Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I was trying to cheese the Meat Boy achievement with the BASE MENT seed and the Monster Manual. It didn't work or I didn't understand how to do it, but I did discover my favorite synergy thus far: Soy Milk, Dr. Fetus and Pyromaniac.

https://gfycat.com/HollowHarmoniousBighorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it (basement) works if you're not patched yet. I did it on the ps4 today because i guess we don't deserve a patch. Used plug, pyro and a bunch of normal bombs. Don't pick up bomb modifiers, 9 volt or isaacs heart. Had to restart a 1 hour run becausr of those

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
40+ Maggie runs and I get 1 DMG up between item and bosses on the first floor. Like a handful of range up, no tear up, etc.

Like, can ya kinda gently caress off, game? At this point I want a mod that's going to let me get a decent first floor item and want to continue the run not just hold R for an hour hoping for RNG to not completely gently caress me over. I don't need max dmg runs but I want to not fight regenerating Hives who break into spitting flies that I have to deal with but never get the time to clear off the Hive before it reforms.

The item pool at this point kills more runs than the game itself. At least in the original you'd see more positive items early on.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

So, to create a Monster Manuel loop for Meat Boy, you need the Manuel, the Sharp Plug, and some way of generating infinite life? Are Pyromaniac + Dr. Fetus or 2 Jera Runes with Lovers/Heirophant the only sensible combos?

I did it with the Wafer instead of infinite life. The Wafer turns all damage into a half heart, including Sharp Plug. It didn't hurt that I was looking for Godhead at the same time, so I was constantly rerolling Angel Rooms.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alabaster White posted:

So, to create a Monster Manuel loop for Meat Boy, you need the Manuel, the Sharp Plug, and some way of generating infinite life? Are Pyromaniac + Dr. Fetus or 2 Jera Runes with Lovers/Heirophant the only sensible combos?

You mainly just need some version of infinite energy. Another infinite life charger that does require more hits would be the habit. Also, an abundance of Jera runs (or Jera + blank card) mixed with some batteries and/or 48 hour energy pills should provide all the energy you need.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alabaster White posted:

Placenta's the easiest. :getin:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Crotch Bat posted:

40+ Maggie runs and I get 1 DMG up between item and bosses on the first floor. Like a handful of range up, no tear up, etc.

Like, can ya kinda gently caress off, game? At this point I want a mod that's going to let me get a decent first floor item and want to continue the run not just hold R for an hour hoping for RNG to not completely gently caress me over. I don't need max dmg runs but I want to not fight regenerating Hives who break into spitting flies that I have to deal with but never get the time to clear off the Hive before it reforms.

The item pool at this point kills more runs than the game itself. At least in the original you'd see more positive items early on.

Yeah I have had the worst luck with Maggie. Probably 1/10 runs actually gets a decent item that even gives me a chance of getting into the lategame.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This is exactly what I think Brimstone + Dr. Fetus should do, but with bombs instead of knives. Instead I think it doesn't do anything.

Brimstone + Dr. Fetus makes you fire out bombs way faster than otherwise if you hold the fire button down, but unless you have Pyromaniac it's irritating because bombs will detonate and shoot other ones back at you. I got that combo once and I just had to tap to shoot, which was irritating.

Logan 5 posted:

FMF0 4WXN

Sometimes the game just wants you to win via overkill I guess.

Which I guess I have time for now:

I'm a couple of Cain runs away from being able to do this, I died with like two hits left on The Lamb on hard with a goofy-rear end 20/20/Soy Milk/Cricket's Body/Lump of Coal run. That fucker's just so boring now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Pyromaniac works with Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus/Ipecac + if you get Pyro you can probably at least get Placenta or something to get you the rest of the way through.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Crotch Bat posted:

Pro tip, items drop on floors other than the first one.

You win with Maggie by getting a good devil deal, which can't even happen on the first floor anyway.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

TheModernAmerican posted:

You win with Maggie by getting a good devil deal, which can't even happen on the first floor anyway.

Clearly the answer is to reset until you get a floor 1 library with book of belial or find a goat head in a gold chest on the first floor!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am all for restarting if you get a truly lovely item on the first floor that will either a) cause you to accidentally kill yourself in the early game or b) will have virtually no use to you since you're only on floor 1, but restarting EVERY time until you get one of the few specific items you want is a pretty awful way to play the game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

CJacobs posted:

I am all for restarting if you get a truly lovely item on the first floor that will either a) cause you to accidentally kill yourself in the early game or b) will have virtually no use to you since you're only on floor 1, but restarting EVERY time until you get one of the few specific items you want is a pretty awful way to play the game.

Out of 80+ items I bet I had 3 or 4 that actually changed primary stats(my boss pool luck was astoundingly bad). I'm not doing HM Maggie Chest runs for an hour because oh I can't wait to challenge myself to beating ??? with minimum damage and speed. I know I can do it, it's not a question I need answered.

And really, as was said, this was mostly about Maggie. She really does draw the worst items and this goes back to the original when if you made a full clear you'd probably get anywhere from 4-5 health up items along the way. You'd end up with 10hp and the same damage and speed you started with on the first floor.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

I played all my Maggie runs through to at least the heart and almost never got any damage items. Maybe its coincidence, I think its something with the character.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Ugh just spent 45 minutes getting the last of the treasure room items I needed by just restarting until I got a treasure room on the first room.

Now all I need is Transcendence, Trinity Shield and Sacred Heart. This poo poo is going to take forever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It would probably be a lot more fun to go for a game-breaking chest run.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cheekio posted:

Can you quit and resume a challenge half way through?

Yes.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Beans is such a terrible challenge. It's so boring, and you'll burn through your bomb supply fast if you want to get through it fast and keep running into damage sponge bosses. The Bean couldn't had a faster recharge time? Or you could've had the Battery to help with that? Or not be blindfolded?

You do have the battery. The Bean is normally a 1 room recharge.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm a couple of Cain runs away from being able to do this, I died with like two hits left on The Lamb on hard with a goofy-rear end 20/20/Soy Milk/Cricket's Body/Lump of Coal run. That fucker's just so boring now.

Does 20/20 do anything with soy milk? I stopped picking up soy milk agaes ago so idek.

Protip: if you have a strength card, dont use it on the boss room. Save it for the devil deal instead, where the extra red heart container it temporarily gives you can be used to buy more devil things :devil:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've finally beaten The Lamb with Azazel (hate that character, hate brimstone) :toot:. Now I've done every boss on every character except The Lost on normal mode. Only thing left is the boss rushes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Logan 5 posted:

Does 20/20 do anything with soy milk? I stopped picking up soy milk agaes ago so idek.

Protip: if you have a strength card, dont use it on the boss room. Save it for the devil deal instead, where the extra red heart container it temporarily gives you can be used to buy more devil things :devil:

I don't know if it still works this way or not, but in the original cheating the devil would give you a debt, so that picking up a life up wouldn't give you another heart container.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't know if it still works this way or not, but in the original cheating the devil would give you a debt, so that picking up a life up wouldn't give you another heart container.

There is no HP debt in Rebirth. Hooray!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you still use seeds to unlock the lost?

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you still use seeds to unlock the lost?

Yes for the first three stages, just go seedless for Azazel since that will allow the unlock to happen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, there's two runs of the BASE MENT seed where I've gone through every item with no Monster Manual. Even tried rerolling with dice rooms but nothing. gently caress you Meat Boy, even when I cheat you still refuse to show up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Just ruined a boss rush on cain. Don't ever, ever , ever combine tiny planet and monstro's lung. Unless you already have ipecac. I googled it and said "well I don't have ipecac but I'm sure it'll be just as cool as in the video and I won't even blow the gently caress up if I miss" no, no it goes not even a full revolution. You can't hit anything ever again. You're running around the boss rush throwing the red flame candle at the slower bosses and that's all you can do until the room is full of red poo poo and you die.

I was doing so good. I would have beat that boss rush easy. Penetrative shots and tiny planet and good damage. I was golden. Monstro's lung and now my damage zone is one millimeter behind my left and right hips. Ugh.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Does anyone else ever find themselves bombing for the secret room even after you've already found it?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

drunken officeparty posted:

Does anyone else ever find themselves bombing for the secret room even after you've already found it?

Frequently. This is because I'm an idiot, you're not alone.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I killed It Lives with the Bible last night, didn't realise I hadn't taken any damage in the floor, but the game showed the Mama's boy unlock, but no Steam pop-up. So two questions, firstly are these achievements bugged at all, and also what number secret is Mama's boy in the in-game secrets screen, so I can see if I really got it or not?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

chippy posted:

what number secret is Mama's boy in the in-game secrets screen, so I can see if I really got it or not?

Forty.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Unexpected synergy news: Azazel + Tammy's Head + Taurus.

Run into room. Fire off Tammy. Instantly enter the blue flashing unicorn mode from Taurus. Kill everything and never get hit. I cleared the Chest using this, got the Dead Boy achievement. Not posting the seed, as Taurus spawned in the Chest, but I do have it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Here's a world record BoI:R speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hfUfwC98SQ

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Honestly, a speedrun using that seed is not impressive at all and not exactly the reason I watch speedruns.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I knew that was the first thing someone was going to say. It always is.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

You get two streams of Soy Milk tears.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Honestly, a speedrun using that seed is not impressive at all and not exactly the reason I watch speedruns.

If that's your opinion I don't think you could enjoy a speedrun of the game at all since the fastest method is going to be the one that gives you a combination you can brainlessly stomp through the game with.

which to be completely straight is a fair opinion and also my one but still bears mentioning that this is kind of the nature of the beast

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It's pretty cool, but a seedless run would show off the runner's skill at the game more. I imagine seeded and seedless categories will be run. Some of the fun could be hunting for an ideal seed.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

It's pretty cool, but a seedless run would show off the runner's skill at the game more.

It wouldn't, it would show off which person grinded out the most runs to get a more optimal seed by chance. Seeded and seedless basically doesn't matter, one just removes much of the randomness involved but true to form it isn't that entertaining to watch someone push space for two minutes. Old version isaac speedruns were just bombing into the secret room ad nauseum until epic fetus dropped and then bulldozing the entire game via it which is both boring to do and boring to watch, I can imagine it would be much the same in new Isaac.

isaac is not a particularly good speedrun game

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If that's your opinion I don't think you could enjoy a speedrun of the game at all since the fastest method is going to be the one that gives you a combination you can brainlessly stomp through the game with.

which to be completely straight is a fair opinion and also my one but still bears mentioning that this is kind of the nature of the beast

I think it's just that a memorized seeded run like that doesn't even look impressive--it was a matter of finding a shitstomping seed, remembering a couple of the directions you needed to go, and then just running through pressing space. And I don't know if future seeded speedruns are going to be any more fun to watch than that was, because they deviate from normal gameplay in a way that just isn't that interesting (unlike, say, glitch abuse).

I think that it's more likely we'll see unseeded speed runs as the standard, possibly with some interesting seeds set up as the equivalent of challenges. But I think purely comparing different seeds you're not gonna find much that's faster than what we just saw.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Seeded runs will be more like TAS runs. Squeezing through the door as fast as possible, charging brimstone and releasing it the frame it finishes charging, etc. Frames will start to matter on those runs, there were definitely spots in the one posted above that could have been cleaned up.

Seedless runs will be about being good and being luckier than the guy you're trying to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

It wouldn't, it would show off which person grinded out the most runs to get a more optimal seed by chance. Seeded and seedless basically doesn't matter, one just removes much of the randomness involved but true to form it isn't that entertaining to watch someone push space for two minutes. Old version isaac speedruns were just bombing into the secret room ad nauseum until epic fetus dropped and then bulldozing the entire game via it which is both boring to do and boring to watch, I can imagine it would be much the same in new Isaac.

isaac is not a particularly good speedrun game

No one takes single character "speedruns" seriously at all. It's all either 7 (10 I guess in Rebirth, b/c people are cowards) character or racing.

e: Oh wow this speedrun is really unoptimized, could probably have a better seed (no movespeed at all?) and is measured in IGT (kinda inaccurate). Not sure why this person uploaded it like this instead of working on it more.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 13, 2014