Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bonzibuddy64 posted:

The see-thru red plastic on the fireball for the Amiibo is badass.. Mario is one of the coolest Amiibos atm.

Yeah, it looks cool, its just not representative of the line as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Here's a random Palutena tip:
If you're 2 rolls distance away from the edge, you can teleport to the edge and it will auto cancel- which you can then lead into:
Fall off nair, will drag down and kill just about anyone hanging on the edge without invincibility
Jump and teleport back to stage, looks super cool and gives you stage control
Jump and attack, a quick way to punish recovery

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God For Glory really went down the shitter huh. Every single match I got for the past two hours was a Link who did nothing but throw boomerangs and arrows and bombs and the very rare running attack. The only other character I saw was a Diddy who spammed grabs into up air and beat my rear end because Diddy's broken as all hell.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the deadline for that free soundtrack CD deal for registering this game on Club Nintendo? It was sometime in January, right?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Mario amiibo is so good. The fact that they painted it so that the fireball glows on his clothes is rad as hell.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Well, I've completed all the challenges and gotten everything in the 3DS and Wii U versions except for all the hats. Does anyone have any tips on how to get those? I'm pretty sure that certain hat drops are tied to certain characters, but actually getting them to drop is another thing entirely.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just noticed today that Game and Watch can follow up after his up B. Can anyone else do that?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

I just noticed today that Game and Watch can follow up after his up B. Can anyone else do that?

Off the top of my head, Sonic, Mega Man, and ROB's recoveries allow them free movement afterwards, Bowser Jr can attack with his hammer, and Olimar can use one aerial out of Winged Pikmin before going into special fall.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat the final final battle on hard. I still can't beat the terrible Kirby food one

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
hot tip for any event where you can use custom characters: use a max attack Ness with the powered up PK thunder special move (forget what it was called) and just thunder yourself at everyone for instant KOs

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat the final final battle on hard. I still can't beat the terrible Kirby food one

Copy Dedede; apparently he heals more from inhaling foods.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Whoever said Charizard is hot garbage is 100% wrong. He owns and I often win for glory battles with him.

Turning my c-stick into tilt attacks instead of smash attacks helps immensely.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I like Charizard a lot, but I always seem to lose when using him.

I find it odd that the sword fighters are ranked so low. Ike, Lucina and sword Mii are the characters I do the best with.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

jivjov posted:

Copy Dedede; apparently he heals more from inhaling foods.

I ended up beating this with 40 seconds to spare (after every previous try timing out at 5-25%) by just following the run really fast / air dodge / dash attack to pick poo poo up. Using Dedede's inhale gives too much time for the Dedede's to catch up to you and for you to be hit by stray bullshit mine carts and gordos that weren't even aimed at you when you were anywhere near them.

Pause everytime you don't immediately have an item right next to you (clear goal) to figure out your path.

And then do that 10-20 times in a row because sometimes the boxes will drop 3 foods and sometimes they will drop an explosion! LoL!!

e: It would be more difficulty-level appropriate to every event if they just let you use Customs on that event, none of the other events are difficult with customs, I ONLY had trouble with Wrecking Mario and Kirby's Crazy Appetite.

In my opinion? Switch all the bonus equipment rewards to Normal Difficulty, switch all the trophy and challenge square rewards to Hard Difficulty, and enable Customs on every event for Easy / Normal only.
Then having the squares filled with a red border would mean something :shrug:

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 13, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

seiferguy posted:

Whoever said Charizard is hot garbage is 100% wrong. He owns and I often win for glory battles with him.

Turning my c-stick into tilt attacks instead of smash attacks helps immensely.

:stare: you can do that? oh god i kept having issues pulling off tilts instead of smashes this is gonna change everything maybe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I played this at a friends and it is mind blowing just how much better and more playable it is than the 3ds version. I kind of want a wii u now.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't know how to play it fight Mario. He's the only character I cannot beat. It is my conclusion that Mario is full of bullshit. (How do I beat Mario?)

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't know how to play it fight Mario. He's the only character I cannot beat. It is my conclusion that Mario is full of bullshit. (How do I beat Mario?)

What character are you using?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I play mostly Charizard and Samus but I lose just as bad with those two as any other character. :(

edit: Has anyone ever had input lag? I was just playing several matches against the same dude and things were fine. Then we ended up in a Diddy v Diddy match and my pro controller's B button stopped making me jump. Then I jumped randomly. So I let go of the controller and my Diddy did a double jump on his own. I'm not sure if I hit some weird lag or if my pro controller is dying.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 13, 2014

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

I play mostly Charizard and Samus but I lose just as bad with those two as any other character. :(

edit: Has anyone ever had input lag? I was just playing several matches against the same dude and things were fine. Then we ended up in a Diddy v Diddy match and my pro controller's B button stopped making me jump. Then I jumped randomly. So I let go of the controller and my Diddy did a double jump on his own. I'm not sure if I hit some weird lag or if my pro controller is dying.

You were looking at the wrong diddy...

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I was doing FFA For Glory and started right next to Ness. My first move was to throw a Gordo at him. His first move was to bat it back at me. However, it happened so quickly, my hammer was still out and hit the reflected Gordo back at him. It hit him for 62% damage and killed him instantly in the first second of the match.

Gordo is the best projectile.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Dear Sakurai,

Please patch this song into the non-Japanese versions of the game so we can have it also, thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQy6yGfWlo

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Please patch in Tharja, too

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Master Twig posted:

I like Charizard a lot, but I always seem to lose when using him.

I find it odd that the sword fighters are ranked so low. Ike, Lucina and sword Mii are the characters I do the best with.

Give me Ike tips, I need them to live

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dear Sakurai,

Please patch this song into the non-Japanese versions of the game so we can have it also, thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQy6yGfWlo

What in god's name...?! Does Sakurai have an explanation for this?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Master Twig posted:

My guess is the anime swordspersons are disproportionately the favorite characters for players who are bad and/or children. e.g., myself for Ike, and KingOfSprings for Lucina.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Speaking of anime swordpersons, I recorded a couple fun matches I had as Robin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9i9s-t35I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlj7CxFaBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UswVv4IGE

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
Lucina is a straight-up worse Marth. There is literally no reason to ever use her instead of Marth. I really want to like her (I like playing girl characters) but she is floatier so you can't do short hop neutral air openers like you can with Marth (pretty sure this also means she is lighter and thus more smashable but I am not sure about this) and the sword tip mechanic is gone, which just makes her weaker overall. What a blunder of design. Her alt costumes are way way better too. :(

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Was playing Team For Fun earlier with a friend and we ran into this guy who would always use a twin team (two Samuses, two Bowsers, etc) but seemed to be just one dude switching between controllers when necessary. He was really quick and was definitely switching, since Samus A would stop moving as soon as Samus B (who hadn't been moving) needed to come back to the stage. We eventually just started doing weird gimmicks, like trying to Bowserbomb only.

And then he had a friend show up and we just kept doing gimmicks. Twin Jigglypuffs doing nothing but rest and sleep is the best loving team, or a double-Wario biker gang. The best, though, might have been our twin Falcos matched against their twin Duck Hunt. At this point they figured out we were loving around so they stood on one side of the Garden of Hope and launched cans - but our gimmick was reflectors only, so we just kept reflecting them back.

I think the moral of the story is For Fun is the only mode so do whatever you want or don't or die who cares? Smash bros.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you believe in any character, they can do well. Everyone is good in their own way.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I bet that guy just felt super powerful after realizing he had two Gamecube controllers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Maleficent posted:

Lucina is a straight-up worse Marth. There is literally no reason to ever use her instead of Marth. I really want to like her (I like playing girl characters) but she is floatier so you can't do short hop neutral air openers like you can with Marth (pretty sure this also means she is lighter and thus more smashable but I am not sure about this) and the sword tip mechanic is gone, which just makes her weaker overall. What a blunder of design. Her alt costumes are way way better too. :(

not disagreeing with your conclusion here, but half this isn't true at all. they have the exact same physics, so she's not floatier or lighter. she also does more damage with untipped attacks than marth, but not nearly enough to compensate for how good tipped attacks are, which is the actual reason she's bad

that said, she has some small advantages. the running upsmash benefits from no tipper, and she might have an easier time shieldbreaking with her b

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Dang. Are we Wii U pals? I think I wanna try smushing your anime sword/spellwoman.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

not disagreeing with your conclusion here, but half this isn't true at all. they have the exact same physics, so she's not floatier or lighter. she also does more damage with untipped attacks than marth, but not nearly enough to compensate for how good tipped attacks are, which is the actual reason she's bad

that said, she has some small advantages. the running upsmash benefits from no tipper, and she might have an easier time shieldbreaking with her b

Marth's shield breaker will probably shatter a shield outright tipped, and if that happens you are probably dead past 35-40%.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marth's shield breaker will probably shatter a shield outright tipped, and if that happens you are probably dead past 35-40%.

yeah i figured that was probably the case, it's just that lucy's breaks at a short enough charge that i hoped the difference in charge time between only marth's tip breaking it and lucina's whole sword breaking it was negligible enough to give her the edge

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Give me Ike tips, I need them to live

Ike is tough to play as, but some tips I've learned from playing him a bit,

At low percent, you can down throw directly into aether. Sometimes down throw into short hop into aether.
Use the side+B a lot, but mainly as a getaway tool. Some players will just shield it and grab you if it's too predictable. However, if you charge it up while falling and release before you hit the ground, they don't usually see it coming. It's a good tool for mindgames. Sometimes I'll charge it and just wait, very patiently, for an opening
Aerials are good but laggy as hell, so be careful. The up aerial is good but easy to counter. The back aerial is fast and strong as hell, so I'll usually keep it as the ace in my back pocket and surprise them with it for a KO without ever having used it before.
Killing people with Eruption is the best. But you will never, ever land it.
Down tilt is a good fast way to knock people around

This is probably bad advice somehow but eh, it's hard to practice ike when half your opponents online are toon link and shoot arrows forever

Maleficent
May 26, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

Are you sure about this? I'm just making an assumption on anecdotal evidence but I have never been able to hit someone on the ground with a short hop nair like I am able to very consistently with Marth. It's always slightly above them, which led me to believe her jump heights are different and that she was possibly lighter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

thanks alot assbag posted:

Ike is tough to play as, but some tips I've learned from playing him a bit,

At low percent, you can down throw directly into aether. Sometimes down throw into short hop into aether.
Use the side+B a lot, but mainly as a getaway tool. Some players will just shield it and grab you if it's too predictable. However, if you charge it up while falling and release before you hit the ground, they don't usually see it coming. It's a good tool for mindgames. Sometimes I'll charge it and just wait, very patiently, for an opening
Aerials are good but laggy as hell, so be careful. The up aerial is good but easy to counter. The back aerial is fast and strong as hell, so I'll usually keep it as the ace in my back pocket and surprise them with it for a KO without ever having used it before.
Killing people with Eruption is the best. But you will never, ever land it.
Down tilt is a good fast way to knock people around

This is probably bad advice somehow but eh, it's hard to practice ike when half your opponents online are toon link and shoot arrows forever

Do you edge guard with eruption? Because I get a ton of kills that way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There was a chunk of time near release where people thought Lucina was better because if you went from playing Marth in melee and brawl, it's really hard to get used to the new tipper ranges. Pretty much all of them were shortened so you'll straight up whiff moves that should be a KO, and a big part of his gameplay used to be his amazing forward air approach which was nerfed.

Personally Marth was one of my 3 best characters in both games and I am poo poo with him in 4! I could put more time into him but I'm having too much fun with the fast characters like Sheik and C Falcon.

I feel kind of bad for not using the new characters. I like Pac Man a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pac Man is very fun and his down-taunt is one of the game's best

I don't understand what Bowser or Duck Hunt's down taunts are supposed to be

• Locked thread