Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Koobze posted:

So, I was embarrassed about making GBS threads all over this game

See right there's the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I had lots of fun with starbound than no update.

want update

update now

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Section Z posted:

Yeah, though even if "more lethal than 3 hits you dead with armor vs a slightly stronger enemy = 4 hits without armor", the other half of the combat problem was regular and accessible healing from getting hit so much as once.

When the entire planet is spawning piles of enemies who can take out 1/4 of your health bar, or any amount of it, even without the new cooldowns on food you can only grow and carry so many banana breads before they run out.

Moment to moment, or bonfire to bonfire :darksouls: it is not quite as bad. But when traveling across and inside entire planets at a time, it really adds up.

EDIT: I'm sure it won't be as bad as I expect, but I'm not figuring it to be as convenient as some say either.

I always carry a bed because it's the only long term solution. :(

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Shoehead posted:

poo poo I have to update my mods now don't I? drat you chaclkefish!!!

Return of the skeletrons please.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

hi, hello yes, what am sandmining?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They should make a bed which is a coffin and you bury yourself in the ground to heal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

They should make a bed which is a coffin and you bury yourself in the ground to heal.

Well, there IS a Coffin bed at the very least :v: Thing about beds is unless there have been some changes (or you use a mod), they still took a billion years to heal you. Even before your armor climbed up a ways.

EDIT: vvv I was so drat glad when they made chairs pause hunger, so I could make burying myself in a chair count as my pause button in my single player experience. Though now that they got rid of hunger, I can just bury myself (unless one of the tricks up their sleeve is in fact a pause button).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Section Z posted:

Well, there IS a Coffin bed at the very least :v: Thing about beds is unless there have been some changes (or you use a mod), they still took a billion years to heal you. Even before your armor climbed up a ways.

thats why you bury yourself and alt-tab somewhere else

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Reiley posted:

thats why you bury yourself and alt-tab somewhere else

or bury yourself and close the game (ahehehehehhehehe)

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/bug-cant-move-on-my-ship.49208/

If you never encased yourself entirely in condensed poo poo, you havent really played starbound

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If a monster can kill you in just a few hits then every combat is life-or-death anyway and it removes the ability to roll around with anything less than full health, which is fine except that the designers have made regenerating health an incredibly painful process. gently caress it, make beds into a full heal. Just make them take a few seconds or something, if making you wait around is good enough for double-jumping and firing guns then it's good enough for healing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
When is there going to be a creative mode for weirdos like me who don't give a poo poo about combat inasmuch as it allows me to get more blocks to make asteroid bases and flesh castles?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'm sure someone will mod in an item with an aura of death that just kills every enemy that comes on screen right after it's updated.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think the most "creative" broken weapons mod, would be the ability to copy the attacks of common randomly generated enemies.

The most satisfying unbalanced weapons and abilities are always when you use the ones claimed to be totally fair and balanced, right up until you get to use them instead of the only enemy and :tviv:

I know it doesn't always work out for an actual balancing check, but if something the player has is super hellish to deal with in enemy hands, or something enemies have breaks the game in half if players get to use it, things may not be adding up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

When is there going to be a creative mode for weirdos like me who don't give a poo poo about combat inasmuch as it allows me to get more blocks to make asteroid bases and flesh castles?

Admin mode doesn't let you fly exactly like Minecraft, but it does give you infinite energy and attacks don't touch you anymore. I guess you could use a tech to fly since your energy is infinite. You can spawn blocks and stuff. It's not as fully featured as you might like but maybe it'd help?

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
is this game still worth playing? I played it for a bit, then quit. idk I just kinda got bored.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nosam0819 posted:

is this game still worth playing? I played it for a bit, then quit. idk I just kinda got bored.

a trailer for the big update that's gonna come out in january was just posted a page or so ago, so check that out and see if it looks cool, i guess? there wasn't way too much at first but they've been working on stuff, so hey.

also i'm pretty sure that someone made a mod for a creative mode pretty early on when that was possible, although i might be remembering wrong.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

That quest progression still exists, it's just a little different, and they're using your ship's computer AI as a Navi type character to advise you.

The first MM upgrade is liquid mining in the nightly, and it lets you pick up poison water if you find it, also makes drilling down to the planet's core easier because you can dump just enough water in the hole to cushion any fall but not so much you drown in it.

Progression is: pick up your flashlight from the ship's locker along with your race's weapon, beam down to planet and get wood and make a camping fire, then a crafting table, then hunt some things for meat, then make a stone furnace, then you dig down to the planet for core fragment ore, take that back to the ship and it fixes your ship for travel within the system. You see a gateway and go visit it, it takes you to the outpost where you get a quest for iron bars to make an iron crafting table, then that npc starts giving you a sidequest chan that eventually gets you a blank tech card. It branches off from there to other NPCs and it seems every tier of gear is associated with a mission you can go do and replay by talking to your ship's AI. After you get the steel tier stuff, you unlock a faster mining MM upgrade for some gold bars, of which you will have plenty because gold ore is easier to find than iron right now for some reason. The only real bitch in all of it is iron is rare as poo poo right now, and I don't know if that's a bug in the procedural generation stuff or it's intended you spend about 10 hours mining on your first set of planets to get enough iron for steel stuff to fix your ship.

After running into that iron grind if it makes it to the unstable you'll see why bitching about the combat is entirely missing the worst aspect of the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nosam0819 posted:

Sort of but not really? Like you said, it was sort of an empty shell of a game. Fun to dick around with for a while, but with nothing to keep you there. Maybe if you play nightly it'd be better but again, not really, it's all hosed up in who-knows-what ways.

Hopefully this update will kinda be the first step towards moving filling in that empty shell with content and making it worth playing. Give it a couple weeks/month, maybe?

edit:

Bauxite posted:

IRON WHAT THE gently caress

After a poo poo ton of people harassed metadept (a dev) about the iron, and he played himself and didn't find a lot, he finally ended up tweaking the spawn for it a little higher sometime yesterday. Hopefully that helps. Either that or there's something hosed up, goddammit fix the loving iron problem I've never been able to find anywhere near as much iron as any other ore.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 15, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Nosam0819 posted:

Just like wine, StarBound gets better with age. So pack up your copy and save it as a gift for your grandchildren, they will love playingwaiting for an update.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

This game is dead

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"New fuel system" and "new progression" makes me worried that we'll gonna be confined to one system until we complete 9-20 fetch quests. But I guess it's a price to pay if I wanna ride around the universe looting every planet in it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Farming is still broken in the nightlies, right?

And you still drop all your ores on death, riight?

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 15, 2014

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Oh hey a new update video thing I guess I should come here and see whats up

Fargin Icehole posted:

That Combat enhanced mod one of you guys made was loving awesome. Clearing out prisons with a fully automatic assault rifle was great, Also the better mining where it was 4X4 instead of 3X3, it made the game infinitely better.
That was me :3:
I will probably end up making my poo poo work again when the new stuff hits stable in January. Until then, :effort:
At the very least it seems like I'm gonna have to end up unfucking combat or something

victrix posted:

I didn't follow this game closely, what happened to all the mods/modders for it? I know soon after early access someone was doing badass mech suits and poo poo, did modders keep working on it, or did the lack of a stable release hose mod efforts?

Zeron posted:

The whole nightly thing killed most of it. There are still a few people creating mods for the last unstable and some who keep up with the nightlies but it's a ton of effort so not many.
Babe Magnet is on point, this is basically exactly it

Babe Magnet posted:

The problem a lot of us modders had with the long update is that, as part of this update, large portions of the code that we used to mod in stuff are being changed, to the point where we may have to go in an basically rewrite everything. So you were kind of stuck between continuing to mod know that you're just giving yourself more work in the long run, or trust in that "preview" they ran on the blog a while back that showed a WIP version of the setup they were going to be using.

E: And yeah, you could try and brute force your way through the nightlies but they're such a loving hassle.

Babe Magnet posted:

Realistically, as long as they keep updating, they're going to keep breaking mods. I wouldn't expect mod fuckage to stop until 1.0, maybe even later. It's how they break them that's the issue. If they change a function or two in order to improve stability or whatever, that's something we can bounce back from in like a day. But when they're redoing large parts about how mods are coded, take 8 months to actually release that update, and in the meantime not give us a mostly-stable platform to actually test and rewrite our mods on, well, that's what kills mods.
In addition I was waiting for the modding power+flexibility they promised, they were supposed to have opened up modding a lot more so that I could change a lot more poo poo, but well that hasn't seemed to happen (I'm sure everyone is shocked). I'll probably do something anyways because I'm a no-life loser idiot, whatever.

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 15, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Desideratus posted:

(I'm sure everyone is shocked)

Anyone who expects ChuckleFish to deliver on even half of what they've promised has StarDowns.
(has anyone used that pun yet????)

Seriously though, thanks for modding the game, you modders make it worth hanging on.

I have StarDowns :downsgun:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

And you still drop all your ores on death, riight?

They (re-)added a casual mode where you only drop pixels on death.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

XboxPants posted:

most of the Nightly updates are just content updates

lmao

also lmao

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
..the gently caress am I looking at?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The perfect crime: hire a team of graphics designers to make an amazing beautiful kickstarter pitch showing footage of a nonexistent game, get a million dollars, then give an indian dev 100k to make a lovely game that fulfills the kickstarter promises in letter only. Chucklefish was stupid in hiring first world devs at first world wages.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Desideratus posted:

In addition I was waiting for the modding power+flexibility they promised, they were supposed to have opened up modding a lot more so that I could change a lot more poo poo, but well that hasn't seemed to happen (I'm sure everyone is shocked). I'll probably do something anyways because I'm a no-life loser idiot, whatever.
I don't know what extent they promised, but is modding really not more powerful than it was? I could have sworn I'd heard they'd opened up more things, and LUA scripting wasn't always in, right?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So, looks like some poo poo got done, right? I've been ignoring this until it was updated a bit.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Shnooks posted:

So, looks like some poo poo got done, right? I've been ignoring this until it was updated a bit.
Continue to ignore it, because nothing has actually happened yet.

quote:

"Any day now!"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

Continue to ignore it, because nothing has actually happened yet.

There's a thing called Nightly Build that I'm playing right now and it's pretty much everything from the update that's going to be pushed to unstable later this week.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Soral
May 30, 2009

they would have to be to put up with this lovely game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Soral posted:

they would have to be to put up with this lovely game

I never understood what's the bitching is all about when it comes to Starbound.

The game looks good, plays quite good and there are weekly updates that everyone has access too.

Could someone explain to me what the issue here is?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

I never understood what's the bitching is all about when it comes to Starbound.

The game looks good, plays quite good and there are weekly updates that everyone has access too.

nice troll shitlord

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Watched the trailer last night, went to bed with a head full of cold medicine and starbounddreams.

Woke up this morning, excited to play. Only to realize that just because the trailer came out doesn't mean the patch did. drat it cold medicine, why you make me forget things!

:negative:

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know what extent they promised, but is modding really not more powerful than it was? I could have sworn I'd heard they'd opened up more things, and LUA scripting wasn't always in, right?
They were supposed to open a lot of hard-coded features in; Things like liquids, physics, and better scripting/creation of techs. As it is all those things are either completely unmoddable in at least a few respects, or built in such a way that trying to change them (physics) makes the game powershit all over itself. When I get into modding again when the new stable release is out (lmbo 2016), I'll try to .gif some of my experiments in physics fuckery, including a gravity-reversal tech and a wall-walking tech. It's, uh, a thing.

EDIT: I don't have a source to site because IDK if there even is one, I just straight up asked Tiy about a bunch of poo poo in IRC and he said they were gonna open it all up, eventually.

Jack Trades posted:

If I ate plastic letters and smeared the feces across the wall for a year, I would have accidentally coded as much content as ChuckleFish has intentionally made; They also clearly have no idea what they're doing because they're still reworking core gameplay mechanics three years into a game's development.

Hope this clears it up

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 15, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Deakul posted:

nice troll shitlord

Hey, what's the bitching is all about?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

There's a thing called Nightly Build that I'm playing right now and it's pretty much everything from the update that's going to be pushed to unstable later this week.

Yup the same nightly builds that killed the modding and multiplayer community.

Now with stuff!

• Locked thread