Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think they were saying mid-January even before the strike started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think they were saying mid-January even before the strike started.

Well I'm sure they're pretty good at hedging their bets at this point.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To cut down on warehouse space CMoN is shipping out zombicide season 3 Rue Morgue sets early in the US at no cost.

Queue a million comments complaining about how they aren't shipping out foreign orders / the early bird people aren't getting EVERYTHING early / people who missed the pledge lock in aren't shipping yet / etc, etc.
Nobody can do anything good on kickstarter.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

LordAba posted:

To cut down on warehouse space CMoN is shipping out zombicide season 3 Rue Morgue sets early in the US at no cost.

Queue a million comments complaining about how they aren't shipping out foreign orders / the early bird people aren't getting EVERYTHING early / people who missed the pledge lock in aren't shipping yet / etc, etc.
Nobody can do anything good on kickstarter.

God, that reminds me of Gencon last year. CMoN went out of their way to have what they had in stock of Zombicide 2 there for the backers that wanted to pick some stuff up early. I decided against it (because of bag space) but I wanted to approach anyway out of curiosity (and I wanted to try my luck in getting the only Zombicide miniature I'm missing). The FIRST thing I hear is a dude going "YOU GUYS ARE DOING A TERRIBLE JOB" because presumably they didn't have EVERYTHING in stock.

I... I don't think some people understand how 'making things' works.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Flying Frog didn't do the best job with Shadows of Brimstone- not communicating frequently enough, struggling with some international orders- but I thought it was a pretty good faith effort for a small company with no prior kickstarter experience. But basically within two weeks or so of the kickstarter ending there were backers literally stalking them and calling the developers on private numbers they had found.

While the company was at Essen and was working on getting EU orders shipped out, they mentioned the name of the distributor they were partnering with to help get everything out. That partner then received a ton of abuse and calls from irate backers who wanted to know where their stuff was. One of the updates pleaded with backers to not go around harassing their partners who probably weren't too keen to work with them again afterwards.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I feel like anyone who gets that worked up over deadlines has no business Kickstarting anything.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

malkav11 posted:

I feel like anyone who gets that worked up over deadlines has no business Kickstarting anything.

Yup. I 100% agree with you on this. Suck it up and wait like everyone else.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I treat it sort of like a wishing well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea obviously there's a line, like if the dude just VANISHES for a month past the deadline it's fair to go 'uh, did I just get screwed here?' but if the dude's working and making an effort on it I don't know how anyone on KS at this point gets whiny about shipping times. Yea man, this isn't a real rear end store, you threw your money at a guy actively telling you the poo poo was not ready yet, it'll probably take a bit. If I went into a store and saw a picture of a cool thing and said 'here's twenty dollars, make that thing for me and five hundred other people' I'm probably not getting that thing for a little bit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Right now Nightfall and Alas Vegas are the only projects that have totally crapped out on me. Considering how many I back, that's a great ratio. (Even Cairn finally came through with something!)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So far I've only got Up Front! on my bad list. Oh well! I made more than my money back on the discounted ks rate of like 2 video games that were 20 bucks to back and came out at 45-60.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don't back goon projects. I've completely given up on Deck of Legends.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Last Stand and Inverse World worked out fine for me. 100 Dungeons is on the bubble and I'm not worried about Spirit of '77.

Also I forgot about Up Front!, so three failures from 75 KS campaigns.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think any of the projects I've backed (not that many compared to most kickstarter addicts) are actually going to fail to deliver, but I'm kind of sad I backed Minion. Because now it's called LOL Wars after getting threatened by Universal Studios to change their game's name.

On the other hand I got it mostly as a possible alternative to Munchkin, and maybe people who like Munchkin will like that name, so it could end up being a plus? I guess time will tell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Frisk posted:

Don't back goon projects. I've completely given up on Deck of Legends.

Wasn't there a fairly recent update on that one showing another whole suit of art?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jivjov posted:

Wasn't there a fairly recent update on that one showing another whole suit of art?

The last update, which did show the Divine suit, was on September 1st, fully 3 months ago. It's one of the worst Kickstarters I've backed, although I guess I'm (usually) a pretty discerning person.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

The last update, which did show the Divine suit, was on September 1st, fully 3 months ago. It's one of the worst Kickstarters I've backed, although I guess I'm (usually) a pretty discerning person.

Oh wow...time flies. I would have sworn that that was just like 3 weeks ago or so.

EDIT: Public comment from 7 days ago:

Kaitlynn Peavler posted:

It will probably be the beginning of February. I still have a handful of images to complete. I plan on atleast getting a sample deck soon to check the printing. I've got some projects coming up to in the new year which should help me get all my funds together to get this done.
I've also started on a new medication for my anxiety which should help me out with getting my work flow back under control.

So, she's still around and posting at least.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 13, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Last Stand and Inverse World worked out fine for me. 100 Dungeons is on the bubble and I'm not worried about Spirit of '77.

Yeah, I backed Last Stand and Inverse World and they came through fine, give or take some delays, but I think "expect some delays" is just a fundamental part of kickstartering. I have confidence in Spirit of '77 and Breakfast Cult to both deliver as well.

I did also back Deck of Legends, and I'd love to eventually get what I backed for, but even then it at least appears that updates are happening and some sort of progress is being made. "Don't back goon kickstarters" seems like dumb advice, especially considering the numerous non-goon projects which manage to gently caress themselves up all on their own. I'm happier having backed Deck of Legends than I would be had I backed Exalted 3E, or god forbid Far West.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 13, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There seem to be a lot of people offering advice of varying quality for running a Kickstarter drive, the advertising and presentation and such, but nowhere near enough addressing what to do when you're successful, or how much to ask for in the first place. Nobody really discusses their fulfillment costs, or how they decided on a printer that isn't DTRPG, and it seems like that lack of forethought or shared wisdom keeps biting other projects in the rear end.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still don't have my hard copies of Inverse World, it's pretty silly. It's no Axes and Anvils, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Echophonic posted:

I still don't have my hard copies of Inverse World, it's pretty silly.

Huh, I've had mine for ages, it's sitting on my nightstand.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, I've had mine for ages, it's sitting on my nightstand.

I'm still waiting on my customized one (which is apparently including my other clean hardcopy), specifically. The last update was back in November that they were 80% done with that stuff.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I can't find much information on this Captain's Wager Kickstarter that's ending in 19 hours. Can anyone comment?

And regarding TALUVA: DELUXE VERSION, the components look nice on the $127 tier on this one, but I never even heard about this game before. I would like to hear some opinions about this before falling for the looks alone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just got another package, this time it was The Agents! Lots of cards, even managed to snag a pack of the spoofs from the first Kickstarter. It's the second game I've gotten, but they still felt bad about taking "too long" to send things out so they added a booklet with some of the art from the game.

Don't worry if you pledged for it and didn't get your stuff yet, I live in the same country as the game creators.

e: actually the art book was part of the pledge in my case :hurr:
I was supposed to get another poster I guess, but didn't get one. I really don't care personally but hopefully they don't forget adding them for many others.

e2: and checking more closely, the bounties expansion tokens seem to be a bit problematic, guess I'll have to contact Saar.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 14, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

echoMateria posted:

And regarding TALUVA: DELUXE VERSION, the components look nice on the $127 tier on this one, but I never even heard about this game before. I would like to hear some opinions about this before falling for the looks alone.

It's a decent game and the Deluxe version is gorgeous, but honestly $100 is too much for a deluxe version of a short gateway game.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bieeardo posted:

There seem to be a lot of people offering advice of varying quality for running a Kickstarter drive, the advertising and presentation and such, but nowhere near enough addressing what to do when you're successful, or how much to ask for in the first place. Nobody really discusses their fulfillment costs, or how they decided on a printer that isn't DTRPG, and it seems like that lack of forethought or shared wisdom keeps biting other projects in the rear end.

Agreed 100%. It would be very good to know this. I've been looking around and I'm just lost. I found a printer that some guys who published RPGs mentioned and got an online quote and the price was frankly ridiculous even if I wanted to print 1000 books, even before thinking about shipping. Right now I'm costing things out for DTRPG because I literally have no idea how to do otherwise. How were the Burning Wheel guys able to do a hardcover for $25 including shipping and make any money at all?

If I do it through DTRPG and just give people a voucher for an at-cost copy, I don't have to worry about getting screwed on shipping price changes. In fact, I don't have to worry about shipping or fulfillment or lost packages at all - once I give the voucher, all that poo poo is on DTRPG to handle (right?). So why would I go through the trouble of doing anything else? Is there some printer out there that will do the books at higher quality and at a price far enough below DTRPG to entice me to want to deal with printing shipping labels and buying boxes and looking up international rates and re-sending lost shipments and all that poo poo?

Edit: Also, I promise that when my KS is done I will be posting what I asked for and why and where the money went. That information should be out there. Why am I going into this with absolutely no idea how much money I should be expecting to keep for myself?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So where's my copy of Far West? Wasn't it meant to be out now?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cassa posted:

So where's my copy of Far West? Wasn't it meant to be out now?

I believe it'll be late (again again again) after the 17th.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Plague of Hats posted:

I believe it'll be late (again again again) after the 17th.

December 17th, 2015

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Agreed 100%. It would be very good to know this. I've been looking around and I'm just lost. I found a printer that some guys who published RPGs mentioned and got an online quote and the price was frankly ridiculous even if I wanted to print 1000 books, even before thinking about shipping. Right now I'm costing things out for DTRPG because I literally have no idea how to do otherwise. How were the Burning Wheel guys able to do a hardcover for $25 including shipping and make any money at all?

I highlighted the faulty assumption at work for you. As far as I know Luke Crane et al at Burning Wheel HQ make little to no money off Burning Wheel (and their other RPG projects). It's a labor of love. They have day jobs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Luke Crane probably has some of the worst business sense of anyone in this industry. Never reprint, never digitally distribute, and if licencing your game to Mouseguard actually yields money never do anything like that again. He reminds me a lot of musicians I knew who hated the idea of 'selling out' by getting compensated for their work.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I backed Last Stand and Inverse World and they came through fine, give or take some delays, but I think "expect some delays" is just a fundamental part of kickstartering. I have confidence in Spirit of '77 and Breakfast Cult to both deliver as well.

Did the backer-only supplement for Last Stand ever show up? I don't remember that happening.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Emong posted:

Did the backer-only supplement for Last Stand ever show up? I don't remember that happening.

He said back in August that they were still pending. Still, I've been getting a bit nervous ever since he announced he was "closing up shop".

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

moths posted:

Luke Crane probably has some of the worst business sense of anyone in this industry. Never reprint, never digitally distribute, and if licencing your game to Mouseguard actually yields money never do anything like that again. He reminds me a lot of musicians I knew who hated the idea of 'selling out' by getting compensated for their work.

It's interesting to contrast that with the fact that he now works at Kickstarter, dealing with tabletop games.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bieeardo posted:

That's because Kickstarter is a funding platform, it doesn't change how a product is produced and distributed.
If you want to know how much it will cost to print your product, email some printers and get a quote.
Then... If you want to know how much it will cost to ship your product once it's produced, email some shipping companies and get a quote.
Then... If you want to know how much to ask for in your Kickstarter campaign, add up all the costs you get from quotes, add 10% for Kickstarter and Amazon Fees and that's your number.

If you don't have the knowledge and skills to produce your project, then you shouldn't even be thinking about Kickstarter, you should be learning those things first.

Jimbozig posted:

Edit: Also, I promise that when my KS is done I will be posting what I asked for and why and where the money went. That information should be out there. Why am I going into this with absolutely no idea how much money I should be expecting to keep for myself?

If you're expecting any real profit from a TG related Kickstarter, then you're in the wrong business. I treat Roleplaying game production as a hobby that (mostly) pays for itself.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

InShaneee posted:

He said back in August that they were still pending. Still, I've been getting a bit nervous ever since he announced he was "closing up shop".

She's said she's committed to finishing off the rewards from both Last Stand kickstarter or handing things off to other people who are able to commit to that, so I'm pretty confident they'll be delivered.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

clockworkjoe posted:

It's interesting to contrast that with the fact that he now works at Kickstarter, dealing with tabletop games.

It seems like it would be a better fit for him, since he seems more interested in one-time projects than sustaining any of them.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Jedit posted:

It's a decent game and the Deluxe version is gorgeous, but honestly $100 is too much for a deluxe version of a short gateway game.

Yea, at $179 including shipping it needs to be a game all my group would love to play regularly. Huge thick cardboard pieces and quality wooden components always adds to the fun, but if the game is very light, it might not get enough table-time to justify spending on it that much.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

If I do it through DTRPG and just give people a voucher for an at-cost copy, I don't have to worry about getting screwed on shipping price changes. In fact, I don't have to worry about shipping or fulfillment or lost packages at all - once I give the voucher, all that poo poo is on DTRPG to handle (right?). So why would I go through the trouble of doing anything else? Is there some printer out there that will do the books at higher quality and at a price far enough below DTRPG to entice me to want to deal with printing shipping labels and buying boxes and looking up international rates and re-sending lost shipments and all that poo poo?

You can dropship books through CreateSpace, but I'm not sure if it's cheaper than DTRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just got Dungeon Lords anniversary edition in the post (just the new stuff)! I wasn't expecting it until after christmas! They didn't charge for their uero-VAT fuckup even though I specified that I needed to pay them more on the survey! A true Christmas miracle!

On the other hand, the game box is too big for my backpack :stonklol:

• Locked thread