Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's a really fun fight. I just wish you could get to it easier cause sometimes you just won't run into 2 angel rooms or Dad's Key.

I didn't know Anti-Gravity Tears worked with Brimstone. It's magical. :allears: It's not useful unless you have Magnetic Tears, but it's cool there's an interaction for that.

Anti-Grav and Brimstone is bad in general. It looks cool though. My favorite is Loki's Horns/Mutant Spider and Mom's Knife because you can become a buzzsaw by spinning around and it is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Anti-Grav, Brimstone and homing tears are pretty fantastic.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Anti-grav and brimstone is great if you have a high tears stat. You can get multiple brimstone beams firing at once and wreck bosses.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
This combo is tremendous if you add magnetic tears to the mix, because you'll just generate a black hole of death that sucks every enemy into it.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Gromit posted:

I played Azazel and got Ludovico, which turned my game into trying to find a hiding place so I could pay attention to driving that red ring of death around.

It does make Curse of Darkness pretty trivial though. The light from the Brimstone ring is enough for a 1x1 room to be lit entirely!

I love Azazel. At this point I'm just playing for fun, and he is so stress-free it's amazing.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 31, 2022

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Thank you lord for the Dead Cat bug.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I hate Cursed Eye so much.

I've spent over half an hour fighting IT LIVES and being teleported away.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

ThaumPenguin posted:

I hate Cursed Eye so much.

I've spent over half an hour fighting IT LIVES and being teleported away.

Still not learned the trick yet? Cursed Eye teleports you if you get hit during a partial charge. You are safe with no charge or a full charge though. Timing is key.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Toothache posted:

Still not learned the trick yet? Cursed Eye teleports you if you get hit during a partial charge. You are safe with no charge or a full charge though. Timing is key.

the actual trick is don't loving pick up the cursed eye because it's completely useless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It Lives spews a constant stream of bullets so I could see how that could be a problem whether you know how the curse works or not. There aren't many points where nothing is happening and you're safe to charge with no threat of being hit.

Half an hour is a long time fighting that thing, though. Must have a lot of health on the floor, I guess.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Toothache posted:

I did know that, it's just that it's kinda really hard to not get hit while charging when fighting IT LIVES.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It Lives spews a constant stream of bullets so I could see how that could be a problem whether you know how the curse works or not. There aren't many points where nothing is happening and you're safe to charge with no threat of being hit.

Pretty much this.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Half an hour is a long time fighting that thing, though. Must have a lot of health on the floor, I guess.

I had used the Guppy's Paw + Converter trick to get almost max health some floors before, and I had kept Guppy's Paw, so I had a shitload of potential health.

There were also some soul hearts lying around that I hadn't been able to pick up earlier, plus a super secret room filled with red hearts.

It was pretty much a guaranteed win, or would have been, if it wasn't for the Eye.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 14, 2014

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So I've been trying to get the Meat Boy achievement these last few days. Mostly had runs end by not having the necessary ingredients for infinite rerolls. I was finally lucky enough to get Blank Card + Jera + Judgment on the same floor. So...

I started by duping some batteries:

...and some Judgement-cards:

After about 30 minutes of feeding money into beggars and using Ehwaz Algiz (long Book of Shadows effect) + Blank Card with Devil Beggars the room was a hilarious mess of pickups and treasures I tried to avoid to the best of my ability. Most items had already been picked up when I took this screenshot. About an hour of running to and fro later, dropping unnecessary trinkets from clogging up the 2x2 room with about 4 dozen beggars, I came across a D6, which I used after I'd accumulated a ton of items on the screen. One of them rerolled into the Monster Manuel. No, it's not manual, no matter what you or Edmund says.

Backtracked to the battery room to consume about 100 batteries...

... AND THERE IT IS! :toot:

This took me over 2.5 hours. The achievement makes zero sense. But it was worth it:

About drat time. Just under 200 hours played. I need a break.

E: The invincibility rune is Algiz, not Ehwaz.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 14, 2014

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I just screwed up a fantastic Suicide King run where I had the Stop Watch, The Bible and an Emperor card which I saved for the Cathedral, by dying to Isaac at the very end of the fight. Restarted immediately and beat it with Guppy's Head, Juicy Sack and Hive Mind. :dance: Also beat Solar System earlier, again with the Stop Watch. Honestly the worst of the challenges should probably not even be attempted before unlocking that thing; I was only able to beat some of them thanks to it. In any case I think I've now unlocked all items except The Lost-related ones and the Scissors/D4. Feels good. Maybe I'll give Hard mode a go.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So the donation machine jamming is tied directly to the seed, not anything else. I just happen to keep running into seeds that cause it to jam at lower amounts.

I tried going back to the flash Isaac and wow, it's pretty much unplayable for me now. Rebirth is such an improvement over it. Not having to worry about being stuck when picking up an item is great.

Wugga posted:

Meat Boy achievement.

It's ridiculous how that method is considered to be much less of a hassle than trying to get the achievements legit.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's ridiculous how that method is considered to be much less of a hassle than trying to get the achievements legit.

I honestly don't know why people do it that way. Getting it legit seems to be much faster and doesn't rely on having a particular item combo. I've done those achievements legit. Got Bandage girl during regular gameplay and restart-scummed for the Book of Revelations for Meat Boy. Sure, you don't know which of the two you'll get and once you have the one you want you need to hope that conquest doesn't show up but I'm still not sure if doing it with the Monster Manual is actually worth it unless you happen to get that combo.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Is the save file location still the same as it was? I remember someone mentioning they'd changed it but I might have imagined it. I'd like to store my 100% save before something terrible happens.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Tell me about it. At first I figured I'd try to get Eden to start with the Book of Revelations but I probably would've burned through my tokens only to bump into Conquest in the Womb. It's amazing how difficult it is considering how often you'd get SMB on the original.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That method is 100% guaranteed to produce a meat boy/bandage girl. Playing through the game regularly takes half an hour to an hour and is not. It's a pretty obvious time advantage to do the former because under normal circumstances you're not guaranteed to get a meat boy/bandage girl even if you DO get a horseman on every floor (beause the last one can be Conquest, who doesn't drop a cube/bandage or the headless horseman on ANY floor, who drops the pony).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

I honestly don't know why people do it that way. Getting it legit seems to be much faster and doesn't rely on having a particular item combo. I've done those achievements legit. Got Bandage girl during regular gameplay and restart-scummed for the Book of Revelations for Meat Boy. Sure, you don't know which of the two you'll get and once you have the one you want you need to hope that conquest doesn't show up but I'm still not sure if doing it with the Monster Manual is actually worth it unless you happen to get that combo.

I've beat everything as every character and I've only ever had two meat cubes in a run. Once I had two cubes and two bandage balls, but that's the best I've ever seen. I've been trying to get them recently since Meat Boy/Bandage Girl are the only things I need to unlock other than the 900 and 999 coin unlocks for the donation machine and it's really frustrating. I've even tried using the BASE MENT seed since I don't have enough space on my Vita to update the game and it still isn't happening, I've literally exhausted the item pool several times with no Monster Manual and like one Famine per run (I swear they can't repeat) to show for it. 2.5 hours sounds really loving good at this point.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
PJXX Q94D - pretty much the most perfect start you can have for The Lost. Ipecac + Holy Mantle for first floor, Dead Cat in devil room. You can even purchase the Stopwatch in Depths 1. Almost had my boss rush out of this if it were not for The Bloat.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I finally did a cheese run with the manuel to get a meat boy last night, and I still produced two and a half bandage girls before the game even gave me a third cube of meat.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
If someone wants their Eden run to start with the D6 + Sharp Plug: RDLP HYP7.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

Good for you? :shrug:
I've put over 160 hours into this game and I thought all I was missing was picking up Steven. Once I finally got that (earlier this day) I realized I still don't have Bandage Girl. I've had the level 3 version probably 7-8 times by now but apparently never level 4. It sucks and it's literally the worst achievement(s) in the game.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was a bit disappointed that there was no real synergy with Technology and Anti-Gravity.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Toothache posted:

PJXX Q94D - pretty much the most perfect start you can have for The Lost. Ipecac + Holy Mantle for first floor, Dead Cat in devil room. You can even purchase the Stopwatch in Depths 1. Almost had my boss rush out of this if it were not for The Bloat.

wait is there a way to cheese with seeds again? I thought they disabled that

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Hey, gonna stream some Rebirth if anybody's interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/EdwardTank

Come and mock my stupidity!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wugga posted:

So I've been trying to get the Meat Boy achievement these last few days. Mostly had runs end by not having the necessary ingredients for infinite rerolls. I was finally lucky enough to get Blank Card + Jera + Judgment on the same floor. So...

I started by duping some batteries:

...and some Judgement-cards:

After about 30 minutes of feeding money into beggars and using Ehwaz Algiz (long Book of Shadows effect) + Blank Card with Devil Beggars the room was a hilarious mess of pickups and treasures I tried to avoid to the best of my ability. Most items had already been picked up when I took this screenshot. About an hour of running to and fro later, dropping unnecessary trinkets from clogging up the 2x2 room with about 4 dozen beggars, I came across a D6, which I used after I'd accumulated a ton of items on the screen. One of them rerolled into the Monster Manuel. No, it's not manual, no matter what you or Edmund says.

Backtracked to the battery room to consume about 100 batteries...

... AND THERE IT IS! :toot:

This took me over 2.5 hours. The achievement makes zero sense. But it was worth it:

About drat time. Just under 200 hours played. I need a break.

E: The invincibility rune is Algiz, not Ehwaz.

Reminds me of the time i got super meat boy in a normal run before even getting to the womb. I got so many cubes of meat I thought the RNG was biased towards giving you more once you have the first.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Reminds me of the time i got super meat boy in a normal run before even getting to the womb. I got so many cubes of meat I thought the RNG was biased towards giving you more once you have the first.

CJacobs posted:

You should buy me a lottery ticket.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:stonk:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I hope the next patch takes the R key out. Maybe it could even add a ten-minute cooldown after you start a new game during which you can't start another new game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I hope the next patch takes the R key out. Maybe it could even add a ten-minute cooldown after you start a new game during which you can't start another new game.

its called playing on the ps4

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
It's caves II, I can get the steam sale and then buy this item and it will probably pay for itself by the end of depths.

*depths XL with greed that drops 2nd steam sale*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would you restart in the first place? It ruins your win streak if you do that.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:confuoot:

Missing No took a while to get. Now I need a solid alcohol supply for The Lost stuff. On the other hand that might not be a good idea.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you restart in the first place? It ruins your win streak if you do that.

When the game came out I went without restarts for the longest time because I assumed there would be some big unlock tied behind getting to a certain winstreak. It would be neat if the DLC had something like that. Not something crazy and tedious like 50+ but maybe rewarding players for getting a 10 winstreak. Or perhaps instead of an unlock, maybe just something like a non-permanent multiplier for Eden tokens once you reach certain milestones with winstreak.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If I'm not on a win streak and I see the Cellar as my first floor, I'm restarting that run because I hate that place so much.

If you don't have a powerful loadout as The Lost and are trying to do the boss rush, something you can do is to let the Carrion Queen poop all over the room, and then take her out when you think there's enough red poop on the floor. Then hide somewhere and watch as bosses kill themselves very fast. If the champion version spawns instead, yeah good luck with that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well that was a hilariously easy Judas run.

Messed up my screenshotting when it should've done it before I annihilated ???. Don't be perturbed by the low health, I just suck at dodging, always. But yeah, you know when Stigmata is your first item room, you know things are gonna go well. I believe this is Catacombs II, since I used Pandora's Box to get me the Pentagram. Everything else was Item Rooms and Devil Rooms, I can't think of a single bad item I got from there. You can even play things right and get Whore of Babylon in Depths II Devil Room, but doing the (Champion!) Boss Rush gives you Stem Cells.

Overall, I might remember this run for when I wanna wind down and beat the whole game in 25 minutes.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Well that was a hilariously easy Judas run.

:respek: just had a very similar Judas run. Holy Mantle in the first item room, Brimstone at 5 minutes, boss rush in 15. 077E E0C2
If only I could get that on Lost...

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
So I'm trying to unlock The Lost and I accidentally picked someone else instead of Azazel. Do I have to do sequence all over or will it be fine to just back out and pick Azazel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

sporadicsarcasm posted:

So I'm trying to unlock The Lost and I accidentally picked someone else instead of Azazel. Do I have to do sequence all over or will it be fine to just back out and pick Azazel?

According to everything I've read nothing breaks it up other than dying. Resetting is just fine.