Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Main Paineframe posted:

hope you're young enough to lose your entire 401k in the event that the bubble pops earlier than you suspect. that's the thing about bubbles - a lot of people realize they're bubbles but still go all-in maximum-risk anyway because they think they'll have some way of knowing when to pull out before it pops

wish your father had known when to pulled out before it popped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

naked black dudes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cyrezar posted:

naked black dudes

Paging tbc

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

hope you're young enough to lose your entire 401k in the event that the bubble pops earlier than you suspect. that's the thing about bubbles - a lot of people realize they're bubbles but still go all-in maximum-risk anyway because they think they'll have some way of knowing when to pull out before it pops

yeah i'll be fine

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cyrezar posted:

naked black dudes

british broadcasting corporation

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hold on to your hats for this next post, it's going to be a doozy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

did they just price surge an hostage crisis?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

:stonklol:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

did they just price surge an hostage crisis?

blah blah cyberpunk dystopia blah blah

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

well in those days there were already carry everywhere devices that oyu could read books on. it was an insanely pouplar use of books

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

where the gently caress did valleywag go

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol, the next tweet says rides out of the area will be free, because that's how much they care

posted a half hour later

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao check out the replies to the original

Dame Maureen Chuck ‏@Dame_hohohchuck 1h1 hour ago
@Uber_Sydney Fares have increased to $100 minimum fare. How do you justify that? Way to ensure public won't see you as viable option to cabs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

uber: value your life? pony up

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

free market motherfuckers

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

disrupt your lifespan

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here's the real headline: Uber unfairly attacked over surge pricing during Sydney terror attack

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
that feel when your friend defends uber online

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

not technically a terrorist attack, nope not at all

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol they can't even wait to see if the hostages are safe to jam uber's dick in their mouth

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also from that website: "facebook search: a google+ killer?"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the number of amateur economist tech bros white knighting uber online is staggering

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

As a Millennial I posted:

the number of amateur economist tech bros white knighting uber online is staggering

i feel like they hit the same nerve that google nailed with the gmail beta

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i miss gmail having that increasing storage counter visible

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

This is not very good writing.

"Uber Inc. has unfairly come under attack after surge pricing took effect in Sydney, Australia during a terror attack Monday.

The attack, currently an ongoing siege at the time of writing, involved one or more gunmen and an unknown number of hostages (figures range from 13 through to 50) in a Sydney City coffee shop."

I may be stupid, but for a moment it seemed like the attack on Uber involved one or more gunmen.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
if only

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Clearly the user doesn’t though, or has never taken a basic lesson in economics. The Uber surge pricing deals with demand and scarcity, when demand increases the price increases to both reduce immediate demand and to increase supply, as Uber Sydney points out in a tweet.
 The system has been demonstrated time and time again as working, and the increased prices are not a demonstration of price gouging as much as they are a reflection of simple supply-side economics.

maybe if this shithead had taken more than just a basic lesson in economics he'd know that price gouging is just simple supply-side economics and there's nothing special about it at all from a beep-boop econ 101 perspective

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Surge pricing doesn't even do what it's supposed to do anyways. If there's a lot of demand, then the "incentive" to get more drivers out is the fact that if you're a driver, you're more likely to get a fare so more people will start driving anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pagancow posted:

2000-2001 crew rep

:respek:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the mattress thing is really important

if interest rates were 5%, but inflation was 6.7%, the spread on a savings account would be (about) the same, but you would be crazy to keep your money in a mattress.

when interest rates are 0%, but inflation is 1.7%, you might as well use a mattress or a safe in the wall who the gently caress cares what are money market accounts even good for

i don't get charged any fees by the bank so there'd be literally no difference in cost between mattress/safe and bank account, so between the two i'd really rather have my money in a federally insured bank account rather than in a mattress where it can get stolen or burned

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:respek:

i don't get charged any fees by the bank so there'd be literally no difference in cost between mattress/safe and bank account, so between the two i'd really rather have my money in a federally insured bank account rather than in a mattress where it can get stolen or burned

but you're giving fractions of dollars to a jew lizard bankster!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bassguitarhero posted:

Surge pricing doesn't even do what it's supposed to do anyways. If there's a lot of demand, then the "incentive" to get more drivers out is the fact that if you're a driver, you're more likely to get a fare so more people will start driving anyway.

It does do what it's supposed to do, which is make more money for Uber.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol they can't even wait to see if the hostages are safe to jam uber's dick in their mouth

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Blackjack2000 posted:

Goddamn I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about surge pricing. We're not talking about ambulance rides here (which, btw, can cost thousands of dollars in the states).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

two people were killed by an armed madman, but the real victim here is the multibillion dollar taxi company jacking up its rates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
won't somebody please think of uber here? they're having a hard enough time with their image as it is, and then those vultures in the press latch on to this?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmao

• Locked thread