Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really hope the modding community can recover from this, because most people seemed pretty chill but it's been quiet for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Any day now.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Estragon: Let's go.
Vladimir: We can't.
Estragon: Why not?
Vladimir: We're waiting for an update.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Desideratus posted:

They were supposed to open a lot of hard-coded features in; Things like liquids, physics, and better scripting/creation of techs. As it is all those things are either completely unmoddable in at least a few respects, or built in such a way that trying to change them (physics) makes the game powershit all over itself. When I get into modding again when the new stable release is out (lmbo 2016), I'll try to .gif some of my experiments in physics fuckery, including a gravity-reversal tech and a wall-walking tech. It's, uh, a thing.
Hope this clears it up
drat, that's a shame.
Still, it's a little more open, isn't it? They haven't delivered on everything (I'd say "yet" but let's be real here), but at least there's a bit more flexibility. Probably not worth the huge silence though.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

http://youtu.be/4Sz2zr3pZEo

In case anyone didn't see it.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Desideratus posted:

If I ate plastic letters and smeared the feces across the wall for a year, I would have accidentally coded as much content as ChuckleFish has intentionally made; They also clearly have no idea what they're doing because they're still reworking core gameplay mechanics three years into a game's development.
I suggested subtractive or percentage-based armor way back when and they're still using an awkward quadratic damage table of some sort that's hard to understand :negative:

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

drat, that's a shame.
Still, it's a little more open, isn't it? They haven't delivered on everything (I'd say "yet" but let's be real here), but at least there's a bit more flexibility. Probably not worth the huge silence though.
I haven't done starbound modding before but I started learning because gently caress it the game's coming back. Nightly seems to have a lot more accessibility than the last stable did. Status effects, techs and Player/Monster/NPC code are all in modifiable Lua scripts instead of the untouchable C++ side of it. There's a channel on irc.freenode.net called ##starbound-modding if you want to know more. From what I gather you still can't mess with the engine too much. Originally I wanted to add a separate energy bar from tech for guns (as everyone complained about) and while you could maybe add that second energy bar, theres no real way to redirect guns to drain energy from it instead of the default energy bar.

I settled with giving myself unlimited energy. :sigh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I still don't understand why a modding community would flock around games like Starbound and Minecraft where each update forces them to forget what they know and relearn how to mod.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

As a member of a dozen or so large modding communities over the years, I can tell you personally that it's because we're all idiots.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

aren't the changes for the modding supposed to be so that they don't have to be changed much if at all in the future really, which will let people mod for a good while. i don't think it's remotely close to whatever arcane poo poo minecraft does

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Section Z posted:

I think the most "creative" broken weapons mod, would be the ability to copy the attacks of common randomly generated enemies.

The most satisfying unbalanced weapons and abilities are always when you use the ones claimed to be totally fair and balanced, right up until you get to use them instead of the only enemy and :tviv:

I know it doesn't always work out for an actual balancing check, but if something the player has is super hellish to deal with in enemy hands, or something enemies have breaks the game in half if players get to use it, things may not be adding up.

Why yes I would like to have a Blue Mage class in Starbound. :getin:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why yes I would like to have a Blue Mage class in Starbound. :getin:

New and improved Psi-Staff! Alt-fire the attacks of the last common enemy with a projectile you killed with it. TIA.
Known Bugs/working as intended: Can not copy Homing Missile enemy attacks. (Are those in yet, or just part of that dev blog still?)

EDIT: vvv any oops gamebreaking bugs aside, I'm expecting the next UNstable update to at least be functional. So just screwing around with pals should work since your saves won't be hosed constantly and such.

So long as you all get to spawn on the same world and starting location... And if you are willing to help eachother out and share ores needed to get eachother's ships flight and FTL capable if playing normally.

Honestly expanded grind aside, it's JUST combat/healing mechanics I'm iffy on for an open worlds exploration game. I'm expecting the rest to be cool, if the RNG doesn't gently caress with you too much.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 16, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm conflicted on this, I had a lot of fun with friends when this first came out, but stopped playing to wait until the game became more full featured. I told myself that I'd wait until ship expansion was on stable to begin playing again, but it's definitely disheartening to see not much has changed for the stable release yet.

I hope they can come back from this, the game could be so awesome. Maybe when they do a big enough patch they can call it a relaunch, give the existing player base some bonus poo poo or something.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Cool, good, I look forward to January. However, I will need the vast array of the completely insane mod guns that I have come to love.

What I'm saying is, Dog Kisser please update the Peglaci for this new version, if Chucklefish decides it should actually be released. tia

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Davoren posted:

I'm conflicted on this, I had a lot of fun with friends when this first came out, but stopped playing to wait until the game became more full featured. I told myself that I'd wait until ship expansion was on stable to begin playing again, but it's definitely disheartening to see not much has changed for the stable release yet.

I hope they can come back from this, the game could be so awesome. Maybe when they do a big enough patch they can call it a relaunch, give the existing player base some bonus poo poo or something.

did you see the trailer that was posted a page or two ago about the update they're going to release in january? it's gonna include ship expansion, among other things. from the way your post is worded it kinda sounds like you haven't.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah sorry, brain is tired. I saw the trailer but it doesn't seem to have countered a lot of people's bad feelings, and from what they're saying important poo poo might still be a little wonky. I just want this game to live up to it's potential!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eh, it's progress at least

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
To be fair the potential of a game like this -- in the sense of an infinite, world-jumping galactic freeform sandbox adventure -- is pretty loving staggering, so even if they had a competent team it'd be hard to live up to that.
Explains a lot of the disappointment though.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
so basically they're making combat more tedious so it takes players longer to go through all the content, instead of adding more content, did i get that right?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Uh, no, there are like 100 new plants, are you even trying

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Smoremaster posted:

so basically they're making combat more tedious so it takes players longer to go through all the content, instead of adding more content, did i get that right?

Well, they at least did say you also deal more damage to enemies on top of upping how much damage they do to you (said while describing how NPCs dying too fast to monsters was a problem). So if that is true and there is still any comparison to old stable, then that means the HAMMER line of weapons will one-shot everything in it's tier instead of nearly two shot them.

But then that would be cool as well as practical, so I wouldn't expect it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Soral posted:

they would have to be to put up with this lovely game

Just like the SA community must be awesome to deal with your lovely posts?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Just like the SA community must be awesome to deal with your lovely posts?

grim creaped again

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Section Z posted:

Well, they at least did say you also deal more damage to enemies on top of upping how much damage they do to you (said while describing how NPCs dying too fast to monsters was a problem). So if that is true and there is still any comparison to old stable, then that means the HAMMER line of weapons will one-shot everything in it's tier instead of nearly two shot them.

But then that would be cool as well as practical, so I wouldn't expect it.

Perhaps it'll be rebalanced later but yeah, that's how it is right now. I was watching a stream of the current night because too lazy too launch it myself, and the player with the hammer was definitely instakilling monsters all over the place. They're real slow so I guess if you miss there's that, but you don't miss because it has a huge arc.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I hope they balance the guns because the only ones that are worth anything are the Sniper Rifles, nothing else does enough damage in a short enough amount of time. The shotguns are weak and the smgs are a waste of energy. The guns are literally all I care about at this point, as well as being a bird in space.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Perhaps it'll be rebalanced later but yeah, that's how it is right now. I was watching a stream of the current night because too lazy too launch it myself, and the player with the hammer was definitely instakilling monsters all over the place. They're real slow so I guess if you miss there's that, but you don't miss because it has a huge arc.

That plus knockback (when it worked, I often got hit by KILLED enemies phasing through my hammer and hitting me with their death blinking corpse) was why the Hammer was my go to survival weapon in old stable.

I switched over to spears only for "stubbornly fight bosses with melee" (because RNG hated me for guns/didnt want to spreadsheet my way to a gun selller). Not because of any worthwhile damage, but for their RANGE. Spears were the only way to go to have even a chance to melee bosses without guaranteed trade hits, or simply being knocked back and hurt by wonky hitboxes like on the bone dragon before your sword or whatever could hit them.

Will filling an area with gun turrets felt like it was missing the point of a boss fight, I wasn't against building boss arenas. The longest part was how long it took to swipe the iron bars for the background even with a Diamond drill :shepface: EDIT: Apex apartment wallpaper is also tougher than the brick blocks found in those places.

That little pistol in my hotbar, was the ONLY gun I could find after days back then. It was "As strong as the Steel bow per shot, but doesn't take nearly my entire energy bar per shot holy gently caress what".

PS I am so glad I gave Apex a try back then. I felt like a goddamned 80's rockstar with that Apex armor in my cosmetic slot.

Reiley posted:

I hope they balance the guns because the only ones that are worth anything are the Sniper Rifles, nothing else does enough damage in a short enough amount of time. The shotguns are weak and the smgs are a waste of energy. The guns are literally all I care about at this point, as well as being a bird in space.

Does anybody know if they fixed up enemy hitboxes? I remember constantly swearing at the sniper rifles and assorted guns I eventually got. Where the shots would harmlessly pass through the heads of enemies from the chin and up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 16, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

with the fan-favorite bird cocks mod I presume

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
at this point I'd accept playing with a penis mod so long as the penises did not consume energy

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

with the fan-favorite bird cocks mod I presume

please don't take me for some sophomoric dweeb

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

IronicDongz posted:

at this point I'd accept playing with a penis mod so long as the penises did not consume energy

I dunno, that sounds pretty EarnestDongz.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Vib Rib posted:

To be fair the potential of a game like this -- in the sense of an infinite, world-jumping galactic freeform sandbox adventure -- is pretty loving staggering, so even if they had a competent team it'd be hard to live up to that.
Explains a lot of the disappointment though.
Eh I sorta half disagree? I don't think anyone (here, at least) would care if it wasn't living up to some nebulously-defined "potential" as long as there were regular content updates that met a minimum level of competency. The disappointment mostly stems form a one-two punch of no content and Chucklefish clearly having no idea what they're doing; They're pretty obviously just making it up as they go along, which doesn't work with something like a game.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Section Z posted:

Does anybody know if they fixed up enemy hitboxes? I remember constantly swearing at the sniper rifles and assorted guns I eventually got. Where the shots would harmlessly pass through the heads of enemies from the chin and up.

No, that still happens all the fuckin time. Good thing you can kill two enemies with a full energy bar (unless you miss (of course you will miss))

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The (seemingly mostly finished) outpost area you get to from the Gates in the current nightly is neat at least. There's a fuckton of quest-giving NPCs and a ton of shops which sell you poo poo, including very cheap ship fuel

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

The (seemingly mostly finished) outpost area you get to from the Gates in the current nightly is neat at least. There's a fuckton of quest-giving NPCs and a ton of shops which sell you poo poo, including very cheap ship fuel

Did they remove planting your own forest, clearcutting it, and shoving wood into a furnace for 1 coal per 10 raw wood or something? Because honest to god, that was a much, MUCH faster way to get coal, as well as getting a lot more, than digging a circuit through a lower tar layer of an entire (small) jungle planet with a diamond dill/diamond pick.

Plus it helped when less coal started showing up even compared to before to make way for fancy fuel rocks, because you STILL needed coal to smelt bars later back in old stable.

I honestly have not been keeping track of any updates to ship fuel situations because "you need to work your way up to even being able to fly, let alone FTL" was more attention getting.

Koobze posted:

No, that still happens all the fuckin time. Good thing you can kill two enemies with a full energy bar (unless you miss (of course you will miss))

Yup, nother reason I loved the hammer. Too fat to miss with. One handed melee weapons were cool but just too many elevations to deal with for them to be practical, wonder if being able to aim their direction will help any?

EDIT: vvv Waaaay back, I saw the devs mention that being able to change directions "Made spears too powerful, so we will have to nerf them" :v:

The only reason to use a spear over other weapons even with the old damage numbers was to not take unavoidable trade hits trying to melee it out with bosses, from what I got out of them personally. Even when the Tesla rod unique spear was damage in a relevant relevant with it's thrust and lightning bolt projectile.

Unless your entire criteria for melee weapons is to try and poke people through a hole in the dirt or something, long spear that only deals damage during the initial thrust just can't beat an arc swing with the other two handed weapons, even that tiny axe.

Only FTL flight needing fuel sounds like a good step at least, so it's back to "I hope the RNG is merciful" for locations and travel options.

Also if 500 pixels is "dirt cheap", they must have REALLY overhauled how much cash you get and how readily you can on demand.

Old stable, a bar of gold was worth 50 pixels in the refinery. And a single lego block from the portable printer was also 50 pixels. I remember thanking god for refineries (and building multiple ones in my home planet base) to be able to afford pixel stopgaps on tier progression. I recall a blurb saying they would be removing pixel cost from "most" crafting, though that is not very specific.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 16, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The ship fuel isn't coal, it's its own thing which you can buy 20 pieces of for 500 pixels(dirt cheap)

Changing directions of attacks is useful but I find it most useful on spears.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

Did they remove planting your own forest, clearcutting it, and shoving wood into a furnace for 1 coal per 10 raw wood or something? Because honest to god, that was a much, MUCH faster way to get coal, as well as getting a lot more, than digging a circuit through a lower tar layer of an entire (small) jungle planet with a diamond dill/diamond pick.

Plus it helped when less coal started showing up even compared to before to make way for fancy fuel rocks, because you STILL needed coal to smelt bars later back in old stable.

I honestly have not been keeping track of any updates to ship fuel situations because "you need to work your way up to even being able to fly, let alone FTL" was more attention getting.

Fuel is very different, but also traveling within a system no longer requires any fuel. So for instance, just hopping around the system you start in is free.

So at least, once you get to a new system, you can check out every planet there without worrying about fuel at all.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Just installed the nightly and had about two hours to play tonight. If you get an chance to do the new tutorial you can see the game is actually (!!!!) shaping up to a real game now. There's still a ton of dumb stuff: you still walk slower when moving backwards but I think they toned it down from when they first added it. I made a Novakid and guns do drain the energy bar drains very, very quickly especially if you dual wield pistols. The matter manipulator is sloooooooow to dig. Pickaxes are a joke. I made a pick and I mined a large vein of coal and some iron and it broke, I think it lasted for about 3 minutes underground.

When you forge ingots you no longer have to wait for each ore to convert into a bar, the stone fireplace is just a crafting station now and it's all instantaneous. I honestly didn't mind the old system, I thought it was cool to have a "factory" going with multiple stone fireplaces going at once for increased output, but the new system is definitely more convenient and faster.

I fought a couple of monsters on the beginning planet and the combat was pretty easy, I didn't get overwhelmed and killed like I used to in the Koala versions.

It took me a while to get deep enough into the planet to find the core fragments, but there were a ton of them there once I got deep enough and they glow really bright so you can't miss them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh yeah and shields have 'health'+can break in the current build, and some form of parrying seems to be in

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 16, 2014

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah I kind of liked the old-style furnace setup, it was neat having a few glowing, providing the only light in my furnace room. But having it do the smelting instantly is way better so whatever, I can still make 4 furnaces for no real reason.

Also I was playing last night, and just now tried to boot it up, and there's an update (to nightly, 200+mb). Hoping it's something good, but I wanted to play for 30 minutes (to maybe grind out another 5 iron ore!!) and for some reason steam hadn't started the download till I tried to play. So not really ChuckleFish's fault but I am so used to being angry at them I will blame them regardless, loving assholes. I hope that this update has something interesting!

Does anyone know if there are any mods out for the nightlies that do that creative mode thing, where you had an item that could spawn anything in the game so you could just skip through all the progression poo poo and get to exploring? It's been so long I can't even remember where to go looking for mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Koobze posted:

Yeah I kind of liked the old-style furnace setup, it was neat having a few glowing, providing the only light in my furnace room. But having it do the smelting instantly is way better so whatever, I can still make 4 furnaces for no real reason.

Also I was playing last night, and just now tried to boot it up, and there's an update (to nightly, 200+mb). Hoping it's something good, but I wanted to play for 30 minutes (to maybe grind out another 5 iron ore!!) and for some reason steam hadn't started the download till I tried to play. So not really ChuckleFish's fault but I am so used to being angry at them I will blame them regardless, loving assholes. I hope that this update has something interesting!

Does anyone know if there are any mods out for the nightlies that do that creative mode thing, where you had an item that could spawn anything in the game so you could just skip through all the progression poo poo and get to exploring? It's been so long I can't even remember where to go looking for mods.

If that's all you want there are commands. Like "/spawnitem ironore 1000" will spawn 1000 ironore to wherever your mouse cursor is. You gotta turn admin mode on first though by typing /admin.

Here is a list of commands: http://starbounder.org/Server_Commands Don't worry, they work fine in single-player, at least they did for me.

It's not super elaborate but there's maybe 30 or so commands, you can do basic stuff like changing time of day and warping to your ship.

• Locked thread