Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

computer parts posted:

They did do something - they stopped.

Guantanamo is still open.

Bagram is still open.

I flat out don't believe the US is not currently torturing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

US citizens living overseas still file income taxes returns, but are allowed to deduct the first $100k-ish, so I'm still fulfilling my obligations.

I appreciate your concern, though.

You've never left. You will never leave, and you will always be complicit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Andrew Johnson spinning his grave so many disloyal throats might voice opposition to a nation that has done nothing but given itself for the world.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Devil posted:

Bagram is still open.

This more than anything is why Obama doesn't prosecute the Bush Administration. He'd be signing his own death warrant.

Great time to be an American. :smithicide:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

This more than anything is why Obama doesn't prosecute the Bush Administration. He'd be signing his own death warrant.

Is executive order still out of the question, and extending it to their placement on U.S. soil, maybe in D.C. since it's a fuzzy distinction territory?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right, as if the previous administration wasn't droning the poo poo out of weddings. It's not much, but I'll take blowing up weddings over blowing up weddings AND butt stuff AND a "gently caress you for asking questions" for good measure.
Seems like the choice is torture, murder and lies, or to double down on the murder and lies. Both parties seem real big on the murder and lies, but I guess the Democrats are less psyched about the butt stuff now than they were back then. Progress?

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah, seriously. Anyone that believes they're not still torturing with the same techniques that we've been hearing in these reports - if not worse, is fully delusional. Why should they stop when there's absolutely zero consequences to be faced for keeping up with it? It's damage control and PR. As long as there are mind-damaged people working behind and supervising three letter agencies, this sort of thing won't end anytime soon. The two party system can rectally infuse itself with a hummus coated banana, since both sides seem just as eager to get in on the torture game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They're Just Brown People Why Do You Care? - Non-miniscule portion of americans

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Seems like the choice is torture, murder and lies, or to double down on the murder and lies. Both parties seem real big on the murder and lies, but I guess the Democrats are less psyched about the butt stuff now than they were back then. Progress?

I fail to see a meaningful distinction.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Badera posted:

I fail to see a meaningful distinction.
Dude, there's like 100% less confirmed butt torture. That's a huge difference!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kitfox88 posted:

They're Just Brown People Why Do You Care? - Non-miniscule portion of americans

Yeah, the civil rights movement didn't end racism.

WWII didn't end fascism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNlSnSDfsT4&t=3630s

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'd really like to know which of these is true because I've heard them both out of the same camp:

"No one cares about torture/spying/etc. Don't vote for us if you don't want. There aren't enough of you to matter. :smug:"

"You fool! By not voting for us, you're handing the keys to the Republicans. You'll be sorry when Jeb Bush becomes president and does all the same stuff but worse! :derp:"

It's "you're not voting for us anyway so we don't really care (as long as we're winning), if we lose though then you'll be even madder".

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Also, educate people. Argue with your racist grandpas and your Tea Party-voting coworkers and your fence-sitting neighbors. Don't clam up when they parrot Fox News talking points for the sake of keeping the peace. Touch the poop. Yes, it's going to be a long, thankless ordeal. No, a lot of them won't actually listen. It's still worthwhile and necessary because as long as the general voting base has only the vaguest idea of why there's a problem, or even thinks that there IS no problem (or wouldn't be if those drat LIBRULS would stop AGITATING and RACE-BAITING), "Lesser of Two Evils" is the best we'll ever be able to do.

I actually think this is good advice. Something people need to keep in mind, however - you're not going to change the person's mind to whom you are engaged in debating/arguing with. The mind you DO change is the people who are listening in on your debate with the other person(s) and watching how you react to each other. This is a distinction that has changed entirely how I talk to people.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

Bagram is still open.

Closing Gitmo was specifically banned by congress in such a way that Obama literally had no choice in the matter. Again, there are things to insult the man on but Gitmo really isn't one of them unless you somehow think he should have vetoed the spending bill and sent the country into default.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah President Shuts Down Government Over Terrorists wouldn't have been a good headline for him, to put it mildly

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I have to say, "psychologically disadvantaged to their interrogator" has to be one of the most fantastic euphemisms for "we tortured the poo poo out of someone until they were a blubbering shell of a human". Top notch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm remembering when it was a big deal that Sadaam Hussein had "rape rooms."

Too bad he didn't have a Cheney on his side to explain that a good percentage of the people they were torturing were bad guys.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Too bad he didn't have a Cheney on his side to explain that a good percentage of the people they were torturing were bad guys.

It's different because it's America. We are the good guys, we don't torture or stoop to the level of evil. That's why we have to torture.

We have to destroy our principles in order to save them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TEAYCHES posted:

It's different because it's America. We are the good guys, we don't torture or stoop to the level of evil. That's why we have to torture.

We have to destroy our principles in order to save them.

Are they really principles if we haven't kept to them ever (or at least in the past century)?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The rape rooms and the plastic shredder room turned out to be completely fake, too. Great propaganda :lol:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

computer parts posted:

Are they really principles if we haven't kept to them ever (or at least in the past century)?

That's what really gets my goose though. The rhetoric of our leaders is so far from the reality that it's really sickening.

Some level of idealism I think is preferable to a realism that borders on nihilism - a shrug of the shoulders and a "welp this is just how it is" - I don't think that's healthy on any level. Even if you can't personally do anything about it, strongly rejecting it and being outspoken about it has its own value.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TEAYCHES posted:

That's what really gets my goose though. The rhetoric of our leaders is so far from the reality that it's really sickening.

Some level of idealism I think is preferable to a realism that borders on nihilism - a shrug of the shoulders and a "welp this is just how it is" - I don't think that's healthy on any level. Even if you can't personally do anything about it, strongly rejecting it and being outspoken about it has its own value.

When you define "strong rejection" as "sitting on your rear end and refusing to vote", that's nihilistic (or at least apathetic) in and of itself.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

computer parts posted:

When you define "strong rejection" as "sitting on your rear end and refusing to vote", that's nihilistic (or at least apathetic) in and of itself.

I keep voting for Not Dick Cheney and this torture keeps happening! Am I doing it wrong?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The U.S. had eel rape rooms in Vietnam. :ssh:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

computer parts posted:

I didn't define it as not voting, I defined it as being strongly outspoken, and I'd further say it's important to get involved in popular opposition when possible. You are really mean and I don't believe that you are arguing in Debate & Discussion in good faith.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

The U.S. had eel rape rooms in Vietnam. :ssh:

Did you mean real, or did we have actual eel rape rooms?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bel Shazar posted:

Did you mean real, or did we have actual eel rape rooms?

:nws: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

My god we are atrocious

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Let me just see what people I know are making of this appalling development.

quote:

Sleep deprivation, Britney Spears' music, and water boarding actually provide solid ratio of good to bad intel (UBL was bagged based on intel gained through these methods, so saying that "they don't work, period" is completely false).

quote:

That study didn't interview a single member of the interrogators at Guantanamo, nor is it very comprehensive. That report is actually comprised of purely second- or third-hand information. There are actually several more major issues with the report itself that put its credibility in serious doubt. In fact, most people who actually understand how intelligence is gathered (this includes people on the very committee that are on that released the report) condemn the report as nothing but a political stunt.

For example, in the report, they list an interrogation tactic called "slaps". A "slap" ranges anywhere from a light tap, that most people give themselves when they are trying to stay awake, to a strike that turns the receiver's head. Yet, nowhere in the report have I found any definition provided or description of what a "slap" means.

Another example: sleep deprivation. The average college student, based on this report, would also be considered a torture victim, as they don't always get a "good" (as medically defined, which is between 7-9 hours every day) sleep. I've pulled longer days than some of (if not most of) these "victims" during finals' week. I'll admit, staying awake for 100 hours is a feat, but it's nowhere near as "torturous" as what other nations have done (like say, the NVA during the late-1960's and 1970's).

quote:

I was waterboarded once, and while definitely not fun, it's designed to be more for the terror-inducing stress (and good grief does it do that job well) than any physical harm.

:suicide:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bel Shazar posted:

My god we are atrocious

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh well I feel a lot better that the CIA Report is just the latest in a long series of America human rights abuses.

US soldiers waterboarded and tortured Philippino independence fighters from 1899-1902.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The CIA tortured 40,000 Vietnamese civilians to death between 1965 and 1972. That is loving crazy to me and I had no idea.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

The CIA tortured 40,000 Vietnamese civilians to death between 1965 and 1972. That is loving crazy to me and I had no idea.

And yet people say America isn't improving.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

And yet people say America isn't improving.

It's like the more you learn the more you find that your worst fears became a reality before you were born... this friggin' place.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Anubis posted:

Closing Gitmo was specifically banned by congress in such a way that Obama literally had no choice in the matter.
This is simply not true. Congress certainly made the alternatives politically disadvantageous, but Congress absolutely can not force the executive branch to detain people.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

This is simply not true. Congress certainly made the alternatives politically disadvantageous, but Congress absolutely can not force the executive branch to detain people.

I notice you like selective quoting to try and make it seem like I didn't know an unrealistic option of vetoing the already contentious spending bill existed. But hey, the tens of thousands that would likely die in the economic turmoil of a US default is just the price of moral high ground, right? Seriously, hate him for the reasons you should but the man did spend more political capital trying to close gitmo than any other national politician that I'm aware of, even if that isn't a high bar to step over.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Anubis posted:

I notice you like selective quoting to try and make it seem like I didn't know an unrealistic option of vetoing the already contentious spending bill existed. But hey, the tens of thousands that would likely die in the economic turmoil of a US default is just the price of moral high ground, right? Seriously, hate him for the reasons you should but the man did spend more political capital trying to close gitmo than any other national politician that I'm aware of, even if that isn't a high bar to step over.

You know, when the 2013 shutdown went into effect, I was out in Washington on vacation. My mother and I were in Olympic National Park - we'd made it there literally an hour before it kicked in and they closed it to motor traffic. She asked me to explain just what the hell Congress was doing, and why, because she couldn't fathom anything that insanely-petty.

I told her, "Imagine the hostage scene from Blazing Saddles if the Sheriff had actually pulled the trigger."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it very difficult to believe the president couldn't close Guantanamo Bay if he wished to. It's an illegal operation in a foreign country run by dubious intelligence services and the military. I don't think there's a clause in the constitution assigning those powers exclusively to the legislative branch.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rand alPaul posted:

I find it very difficult to believe the president couldn't close Guantanamo Bay if he wished to. It's an illegal operation in a foreign country run by dubious intelligence services and the military. I don't think there's a clause in the constitution assigning those powers exclusively to the legislative branch.

Somehow it's making some people a lot of money and they are above the Constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Look closer, it's under Article I, Section 8, Paragraph We're Throwing A Tantrum Now Give Us What We Want Or We'll Drive This Government Straight Off A Cliff.

No wonder the Republicans claim that negotiation will only embolden terrorists. Just look at what it does for them.

• Locked thread