Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also lol forever at texans claiming that they aren't the south when they seceded from the north over slavery

when i lived in texas, sometimes when texans were talking about the slaveowner's revolt they would get upset at the other states, louisiana in particular, for surrendering too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fritz posted:

when i lived in texas, sometimes when texans were talking about the slaveowner's revolt they would get upset at the other states, louisiana in particular, for surrendering too early

yeah those pussies should've made them burn it down

tbf it was historically so difficult to defend from both the river and the ocean that now there's a coast guard headquarters there and a naval headquarters there

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AtomD posted:

afik the difference between american free speech and free speech in other liberal nations is that hatespeech is covered as well
but for some reason defamation isn't? idk

defamation is still the burden of the allegedly defamed person to prove, though. contrast with britain where if someone accuses you of defamation, the burden of proof is on you to show that it wasn't defamatory speech.

and even then it's relatively narrow. you basically have to knowingly say something that is false, damaging, and likely to be taken seriously by others. i can call bill o'reilly a "pigfucker" all day long because nobody's going to reasonably conclude from my ranting that bill o'reilly actually puts his dick in a pig's anus.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

defamation is still the burden of the allegedly defamed person to prove, though. contrast with britain where if someone accuses you of defamation, the burden of proof is on you to show that it wasn't defamatory speech.

and even then it's relatively narrow. you basically have to knowingly say something that is false, damaging, and likely to be taken seriously by others. i can call bill o'reilly a "pigfucker" all day long because nobody's going to reasonably conclude from my ranting that bill o'reilly actually puts his dick in a pig's anus.

While this is a good example I genuinely believe Bill O'riley fucks pigs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i can call bill o'reilly a "pigfucker" all day long because nobody's going to reasonably conclude from my ranting that bill o'reilly actually puts his dick in a pig's anus.

it's true, bill is a good christian boy, he only goes for vaginal sex

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also i'm pretty sure america specifically has a law saying that if someone in another country is trying to bring suit against you for defamation when your speech would be totally legal in the US, we're just going to flip the bird to their courts and say 'gently caress off'

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

vodkat posted:

How the gently caress is this still a thing :negative:

Put your industrial-military complex to use and just nuke the whole loving south

nuking over half the black population in america is a pretty novel approach to ending racism i guess

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

slogsdon posted:

nuking over half the black population in america is a pretty novel approach to ending racism i guess

evacuate black people first duh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

doesn't the confederate constitution specifically mention slavery in the first few sentences?

IIRC, the confederate constitution was basically the US constitution except it banned outlawing slavery or freeing slaves

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's this phrase in the south about the civil war that goes something like

"schoolchildren know that the civil was about slavery, high schoolers know that the civil war was about state's rights, college graduates know that the civil war was about slavery"

also lol forever at texans claiming that they aren't the south when they seceded from the north over slavery

hell, texas was literally created for the sake of slavery. the texans were slaveholders who hopped the border into mexico, set up plantations, and then revolted and seceded when mexico told them slavery was illegal there

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farecoal posted:

evacuate black people first duh

only if you move them to oregon so we get to see how "not racist" pnw-ers are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

it's true, bill is a good christian boy, he only goes for vaginal sex

Of course, lady pigs only. What do think he is, a fuckin' queer??

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

also i'm pretty sure america specifically has a law saying that if someone in another country is trying to bring suit against you for defamation when your speech would be totally legal in the US, we're just going to flip the bird to their courts and say 'gently caress off'

yes america passed this law deliberately to stymie a bunch of attempts to sue people in british courts for making fun of people over there.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i like how white southerners hide behind black people when people want to burn down the south. pretending like they might actually care about those black people. lol, just lol.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

same

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

this is also how india works and has become a problem since the skeptical movement keeps getting people imprisoned for calling pseudoscience and woo woo herbalism things not real medicine

because this could potentially damage your local herb peddler and acupuncturist or w/e

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

:smugdog::respek::smugdog:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

only if you move them to oregon so we get to see how "not racist" pnw-ers are

oregon was never officially a slave state, but it also literally banned black people. the oregon territory briefly had a law requiring that all black people in oregon be whipped twice a year until they left. the oregon state constitution contained this lovely bit of verbiage until 2002:

the loving oregon bill of rights posted:

No free negro or mulatto, not residing in this State at the time of the adoption of this constitution, shall ever come, reside, or be within this State, or hold any real estate, or make any contract, or maintain any suit therein; and the Legislative Assembly shall provide by penal laws for the removal by public officers of all such free negroes and mulattoes, and for their effectual exclusion from the State, and for the punishment of persons who shall bring them into the State, or employ or harbor them therein.

oregon briefly went crazy for the klan in the 20s. they basically swept the election of 1922 and got a state law passed outlawing private schools (it's an anti-catholic/jewish thing). they tried to ban sacramental wine. they banned japanese people (.6% of the population) from owning land and running hotels. they enacted a literacy test for voters. they got run out of office only after they proved to be massively corrupt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

an anti-catholic/jewish thing

this is KKK doctrine and the reason why they never made much inroads into southern louisiana

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
are posters so loving stupid they don't get hp is gimmick posting?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

fits my needs posted:

i like how white southerners hide behind black people when people want to burn down the south. pretending like they might actually care about those black people. lol, just lol.

it's cute that you think white northerners give a poo poo about black people

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

slogsdon posted:

it's cute that you think white northerners give a poo poo about black people

oh, they care quite a bit about black people

that's why they have minorities frisked regularly

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

are posters so loving stupid they don't get hp is gimmick posting?

apparently

then again i think these are yosposters who don't read cjs so they're unaware that i'm about to enter into an interracial marriage

then again again my more rural family members are (probably) going to be ok with it because it's not the "bad" race so it doesn't really "count" as race mixing

one of my old roommates when i was doin my internship had started dating a guy who was against interracial marriage

he got sputtering mad when this was brought up and my other roommate, and half japanese girl, spoke up - to which he used this exact argument

so, you know, i'm not really worried about getting written out of the will overmuch

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 14, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how exciting

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

congrats on getting married, you're gay

theadder posted:

how exciting

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is KKK doctrine and the reason why they never made much inroads into southern louisiana

if only good-hearted white folks could see past the foul corruption of papistry and the pernicious control of international finance by the world's jewry, and concentrate on the righteous task of hating black folks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

then again i think these are yosposters who don't read cjs so they're unaware that i'm about to enter into an interracial marriage

tbh this is with a woman who is only half non-white, and the non-white part is one of the "good" races, and she's rich and from a family that is part of the country club

it's about the least interracial interracial marriage you could get imo

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

so brave, truly a pioneer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

tbh this is with a woman who is only half non-white, and the non-white part is one of the "good" races, and she's rich and from a family that is part of the country club

it's about the least interracial interracial marriage you could get imo

exactly my point

but it's not like there's asian people walkin around everywhere there like there is here (even tho there's a huge vietnamese pop there - it's heavily segregated)

p sure my dad hasn't told the rurals on his side about it

personally i'm hopin just to fly under the radar - her mom's side is from san antonio and they basically get mistaken for latinos there so we'll see

racism is a complicated and annoying thing

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

lol @ the my friend/fiancé is a $not_white defense

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Mido posted:

lol at how continually lovely of a poster you are

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mido posted:

righteous indignation is addicting isn't it

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mido posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol at how continually lovely of a poster you are

lol @ u defending h p because you're also a rich fuckoid from the south

except where hp's racism and wealth-flaunting is cheeky and fun, etc etc supertroopers you're the fatass everyone hates.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
really y'all the better argument is "how magnanimous am i for dating/marrying a nonwhite"

i mean come on that's some basic racism 101 stuff step up ur game if ur gonna play proper

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sagebrush posted:

lol @ u defending h p because you're also a rich fuckoid from the south

except where hp's racism and wealth-flaunting is cheeky and fun, etc etc supertroopers you're the fatass everyone hates.

lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i like HP hovercraft, if only because i want him to make me drinks when i move back to ~the bay~

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
hp seems like a solid dude and i'd have dinner with him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah i'll hit you up next time we're in town

which admittedly won't be for awhile but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i like HP hovercraft, if only because i want him to make me drinks when i move back to ~the bay~

faux shoah

• Locked thread