Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Rerolling 1s on reanimation protocols is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hollismason posted:

Also that's a very interesting FOC, it's basically just a normal FOC with a bonus which is strange. No additional slots anywhere.

I mean it requires 3 troops, but has a LOW, and a Fortification something missing from the other FOCs that we've seen.

Basically no reason not to take it.

It requires three Troops and allows eight.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hollismason posted:

Also that's a very interesting FOC, it's basically just a normal FOC with a bonus which is strange. No additional slots anywhere.

I mean it requires 3 troops, but has a LOW, and a Fortification something missing from the other FOCs that we've seen.

Basically no reason not to take it.

Obsec man.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man that Necron scheme is so lasertag

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's gauss or nothing!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I guess losing obsec is kind of terrible.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The new warrior kit is niiice. I love that you get 6 bone swords and I didn't realise they came with 50mm bases

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
My Knight Magaera came :toot:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

So reading through the BA book is pretty disappointing. I'll need to redo my Lamenters entirely and there isn't even much of a mention at all of them in the book.
Losing 1-3 for Chaplains and Sanguinary priests is a huge pain and makes some of my models useless. Death Co and Assault Marines not being troops also means I guess I should buy some of the new Tac Marines, hey what a coincidence that's the new box out.
I suppose the answer is just go Unbound or something? Pretty disappointing overall and no real benefits except I guess getting grav weapons? Heavy flamers are neat though and you could put four in a devastator squad and drop pod them in.

Really feels even more so like this could've been just a supplement to the Codex Space Marines book, the armies are going to look exactly the same now without the FOC differences of the last book.

Oh also I guess eat poo poo if your blood Angels army has assault marines in Razorbacks as your troop choices because they can't even take them anymore.

This just feels like a soulless and boring update to just fix some old incompatibilities and make a heap of people's armies unbound.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 14, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, it feels like a cynical cash grab, but then so much of what GW do does. As with most of their other lovely decisions there's probably a well thought out reason for doing it*, but it wouldn't excuse the fact that in low level games you really could pretty much be using either codex now. It just guts the whole purpose of BA having their own book.
Oh wow, I can choose from seven different Elites choices? Marvellous! That makes up for my BA army being essentially identical to my C:SM one at 1000 points. It'll be interesting to see if next time round they decide that Dark Angels should also have to go for one tactical squad, five snipers, and a cheap Librarian before they can use the Deathwing or Ravenwing.

I can't remember them giving such a comprehensive "no your army is invalid gently caress off and buy it again" since the third edition WYSIWYG shitstorm. Lesson learnt though, no more pre-ordering the codexes for me.

*Actually I really do think it was just lovely cynical greed this time.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 14, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As with most of their other lovely decisions there's probably a well thought out reason for doing it*

If the grogs around the internet are any indication, I think the justification was:

"Blood Angels are a codex chapter and never should have had assault marines as troops in the first place."
:goonsay:

The book should have been a simple update to the 7th edition ruleset. Instead, it looks like they went out of their way to mess with anything that made the army different or interesting. Even the unique units got moved around the FOC for no good reason.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I was going to do a Lamenters Badab war era force, and was thinking of 20 DC in two squads, 3 DC dreads and a tac squad as the core (with the DC being foot assault marines basically) backed by two Termi squads (1 tactical, 1 assault) and some vehicles.

The new codex has sunk that idea straight away. You can't give anything in troops BP+CCW.

I got Deathstorm, a Sanguinary Guard box and have enough tac marines for about 20.

Does anyone know a good place to get Lamenters shoulder pads?

And what sort of list would you recommend with what I've got? I can get scouts, but want it to be an aggressive force that might suit boarding actions (as you'd want for a fleet based chapter).

I also recognise the possibility there'll be some new formation in the campaign book coming out that lets you take DC as troops, or some sort of special Fleshtearer formation that lets you take assault marines as troops (or more FA slots). Not a cash in at all.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

PierreTheMime posted:

Pretty much finished with my Spawn of Cryptus model. A few touchups, some grass, and we're good to start rending things! :unsmigghh:

Spawn of what? What the gently caress have I missed in the last 3000 posts?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

7thBatallion posted:

Spawn of what? What the gently caress have I missed in the last 3000 posts?

Tyranid apology supplement campaign book feat. mycetic spores and some other stuff.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Tyranid apology supplement campaign book feat. mycetic spores and some other stuff.

Oh, gently caress yes. My horde of 2nd Edition Nids are no longer useless?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

7thBatallion posted:

Oh, gently caress yes. My horde of 2nd Edition Nids are no longer useless?

Only you can decide that! Also Forgeworld redid IA4 so their Tyranid units are mostly pretty good now. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_VOLUME_FOUR_THE_ANPHELION_PROJECT_SECOND_EDITION.html

Here's some free rules GW put up for the new kits they released: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/free-to-download.html

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 14, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Malanthropes took a 180 into being really drat good, and the Stonecrusher Carnifex is one of the only things in the game that gets an AP value on otherwise incredibly underwhelming Hammer of Wrath attacks.
Stonecrushers are legit for tearing armour to bits. The only disappointment in IA4 is the Dimachaeron whose FnP save is tied at the end of a chain of special rules, and really needs to have a 12" move when it leaps to make it worthwhile.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

try to do something other than tac marines as troops in blood Angels

I guess just go unbound? That list of models is like 7 elites choices now. From what you've got you might as well just do any C:SM army except your tac squads get useless furious charge instead of a good chapter tactic.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Man, all this BA talk makes me thankful that GKT are still a troops choice. I guess it is possible for Codex:GK to have been even more bland than it is now :negative:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It's a real surprise that red Imperial Space Marines seem to play similar to blue Imperial Space Marines, while still having some key differences.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

Sadly not, that's a conversion. There's a guide in this week's WD.

gently caress. That's the only thing I wish for in a Necron update.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

gently caress. That's the only thing I wish for in a Necron update.

I still can't imagine that's it, as even GW wouldn't say "want better-looking guns for your troops? Buy one Ghost Ark kit for every ten! By the way, stripping the guns off the kit ruins the Ghost Ark model, toss the rest of the kit in the bin! :haw:"

Especially with a new Lord kit they're already redoing models. A new Warrior box is an obvious answer.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Karandras posted:

I guess just go unbound? That list of models is like 7 elites choices now. From what you've got you might as well just do any C:SM army except your tac squads get useless furious charge instead of a good chapter tactic.

Or 30k crusade list? Terminators as troops, tac marines with BP+CCW as troops, a dreadnought Talon as Elites?

But every space marine army I collect turns into a 'well I'll just use the Crusade Legion list!' The moral of the story is don't buy any new codices, just get the FW little red book and chapters book, and use one of the legion rules from there. Because 30k is good and has a well written flexible army list that you can theme in a lot of different ways.

loving GW.

Does anywhere do Lamenters shoulder pads?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I had my first tournament experience yesterday. It was a three game single day affair. I managed to win one, lose narrowly and lose shockingly. I was using a BA list with DC Tycho, assault kitted honour guard, two tactical squads (one with a land raider) and six dreads, (three standard, three furioso). I will not bore you with the details as none were particularly remarkable games.

I lost shockingly to a list with fateweaver, belakor, three daemon princes and three units of horrors. It was the Emperor's Will (not good for a man with footslogging dreads) and he had a fortress to castle up in. His turns took forever due to all the charts and the psychic phase for daemon summoning. which meant we only got to turn three by the end of two hours. The other thing that scuppered me was that it was kill points on top of the normal victory conditions which was only revealed to me on the second turn. As such I would have castled more and focussed on killing things rather than making an ill fated bid to capture his objective.

The close defeat was to Orks, Tycho went down in combat with a Mega Nob Warlord which fits the fluff I supposed. The massed guns of the landraider and dreads avenged him shortly after. As such again I focussed too much on the objectives and underestimated the difference that the kill points would make. This was a real lesson, other than shoot all the trukks that contain meganobs as a matter of urgency and also have a contigency to deal with deffkoptas as twin linked str 8 missiles into my flank were no joke.

Other highlights were Tycho attempting to fight a Lictor in assault but ruining that cinematic moment by blasting it in the face with his combi melta. One of the shooty dreads kicked a Mawloc to death as well.

I can see utterly why a serious tournament player needs to know everyone's codex. The number of times you are told a rule and think, "I don't want to be a dick but that sounds way too good to be true". I can think of incidents where I misrepresented an AP that day so I can think it applies to me however it was quite striking how much people were guessing at rules.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

PierreTheMime posted:

I still can't imagine that's it, as even GW wouldn't say "want better-looking guns for your troops? Buy one Ghost Ark kit for every ten! By the way, stripping the guns off the kit ruins the Ghost Ark model, toss the rest of the kit in the bin! :haw:"

Especially with a new Lord kit they're already redoing models. A new Warrior box is an obvious answer.

This, and also GW hasn't really encouraged conversions in a long time, so I can't really see that happening.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ghetto wormhole posted:

My Knight Magaera came :toot:

Forgeworld resin casts the plastic knight parts? That's insane.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

forgeworld does not do this...

forgeworld also uses forgeworld branded bags

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Thats not come from Forgeworld, thats a chinese knockoff.

Forgeworld send a knight box and the upgrade bits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

My legit Forgeworld Firestorm came with the intact Falcon sprues, but not the box, instructions or decals.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

forgeworld does not do this...

forgeworld also uses forgeworld branded bags

serious gaylord posted:

:siren:BUSTED :siren:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Zanchui, judging by the bags.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

The only disappointment in IA4 is the Dimachaeron whose FnP save is tied at the end of a chain of special rules, and really needs to have a 12" move when it leaps to make it worthwhile.

The Dimachaeron is pretty drat good, and you can pod it now. The thing will delete units off the table unless it gets shoved against 3++ terminators.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Just throwing this out there, but I'm looking to swap the Stormclaw Space Wolves for the Deathstorm Blood Angels. Toss me a PM if you're interested. Haven't posted here in ages, whoops. If there's a better place to post this let me know.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Safety Factor posted:

If the grogs around the internet are any indication, I think the justification was:

"Blood Angels are a codex chapter and never should have had assault marines as troops in the first place."
:goonsay:

The book should have been a simple update to the 7th edition ruleset. Instead, it looks like they went out of their way to mess with anything that made the army different or interesting. Even the unique units got moved around the FOC for no good reason.

It's such a strange set of choices. There's no earthly reason whatsoever for putting the DC in Elites. You can make a case for assault squads returning to FA, but DC were absolutely fine a as 0-1 non-scoring Troop choice. I genuinely cannot see a reason for it other than to push the new tactical squad box.
The Blood Angels should absolutely have been folded into C:SM if this was their plan. It wouldn't even have needed a new C:SM to come out, just release the BA update as a supplement.

Leo Showers posted:

It's a real surprise that red Imperial Space Marines seem to play similar to blue Imperial Space Marines, while still having some key differences.

I'm going to respond as if this weren't a lovely troll.

The point of having different Troops choices was that they did play differently. Assault squads as troops meant you had a viable reason for taking assault squads, as opposed to the C:SM where they're just overly expensive toss. DC as Troops mean you didn't have to have either of the C:SM choices if you didn't want to. With this latest idiocy GW have made it so that you have to make the same basic list building choices as with C:SM. With the new Troops tax and hallmark units having stuffed the Elites section there's not a lot of room to actually build a distinctly BA list.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

LordAba posted:

The Dimachaeron is pretty drat good, and you can pod it now. The thing will delete units off the table unless it gets shoved against 3++ terminators.

I can attest to this. Played against a tau gunline and I dropped in the swarmlord, a squad of tyrant guard. two dimachaerons, and a trygon prime. He hurt a lot of it, but he couldn't hurt all of it. Once the survivors got the charge it was all over. The swarmlord killed a broadside team with a commander, a crisis suit team and a riptide.

This felt pretty good since the list he was using demolished my renegade tournament list.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I can neither confirm nor deny any involvement with the Chinese.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

In regards to the BA Codex and Victory Points, the BA specific Tactical Objectives is a good way to tally up some "random" points for yourself if you can complete/have completed those objectives throughout the game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

Rerolling 1s on reanimation protocols is pretty sweet.
I think this is an interesting trade for Objective Secured. If alternate detachments gave more bonuses like that to weigh against ObSec, that'd be real neat.

Cataphract posted:

Man that Necron scheme is so lasertag
And there ain't nothin wrong with that whatsoever.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

I can attest to this. Played against a tau gunline and I dropped in the swarmlord, a squad of tyrant guard. two dimachaerons, and a trygon prime. He hurt a lot of it, but he couldn't hurt all of it. Once the survivors got the charge it was all over. The swarmlord killed a broadside team with a commander, a crisis suit team and a riptide.

This felt pretty good since the list he was using demolished my renegade tournament list.

Also going to agree with this, played a friends drop pod army, stuck one in the center of some crazy bison defense formation, and from the bottom of turn 1 till turn 6 he was deleting a squad a turn. Although having to chase someone from across the board wouldnt have done so well. He's fun to play if nothing else, rolling 10 dice for a single dudes melee just feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My buddies and I came up with a modified maelstrom that we've tried out a few times. At the start of the game you declare two objectives as 1 and 2. Then you are given six objectives:

Control objective 1
Control objective 2
Wipe out an enemy infantry, bike squad, cavalry or artillery unit.
Wipe out an enemy vehicle or monstrous creature.
Have at least two units in enemy deployment zone.
Have at least three units in your own deployment zone with no enemy units.

At the end of your turn you can turn in just one completed objective for a vp. Once you turn in an objective, you can't claim it again. Some turns you may complete multiple, but you can still only turn in one. Makes choosing which ones to do a lot more strategic. We do this on top of an eternal war mission. I recommend you try it.

• Locked thread