Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

wormil posted:

That's the one I was leaning toward. She tried to cook something, set the stove on high and walked away. I can't get the burned whatever off the bottom and am assuming the enamel is probably cracked.

Try simmering a baking soda and water solution for a while.

Also: plastic knob on a dutch oven lid? :wtf: Dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Coca cola is the most acidic of major cola/soda brands, and is almost the same ph as vinegar. In which case, just loving use vinegar.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well the acid in cola is different from vinegar, it's not just the ph that matters.

Wormil, If you're worried about the sugar in cola just use diet.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
After lurking in this thread for years I thought I'd go ahead and throw in my $0.02 Almost every pot and pan I use is Cast Iron with the exception of a wok and a utility stainless steel sauce pan.

Care and cleaning is simple. Boil water in it, rinse it in cold water and scrub it clean. Put it on the stove top to boil away the water residue, then give it a light coating of oil or bacon grease. Do this every time.

By the way, bacon grease should be just to the right of the stove if you have any decency. Do not ever refrigerate or clean the canning jar that you keep your grease in. Lids are for pussys, just pick the bugs out.

Some of my skillets are so smoothed out from cooking that you can see your own reflection in the black. Others, have such a wonderful coating of carbon seasoning that they are as non-stick as teflon.

Another secret I've found is, if you don't have time to clean the pan properly, just leave it dirty. When you get a chance, clean it well, but never let it be left un-oiled. I've neglected to oil a clean pan before and had it turn orange with rust on me within a few days.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That Dutch oven everyone told me to buy went up $15. Dammit Amazon! :argh: I'll wait a few days maybe it will go back down.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

That Dutch oven everyone told me to buy went up $15. Dammit Amazon! :argh: I'll wait a few days maybe it will go back down.

Strike while the iron is hot!

Get it??

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wormil posted:

You can set up an alert on CamelCamelCamel if you want.
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Lodge-L8DOL3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Handles/product/B00063RWYI

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mostlygray posted:

Another secret I've found is, if you don't have time to clean the pan properly, just leave it dirty. When you get a chance, clean it well, but never let it be left un-oiled. I've neglected to oil a clean pan before and had it turn orange with rust on me within a few days.

That's weird, I've washed my cast irons, sometimes even with soap and left them unoiled and never had rust

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

Strike while the iron is hot!

Get it??

It dropped back down so I didn't hesitate this time.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Steve Yun posted:

That's weird, I've washed my cast irons, sometimes even with soap and left them unoiled and never had rust

I've seen it happen on boats. That's where I developed the same habit as mostlygray - a quick wipe with oil/grease after each use.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay because I'm on dry land and stuff

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Steve Yun posted:

Landlubber! I live in the sky where it is sensible to live.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Maangchi`s fried rice is delicious and works in a skillet.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bokkeumbap

I recommend watching her video on it. I follow her seasoning, but use carrots, greeen beans, peas, and corn with whatever meat i have. Its been great every time. I usually marinate whatever meat with more of a chinese marinade, but it works great.

Following her recipe, i think my skillet is a bit small, so my rice comes out real moist. It works though, especailly when reheating.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

"No man would go to sea who has wit enough to get himself into gaol. For being at sea is like being in gaol, with the added possibility of being drowned. Further, both the food and company is commonly better in gaol."

That, and you don't have to worry as much about your cast iron rusting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I live in a swamp, making rust prevention a daily battle. Which is why my cast iron drips with the fat of the conquered.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone got a recipe for lobster? My wife says it's possible to use cast iron to cook it. I'm skeptical... anyone try it?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I cooked bacon in my cast iron skillet this morning. Then I made a BLT.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ColdPie posted:

I cooked bacon in my cast iron skillet this morning. Then I made a BLT.

:hfive: breakfast buddy

Eggs and peameal bacon over here.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

shankerz posted:

Anyone got a recipe for lobster? My wife says it's possible to use cast iron to cook it. I'm skeptical... anyone try it?
It's a pan. It's made of metal. It cooks things. Yes it will cook your lobster.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I cooked bacon in my cast iron today, too. Then I added onions, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes. Then I put cheese on it. Then I put eggs on that (cooked in brown butter in my other cast iron skillet).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cranked out a double tourtière filling in my Grandmother's ancient and crazy smooth no-name 12" skillet. Her also smooth as glass no-name 8" and whatever tiny-rear end nameless skillet nest nicely in my Griswold #8.

Between the stack of iron skillets and glass percolator, I feel like I belong in central Maine to apprentice under crotchety old Quebecois housewives. :feelsgood:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

shankerz posted:

Why couldn't you cook it in cast iron? Lobster, however, being extremely low in fat would stick on its own more than a meat higher in fat content. The solution of course, is to use butter. Shitloads of butter, which should brown nicely over medium heat.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Why couldn't you cook it in cast iron? Lobster, however, being extremely low in fat would stick on its own more than a meat higher in fat content. The solution of course, is to use butter. Shitloads of butter, which should brown nicely over medium heat.

Ok so I got the courage to try it. Used 6 sticks of butter. Probally too much butter but it came out perfect. It pretty much boiled the lobster in butter in the castiron pan.

Wife and I were very happy how it turned out. Thanks for the advice :)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

shankerz posted:

Ok so I got the courage to try it. Used 6 sticks of butter. Probally too much butter but it came out perfect. It pretty much boiled the lobster in butter in the castiron pan.

That's a lot of goddamn butter. I am both horrified and in awe.

Probably could have used one stick, cook the outside and pop in the oven briefly to finish through (assuming it doesn't cook through on the stove top which is unlikely)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons: I used 6 sticks of butter

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

shankerz posted:

I'm a Texan and lobster isn't really what we do, but I once got some lobster tails from the expensive grocery store and cooked them in my cast iron. I used butter, but I don't think I used 6 sticks. Is that a pound and a half of butter? I don't even comprehend. I buy butter in several pound cases from Sam's club, but I don't think I've ever applied several pounds to a single cooking session. I cooked two tails and ripped them out of the shells with my bare hands and they were delicious. I think I used a stick or so at most.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butter-poached lobster is pretty much the epitome of culinary decadence, for me. It's also one of the few things I don't use my cast iron for. A deeper, smaller diameter sauce pan is better.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah cast iron is hella versatile but not everything is a nail to cast iron's hammer.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

spankmeister posted:

Yeah cast iron is hella versatile but not everything is a nail to cast iron's hammer.

Nothing wrong with a cast iron saucepan. Just stick it in the oven to preheat.

I saw on Mind of a Chef, possibly some other show, that cast iron is so excellent at evenly cooking food partially because it radiates a lot of heat. Put your hand over a hot stainless skillet and you might feel some heat, but nothing compared to a hot cast iron. It makes sense to me, given cast iron's cooking properties - can anybody confirm this?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I saw on Mind of a Chef, possibly some other show, that cast iron is so excellent at evenly cooking food partially because it radiates a lot of heat. Put your hand over a hot stainless skillet and you might feel some heat, but nothing compared to a hot cast iron. It makes sense to me, given cast iron's cooking properties - can anybody confirm this?

For me, its the fact that it retains so much heat, because of its high mass. You don't get an enormous drop in pan temperature when you put cold food on it, like you do on a cheap stainless skillet. You can have a similar effect with other materials, but they're called AlClad, and theyre loving EXPENSIVE.

Also; because I love this thread, and I don't want you all to get shellfish blue-balls, have the best lobster recipe you've ever tried.

It works great on shrimp, too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of seafood in cast iron, I found U10 scallops at the store last night for a very good price so will be doing them in the CI skillet tonight. Probably use bacon grease for the browning and then toss in a bit of butter for extra flavoring. Plus some garlic fresh out of the press. I'm thinking wild rice as a side but am open to suggestions.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Cast iron is actually not very excellent at evenly cooking food if you're just heating it over a burner. It doesn't distribute heat very well, so you wind up getting wicked hot spots.

Your best bet is to heat the whole thing evenly in the oven, pull it out, and then keep dumping BTUs into it over the burner. You'll develop hotspots, but they won't be as bad as if you'd gone from zero to 60 over the burner.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Safety Dance posted:

Cast iron is actually not very excellent at evenly cooking food if you're just heating it over a burner. It doesn't distribute heat very well, so you wind up getting wicked hot spots.

Your best bet is to heat the whole thing evenly in the oven, pull it out, and then keep dumping BTUs into it over the burner. You'll develop hotspots, but they won't be as bad as if you'd gone from zero to 60 over the burner.

I do a very slow preheat on low to medium heat, so I don't suffer hot spots. Once the handle is hot, it's ready to use. The oven would probably be about the same speed, though.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I do a very slow preheat on low to medium heat, so I don't suffer hot spots. Once the handle is hot, it's ready to use. The oven would probably be about the same speed, though.

sounds like a good tip, thanks.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Leftover dough from a pepper steak pie, little bit of caramelized onion in need of using, some bacon/cheese/frozen peas/chives handy. Time to quiche:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Is that the rest of the cast iron family in the corner I see?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Is that the rest of the cast iron family in the corner I see?

The rest of the skillets in current service :)

Nevermind the 5 qt. Dutch oven, 12" Lodge skillet and Combo cooker in need of de-rusting and seasoning, a couple small no-name skillets, firepit griddle, 12" legged bread oven, Emeril smoker/roaster-thing, and some assorted other pieces.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

Lol, sounds like you independently created Thomas Keller's butter poached lobster. That poo poo was delicious. Now that I have a kid on the way, I may never spend that much money on a single meal again.

You could probably bottle the "lobster butter" and sell it at a local farmer's market. I hope you didn't throw it out, because I can only imagine the looks of shock and horror on this thread.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

Lol, sounds like you independently created Thomas Keller's butter poached lobster. That poo poo was delicious. Now that I have a kid on the way, I may never spend that much money on a single meal again.

You could probably bottle the "lobster butter" and sell it at a local farmer's market. I hope you didn't throw it out, because I can only imagine the looks of shock and horror on this thread.

O yeah, we tossed it. Didnt know you could save that? Going to make another 2.0 version of butter lobster for my parents this weekend... any advice people???? Love the cast iron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

O yeah, we tossed it. Didnt know you could save that? Going to make another 2.0 version of butter lobster for my parents this weekend... any advice people???? Love the cast iron!
The Thomas Keller recipe is a slow poach - the lobster is soaked in a lower temp butter so it just soaks in all that butter like a sponge.

You can basically save any cooking oil. I believe Alton Brown describes a rig for separating and filtering oils after frying, so you can reuse it.

• Locked thread