Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Why does my avatar look like the rolleye smilie?

Did you previously have :rolleye: in your custom title? If so, my guess is Awful's imperfect avatar detection. There's no obvious way to tell if an image is meant to be an avatar, as opposed to a gang tag or smilie.

If not, then I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Did you previously have :rolleye: in your custom title? If so, my guess is Awful's imperfect avatar detection. There's no obvious way to tell if an image is meant to be an avatar, as opposed to a gang tag or smilie.

Might be related to a problem I ran into a while back (which cleared up and never occurred again) where a few smilies got replaced by random users' avatars. It was weird.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

pokeyman posted:

No, this is the only avatar I've ever had. I never even had a stupid newbie one when I registered.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

No, this is the only avatar I've ever had. I never even had a stupid newbie one when I registered.

I got nothing then :( Does it go away if you reload the page?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Nope, it's always there, always watching. Not an impediment in any way of course, but definitely a bug since my regular avatar shows up on desktop.

Fake edit: even in preview! It's kinda funny I suppose :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This bookmarks thing is eluding me. If anyone can manage to look at their device logs just as the bookmarks show up empty, I'd love to see if anything's there.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Nope, it's always there, always watching. Not an impediment in any way of course, but definitely a bug since my regular avatar shows up on desktop.

More interesting is its just you. Latest beta on my phone shows this.

I still have yet to encounter the random bookmarks bug at all. How many bookmarks do you guys having the problem have? I'm somewhere between 10 and 15 total threads marked.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm curious if you see a change after logging out and in again. Apparently that chucks a lot of cached data, maybe including your wrong avatar.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

carry on then posted:

I'm curious if you see a change after logging out and in again. Apparently that chucks a lot of cached data, maybe including your wrong avatar.

That plus a force quit of the app fixed it when I had the reverse issue. Something got cached wrong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I click through to a YouTube video and play it, it goes full-screen but the Done button doesn't close it. Have to force-quit.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has anyone ever successfully been able to upload an image with the Awful app? I believe it uses imgur and it's usually when I'm not on wifi but it's never worked for me.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Disappointing Pie posted:

Has anyone ever successfully been able to upload an image with the Awful app? I believe it uses imgur and it's usually when I'm not on wifi but it's never worked for me.

I've used it a number of times, yeah.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Subjunctive posted:

If I click through to a YouTube video and play it, it goes full-screen but the Done button doesn't close it. Have to force-quit.

Happens to me in Safari with YouTube videos as well, I think it's an OS bug rather than the app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jackhunter64 posted:

Happens to me in Safari with YouTube videos as well, I think it's an OS bug rather than the app.

Safari opens the YouTube app, so I can't tell, but it works correctly in Chrome which embeds the same webview as Awful AFAIK. I haven't updated to 8.1.2 yet though?

Awful letting me open the app would be nice, too. I notice that things like "Open in App" on Kickstarter's site don't work in the Awful browser. Not sure how hard that is to do.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah I use it a fair amount and the only problems I've had have been when trying to do a lot of pictures at once, like 8-10 or so.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:I
I don't remember the actions that caused this. I just woke my phone up, opened the awful app and it was like this. Killing it and reopening fixed it.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
If this question has been answered already I apologize: is there anyway for the app to be able to browse archives? I know I can read archived threads if the thread is linked, but as far as I am aware there is no way to browse archives. I have purchased archive access when I registered.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Yes, all the time and I only wish it was that easy on my desktop browser.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TheHomerTax posted:

If this question has been answered already I apologize: is there anyway for the app to be able to browse archives? I know I can read archived threads if the thread is linked, but as far as I am aware there is no way to browse archives. I have purchased archive access when I registered.

Only through linked posts/threads. There's no way to directly get into the archives through the app, at least for now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

:I
I don't remember the actions that caused this. I just woke my phone up, opened the awful app and it was like this. Killing it and reopening fixed it.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that I'm doing something stupid with the text view for writing posts but I'm not sure exactly what.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So when are you updating the app to match the new fonts?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Approximately... never.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Is it just me or have they been changing every couple of days? Today it looks skinny.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Basically Lowtax should not be allowed to touch CSS.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hey, you piss on an electric fence you might get a shock.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Thank you so much for adding in the slick image saving.

I'm curious: what kinds of invasive poo poo could you do with the 3rd party keyboard stuff? There's a pretty nasty warning message when you allow full access that mentions reading every keypress. Does that function within all of iOS?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DNK posted:

I'm curious: what kinds of invasive poo poo could you do with the 3rd party keyboard stuff? There's a pretty nasty warning message when you allow full access that mentions reading every keypress. Does that function within all of iOS?

Yeah I'm not happy with needing full access. Unfortunately it's required for the smilie keyboard to have any use whatsoever as a system-wide keyboard. Here's Apple's documentation on what keyboards can do with and without Full Access (they call it "open access" or "network-enabled", all the same thing). That documentation is, erm, not great, and it's a little jargony so I'll plough ahead with my own explanation.

Full Access turns on a bunch of things. The one thing that the smilie keyboard needs is the ability to copy images to the system pasteboard (helpfully, this is not one of the things that the aforelinked documentation includes in that table, though it does mention it somewhat obliquely later on). That's the only way anyone knows to get image data out of a keyboard extension: copy the image and tell you to paste it yourself. Since we needed Full Access anyway, I took advantage of two of its other features: network access (to download new smilies between app updates) and a shared folder with Awful (to remember the recently-used and favourite smilies, and as a common drop box for downloaded smilies).

The nasty warning is because keyboards work by running code when you tap a key (or draw strokes, or however you use the keyboard), and with Full Access there's nothing stopping that keyboard from transmitting every input over the network to whatever server, or perhaps logging every input for later nefarious analysis by the app that shipped with the keyboard. Since custom keyboards can work in any app, this can be a big deal.

Even with Full Access, though, a keyboard can't see any other keyboards' data, and it can't see any application's data (except the shared folder with its host application). If you never use a keyboard, it can't read anything and it can't send anything. And apps can disable custom keyboards for certain (or all) text fields, so Facebook can make sure you're not using the Keylogger 3000 to input your email and password.

If you're curious about the smilie keyboard in particular: it doesn't upload anything over the network, it does not use your logged-in session when fetching new smilies (the smilie list is never paywalled, so there's no need), and the data it saves never leaves the device.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So technically all the keyboard could know if you were nefarious is what smilies I was using?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It can also download your photos, but only the nude ones.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bum the Sad posted:

So technically all the keyboard could know if you were nefarious is what smilies I was using?

It puts you on a list if you use :nsa:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How does one go about getting a copy of that list.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Just got a bug where an old post in a thread was saved in memory so hitting the post button in a different thread brought it up. After trying to force quit the app and trying to just post the saved post it froze there. Reinstalled the app now.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Diabolik900 posted:

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? I've changed both my system and app text sizes to their highest settings and I'm not seeing any overlap.

Old but here it is anyway, long names toward the max length do it worse.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Pan Ache posted:

Just got a bug where an old post in a thread was saved in memory so hitting the post button in a different thread brought it up. After trying to force quit the app and trying to just post the saved post it froze there. Reinstalled the app now.

I'm not surprised it completely failed to submit the phantom post, but I am surprised that it showed up in the wrong thread. I'll take a look.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Approximately... never.

Well Awful.apk has had Roboto before it was cool the default font :smugdroid:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Using a font that isn't default is a very Android thing to do.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Long pressing on a thread to bring up the options to jump to first post and whatever is crashing the newest beta. Gonna gently caress with it for a little while. It's a full on back to springboard crash.

Edit: it suddenly stopped after I posted this. Weird. I can't seem to reproduce it. Not sure what the hell is up, but if there's a log I can post for you or something let me know.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 18, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Has anyone been able to actually delete favorited smilies from the smiley keyboard? I can move them around provided I do so immediately, but after that I have to cancel the move mode and restart it to move another smiley, but deleting seems impossible at the moment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Long pressing on a thread to bring up the options to jump to first post and whatever is crashing the newest beta. Gonna gently caress with it for a little while. It's a full on back to springboard crash.

Edit: it suddenly stopped after I posted this. Weird. I can't seem to reproduce it. Not sure what the hell is up, but if there's a log I can post for you or something let me know.

It probably happened because the list was refreshing, and the threads moved around between the time you started pressing and the time it registered as a long press. I'll have the crash log in any case so I can see what's up.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Has anyone been able to actually delete favorited smilies from the smiley keyboard? I can move them around provided I do so immediately, but after that I have to cancel the move mode and restart it to move another smiley, but deleting seems impossible at the moment.

Moving works consistently for me but I see what you mean about removal, I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Any plans for a 'delete cache' button? Being able to reset the performance of the app (as this process always seems to do) would be convenient without having to log out every time.

• Locked thread