Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Xelkelvos posted:

You forget that 18-49 year old females also wanted to nail Zachary Quinto.

I forget which comic book writer started working on the show partway through the second or third season. I remember him essentially plugging his Red Hulk book in the middle of the show. I want to say his presence helped send Heroes into the shitter.

Jeph Loeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

He was part of the first season and fired during the third.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whizbang posted:

Flash and Heroes both have secret techniques to massively cut down on SFX cuts, but the problem with Heroes is that their technique was having Mohinder hold the door closed so they didn't have to show anything.

I do wonder if effects costs have gone down in the intervening 6 years or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

computer parts posted:

I do wonder if effects costs have gone down in the intervening 6 years or so.

Without a doubt. But I'm guessing budgets for shows have also come down as well.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The increasing shift to higher and higher definition content probably offsets any lowering of effects costs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I really do enjoy this show a ton, and I don't want to say that it's in spite of some really hammy dialogue - but it sometimes feels that way. They're really clever with some of it, but it got really bad during last week's bedtime speech from mom to little Barry.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Red posted:

So I really do enjoy this show a ton, and I don't want to say that it's in spite of some really hammy dialogue - but it sometimes feels that way. They're really clever with some of it, but it got really bad during last week's bedtime speech from mom to little Barry.

It doesn't help that Little Barry is a poo poo actor. I mean, I know he's a kid and all, but there are good kid actors. The kid who plays Bruce in Gotham is one of the only good parts of that show. Little Barry just brings down every scene he is involved in.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

The weirdest thing about Heroes is they kept on creating different characters with different powers just to keep Ali Larter on the show.

Hey now, that wrapped all the way around from stupid back to awesome/hilarious.

Flesh Forge posted:

Well yeah to be fair Zachary Quinto was at least half of the 20% of Heroes that was not garbage. The writers did some dumb as gently caress things with his character but he was a real trouper.

Which was both a blessing and a curse because they basically had The Spike Problem from Buffy all over again. The character is beloved, the actor is fantastic in the role, but the narrative really demands that at some point they die/suffer final consequences of their action that writes them out of the story.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Spergatory posted:

It doesn't help that Little Barry is a poo poo actor. I mean, I know he's a kid and all, but there are good kid actors. The kid who plays Bruce in Gotham is one of the only good parts of that show. Little Barry just brings down every scene he is involved in.

Compared to the actress who played Plastique, that kid is a young Orson Welles.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The acting in this show, with exception of Tom Cavanagh and Jesse Martin, ranges from mediocre to bad (Oh my god Grant Gustin). But it honestly does not matter, because we have the loving Flash on TV and it is fun and exciting even with mediocre acting. They're good enough for the job at hand.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly this show is so campy and pulpy that I don't think I've ever really put much thought to the acting. It only really matters in the heavy emotional scenes where Barry talks about his mom or Joe and he bond or Kaitlin is sad about Ronnie. They tend to be kind of melodramatic but it fits the show. Flash is very much a comic book put on a TV screen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
To be fair to Heroes, it was basically ruined by the writers strike and the network refusing to let them use a different cast every season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought Heroes was bad way before the writer's strike, though. So it was bad this way instead of bad that way.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 15, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lycus posted:

I thought Heroes was bad way before the writer's strike, though. So it was bad this way instead of bad that way.

I could be wrong but I thought that the second season had it's story and ending completely changed midway in the season because of the strike. This was after they were told they couldn't do their original plan of having a different cast each season. Also, I feel bad for anyone that made it all the way through the circus season. That's what finally got me to quit that show. (I should have quit it long before that.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Spacebump posted:

I could be wrong but I thought that the second season had it's story and ending completely changed midway in the season because of the strike. This was after they were told they couldn't do their original plan of having a different cast each season. Also, I feel bad for anyone that made it all the way through the circus season. That's what finally got me to quit that show. (I should have quit it long before that.)

I just don't know that it could've been any better. The first season had some entertaining episodes early on and then ended up being really bad, so I'm not going to say it was later "ruined" by the writer's strike or changing plans or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it was just staining a stain.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Why should we be extra sympathetic to Heroes because of the strike when a bunch of other shows were similarly impacted and went on to do just fine?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timett posted:

Why should we be extra sympathetic to Heroes because of the strike when a bunch of other shows were similarly impacted and went on to do just fine?

Such as?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

zoux posted:

Such as?

Breaking Bad is the first thing to jump to mind. Friday Night Lights had one rough season but pulled it together. Without doing research that's the best I can do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

Such as?

Supernatural is still going.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I didn't realize Supernatural had writers :smug:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

Oh I didn't realize Supernatural had writers :smug:

:golfclap:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Whenever the writer's strike is mentioned I pour out a 40 eat a pie for my fallen homie Pushing Daisies. I miss you boo!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Five Years Gone (sans Mohinder's door holding power) and Company Man were pretty great. I give Heroes Season 1 a pass simply on the strength of those two episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the writers strike hosed over a lot more shows than made it through. Not that we have to justify poo poo, but it would've been cool if Heroes had been a good show for a number of seasons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked Heroes, but when I rewatched it, there is a visible dip in quality between season 1's finale and season 2's premiere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Senerio posted:

I liked Heroes, but when I rewatched it, there is a visible dip in quality between season 1's finale and season 2's premiere.

It's because Season 2 blew like over a half of their budget on that one flashback scene where Peter saves Nathan and is all burnt up and poo poo after he exploded.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm pseudo-excited for Heroes Reborn, because last I heard, Jack Coleman was the only returning cast member, and he was my favorite, so that's good.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Don't know if this has been brought up but I thought it was a nice touch, I just re watched the episode and noticed that Well's ring has a hinge on it as if it opens up, that was a nice touch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To change gears slightly, we ate lunch ate a local cafe and they had soap operas and I saw TV's Smallville's Green Arrow, Justin Hartley. Do you guys think he gets angry at how popular Amell is with the fans?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hamsystem posted:

Whenever the writer's strike is mentioned I pour out a 40 eat a pie for my fallen homie Pushing Daisies. I miss you boo!

At least Bryan Fuller is making Hannibal and it's seemingly safe from network interference because he's got outside funding and at least 3 cable companies hovering over the show salivating at the chance to pick it up if NBC drops it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
It's me.

I'm the person that liked large portions of Heroes season 4.

(Seasons 2 and 3 were garbage though)

e: \/ Matt trapping Peter and Sylar inside of Sylar's head was one of the last few eps of season 4, and was pretty awesome. They spent (to them) decades in there becoming friends, and it was only an afternoon in the real world.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 16, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aBagorn posted:

It's me.

Yeah S4 was good. I can't remember S2/S3 though. Which one had the arc with the immortal guy and the speedster lady. or the episode where Peter and Sylar (?) get imprisoned in some kind of mind thing by Matt, that was good too

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

To change gears slightly, we ate lunch ate a local cafe and they had soap operas and I saw TV's Smallville's Green Arrow, Justin Hartley. Do you guys think he gets angry at how popular Amell is with the fans?

Justin Hartley can play Aquaman like he did in that pilot Mercy Reef.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Eddain posted:

Justin Hartley can play Aquaman like he did in that pilot Mercy Reef.

I'm really surprised Geoff Johns hasn't shoved an Aquaman TV show down our throats. He's obsessed with Aquaman just like how he's obsessed with Cyborg.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aquaman is every bit as badass as Wonder Woman. Let's be fair.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 16, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm really surprised Geoff Johns hasn't shoved an Aquaman TV show down our throats. He's obsessed with Aquaman just like how he's obsessed with Cyborg.

It's a shame we probably won't see any version of a live action Doom Patrol anytime soon. Robotman is way more interesting and badass compared to Cyborg who's just a poor substitute for Martian Manhunter

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bobkatt013 posted:

He was part of the first season and fired during the third.

IIRC the guy who was in some capacity the lead writer left to do Pushing Daisies and Loeb basically got his job. And then

aBagorn posted:

It's me.

And after Loeb got fired, the guy who left for Pushing Daisies was brought back (iirc because PD had by that point been canceled) for season 4, which managed to salvage a surprising amount of the fecal matter left by the middle seasons (though I seem to recall PD dude leaving partway through to work on something else, though he'd basically written the season out by that point).

This is all from my recollection and I probably have some specifics wrong, but I think that's about the gist.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Yeah the writers strike hosed over a lot more shows than made it through. Not that we have to justify poo poo, but it would've been cool if Heroes had been a good show for a number of seasons.

Heroes is hilarious because the second season basically jettisoned most of the writing staff and so you had writers who were fans of the show doing the writing over people who could write. So every other character got special attention in one episode and jack poo poo in another. Zachary Quinto at one point admitted that every episode was basically filmed twice because of rewrites to try to make an actual storyline.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Habibi posted:

This is all from my recollection and I probably have some specifics wrong, but I think that's about the gist.

Sounds about right. Just thought I'd add the guy you're talking about is Bryan Fuller, currently doing an awesome job with Hannibal on NBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Valeyard posted:

Yeah S4 was good. I can't remember S2/S3 though. Which one had the arc with the immortal guy and the speedster lady. or the episode where Peter and Sylar (?) get imprisoned in some kind of mind thing by Matt, that was good too

Which one had the episode where Peter takes his new Irish girlfriend to a dystopian future, gets her kidnapped by basically the KGB, and then returns to the present without her, never to speak of her again?

WHY did they think they could write a story about a guy with every superpower and a.) Think they had the budget for it and b.) Not realize he could effortlessly solve any problems they gave him unless they wrote him to be a complete moron?

• Locked thread