Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

nutranurse posted:

Seriously, this is inarguably the biggest flaw of LoK. Most of the problems with Korra could be fixed if its creators had more episodes to do poo poo (or they could have given us even MORE Makorra, but who knows :shrug:).

Why do goons always jump to episode count as if it were the sole determinant of quality or pacing? If a show is too bloated at 20 episodes or too brisk at 12, that isn't a problem with the episode count, but with the show's writing and plotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure Kuvira is cray cray.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Aang's story is done and I really don't think seeing any more of it would be an improvement at all.

Also if we ever do get new series, I expect it to be done by Nickelodeon...with less than half the budget, by a different team, aimed at a younger audience, and focus grouped to hell. That should be about right for typical network over-reaction/misinterpretation of a failed series.

teen titans: go, but with Avatar

seriously though, if Anime Jesus existed he would have Toonami buy the Avatar franchise

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

icantfindaname posted:

seriously though, if Anime Jesus existed he would have Toonami buy the Avatar franchise

Oh, he exists, but...

I don't think he can do anything about this.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

gannyGrabber posted:

I'm pretty sure Kuvira is cray cray.

That doesn't make her inhuman.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think the problem with LoK is that the Avatar setting just isn't that interesting at the end of the day, and it's all the show really has going for it. The plotting and characters just aren't very good, and it tries to push the setting to make up for it, but I don't care.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

icantfindaname posted:

I think the problem with LoK is that the Avatar setting just isn't that interesting at the end of the day, and it's all the show really has going for it. The plotting and characters just aren't very good, and it tries to push the setting to make up for it, but I don't care.

I think the setting could have been interesting had they shown some glimpses into this rapidly industrializing world that's suddenly confronted with the past, like spirits merging with the physical world. Given the pacing problems and writing problems they had in S1 and 2, I doubt they could've done anything like that though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Irish Joe posted:

Why do goons always jump to episode count as if it were the sole determinant of quality or pacing? If a show is too bloated at 20 episodes or too brisk at 12, that isn't a problem with the episode count, but with the show's writing and plotting.

Yea I know the writers are nice and funny and all but if they knew they had 20ish episodes and we still have dropped poo poo from like the first couple episodes like 'so what was up with those bandits that conveniently attacked after Kuvara had her deal rejected and were using poo poo no random dirt bandits should have like flying machines, huh?' that's a problem with the writing, having five more episodes won't make it magically better. Somehow other shows manage to do better with less.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I know the writers are nice and funny and all but if they knew they had 20ish episodes and we still have dropped poo poo from like the first couple episodes like 'so what was up with those bandits that conveniently attacked after Kuvara had her deal rejected and were using poo poo no random dirt bandits should have like flying machines, huh?' that's a problem with the writing, having five more episodes won't make it magically better. Somehow other shows manage to do better with less.

Maybe they were assuming that people could connect the dots without outright saying it?

You're right that more episodes wouldn't fix that particular issue though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But the story is better without every detail being some master scheme by Kuvira. Making her a mustache twirling villain is boring; if she genuinely wants the best for her subjects and wants to unite the Earth Empire in order to create a better society for her people then she is much more interesting. You can debate if she is a better ruler that a puppet of Republic City/The Fire Nation. Like Zahier or Amon she has a legitimate point of view, rather than just being a power hungry despot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

But the story is better without every detail being some master scheme by Kuvira. Making her a mustache twirling villain is boring; if she genuinely wants the best for her subjects and wants to unite the Earth Empire in order to create a better society for her people then she is much more interesting. You can debate if she is a better ruler that a puppet of Republic City/The Fire Nation. Like Zahier or Amon she has a legitimate point of view, rather than just being a power hungry despot.

I agree that not literally everything has to tie back to her, but they straight up said 'woah that was weird how that randomly happened literally as soon as she didn't get what she wanted' and the dude in the flying machine super looked like the guy she arrested, which we also saw nothing come from other than I guess the assumption she puts all the bandits in the camps too?

edit: She can still make the case it's for a noble cause too. She's not grabbing random people and demanding they turn criminal, she's taking real rear end bandits and letting them be privateers for her noble earth empire to show the foolish resistance how harsh the world is without her protection and all that other Hitler poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how they literally can't win.

When the episode aired people were bitching about how of course Kuvira hired the bandits and it's impossible for a villain to not be behind everything. Now it's "it's bad writing that she didn't hired the bandits and so convenient they attacked right then!" Not the same people, of course, it's just a case where nothing at all can 'win.'

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
There are no winners in internet discussions, only people who like reading their own words.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

icantfindaname posted:

I seriously expect a new show to pop up on CN in two years from this team thats just Avatar with the numbers filed off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nutranurse posted:

There are no winners in internet discussions, only people who like reading their own words.

My objective is to create words I like to read. I win. :smug:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I suppose the giant mecha suit is the new "Aang using energybending" and after some years have passed people will accept it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Mraagvpeine posted:

I suppose the giant mecha suit is the new "Aang using energybending" and after some years have passed people will accept it.

I will never accept mecha suits.

icantfindaname posted:

Would unironically watch and love this.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mraagvpeine posted:

Not at all. Mecha suits appeared before the finale.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

What's the big deal with mecha suits when we saw that the Fire Nation had mobile armor and was well into the early 20th century levels of technology military wise.

Also, it's an anime and a super robot controlled by metalbending is a perfect capstone to it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Really, once metal-bending was introduced in the last series the only possible end result was giant mecha fights.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Really, once a giant drill tank was introduced in the last series the only possible end result was giant mecha fights.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Not at all. Mecha suits appeared before the finale.

Literally this. I like AtLA, but the ending had so many silly plotpoints out of literally nowhere. Meanwhile, robot suits have been around since LoK season 1.

Does it fit the setting? Not really, but I like it anyway. As long as the solution to beating the Colossus doesn't involve Korra's chakras getting fixed by a magic rock.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nutranurse posted:

Really, once metal-bending was introduced in the last series the only possible end result was giant mecha fights.

This is what I don't get about the butthurt, we've seen Toph and poo poo pull metal around her, did any of you legitimately think this would never be taken to the logical end point of 'oh, OH we can just put ALL OF US in metal with his bending...'?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Kuvira obviously was hiring bandits dumbasses. The first time you see her this season when she fights a bunch one of them almost says "Kuvira oh poo poo we didn't know this was your train sorry" but she puts metal around his mouth. Sorry, that the children's show villain isn't as complex as you want it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Possible giant mecha weakness: metalbending powered by avatar state

Punch away your problems, Korra!

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
All I ask from the finale is a scene were Lin tries to go all Attack on Titan on the mech

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Kuvira obviously was hiring bandits dumbasses. The first time you see her this season when she fights a bunch one of them almost says "Kuvira oh poo poo we didn't know this was your train sorry" but she puts metal around his mouth. Sorry, that the children's show villain isn't as complex as you want it.

Uh, he says "we didn't know that was your train" in that Kuvira was fighting her way across the kingdom, not "she hired us."

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, he says "we didn't know that was your train" in that Kuvira was fighting her way across the kingdom, not "she hired us."

It was obviously implied that they knew her, thus the conclusion can be drawn that she had hired them to gently caress poo poo up. Hth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Misandrist Wytch posted:

It was obviously implied that they knew her, thus the conclusion can be drawn that she had hired them to gently caress poo poo up. Hth.

Or they knew her because she is the general retaking the land? You know, the stated reason they said.

Yes, it was implied they knew her, because she is probably the single most important person in the kingdom at that time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Has propaganda posters of herself wherever she goes, of course they know what she looks like.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This isn't a dropped plot point.

You realize when the Earth Kingdom entered Warlord Era China territory the "bandits" people start talking about are mostly gonna be former military people with access to military hardware, right? This isn't hard.

Incidentally I just saw The Last Airbender movie by M. Night Shyamalan. It was loving amazing. I haven't seen that kind of dialogue since Star Wars Episode 2.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Lightning bending seems like a pretty handy power right about now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It probably wouldn't do much to the mech since it's moved by metalbending rather than electronics, and it wouldn't do much to the people inside because it's a giant conductive cage that'll absorb all the electricity. It's like being struck by lightning in your car.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Metalbenders in general should definitely be super extra vulnerable to lightning. Opal and Lin really shoulda brought Mako instead of Bolin to their murder attempts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Remember when Mako straight up murdered a woman on screen in Book 3?

Good times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Metalbenders in general should definitely be super extra vulnerable to lightning. Opal and Lin really shoulda brought Mako instead of Bolin to their murder attempts.

Remember that time the Equalists disabled the entire police force and Tenzin with their shock gauntlets?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

Remember when Mako straight up murdered a woman on screen in Book 3?

Yeah, because its the only fight Mako's ever won.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Oh, durp.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I hope they don't actually mention that on screen so people can add that as another "dropped" plot line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I remembered that after my "zero foreshadowing" post but decided the giant mecha they built secretly in less than a month (?) was still stupid :colbert:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread