Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

http://youtu.be/bHCQA1EJiC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Has anyone other than Abbott used the phrase 'death cult'? Because the Tele have lifted that phrase straight onto their front pages before.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

And now for something completely different(ly fukt)

Herald Sun posted:

Crybaby jihadists: Aussie militants call for help

DISILLUSIONED recruits who joined the Islamic State terrorist group have sought assistance from the Australian Government to leave the conflict zone in Syria and Iraq.

A handful of young men who took up arms with IS to fight for an Islamic caliphate across the region have, either directly or through their families at home, contacted Australian authorities for help.

It is believed up to a dozen Australians, most of whom flew to Syria to join militants fighting the al-Assad regime, found themselves in limbo after laying down their weapons but fearing they would be arrested under tougher counterterrorism laws if they ­returned to Australia.

The men, including two from Queensland and several from other states, claim they were duped into fighting with terror groups after IS took ­control of a range of militant outfits. Many foreign recruits have been dragooned into the IS rampage against Shi’ite ­Muslims after arriving to fight Syrian forces.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade continues to receive requests for consular assistance from Australians in Iraq and Syria and from their families in Australia but will not specify the reasons.

An estimated 60-plus Australians are fighting with IS, another 20 have died in fighting, including two suicide bombers, and more than 20 have returned.

At least two Australian women, 18 and 20, have joined an influx of hundreds of women from Europe and elsewhere flying to the conflict to offer themselves as brides for terrorists.

Some families concerned for the safety of wayward sons persuaded by the IS call to jihad are believed to have sought assistance from DFAT to establish their whereabouts or any information on whether they were alive or among the known casualties.

Attorney-General George Brandis said last week “any Australian seeking to leave the conflict zones is encouraged to contact family members or authorities’’.

A DFAT spokesman said consular assistance was no longer available in Syria and Iraq because of the “extremely dangerous security situation”.

“The capacity to follow up ­reports of deaths in Syria or Iraq is extremely limited,” he said. “Reports of the deaths of Australians are a reminder to would-be foreign terrorist fighters that Australians joining terrorist groups such as ISIL are being exploited.”

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo hahaha

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pred1ct posted:

Has anyone other than Abbott used the phrase 'death cult'? Because the Tele have lifted that phrase straight onto their front pages before.

I really enjoyed Micallef's 'debt cult'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few more people escaped / released.

E: Two women.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Anidav posted:

The next Brisgoon meet can be in Newmarket so I can just walk my dog to the location.

I really should go to one of those.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Surely the ADL doesn't have any on-ground activity and is mostly online and probably won't cause a race riot.

Something something Cronulla something country of racist shitheads

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

chyaroh posted:

Sounds like a terrorist threat to me. Interesting to see if it ever is reported as such.

Why do we keep allowing white guys to be voted into office, spreading their ideology

We just need to lock em all up or at least not let any more in to our country

If anyone in Lakemba gets bashed, their blood is on the hands of anyone who called us reverse racists, or self-hating against white people, they are NOT PEACEFUL now its become a reality in our own country WELL loving DONE GUYS

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bifauxnen posted:

Why do we keep allowing white guys to be voted into office, spreading their ideology

If anyone in Lakemba gets bashed, their blood is on the hands of anyone who called us reverse racists, or self-hating against white people, they are NOT PEACEFUL now its become a reality in our own country WELL loving DONE GUYS

It's their culture

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Tommofork posted:

And now for something completely different(ly fukt)

That reminds me of this guy - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-01/indian-is-recruit-quits-after-being-told-to-clean-toilets/5932520

Went to fight for the Glory of Islam.

Fought a (dirty) war against poop and E. Coli instead.

quote:

An Indian student who travelled to Iraq to join the Islamic State (IS) group has returned home disillusioned after jihadists made him clean toilets and do other menial jobs, according to local media reports.

Areeb Majeed, 23, who left for Iraq with three friends in late May, flew home Friday to Mumbai where he was arrested and charged by India's elite National Investigation Agency (NIA) with terror-related offences.

Majeed told NIA officers he was sidelined by the jihadists for whom he fetched water and performed other lowly tasks such as cleaning toilets, instead of taking part in the deadly offensive like he wanted, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

He phoned his family to say he wanted to come home after suffering an unexplained bullet wound for which he did not get proper medical attention, the NIA said late Sunday.

"Only after I begged them, I was taken to a hospital," he was quoted as saying by NIA officers.

"There was neither a holy war nor any of the preachings in the holy book were followed."

Tanvir Sheikh, the father of one of Majeed's friends who was still missing in Iraq, said he felt betrayed by his son.

Mr Sheikh said his son Fahad was offered a job in Kuwait but instead decided to travel to Iraq to join the extremists.

"He had got a job offer from Kuwait with a salary of three lakh rupees ($4,800) but he ignored that and instead took up arms. Now what happens to his future?" Mr Sheikh told the Indian Express newspaper on Monday.

"I feel let down by my son. He had a bright career ahead of him but he took advantage of our love and betrayed us."

India's moderate population of 150 million Muslims have traditionally not been drawn into sectarian conflicts in the Middle East and elsewhere, but the case of the four raised concerns about online recruitment.

Radicalised foreigners have been drawn to the IS group, which has conducted a series of mass executions and other atrocities since launching its offensive in Iraq and Syria in June.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Neif posted:

That reminds me of this guy - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-01/indian-is-recruit-quits-after-being-told-to-clean-toilets/5932520

Went to fight for the Glory of Islam.

Fought a (dirty) war against poop and E. Coli instead.
He's getting off easy cleaning toilets; at the height of the insurgency in Iraq, foreign fighters (Saudis in the article I read) were only getting offers to drive suicide car bombs from local insurgents. They went home in disgust.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ABC 24 is now interviewing a random passerby wearing a headscarf on her feelings about this situation. :bravo:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So what paper will run the "AUSTRALIA'S 9/11" headline? Or is that a step too far even for your media?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

thatbastardken posted:

An ex-copper I know claimed to have shot someone's ear off in a siege situation, and got into a shitload of trouble because he missed the head.

Training is if you have to discharge your firearm you are shooting to kill. None of these knee shots or anything; you pull the trigger you are removing someone from the equation.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
That already happened - the Daily Tele wins with "THE MOMENT AUSTRALIA CHANGED FOREVER"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So what paper will run the "AUSTRALIA'S 9/11" headline? Or is that a step too far even for your media?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

Okay what the gently caress, that front page is bad enough, the back page is probably worse:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Will have to wait and see how it plays out, if he blows himself up all bets are off.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Latest from NSW Police:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I dunno you guys, lets wait until The Courier Mail before we hand out this award.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The instant we had to change which media we consume

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Was hoping for all hostages released and hostage-taker emerge like a nong before it got too late New York time. Or at least an Ernest Hemmingway impression from the guy.

No luck, it seems.

I hope to wake up to headlines telling me this was all resolved peacefully.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh I saw the "moment we changed forever" thing which is pretty hilariously crass and stupid, but I was hoping to see "9/11" in big letters. Don't fail me now shitrags!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pyramid Scheme posted:

I hope to wake up to headlines telling me this was all resolved peacefully.

I hope so too. Unfortunately whatever happens, we'll have the media pontificating all over it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

I dunno you guys, lets wait until The Courier Mail before we hand out this award.

Good point, just yesterday they already literally had "AUSSIE BRIDES OF JIHADI DEVILS". I can't even loving imagine what they're going to have tomorrow.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Congratulations, you're just as racist as them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A guy on ABC is like "This happens in Israel everyday" okay...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Has somebody pointed out to him that as bad as we are we aren't acutually currently occupying Palestine?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I'm sure it's been quoted but you can make a complaint using this form on the press council's website.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pfft, Sydney had a mini 9/11 before 9/11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Hilton_Hotel_bombing

And the thing is fingers were pointed at ASIO for causing it

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Rapner posted:

Worse even. A million billion times more racist.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

katlington posted:

Bee-eye-foe is no longer an Australian hero :(

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

katlington posted:

But I didn't even quote the rest of that last one cause it was too long, shouldn't it really be more like 90% as racist?

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
The worst kind of racist, the reverse racist.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Rapner posted:

can i introduce you to the concept of humour

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
People are taking selfies in front of the police cordon :cripes:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meat Miracle posted:

The worst kind of racist, the reverse racist.

Does a reverse racist moonwalk into a building and call everyone slurs?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

You Am I posted:

Pfft, Sydney had a mini 9/11 before 9/11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Hilton_Hotel_bombing

And the thing is fingers were pointed at ASIO for causing it

To be fair Aussie intelligence services have a bad history with hotels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

People are taking selfies in front of the police cordon :cripes:

Well they were told to go about their everyday business.

• Locked thread