Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Honestly, I was sorta worried about the "lethal, now more than before update" as well, and was talking with the devs about it. One of them said the new target is you should be able to take four hits from a monster, even without any armor. Honestly that sounds pretty okay, I thought it was gonna be something way crazier, like 2-3 hits and you're dead.

Yeah, though even if "more lethal than 3 hits you dead with armor vs a slightly stronger enemy = 4 hits without armor", the other half of the combat problem was regular and accessible healing from getting hit so much as once.

When the entire planet is spawning piles of enemies who can take out 1/4 of your health bar, or any amount of it, even without the new cooldowns on food you can only grow and carry so many banana breads before they run out.

Moment to moment, or bonfire to bonfire :darksouls: it is not quite as bad. But when traveling across and inside entire planets at a time, it really adds up.

EDIT: I'm sure it won't be as bad as I expect, but I'm not figuring it to be as convenient as some say either.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Section Z posted:

Yeah, though even if "more lethal than 3 hits you dead with armor vs a slightly stronger enemy = 4 hits without armor", the other half of the combat problem was regular and accessible healing from getting hit so much as once.

When the entire planet is spawning piles of enemies who can take out 1/4 of your health bar, or any amount of it, even without the new cooldowns on food you can only grow and carry so many banana breads before they run out.

Moment to moment, or bonfire to bonfire :darksouls: it is not quite as bad. But when traveling across and inside entire planets at a time, it really adds up.

If what you're saying is that it would be cool to have some kind of healing/regen mechanic besides just "big stack of potions", then yes that is a great idea.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it seems like there are a lot of people who responded really positively to the new farming stuff? weird

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hundreds of new food recipes you won't use, why would you bother once you find any single one that will give you decent regen

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

for some reason i really like bug collecting poo poo in any game. doesn't really matter what it is.
Yeah put that alongside fishing and cooking for "dumb poo poo I really like for no good reason". My big concern is all the bugs just look like colored dots so unless there's a cool zoom-in where you can see procedurally generated bugs then Terraria already has them beat in this field.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

hundreds of new food recipes you won't use, why would you bother once you find any single one that will give you decent regen

eh, depends on what all you can get from food buffs, honestly. i feel like a lot of them will give at least SOME regen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a bunch of the foods are supposed to give you special effects in addition to healing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that would be nice

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I think a bunch of the foods are supposed to give you special effects in addition to healing.

I admit, I kinda wanna see what recipes use neon melons. One of the old wipes my Avian retired to a nice little oasis to set up a neon melon farm (thanks to mods making plants actually grow properly) with his best pal, Golden Ducky looted from tomb.

I can totally see the 'that you won't use because cooldowns and you need to stick to food that will let you LIVE' as a practicality issue. Just got around to playing through Mercenary kings and I felt like there was a simmilar situation with all the weapons "Okay, I either don't need to, or won't have the parts to make this until later. Well at least I can look forward to making-wait only the final boss drops crafting parts for those several things I wanted nevermind."

EDIT: vvv There is less appeal to using a food item that makes you jump higher or glow in the dark, when there is that well fed debuff locking you out from any further food benefits until it wears off. So like somebody else said, you stick to the foods that give you regeneration or something because of the combat situation.

Remember, bandages ALSO are getting a cooldown put on them according to devblog. Boosting how much a bandage can heal is nice (if it is enough to matter), but locking it down won't help matters either if that doesn't make up for how much you can get hurt by one or two hits slipping through across several sets of enemies by the time the cooldown wears off. It's something that requires actual balance work to make it reasonably functional across a long time and distance, such as traveling around entire planets.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 15, 2014

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
After several months, finally, FINALLY, the thread has rerailed.

Lets run this poo poo off the rails like the crazy train it is.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

'that you won't use because cooldowns and you need to stick to food that will let you LIVE'

Man sometimes I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Anyway that'll be another thing to differentiate recipes, the "wellfed" timer isn't static, some crops fill you up more than others. In other words, perhaps you can find some crop that gives you a max health & max energy buff but lets you eat again relatively soon afterwards. Well, we'll have to poke around at that and shout at Chucklefish if it's too ridiculous and we can barely ever eat anything.

Also bandages & nanowraps and stuff are still in the game, I... kinda think the plan is to keep specific healing items as well as the food system? Not really clear on that.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Rrussom posted:

After several months, finally, FINALLY, the thread has rerailed.

Lets run this poo poo off the rails like the crazy train it is.

I'll give them between 2-3 months without an update before the thread-making GBS threads begins anew.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Let's run it on the rails, they'll never expect that

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Man Whore posted:

I'll give them between 2-3 months without an update before the thread-making GBS threads begins anew.

why not now?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Man Whore posted:

Seems fair.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I didn't follow this game closely, what happened to all the mods/modders for it? I know soon after early access someone was doing badass mech suits and poo poo, did modders keep working on it, or did the lack of a stable release hose mod efforts?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
random thing I just remembered: somehow early starbound promo stuff gave me the idea for a bit that it was gonna be an online thing in general, where when you traveled to a new planet chances are it would be unexplored because of the sheer amount of possible planets from seeding, but there would always be the chance it would be a planet someone had visited/was still on

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

victrix posted:

I didn't follow this game closely, what happened to all the mods/modders for it? I know soon after early access someone was doing badass mech suits and poo poo, did modders keep working on it, or did the lack of a stable release hose mod efforts?

The whole nightly thing killed most of it. There are still a few people creating mods for the last unstable and some who keep up with the nightlies but it's a ton of effort so not many.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

victrix posted:

The problem a lot of us modders had with the long update is that, as part of this update, large portions of the code that we used to mod in stuff are being changed, to the point where we may have to go in an basically rewrite everything. So you were kind of stuck between continuing to mod know that you're just giving yourself more work in the long run, or trust in that "preview" they ran on the blog a while back that showed a WIP version of the setup they were going to be using.

E: And yeah, you could try and brute force your way through the nightlies but they're such a loving hassle.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man Whore posted:

I always said I was only making GBS threads on the game because I haven't seen poo poo in 8 months.

But now I've seen poo poo so I am cool.

This person is made of awesome and amazing.

I always knew the update would be freaking amazing so my hopes stayed high. Unless the pulls a Xavi/Towns nothing can ruin my starboner for starbound

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Looks like it's time for a StarRebound

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The problem a lot of us modders had with the long update is that, as part of this update, large portions of the code that we used to mod in stuff are being changed, to the point where we may have to go in an basically rewrite everything. So you were kind of stuck between continuing to mod know that you're just giving yourself more work in the long run, or trust in that "preview" they ran on the blog a while back that showed a WIP version of the setup they were going to be using.

E: And yeah, you could try and brute force your way through the nightlies but they're such a loving hassle.
Have they given some kind of timeframe, when their development of the game won't break mods anymore?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Realistically, as long as they keep updating, they're going to keep breaking mods. I wouldn't expect mod fuckage to stop until 1.0, maybe even later. It's how they break them that's the issue. If they change a function or two in order to improve stability or whatever, that's something we can bounce back from in like a day. But when they're redoing large parts about how mods are coded, take 8 months to actually release that update, and in the meantime not give us a mostly-stable platform to actually test and rewrite our mods on, well, that's what kills mods.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Zeron posted:

The whole nightly thing killed most of it. There are still a few people creating mods for the last unstable and some who keep up with the nightlies but it's a ton of effort so not many.

Maybe Babe Magnet can offer a more informed view but most of the Nightly updates are just content updates, the average Nightly update doesn't really effect modding much since your mods are likely just over-writing the original files or adding extra ones.

What really breaks mods was when they make really broad, sweeping changes as Magnet alluded to, and this included completely changing the structure that mods had to be written in, and they did that at least two or three times. Those were some of the worst hits to the mods.

The result is that the current mod system is really loving great, quite powerful & flexible, and way better than the original system, but it also meant you had to kinda rebuild a lot of your old stuff and it was a big pain in the rear end if Chiclefish was gonna be constantly doing that.

If they never re-do the mod system again then maybe people could start working on mods from here, but who knows if that'll happen.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

Realistically, as long as they keep updating, they're going to keep breaking mods. I wouldn't expect mod fuckage to stop until 1.0, maybe even later. It's how they break them that's the issue. If they change a function or two in order to improve stability or whatever, that's something we can bounce back from in like a day. But when they're redoing large parts about how mods are coded, take 8 months to actually release that update, and in the meantime not give us a mostly-stable platform to actually test and rewrite our mods on, well, that's what kills mods.
I thought the whole mod system was designed so that mods wouldn't have to be rewritten with every patch and, unlike Minecraft mods, could actually remain viable between versions.
Now, obviously with this big patch and the rehauls to the mod system as a whole they can't maintain that, but I believe that's the overall goal.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A large amount of the game was designed one way, only to be completely changed to function a different way. I'll believe forward-compatible mods when I see it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So with this new winter update, will this game be considered "complete" or is this still just a stepping stone (albeit a seemingly big one).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I thought the whole mod system was designed so that mods wouldn't have to be rewritten with every patch and, unlike Minecraft mods, could actually remain viable between versions.
Now, obviously with this big patch and the rehauls to the mod system as a whole they can't maintain that, but I believe that's the overall goal.

For the most part that's true, but it only holds up so far. Example, you could make a mod that changed all the Food items in the game to make them fill you up less so you could eat more often. Then maybe next month Chucklefish decides they're going to scrap the entire Food system and replace it with a quiet meditation system where players are forced to sit down and meditate for several minutes to regain their inner calm, and in doing so they remove all the crafting stations for the food items.

Technically your mod won't cause any problems if players use it, but it also won't do anything anymore 'cause they won't be able to craft any of the food that your mod modified.

So long as Chucklefish are still tearing out and jamming in whole systems like this, it's kind of a minefield to do any modding.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

So with this new winter update, will this game be considered "complete" or is this still just a stepping stone (albeit a seemingly big one).

Big stepping stone.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cherry-picked footage and buzzwords made Chucklefish a literal million dollars, and now they're going back to that well when it turns out posting dev blogs highlighting how bad you are at game dev (but good at beachball physics) is a bad idea

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It worked before, and it will work again.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

combining movement techs: the dream is here.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's been so long between updates my buzz for modding had ample time to shrivel up and die, which I'm surprisingly OK with. My lack of technical knowledge basically ensures that anything I do is a struggle for the most barebones result, and almost guaranteed to not live up to my expectations. I love making assets and writing lore but the complicated stuff escapes me completely, and unfortunately that's the stuff that makes a mod shine. At this point I'd be more than happy just to play the game and see what stuff other goons get to cooking up, if they end up coming back.
That is, if it ever loving comes out! :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

That is, if it ever loving comes out! :argh:

Asimo posted:

Any day now!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Prop Wash posted:

combining movement techs: the dream is here.

After three years in development, they'll finally have access to this amazing concept (which was already present in either launch or at the very least very near launch Terraria).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sloped terrain tiles, when.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Didn't those come out in a Terraria update shortly after Starbound launched, and immediately made SB's terrain look like dog piss?

Because Terraria-style sloped/half-block terrain looks really good.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also can we fish yet because otherwise no deal

oddium posted:

Cherry-picked footage and buzzwords made Chucklefish a literal million dollars, and now they're going back to that well when it turns out posting dev blogs highlighting how bad you are at game dev (but good at beachball physics) is a bad idea
Why didn't they listen to my suggestion of making Starbound an intergalactic beachball simulator?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Space Volleyball and the like look neato, hopefully you'll actually be able to use it, like toss it back and forth or whatever, without having to dig through menus every time you throw it/catch it, because that would basically kill any and all fun you could have with it outside of tossing it and watching it bounce once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
So, I was embarrassed about making GBS threads all over this game without having played it in a long time - nothing worse than old poo poo - and went ahead and installed the nightly yesterday. Of course it is broken and won't launch from steam, and the launcher is broken and won't launch the game, but these are known issues so I went ahead and ran it myself.

The start is a bit different in that you aren't just grinding for coal, instead you have to dig deep into the earth to get at planet core ore to fix the ship, which is also a grind since the matter manipulator is still slow. I found a few pickaxes in chests so that helped a bit till they broke, and the core ores are also tough to mine, but I ended up collecting enough to do the fixin, then found I need some silver bars for the next fix, and at that point stopped. I am pretty sure the first mod I install will be one that bypasses all the grind to let me just get explorin.

I also tried out the combat. As a novakid with my flashlight and 1h gun I was able to kill two enemies before running out of energy, which thankfully worked out since the underground caves didn't have too many enemies spawning at a time. I did have to run away a few times but it wasn't so bad. Ultimately though I spent about an hour digging and then climbing back up just to fix something on my ship, and I still can't go travelling far. Also, for a new player, I think it's a bit more confusing, but I assume they will add more quests to the start (like there used to be the "make a workbench" quest) so you know you can actually make poo poo in the crafting tab.

Maybe all the crazy new poo poo appears later but I didn't find it such a different experience compared to a year ago. May try a bit more so I can more accurately threadshit but I think other lovely EA games also deserve my attention. I still have high hopes, maybe this new update will be all that and a bag of chips.

• Locked thread