wasn't as competent as it used to be.

It was the war in 2006. Is this the one?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wish there was more media interest in what goes on inside the Palestinian territories beyond just repeating press releases from Israel, Fatah, and Hamas about the I/P conflict, because it seems like things are getting seriously chaotic politically in the Gaza Strip lately, and the reconstruction is an utter mess.

As most of us recall, Fatah and Gaza had agreed to unite and form a unity government covering all Palestinian territories, but the ink was barely even dry on that agreement when Israel launched Protective Edge and bombed the hell out of Gaza. But although the Israeli invasion failed to destroy Hamas, Israeli negotiators cut a deal with Abbas in which they would give Fatah control of UN-brokered Gaza reconstruction efforts and allow them (but NOT Hamas) to bring money and reconstruction materials into Gaza. Unsurprisingly, this pretty much tanked the unity government, as Abbas was basically selling Hamas down the river in exchange for getting favorable treatment from Israel in the Gaza Strip. Hamas, which had little hope of withstanding such a PR barrage, surprised everyone by resigning their role as a government entity and handing control of Gaza to the PA...in theory, anyway.

Fatah, however, has failed to take control, sending no security forces and leaving Gaza's security solely in the hands of Hamas security officers, who are very likely not being paid at all because Hamas has no money and the PA is not stepping up to pay the salaries of Gaza officials from the Hamas government. The current Prime Minister of the PA himself, Rami Hamdallah, has complained about "nervous security conditions" in Gaza and stated that Hamas is "the actual security authority in Gaza", allegations rejected by Hamas officials who say that Hamdallah should "stop avoiding his responsibilities" and "he should do his job".

Since then, the claims from both sides have been getting progressively more dramatic and, in Fatah's case, nonsensical. Abbas has claimed that Fatah has zero presence in Gaza and that Israel is secretly negotiating with Hamas, claims that the PA sent medical supplies and equipment to the Gaza Strip throughout and after Protective Edge but that none of the aid has reached the hospitals because Hamas officials have been stealing it, and that a strike among hospital janitors who haven't been paid in seven months is just an "invented" crisis "incited" by Hamas officials as a way to "blackmail" the PA. Meanwhile, Hamas has accused Fatah of blocking supplies from entering Gaza, protecting and expanding settlements, treating Hamas as "an enemy rather than a political opponent", and "taking the Palestinian cause back to square one" with politically-motivated activities like ordering a PA investigation into every single NGO in the Palestinian territories.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

I wish there was more media interest in what goes on inside the Palestinian territories beyond just repeating press releases from Israel, Fatah, and Hamas about the I/P conflict, because it seems like things are getting seriously chaotic politically in the Gaza Strip lately, and the reconstruction is an utter mess.

As most of us recall, Fatah and Gaza had agreed to unite and form a unity government covering all Palestinian territories, but the ink was barely even dry on that agreement when Israel launched Protective Edge and bombed the hell out of Gaza. But although the Israeli invasion failed to destroy Hamas, Israeli negotiators cut a deal with Abbas in which they would give Fatah control of UN-brokered Gaza reconstruction efforts and allow them (but NOT Hamas) to bring money and reconstruction materials into Gaza. Unsurprisingly, this pretty much tanked the unity government, as Abbas was basically selling Hamas down the river in exchange for getting favorable treatment from Israel in the Gaza Strip. Hamas, which had little hope of withstanding such a PR barrage, surprised everyone by resigning their role as a government entity and handing control of Gaza to the PA...in theory, anyway.

Fatah, however, has failed to take control, sending no security forces and leaving Gaza's security solely in the hands of Hamas security officers, who are very likely not being paid at all because Hamas has no money and the PA is not stepping up to pay the salaries of Gaza officials from the Hamas government. The current Prime Minister of the PA himself, Rami Hamdallah, has complained about "nervous security conditions" in Gaza and stated that Hamas is "the actual security authority in Gaza", allegations rejected by Hamas officials who say that Hamdallah should "stop avoiding his responsibilities" and "he should do his job".

Since then, the claims from both sides have been getting progressively more dramatic and, in Fatah's case, nonsensical. Abbas has claimed that Fatah has zero presence in Gaza and that Israel is secretly negotiating with Hamas, claims that the PA sent medical supplies and equipment to the Gaza Strip throughout and after Protective Edge but that none of the aid has reached the hospitals because Hamas officials have been stealing it, and that a strike among hospital janitors who haven't been paid in seven months is just an "invented" crisis "incited" by Hamas officials as a way to "blackmail" the PA. Meanwhile, Hamas has accused Fatah of blocking supplies from entering Gaza, protecting and expanding settlements, treating Hamas as "an enemy rather than a political opponent", and "taking the Palestinian cause back to square one" with politically-motivated activities like ordering a PA investigation into every single NGO in the Palestinian territories.

:smith:

:smithicide:

Is there any indication whether there is going to be any election in the Territories? They might as well time it with the Israeli elections, that would be fun.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just find it sort of difficult to be invested in the internal politics of the Palestinians when ultimately it is meaningless. They have no agency, no power over the course of the events, and no matter who comes out on top momentarily they're at the mercy of Israel. :shrug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

I just find it sort of difficult to be invested in the internal politics of the Palestinians when ultimately it is meaningless. They have no agency, no power over the course of the events, and no matter who comes out on top momentarily they're at the mercy of Israel. :shrug:

It really isn't meaningless. Palestinians have as much agency as they allow themselves; they have the power to shape their future; they have to work with regional actors if they ever wish for regional actors to work with them.

[quote="Main Paineframe"
post="438894745"]
A pro-read and informative post.
[/quote]

Thank you for that, Main Paineframe.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

They have a bit of agency, and there are maneuvers that can position them so they can take advantage of an American pivot. This whole UN stuff and getting recognized country by country is good, and consolidation power by power-sharing with Hamas leading up to an election would have really helped make them seem like somebody worth talking over the Israelis, especially now that the latter's government collapsed after two years. And a Fatah-Hamas unity government has been a long-standing demand by many in the Palestinian public who are sick of the infighting. It's really sad to see it not working, even though it's obvious that most of the spanners are being put up by Israel.

I think how they react after the days of mourning for Abu-Ein will be telling. If PA just downright stops security cooperation with Israel, a lot of settlers are going to be getting killed (with the obvious even deadlier reprisals). If somebody with a two-state outlook in Israel can use this to make Netanyahu look weak on terror, it may lead to some kind of change post-election. It's a slim chance, but I don't know, it may pan out.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It really isn't meaningless. Palestinians have as much agency as they allow themselves; they have the power to shape their future; they have to work with regional actors if they ever wish for regional actors to work with them.

This, on the other hand, is pure rubbish. They have much less agency than Israel. They can realign at the boundaries, but ultimately it's change of policy in Israel that is going to change things, and the best way for that to happen is for Obama to tell Kerry to tell Powers to abstain sans veto at the UNSC.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think how they react after the days of mourning for Abu-Ein will be telling. If PA just downright stops security cooperation with Israel, a lot of settlers are going to be getting killed (with the obvious even deadlier reprisals). If somebody with a two-state outlook in Israel can use this to make Netanyahu look weak on terror, it may lead to some kind of change post-election. It's a slim chance, but I don't know, it may pan out.

It kills the 2-state solution.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yet once again another thing that you have been repeatedly proven wrong on that you refuse to acknowledge. I'm interested, do your eyes just glaze over said posts or...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They have a bit of agency, and there are maneuvers that can position them so they can take advantage of an American pivot. This whole UN stuff and getting recognized country by country is good, and consolidation power by power-sharing with Hamas leading up to an election would have really helped make them seem like somebody worth talking over the Israelis, especially now that the latter's government collapsed after two years. And a Fatah-Hamas unity government has been a long-standing demand by many in the Palestinian public who are sick of the infighting. It's really sad to see it not working, even though it's obvious that most of the spanners are being put up by Israel.

When United States changes its position they have agency. Right now they have zero. No matter how peaceful or violent (or fractious/united) Palestinians have been in the past, Israel has never changed its methods and goals. Only ones who can make them change that are United States, either though ambivalence or active efforts.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 13, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

When United States changes its position they have agency. Right now they have zero. No matter how peaceful or violent (or fractious/united) Palestinians have been in the past, Israel has never changed its methods and goals. Only ones who can make them change that are United States, either though ambivalence or active efforts.

They do have agency. They have agency in how they position themselves for potential positive windfalls. They can't do this on their own, but they can and have taken action. You need to respect that.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It kills the 2-state solution.

Nope. If there's one thing that we've learned in the past months, it's that even establishment world opinion (excl. US) no longer views Palestinian violence as terrorism, but as reaction to the Occupation. Israel is a veto away from career-ending sanctions, and already is facing non-UNSC-action that is hitting some businesses there, especially in the agricultural sector. I am hoping that the next elections bring up somebody who, rear end in a top hat or shitbag, at least sees that. Otherwise it'll have to wait an election or two, like with the Madrid Conference.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 13, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope. If there's one thing that we've learned in the past months, it's that even establishment world opinion (ex. US) no longer views Palestinian violence as terrorism, but as reaction to the Occupation. Israel is a veto away from career-ending sanctions, and already is facing non-UNSC-action that is hitting some businesses there, especially in the agricultural sector. I am hoping that the next elections bring up somebody who, rear end in a top hat or shitbag, at least sees that. Otherwise it'll have to wait an election or two, like with the Madrid Conference.

I have no idea where you get this foolish idea. How often do you even see the word "occupation" appear in American media?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope. If there's one thing that we've learned in the past months, it's that even establishment world opinion (ex. US) no longer views Palestinian violence as terrorism, but as reaction to the Occupation. Israel is a veto away from career-ending sanctions, and already is facing non-UNSC-action that is hitting some businesses there, especially in the agricultural sector. I am hoping that the next elections bring up somebody who, rear end in a top hat or shitbag, at least sees that. Otherwise it'll have to wait an election or two, like with the Madrid Conference.

How badly is it actually effecting the Israeli economy? I thought it was all business as usual, and the usual Zionist crap is being thrown around in support of the Israelis in the US

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

I have no idea where you get this foolish idea. How often do you even see the word "occupation" appear in American media?

Reread what I wrote. Reread it good.

CommieGIR posted:

How badly is it actually effecting the Israeli economy? I thought it was all business as usual, and the usual Zionist crap is being thrown around in support of the Israelis in the US

I have contacts in the agricultural industry and they say they're really worried. Even if you stick to OT-directed-boycotts, e. g. a lot of Israeli wine is from the Golan Heights (occupied from Syria), and the Jordan Valley has a lot of choice agricultural land which is a much more honest reason for Israel wanting to retain it than the alleged security concerns. Here's a report on the OT-specific stuff. Thing is about agriculture: you can't just move the fields across the border.

ETA: Turns out it's false alarm about the embassy in Greece: authorities think it's actually a militant left-wing group rather than Palestinians. Well, I don't know if false alarm or Palestine-inspired leftist militancy is back in vogue after a long hiatus since the '70s.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 13, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:smith:

:smithicide:

Is there any indication whether there is going to be any election in the Territories? They might as well time it with the Israeli elections, that would be fun.

All election plans have been put on hold till further notice, and with the the way the political situation has been deteriorating, I don't see them happening in anytime soon. Fatah and Hamas each say that they're ready to hold elections any time if only the other party would stop stalling and delaying, but the sad truth is that neither Fatah nor Hamas are confident that they would benefit from elections right now, nor do they trust each other not to interfere with the elections. They also don't trust Israel to not interfere with the elections. Sudden movement restrictions on East Jerusalem on election day, or mass arrests of political figures and volunteers just when the campaign period hits its peak, could easily sway the course of an election. In addition, both parties fear that even if they win the election, the results won't be respected. Hamas remembers full well what happened the last time they won elections, and Fatah's total failure to take control of Gaza after Hamas' resignation isn't an encouraging sign about their ability to govern either.

DarkCrawler posted:

They may not have much agency in terms of overall relations with Israel and grand nation-building stuff, but that's not the only thing that has meaning. For example, all police and security personnel in the Gaza Strip right now have not been paid in six months or more, because Hamas is out of money and the PA is very very unwilling to pay anyone who was employed by the Hamas government, even during the unity government period. Hell, it took five months for even regular, unarmed civil service employees to get money from the PA government. That's pretty meaningful, both to the people who have been working without pay for half a year, to the families they have to feed, and to all the other people who would be harmed if all of Gaza's police or government clerks decided to go on strike the way the hospital janitors have. That's unlikely to have any massive geopolitical impact, but to the people actually caught up in these political games, it still matters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

"ex. US" meant "excepted US", not "for example, US".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

"ex. US" meant "excepted US", not "for example, US".

Yeah, if I wanted to say "for example" I would have written "e.g.", or "see". Is "excl." less ambiguous?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, if I wanted to say "for example" I would have written "e.g.", or "see". Is "excl." less ambiguous?

Definitely.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Done.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope. If there's one thing that we've learned in the past months, it's that even establishment world opinion (excl. US) no longer views Palestinian violence as terrorism, but as reaction to the Occupation. Israel is a veto away from career-ending sanctions, and already is facing non-UNSC-action that is hitting some businesses there, especially in the agricultural sector. I am hoping that the next elections bring up somebody who, rear end in a top hat or shitbag, at least sees that. Otherwise it'll have to wait an election or two, like with the Madrid Conference.

You and Darkcrawler seemed to have seized hold of the bizarre belief that the European political elite give much more of a poo poo about the I/P peace process than America does. At the extremes of possibility you could see individual EU nations recognizing Palestine as a more or less entirely hollow diplomatic gesture. There won't be real pressure placed on Israel by France or Britain or Germany. And that's a good thing because they don't have much pressure to place anyways, all it would accomplish is pushing Israeli politics even furthers to the reactionary right.

The only way there will be a real peace settlement is through the United States. Only the US has the standing and the strength to make it happen. But Bibi was particularly resistant to US pressure because he's an rear end in a top hat, and Obama wasn't willing to put any of his own credibility behind Kerry which is why his peace plan collapsed so hastily.

What Obama should but doesn't have the balls to do is to start drawing up a final arrangement on his own. Announce what the official American vision for what territorial arrangements are post-occupation. Only the US has the credibility with both actors to be listened to, and the power to force them to not ignore it. Israelis know just how crucial the US relationship is, the way Netanyahu has been loving it up is one of the strikes against him. And Abbas knows that international aid is what's keeping the PA afloat.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

The Insect Court posted:

You and Darkcrawler seemed to have seized hold of the bizarre belief that the European political elite give much more of a poo poo about the I/P peace process than America does.

Yeah, that's it. There just needs to be a reasonable plan. It's not that Israel is absolutely committed to subverting the process at every opportunity, slowly stealing more land, until the Palestinians don't have any land anymore.

Thanks, Obama!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

You and Darkcrawler seemed to have seized hold of the bizarre belief that the European political elite give much more of a poo poo about the I/P peace process than America does. At the extremes of possibility you could see individual EU nations recognizing Palestine as a more or less entirely hollow diplomatic gesture. There won't be real pressure placed on Israel by France or Britain or Germany. And that's a good thing because they don't have much pressure to place anyways, all it would accomplish is pushing Israeli politics even furthers to the reactionary right.

No, what is pushing Israel to the reactionary right is the fact that right-wing policies are working: settlements expand, and suppressive military action against Palestinian resistance is given blanket support. The price of occupation is minimal. Meanwhile, a recognition of Palestine and settlement-targeted sanctions make the settlements into a more and more toxic investment. That is a good thing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

The only way there will be a real peace settlement is through the United States. Only the US has the standing and the strength to make it happen. But Bibi was particularly resistant to US pressure because he's an rear end in a top hat, and Obama wasn't willing to put any of his own credibility behind Kerry which is why his peace plan collapsed so hastily.

What Obama should but doesn't have the balls to do is to start drawing up a final arrangement on his own. Announce what the official American vision for what territorial arrangements are post-occupation. Only the US has the credibility with both actors to be listened to, and the power to force them to not ignore it. Israelis know just how crucial the US relationship is, the way Netanyahu has been loving it up is one of the strikes against him. And Abbas knows that international aid is what's keeping the PA afloat.

It's not that they give much more of a poo poo. They give less. United States gives a shitload of poo poo about the conflict, just in an incredibly one-sided way, hence funding Israel, vetoing votes against it in UN, and rabidly supporting it in everything it does in internal politics. US needs to give less crap, not more. Ambivalence on its part would be enough to solve the conflict.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 13, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The European stuff is pretty much just a symbolic gesture, yeah. But it lays the ground for dealing with a potential Palestinian state in the future, intentionally or not. Sure this isn't likely to happen until the States or Israel changes course.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ok, I said I'll do this so let's start, I probably won't get all parties in one post either way.

Likud
Established: 1973 by literal terrorist Menahem Begin.

Likud is a merger of Herut and some other right wing parties, it is the first right wing party to have one the elections this was back in 1977, up until that point every single PM was elected from Avoda or its predecessor Mapai (Israeli Laborer Party). Herut was also founded by Begin who was one of the commanders of the Irgun, a terrorist organization. In a famous letter written by Albert Einstein and other prominent Jewish Zionist thinkers Herut was dubbed as a "Fascist, Nazi and Terrorist" party. Despite all this the original ideological foundation of the party was based on the writings of Ze'ev Jabotinsky, whom many consider to be the spiritual founder of the party, and he was surprisingly liberal, while he did believe that the foundation of Israel will not be possible other than through the application of superior force he did state that once the country is established it will have to integrate its non-Jewish population and respect their traditions as otherwise it will never achieve political stability and regional acceptance.

So, while Begin was indeed a terrorist he was also the first and only prime minister to have exchanged occupied territories for peace agreements and the party's history is not all as dark and racist as it is today.

I guess that the modern era of Likud can really be characterized as the Netanyahu era, Bibi was always a lightning rod in Israeli politics, considered to be eloquent and charismatic, his father was a prominent figure in Jabotinsky's movement and his brother Jonathan Netanyahu is the only casualty of Operation Entebbe, where he commander of the elite commando unit who infiltrated the Entebbe airfield and successfully released the Israeli and Jewish hostages. Netanyahu really started becoming one of the leaders of Likud when he was publicly very vocal in his opposition to the Oslo Accords and Rabin's administration in general. Rabin was succeeded after his assassination by his No. 2 at the time Shimon Peres, who lost the 1996 elections to Netanyahu who short of a few years where the Likud was led by Sharon (who went to form his own party the now inexistant "Kadima" in 2005) has been the undisputed leader of Likud ever since.

So after a decade and a half of Bibi being at the helm the Likud now is a festering poo poo hole, no traces of its liberal origins remain and those few remaining of the 'old guard' are being chased out of the party dubbed as "leftists" and "dinosaurs" . Somewhat ironically, many polls show that Bibi himself isn't as omnipotent within the Likud movement as he used to be, there are apparently many who've grown tired with his leadership and based on their voting habits (within the Likud primaries) they favor candidates who are a lot more right wing than Bibi.

Notable shitheads:
Moshe Feiglin - of "Concentrate" and "exterminate" fame.
Miri Regev - former IDF spokesperson, of "The Sudanese are a cancer in the body of Israel" fame.
Yariv Levin - of "the IDF ought to level entire neighborhoods in Gaza" fame.

and so on and so on.

Avoda aka Israeli Labor Party
Founded in 1968 but essentially existed beforehand as Mapai since 1948, its historical founder is of course the architect of the Nakba David Ben-Gurion, many people view Avoda as this dovish 'reasonable' party and long for those days Rabin was in charge and everything was going to be peachy any day now. That's of course all bullshit, Avoda administrations have been at the helm during the majority of Israel's wars of aggression, Avoda (with Rabin as the IDF chief of staff btw) launched the 1967 offensive where the West Bank and Gaza were fist occupied, Avoda built the first settlements in the West Bank (some say it was Shimon Peres' doing), Avoda tried to conquer Sinai in 1956 and as I already noted, it was Ben Gurion and the future Mapai leadership who ordered the Hagana to ethnically cleanse palestine in 1948.

The last time Avoda was in charge was for a year or so after the 1999 election where Ehud Barak was prime minister and withdrew IDF forces from Lebanon after nearly two decades of occupation, this didn't go too well with the Israel public who dubbed him Ehud "Barah" (who ran away) and soon the Knesset was disbanded where Sharon, still in Likud, was elected in his stead. Ever since then Avoda couldn't mount a significant challenge and was relegated to the opposition.

In the current elections Avoda will be running in a joint list with "Hatnua" Tzipi Livni's party, the polls predict they have a chance to be the largest party together with 22 seats, however, the center-left block will still be significantly smaller than the right block, so even if this joint list will take the most seats Bibi will still be the prime minister and they still won't have much power to do anything.

I'd also like to note that during "Protective Edge" no prominent Avoda member spoke against the operation or the IDF's brutality, so there's that, Livni of course was a part of the administration and was also a member of Olmert's "Kadima" during Cast Lead, so she can basically gently caress herself.

People who think Herzog and Avoda can turn the tide are a lot more optimistic than me.

Hmm... that's it for now I think, next time I guess "Habait Hayehudi" and "Yisrael Beitenu"? Maybe also Meretz.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The last time Avoda was in charge was for a year or so after the 1999 election where Ehud Barak was prime minister and withdrew IDF forces from Lebanon after nearly two decades of occupation, this didn't go too well with the Israel public who dubbed him Ehud "Barah" (who ran away)
Yeah, that's definitely why he got that nickname.

And of course the problem with the withdrawal from Lebanon was that the Israeli public loooooooooooves occupation in all its forms, not that it was a hugely incompetent clusterfuck.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, that's definitely why he got that nickname.

And of course the problem with the withdrawal from Lebanon was that the Israeli public loooooooooooves occupation in all its forms, not that it was a hugely incompetent clusterfuck.

Thanks for the correction, top notch snark as well.

And all the evidence demonstrates that Israelis love occupying territories, can you deny this?

Also, are you gonna buy me that plat upgrade or not?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Thanks for the correction, top notch snark as well.

And all the evidence demonstrates that Israelis love occupying territories, can you deny this?
Happy to be of service for all your "yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but on the other hand Аувнл" needs.

quote:

No, but I'm waiting for you to buy me one :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ok, I said I'll do this so let's start, I probably won't get all parties in one post either way.

Likud
Established: 1973 by literal terrorist Menahem Begin.

Likud is a merger of Herut and some other right wing parties, it is the first right wing party to have one the elections this was back in 1977, up until that point every single PM was elected from Avoda or its predecessor Mapai (Israeli Laborer Party). Herut was also founded by Begin who was one of the commanders of the Irgun, a terrorist organization. In a famous letter written by Albert Einstein and other prominent Jewish Zionist thinkers Herut was dubbed as a "Fascist, Nazi and Terrorist" party. Despite all this the original ideological foundation of the party was based on the writings of Ze'ev Jabotinsky, whom many consider to be the spiritual founder of the party, and he was surprisingly liberal, while he did believe that the foundation of Israel will not be possible other than through the application of superior force he did state that once the country is established it will have to integrate its non-Jewish population and respect their traditions as otherwise it will never achieve political stability and regional acceptance.

So, while Begin was indeed a terrorist he was also the first and only prime minister to have exchanged occupied territories for peace agreements and the party's history is not all as dark and racist as it is today.

I guess that the modern era of Likud can really be characterized as the Netanyahu era, Bibi was always a lightning rod in Israeli politics, considered to be eloquent and charismatic, his father was a prominent figure in Jabotinsky's movement and his brother Jonathan Netanyahu is the only casualty of Operation Entebbe, where he commander of the elite commando unit who infiltrated the Entebbe airfield and successfully released the Israeli and Jewish hostages. Netanyahu really started becoming one of the leaders of Likud when he was publicly very vocal in his opposition to the Oslo Accords and Rabin's administration in general. Rabin was succeeded after his assassination by his No. 2 at the time Shimon Peres, who lost the 1996 elections to Netanyahu who short of a few years where the Likud was led by Sharon (who went to form his own party the now inexistant "Kadima" in 2005) has been the undisputed leader of Likud ever since.

So after a decade and a half of Bibi being at the helm the Likud now is a festering poo poo hole, no traces of its liberal origins remain and those few remaining of the 'old guard' are being chased out of the party dubbed as "leftists" and "dinosaurs" . Somewhat ironically, many polls show that Bibi himself isn't as omnipotent within the Likud movement as he used to be, there are apparently many who've grown tired with his leadership and based on their voting habits (within the Likud primaries) they favor candidates who are a lot more right wing than Bibi.

Notable shitheads:
Moshe Feiglin - of "Concentrate" and "exterminate" fame.
Miri Regev - former IDF spokesperson, of "The Sudanese are a cancer in the body of Israel" fame.
Yariv Levin - of "the IDF ought to level entire neighborhoods in Gaza" fame.

and so on and so on.

Avoda aka Israeli Labor Party
Founded in 1968 but essentially existed beforehand as Mapai since 1948, its historical founder is of course the architect of the Nakba David Ben-Gurion, many people view Avoda as this dovish 'reasonable' party and long for those days Rabin was in charge and everything was going to be peachy any day now. That's of course all bullshit, Avoda administrations have been at the helm during the majority of Israel's wars of aggression, Avoda (with Rabin as the IDF chief of staff btw) launched the 1967 offensive where the West Bank and Gaza were fist occupied, Avoda built the first settlements in the West Bank (some say it was Shimon Peres' doing), Avoda tried to conquer Sinai in 1956 and as I already noted, it was Ben Gurion and the future Mapai leadership who ordered the Hagana to ethnically cleanse palestine in 1948.

The last time Avoda was in charge was for a year or so after the 1999 election where Ehud Barak was prime minister and withdrew IDF forces from Lebanon after nearly two decades of occupation, this didn't go too well with the Israel public who dubbed him Ehud "Barah" (who ran away) and soon the Knesset was disbanded where Sharon, still in Likud, was elected in his stead. Ever since then Avoda couldn't mount a significant challenge and was relegated to the opposition.

In the current elections Avoda will be running in a joint list with "Hatnua" Tzipi Livni's party, the polls predict they have a chance to be the largest party together with 22 seats, however, the center-left block will still be significantly smaller than the right block, so even if this joint list will take the most seats Bibi will still be the prime minister and they still won't have much power to do anything.

I'd also like to note that during "Protective Edge" no prominent Avoda member spoke against the operation or the IDF's brutality, so there's that, Livni of course was a part of the administration and was also a member of Olmert's "Kadima" during Cast Lead, so she can basically gently caress herself.

People who think Herzog and Avoda can turn the tide are a lot more optimistic than me.

Hmm... that's it for now I think, next time I guess "Habait Hayehudi" and "Yisrael Beitenu"? Maybe also Meretz.

With Likud, you're missing that Irgun was disbanded in 1948, so Begin wasn't an active terrorist since then; instead, he was a populist orator, who rose to power, among other things, by catering to the relatively disenfranchised Mizrahi voters who were sick of Mapai paternalism.

With Mapai, I think you are misjudging why Barak was ousted: clusterfuck or no, I think people were happy with no longer occupying Southern Lebanon (and notice that no settlements were ever established there, unlike in the West Bank, Gaza, and Sinai); instead, it was his failure to stop the Second Intifada and the botched negotiations that were going nowhere that led to him being replaced by Sharon in a snap election.

Also, Mapai predates Israel: it was founded in 1930 and dominated Yishuv politics, which is how it came to dominate Israel politics until Begin came to power.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Xander77 posted:

Hey, I also committed to this bet. It was originally about whether that Chabad house attacker yelled "kill all the Jews" or not. Could somebody not involved in the bet adjudicate whether emanresu won or lost that one?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Abbas posted:

Bibi posted:

Gentlemen, this is the I/P thread, not the I/I thread!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gentlemen, this is the I/P thread, not the I/I thread!

You could solve this problem by buying everyone plat off of your expense account, but choose not to, instead acting as a useless, partisan mediator. So a really good analogy, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You could solve this problem by buying everyone plat off of your expense account, but choose not to, instead acting as a useless, partisan mediator. So a really good analogy, actually.

I don't see you stepping up and buying them plat. You make that first step, and then we can discuss archives.

• Locked thread