Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Bird touhous are the best touhous (ZUN make marisa a bird tia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

(ZUN make marisa a bird tia)
That already happened in the fighting game.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

a cartoon duck posted:

i like the part where miko almost poisoned herself to death, then made her buddy futo perform that tao death-faking technique just to make sure that's not really just an elaborate suicide method either

I like the part where Tojiko agreed to do the death thing with Futo and then Futo immediately hosed it up for her and Tojiko didn't care because being a ghost is good & cool.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I like the part where Futo's replacement body is a plate so the most logical fighting style she could come up with is plate smashing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Aliginge posted:

Ayayaya greatest

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Bird touhous are the best touhous (ZUN make marisa a bird tia)

I agree with both of these posts.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I made a big old effortpost a while back about why the Taoists owned, but the long and short of it is they killed everyone, also Futo is Tojiko's mom.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Stepmom.

Man, I think Zun's given the okay on same-sex relationships with the Touhou cast before, but having a female husband and wife is just stirring the chilli.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's no indication that their relationship in Touhou is the same as it was in real life. Actually, Futo and Tojiko also have slightly different names than the people we assume they're based on. It's like, I dunno, George Wallington and Jen Franklin. You can tell who they're supposed to be, but they're not identical so there's a bit of vagueness about whether they're actually the same person.

Which is all to say that he didn't actually introduce a husband and wife.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Kill my dreams, why doncha :(

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

ayayaya

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WarpedNaba posted:

Stepmom.

Man, I think Zun's given the okay on same-sex relationships with the Touhou cast before, but having a female husband and wife is just stirring the chilli.

Look I'm just repeating what I learned from Wikipedia.

Also the gay married touhous are Miko and Tojiko.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i can't wait until ZUN casually tweets something that reveals he's horribly homophobic

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I only accept canon facts is there a game or manga or book by zun that explicitly says they're married and/or loving

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

i can't wait until ZUN casually tweets something that reveals he's horribly homophobic

There's actually something where he was on a radio show or something and got offended that the other guests were making casual homophobic jokes. Japan is generally kind of... behind on these social issues so that surprised me.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
ZUN's got a lot of pull with anime nerds so I'd like to hear his views on things, if they're positive.

Could Miko be considered a trans character? Either way it gets muddy because there's some characters who still refer to her as "prince".

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

ZUN's got a lot of pull with anime nerds so I'd like to hear his views on things, if they're positive.

In a games/doujin industry full of really lazy portrayals of women and girls his designs do a fine job avoiding the exploitative Kantai Collection look. I'd wager he has some strongly-held though not vocal views on that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I doubt ZUN has any actual pull over Touhou fans at all. I mean, he seems to be a pretty cool dude while most Touhou fans are the opposite.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
On a whim, I translated the rest of the song names of the FMW P OST. Some of the stuff didn't actually translate that well (oh my god Yuyuko's theme), but here's a download link.

Also go legally buy it. :colbert: It's still available and I can totally show you how to do it if you don't know how.

EDIT: I am dumb and linked the wrong thing.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 15, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Could Miko be considered a trans character? Either way it gets muddy because there's some characters who still refer to her as "prince".

Maybe they mean it in the Roman sense of the word? Y'know, Princeps, 'First to take'?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

This is a translation decision. Strictly speaking, "Taishi" isn't gendered, but it's heavily associated with Prince Shotoku so whenever they say it you're kinda supposed to be reminded of him. Long story short some people on the wiki wanted to changed it to Princess and I yelled at them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm guessing it's just like Saber from F/SN

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Aliginge posted:

In a games/doujin industry full of really lazy portrayals of women and girls his designs do a fine job avoiding the exploitative Kantai Collection look. I'd wager he has some strongly-held though not vocal views on that.
He must. You don't make games like his by coincidence. Even the most well-meaning indies today can still gently caress it up, and he's been consistently getting it right since the '90s.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The characters are interesting because they pass the Bechdel test, the setting is interesting because I knew jack poo poo about Youkai and Yaoguai, and the game is interesting because the only schmup I've played was Raptor.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Given that all the characters are female they could hardly fail the test, so I don't think that makes them interesting in itself. But even though the conventional view seems to be that Touhou is so popular because it's full of blank slates open to fan interpretation (you could say that about a lot of things, though...), I do think that ZUN has some very strong designs. Especially folks like Marisa, Yuyuko, or Sakuya leave a strong impression, and not just because of what they wear. I think it's that, beyond the strong backstories and music, all the little things are really charmingly done, down to stuff like track titles ("Love-colored Master Spark" is genius, for example) and throwaway jokes (Marisa saying that it's not theft since she's mortal and they're not). The fact that the characters take such a detached view on things and there's no plot tension actually helps in that regard.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

FractalSandwich posted:

He must. You don't make games like his by coincidence. Even the most well-meaning indies today can still gently caress it up, and he's been consistently getting it right since the '90s.
I would say that Zun's artstyle is about as far as you can get from sexual.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Even ignoring that he can't draw, he hasn't even tried to make any characters overly sexualized. None of the characters have anything super revealing or fetish bait costumes.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Elliotw2 posted:

Even ignoring that he can't draw, he hasn't even tried to make any characters overly sexualized. None of the characters have anything super revealing or fetish bait costumes.

You forgot the hats.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yes, hats and accessories that would rival a typical TF2 pubbie.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I can't wait until Touhou 15 introduces a character with a gibus

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

If touhou gets on steam it better come with a promotional tf2 hat.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

But which one?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nages posted:

But which one?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I can't wait until Touhou 15 introduces a character with a gibus

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

zun hat of course

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EVERY TOUHOU HAT :unsmigghh:

And maybe the Komeiji's eye-hearts for the Spy or something. Maybe the Pyro, to aid spy checking?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Atomizer reskin for the scout that's just Marisa's broom.

Someone mod this poo poo in

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Suika's gourd as a replacement for Demoman's bottle. This stuff writes itself.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

the wildest rear end posted:

Suika's gourd as a replacement for Demoman's bottle. This stuff writes itself.
http://touhoufortress2.web.fc2.com/main.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQEXlLdg18

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Why do MMD people always use the worst Aya model?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS38O3jf7S4 Go hog wild VV

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 16, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I was gonna post about the horrors of Source models but I'm glad someone beat me to it. Too bad that doesn't include the voice patch someone tried to make for it, I prefer it when both my eyes and ears are suffering during a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Why do MMD people always use the worst Aya model?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS38O3jf7S4 Go hog wild VV

Jesus Christ