Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

Just admit it, you can't make art.

Art makes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

Cross posting here

I want to be better at Lightroom. Is there a good website/video series/book that would help me with file management tricks and some light photo editing?

B&H has a really good youtube video for file management in Lightroom (pretty sure it's b&h anyway). As for editing, I've always just searched for what I wanted, like "Lightroom natural skin tones", etc, and watch a bunch. You can tell in the first few seconds of the video if it's worth watching because they usual show you the after photo immediately.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Every day I make art...in the toilet

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Don't you get tired of nachos every day?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Defenestration posted:

Cross posting here

I want to be better at Lightroom. Is there a good website/video series/book that would help me with file management tricks and some light photo editing?

Post-processing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912

As mentioned, Adobe has some decent tutorials and help files.

Find out if you have access to Lynda.com - like through a library or a university - they have a large library of Lightroom instructional videos.

Which version of Lightroom are you running?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bubbacub posted:

Don't you get tired of nachos every day?

Give a man nachos and you fill his toilet for a day, teach a man to nacho and you insure that his toilet will be everflowing with your posts.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I look forward to your instructional dvd set on how to nacho.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Post-processing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912

As mentioned, Adobe has some decent tutorials and help files.

Find out if you have access to Lynda.com - like through a library or a university - they have a large library of Lightroom instructional videos.

Which version of Lightroom are you running?
5. I'm liking the adobe videos, thanks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bubbacub posted:

I look forward to your instructional dvd set on how to nacho.

I'm giving a workshop in nachoing next weekend .

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

I'm giving a workshop in nachoing next weekend .

"Required materials: tortilla chips, a variety of cheeses, toppings of your choice, a toilet, and a caulking gun full of sour cream."

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

I've been trying to take fast shutter pictures in a low-light environment, and I've been trying to take pictures of my dog.

If you trade your dark dog in for a white dog, like a white poodle for instance, you will score at least 2 stops of extra light.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

KinkyJohn posted:

If you trade your dark dog in for a white dog, like a white poodle for instance, you will score at least 2 stops of extra light.

So breadist.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have an issue with my camera. Tested two lenses so I know it's my camera... when I take a picture of something, I line up the shot, take the picture, but the resulting image that comes up on my LCD is shifted down by a few inches. Any idea what is causing this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What camera do you own?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

What camera do you own?

Sony A290.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I'm asking for gift cards for Christmas, I want to treat myself to some photography gear.

I really only do portrait & fashion photography, so keep that in mind. Not really into nature or landscapes,etc. I have a little apartment studio setup, and I shoot outside a lot in the summer.

Here's what I have right now:
• Canon 5d classic
• 50mm 1.8
• 40mm 2.8
• Tamron 70-300mm
• A Yongnuo flash + stand & umbrella
• Reflector

What would you buy if your budget was $500-ish?

I'm thinking of going for the Canon 85mm but curious if someone had a better suggestion.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

triplexpac posted:

So I'm asking for gift cards for Christmas, I want to treat myself to some photography gear.

I really only do portrait & fashion photography, so keep that in mind. Not really into nature or landscapes,etc. I have a little apartment studio setup, and I shoot outside a lot in the summer.

• Canon 5d classic
• 50mm 1.8
• 40mm 2.8
• Tamron 70-300mm
• Reflector

I'm thinking of going for the Canon 85mm but curious if someone had a better suggestion.

Are you hitting limitations with your gear? To be honest, for what you are trying to do, the gear looks fine. Maybe get a 2nd light or pick up an 85mm f/1.8.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

• Canon 5d classic
• 50mm 1.8
• 40mm 2.8
• Tamron 70-300mm
• Reflector

Depends on how you shoot the 70-300, I guess. I love my 85/1.8 but I shoot it almost exclusively at f4 or faster . If you don't need the speed or the bokeys, the 85 might be redundant with your zoom.

That said my two absolute favorite lenses are my 85 and the 35/2 IS. If you were inclined to upgrade the pancake, I can't oversell the 35 enough. It outscores the 35L on DXO (if that matters to you), and completely knocked my Tamron 17-50 off my body for good.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Spend the money on big-rear end prints, photobooks, and other things you can show to non-camera-people. They also just look good and cover up your walls with ART. Big prints, frames, canvas wraps, and professionally-done books are not cheap, you could blow through $500 very quickly with a couple of really nice examples of your work to date.

EDIT: Ok, it's not photography gear, so it's not so much a new toy as it is a chance to show off what you've done with your existing gear. Just my two bits.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Maybe get a 2nd light

This, followed by this.

ExecuDork posted:

Spend the money on big-rear end prints, photobooks, and other things you can show to non-camera-people. They also just look good and cover up your walls with ART. Big prints, frames, canvas wraps, and professionally-done books are not cheap, you could blow through $500 very quickly with a couple of really nice examples of your work to date.

EDIT: Ok, it's not photography gear, so it's not so much a new toy as it is a chance to show off what you've done with your existing gear. Just my two bits.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I've recently started getting more and more of my photographs printed, which is awesome, but a problem has presented itself regarding the mats. Maybe (hopefully) someone here can point me towards a solution.

I love a nice matted and framed print, but when I order matted prints from my lab (with the intent to frame them myself), an annoying issue presents itself. My lab sandwichs the print between the windowed mat on the front and a thick piece of cardstock/styrene/whatever on the back. These are really nice, but it makes them too thick to fit into any of the frames I can find. The cardboard "backs" of frames almost universally have those little tabs that keep the contents of the frame from falling out, but I can no longer use those backs because of the thickness of the matted print. Seems to be a pretty bad and obvious flaw in the matting process. I guess I could instruct the lab to not put the rear-mat on my prints, but that would be a pain to have to do for every order. Or I could just forget the mats altogether and just apply a white border to the files I provide them. Dunno.

Anyone else ever have an issue like this and, if so, how did you resolve it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does any camera have a setting for focus stacking where you can put it in burst fire and set it up to advance the focus point slightly between every shot in a burst? It seems like that would be super super useful.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
One of the paid NEX/a6000/a7 apps can sorta do that.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

That 70s Shirt posted:

Asked my mom for a mat cutter for Christmas. Mat board is stupidly cheap.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

triplexpac posted:

• Canon 5d classic
• 50mm 1.8
• 40mm 2.8
• Tamron 70-300mm
• Reflector

What is your radio trigger situation? I just bought into pocket wizard plusx transceivers and they are pretty ballin' compared to my v2 cactus triggers.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pocket fountain pen Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/598840290/tiny-the-pocket-fountain-pen

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I really only do portrait & fashion photography, I have a little apartment studio setup, and I shoot outside a lot in the summer.

I would buy a new Godox Xenergizer light (either the 600w or 400w depending on your needs/budget) and a cheap beauty dish

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-rs400p-rs600p-xenergizer-released/ I think it's 400 bux for the 400 and 550ish for the 600

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 17, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for the ideas everyone. If I were to get a studio strobe, would I be able to also use my cheapo Yongnuo speedlight? Like use the studio light as my key light and the speedlight as fill?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

triplexpac posted:

Thanks for the ideas everyone. If I were to get a studio strobe, would I be able to also use my cheapo Yongnuo speedlight? Like use the studio light as my key light and the speedlight as fill?

yes

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

That 70s Shirt posted:

I've recently started getting more and more of my photographs printed, which is awesome, but a problem has presented itself regarding the mats. Maybe (hopefully) someone here can point me towards a solution.

I love a nice matted and framed print, but when I order matted prints from my lab (with the intent to frame them myself), an annoying issue presents itself. My lab sandwichs the print between the windowed mat on the front and a thick piece of cardstock/styrene/whatever on the back. These are really nice, but it makes them too thick to fit into any of the frames I can find. The cardboard "backs" of frames almost universally have those little tabs that keep the contents of the frame from falling out, but I can no longer use those backs because of the thickness of the matted print. Seems to be a pretty bad and obvious flaw in the matting process. I guess I could instruct the lab to not put the rear-mat on my prints, but that would be a pain to have to do for every order. Or I could just forget the mats altogether and just apply a white border to the files I provide them. Dunno.

get frames that aren't poo poo

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

MrBlandAverage posted:

get frames that aren't poo poo

Thanks!

voodoorootbeer posted:

Asked my mom for a mat cutter for Christmas. Mat board is stupidly cheap.

^Actually helpful advice. Looking into this. :)

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I just received a lovely 50mm f1.8 (75mm on my crop sensor) which I keep hearing is great for portraits. I haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but will it be too long to use for landscape or street photography in general?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can make it work, but you'll want to stand a decent bit away if you want background and stuff.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Beige posted:

I just received a lovely 50mm f1.8 (75mm on my crop sensor) which I keep hearing is great for portraits. I haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but will it be too long to use for landscape or street photography in general?

I used 50mm on a crop for a while. The only time I found it annoying me was when I wanted to shoot full-length portraits in somewhat tight quarters, it obviously can't handle that.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Are there any challenges/competitions that goons like to be involved with on Flickr, Tumblr, 500px, or wherever else? I've been completing NatGeo's YourShot stuff for a bit but I'd like to work on some more stuff.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I used 50mm on a crop for a while. The only time I found it annoying me was when I wanted to shoot full-length portraits in somewhat tight quarters, it obviously can't handle that.

Cool thanks. Any chance you could link your Flickr? I'm positive I've browsed your photos more than once but I don't seem to be following you yet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Beige posted:

Cool thanks. Any chance you could link your Flickr? I'm positive I've browsed your photos more than once but I don't seem to be following you yet.

I haven't updated Flickr in a long time, I should probably get on that. But here you go: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kschruder

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

That 70s Shirt posted:

^Actually helpful advice. Looking into this. :)

If a cardstock back + mat is already too thick for your current frames, getting a mat cutter isn't going to change anything. Get frames that are meant for containing matted pictures.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mat cutters are way more expensive than buying a decent frame in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Don't most frames come with a cardboard backing? I usually just use the mat+photo+supplied backing. It sounded like the print shop was somehow attaching (gluing?) the print to an additional thick backing which didn't fit in the standard frames. Cutting his own mat boards would allow him to get just prints only (no mats/backing) and frame them that way. Or presumably he could ask the print shop to keep doing the mats but just stop gluing them to the thick backing..