Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Brett824 posted:

No one takes single character "speedruns" seriously at all. It's all either 7 (10 I guess in Rebirth, b/c people are cowards) character or racing.

e: Oh wow this speedrun is really unoptimized, could have a better seed (no movespeed at all?) and is measured in IGT (kinda inaccurate). Not sure why this person uploaded it like this instead of working on it more.

Because ~*World Record*~

Seven Character runs were pretty entertaining actually, seeded ones could be great too, but a seed this powerful is just not interesting to watch, nor does it require much skill beyond hit Space/L2/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Brett824 posted:

No one takes single character "speedruns" seriously at all. It's all either 7 (10 I guess in Rebirth, b/c people are cowards) character or racing.

e: Oh wow this speedrun is really unoptimized, could have a better seed (no movespeed at all?) and is measured in IGT (kinda inaccurate). Not sure why this person uploaded it like this instead of working on it more.

7/10 character is also bad and dumb because now your heavily rng based speedrun doesn't even have the saving grace of being short and quick to do resets on, I know the idea is to make it so that luck evens out over the course of seven characters and skill therefore becomes more of a factor in how fast your run is but it just doesn't work that way in reality, I think the old isaac 7 char WR is some absurdly lucky bullshit because you churn enough attempts out and eventually the RNGod smiles upon thee. Racing, on the other hand, suits Rebirth really drat well because of the seeds which is loving bizarre as hell.

It's a very odd drat case where imo the game basically doesn't work at all as a competitive speedgame but works really well as a race game.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

7/10 character is also bad and dumb because now your heavily rng based speedrun doesn't even have the saving grace of being short and quick to do resets on, I know the idea is to make it so that luck evens out over the course of seven characters and skill therefore becomes more of a factor in how fast your run is but it just doesn't work that way in reality, I think the old isaac 7 char WR is some absurdly lucky bullshit because you churn enough attempts out and eventually the RNGod smiles upon thee. Racing, on the other hand, suits Rebirth really drat well because of the seeds which is loving bizarre as hell.

It's a very odd drat case where imo the game basically doesn't work at all as a competitive speedgame but works really well as a race game.

Obviously 7/10 is heavily RNG based but you're actually genuinely playing the game. It's not like speedruns with a lot of RNG aren't a thing that a ton of people do and enjoy!

Also seeded racing is not a thing and will probably not be a thing, because it doesn't really make any sense and has a lot of flaws.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Because levelling the playing field doesn't make any sense and has a lot of flaws.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

IGgy IGsen posted:

Because levelling the playing field doesn't make any sense and has a lot of flaws.

No, "leveling the playing field" is fine. The problem is that streams exist and would probably be the biggest conduit for racing, and being able to see what happens ahead of time on the seed makes decision making kind of boring. People tried seeded racing with Spidermod in the original and no one liked the standoff of watching another guys stream so you don't pick the wrong way to go on a map (or decisions like taking/rerolling items, or when to use bombs/keys, or etc)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just died as Azazel doing the last part to unlock The Lost. Do I have to start all over :negative:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Brett824 posted:

No, "leveling the playing field" is fine. The problem is that streams exist and would probably be the biggest conduit for racing, and being able to see what happens ahead of time on the seed makes decision making kind of boring. People tried seeded racing with Spidermod in the original and no one liked the standoff of watching another guys stream so you don't pick the wrong way to go on a map (or decisions like taking/rerolling items, or when to use bombs/keys, or etc)

I....didn't think of that, actually.

i mean the solution is to just not be a fucker about it when playing but since it's hard to make people not be terrible I guess Isaac just doesn't work for anything! Alright, everyone pack up and go home isaac confirmed for terrible race game, speed game and general game.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Brett824 posted:

Uh... the point of a race is to do it at the same time and record it.
I'm thinking more of races such as this.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If I want to do a boss rush most of all, but there's an angel room here, if I go to the angel room and come back will the boss rush door disappear? I would like some soul hearts or whatever but I absolutely do not want to lose the boss rush door.

e: the wiki was encouraging and I got... item martyr. My item is a portable blood bank. Yay? I got the boss rush, third time's the charm...

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

Uh... the point of a race is to do it at the same time and record it.
I'm thinking more of races such as this.

Yeah, we're talking races in the context of this. Which is where the actual speedrun community does it stuff, people all stream their stuff simultaneously so you can actually see what other people are doing. This normally isn't a big deal, but it is with Isaac because the game is more luck than mechanical skill.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, we're talking races in the context of this. Which is where the actual speedrun community does it stuff, people all stream their stuff simultaneously so you can actually see what other people are doing. This normally isn't a big deal, but it is with Isaac because the game is more luck than mechanical skill.

Isaac certainly isn't more luck than mechanical skill, otherwise racing in the original wouldn't have had consistent winners the way it did. I'm skeptical on Rebirth still.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

drunken officeparty posted:

I just died as Azazel doing the last part to unlock The Lost. Do I have to start all over :negative:

Yes.

Krinkle posted:

If I want to do a boss rush most of all, but there's an angel room here, if I go to the angel room and come back will the boss rush door disappear? I would like some soul hearts or whatever but I absolutely do not want to lose the boss rush door.

e: the wiki was encouraging and I got... item martyr. My item is a portable blood bank. Yay? I got the boss rush, third time's the charm...

The boss rush door will stay open until it gets past 20 minutes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Krinkle posted:

Unless going into the angel/devil room takes enough time to put you over 20 minutes, no.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I really like speedrunning and I really like BoI but I don't necessarily think the two need to go together. With the exception being when a shameful neckbeard shows his entire rear end to people at AGDQ.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I mostly like the changes that have happened lately except for the inability to bomb into treasure rooms from adjacent rooms. that is loving idiotic. also, for fucks sake, put the seed on the death screen

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ghost Head posted:

I mostly like the changes that have happened lately except for the inability to bomb into treasure rooms from adjacent rooms. that is loving idiotic. also, for fucks sake, put the seed on the death screen

It's a bug and it'll be fixed.

Just a warning, careful when using teleport items or a Moon card. If the secret room spawns next to unbombable rooms, you'll be trapped with no way out and will be forced to restart.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ghost Head posted:

It's a bug. I sure hope it gets patched soon, because wowzers is that annoying.

Edit: GOD drat IT DR FETUS NOT AGAIN

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

I really like speedrunning and I really like BoI but I don't necessarily think the two need to go together.

I really can't fathom that "speedrunning" BoI is an actual thing people do/watch/care about :psyboom:

Do people speedrun yahtzee too?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So it looks like I have quite a few unlocks that haven't unlocked the relevant Steam achievement. Am I going to have to do these manually with SAM or is there a way of forcing a sync?

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I really can't fathom that "speedrunning" BoI is an actual thing people do/watch/care about :psyboom:

People speedrun Spelunky, and pure roguelikes such as Nethack and DCSS. I don't see how this is any different.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Your Computer posted:

People speedrun Minecraft from seeds.

Which is sad.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
gently caress, something weird has happened with my save. About a week ago I pinned the game to my task bar and I've been launching it from there. My friend and I have made a ton of progress since then and I've just noticed that if I launch the game from within Steam, I can't see any of that progress, my save is like it was a few days ago, but if I launch from the taskbar again, it's back. There are only two places the file exists on my hard drive, the usual place in 'my games', and a subdirectory of Steam: userdata\(bunch of numbers)\remote. You'd think if it was syncing an old version from the cloud, it'd overwrite my progress, but no, if you launch it from the taskbar it's still there. Anyone have any idea about this? I'd really hate to lose my save again. Guess this explains why Steam hasn't been unlocking my achievements.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Maybe try right clicking the game inside steam going to properties -> Local Files -> Verify integrity of game cache?

Check in the Browse Local Files location there as well and check the file savedatapath.txt

Make sure it points to the right place (mine is C:\Users\<username>/Documents/My Games/Binding of Isaac Rebirth/ and I assume that is probably default) and that it has been updated to the most recent time you used the Steam version.

Beyond that you might have to try to contact the dev, not exactly sure where else it might be going

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Immediately after finally unlocking the D6, I got two Brimstone + Tammy's Head + Guppy runs in a row.

Let's see if we can make it three.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Looked at the patch notes, and they changed the saving location from my games to the Steam folder in the last update. I guess somehow I was bypassing that by running it straight from the task bar (which works even without Steam running). Copied in the version from my games and it synced. Guess I'll have to manually do the achievements with the achievement manager as I'm guessing they won't unlock in game a second time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Binding of Isaac races are fun for the sake of being fun, they're not the best indicator at your skill at the game. I did a four-person one on WotL once and it was fun in the moment, even though the winner got an early mom's knife so nobody could really catch up. The race for second between me (Cain with like no damage ups and a shitton of health, having to clear the full Necropolis) and another guy (got an early Dead Cat so he had like no health but better stats) was close enough to add some pressure, which freshens stuff up a little bit.

Speedruns I don't really get the appeal of, though.

drunken officeparty posted:

You do, but for future reference if you reset before the death screen and start a new game (you'll know you're clear if your streak's the same as before) then you won't have to start over again before the Azazel step.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Rebirth Cheese 2: Cheese Harder

Since I recently unlocked Godhead, I decided to try and pick up the item ingame. Fortunately Rebirth cooperated with me on this one. I played as Isaac so I could use the D6 to reroll angel room items. I had all but given up hope of getting the items necessary for cheesing rerolls by Depths 2, so I'd swapped out my D6 for a Blank Card and decided to just goof around. I had a Starter Deck so all pills became cards and I was able to hold two cards at once. The game handed me exactly what I needed: a Jera rune. I went to a room with a battery pickup in it and earned enough Blank Card charges to fuel an infinite duplication engine. I also found a Judgement card on the floor and made some dupes of it just to be safe. One of the Judgements gave me a Joker card. Since I knew I'd need to be able to use the Blank Card AFTER Jokering into the angel room, I had to fill a room with Jokers so that I could use up a Joker and then use Blank Card to drop a Judgement.

I entered the Angel Room which contained The Body, fought the angel for a key piece to reroll, and began using Blank Card to drop beggars around the room. Soon I had a fair amount of items.

One of the Judgements at some point in this whole ridiculous exercise gave me a Perthro rune. I switched from Judgement to Perthro and continued burning Jokers so that I could use Blank Card with Perthro. It only took three rerolls for me to get Godhead (upper left).

I continued rerolling angel room items to pick up a few other helpful ones (The Wafer, The Mind, Sacred Heart, Habit) and then put some beggars in the secret room since I didn't remember getting Black Lotus in my collection.

Once again the game cooperated with me and I got it after a couple quick rerolls. It was time to move on. With Jera and Perthro runes in hand, I began rushing for the Chest, melting everything that got in my way.

It Lives and Isaac both died in half a second. I'd reached my destination. Time to cheese. I could have duped more chests but settled on 16 as more than that would make it difficult to move and also make it more likely that I'd accidentally pick up something terrible like Soy Milk. I left a fire going in the secret room so that I could damage myself for recharges after I cleared the floor.

I got a few more damage ups, Tough Love, and Death's Touch. ??? died about as quickly as Isaac.

One of the items I got from rerolling in the starting room was Dad's Key, so I was able to challenge Mega Satan. However I was not quite ready...until I got Chocolate Milk. I tested it out and decided it was time to finish this madness.

Mega Satan? Where are you? I can't see what's going on, just holler if you're there...oh whoops you already died. GG.

It looks like the only item I haven't picked up yet is the Scissors but that should be easy to get even without a retarded Blank Card gamebreaking setup.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
And here I was excited because I finally found the Libra + Soy Milk combo.

It's amazing the varying degrees this game can be played to, I love it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Why? How is it any different than any other game?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Seeded runs will be more like TAS runs. Squeezing through the door as fast as possible, charging brimstone and releasing it the frame it finishes charging, etc. Frames will start to matter on those runs, there were definitely spots in the one posted above that could have been cleaned up.

Seedless runs will be about being good and being luckier than the guy you're trying to beat.

So what if someone is running unseeded runs and they load the game up , pause and notice they got the seed X7DL PMDS? Do they just restart because they have the path memorized and know when they're getting Cat o nine tails / Tiny planet and exactly where to go?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know about speed running the game, but the BOILeR videos were always a lot of fun and I hope they continue doing them with Rebirth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In case there was anyone still on the fence about using the D10 on the early floors: Do not use the D10 on the early floors. I just hosed this Eden run on Cellar 2 and boy do I feel dumb :cripes:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

icantfindaname posted:

Why? How is it any different than any other game?

The extreme degree of randomness if you're using unseeded runs and if you're using seeded runs, watch that world record one. The guy just presses space bar in like 80% of rooms.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Speedrun unseeded with The Lost. Go! :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Power of Pecota posted:

The extreme degree of randomness if you're using unseeded runs and if you're using seeded runs, watch that world record one. The guy just presses space bar in like 80% of rooms.

Yeah, speedrunning Isaac is kind of pointless because the speed at which you can complete the game is basically entirely dependent on the items you get along the way. You can feasibly win the game with almost anything provided you have the skill to do so, but speed is governed by something totally out of the player's hands and requires lots of luck, which is not so fun to watch.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The wiki is telling me that you can no longer use seeds to unlock The Lost, but this thread is telling me that you can. So which is it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Not sure it was posted, but attention Vita users!

The challenge seed exploit still works in Vita version 1.03. Likely works on PS4 as well, but have not tested it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress gently caress gently caress slipped into sheol :suicide:

I can't imagine there's a way to go back and go to the cathedral instead?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
To unlock the D4 by blowing up arcade machines, does it count bombed arcades or is it just ones that pop on their own after a certain amount of coins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress slipped into sheol :suicide:

I can't imagine there's a way to go back and go to the cathedral instead?

Nope. Sorry.