Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I was playing the neelix mission, and I had to get some weapons for my boffs since i didnt have any, and i got all corrosive plasma stuff since it was cheap.

During the mission, i got the accolade "Gasseous Garroter" for plasma damage :D

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hakimashou posted:

I was playing the neelix mission, and I had to get some weapons for my boffs since i didnt have any, and i got all corrosive plasma stuff since it was cheap.

During the mission, i got the accolade "Gasseous Garroter" for plasma damage :D

how the heck do you play with all those holes in your game

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Snowballs are literally assault and comparable to torture posted:

Whether you want to admit it or not, what is happening when someone is being victimized by these snowballs is an ASSAULT. No, not directly a physical assault, but it is a deliberate effort to cause discomfort or distress to another person for your own amusement.

That is NEVER alright.

It baffles me that Cryptic continues to put these things into the game when they have to deal with this exact same outcry EVERY SINGLE TIME they do it.

It's not the real world, but the other players who are complaining about this ARE REAL PEOPLE who are not enjoying it. To me, at least, there's no difference between doing this in a game to upset me, or doing it in the real world to upset me. It's not acceptable either way, and it has to stop.

And don't tell me to lighten up. You have NO right to dictate to me how I am to have fun, and you have NO right to have your fun at my expense, particularly when I have objected to it.

:911:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ramadu posted:

how the heck do you play with all those holes in your game

i dont know i got creative with the screen shot thing :D

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

"You have NO right to dictate to me how I am to have fun, and you have NO right to have your fun at my expense, particularly when I have objected to it."

so that means that he also has no right to dictate how those people have fun. or maybe he is the only one with rights?

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2pcbm3/starfleet_dental_winter_wonderland/

Some wonderful discussion about dental is happening on reddit at the moment.

quote:

I'll share my first experience with Dental. Forgive the long text - and it's not a rant ;)

I'm NOT a roleplayer. I'm here for the fun and every once in a while I like to get carried along with the story. It's not totally an immersive thing, but I'll admit i can occasionally geek out.

I avoided playing the kdf because of all the 'KDF Bugs' back in the day. Bored, I finally rolled up my first KDF tac toon. I burned my way through the content, and I returned to Quonos to enjoy the moment as I'm promoted to Captain.

The great hall. Bloodwine. Klingon music blaring in my ears. And the to have the Chancellor himself promote me.

THIS WAS MY MOMENT. QUa'PLA!

When I arrive at the great hall, I instead find a full disco underway. The chancellor is being mauled by a hyper-stimulated gorn; couples spinning on top of each other in a prepubescent orgy, and more poppers and balloons than should be legal anywhere.

[facepalm] Yeah, I've since learned just to change instances. But that night - at that time - I lost my cool. Dental had ruined the moment, and for a while I ignored the KDF toon.

Fast forward a few months and i experienced the griefing side of Dental in STF's. Guys that would show up in matching constitution class starships, and do pirouettes around borg cubes shooting off fireworks. Ok.. one stf sure. But 4 or 5? Comon guys.

Or using a glitch to allow them to 'raid ESD' knocking npcs off the map. THAT was hilarious.

Since then I took the time to understand their "supposed" background. I've read the articles on David Myer, and Twixt in City of Heros (for those who care: http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html)

They enjoy ruining the experiences of others, whether it's for a study or personal gratification. They are by definition and action, trolls.

But I've mellowed as they've disappeared and moved on to other games to grief players. Nabreeki is more often in the forums than the game, and the number of active Dental players has dropped to the point that they're not worth worrying about anymore.

And when I see them now, I feel sorry for them.

Also - Nabreeki is pretty good a making vids. Thumbs up you degenerate bastard.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Freaking lol at all the reddit/STO forums posts made within the last four or five hours. Virusdancer is on the game forums now hitting his stride as an expert armchair psychologist.

We are sociopaths that feel a desire to manipulate others' bodies, and we seem to be fixated on pixelated balls, because we lack balls in real life. Also, apparently, if we don't have the chance to act out our own sadism on STO, then we all could very well end up being mass murderers In real life. We're the hosed up ones, guys.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Yes it is definitely us that is hosed up and not, for example, the people who make a white skinned Orion slave girl and then go looking to e-gently caress some other most likely underaged people in public zones before having a meltdown over some bright lights on their screen or their character being forced to dance or a snowball being thrown at their character or even seeing a character in an EV suit stand near them.

It was definitely us who was hosed up all along.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Korgan posted:

Yes it is definitely us that is hosed up and not, for example, the people who make a white skinned Orion slave girl and then go looking to e-gently caress some other most likely underaged people in public zones before having a meltdown over some bright lights on their screen or their character being forced to dance or a snowball being thrown at their character or even seeing a character in an EV suit stand near them.

It was definitely us who was hosed up all along.

Not just a white skinned orion slave girl, but a white skinned orion slave girl one guy modeled after HIS MOTHER.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

bubbles depo posted:

Not just a white skinned orion slave girl, but a white skinned orion slave girl one guy modeled after HIS MOTHER.

Who was a very respectable lounge singer back when the Holiday Inn was considered CLASSY, mind you.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Really these pubs :psyduck: assault because of snow balls dancing cause of a disco ball. I feel like they are way too super serious about space business. Also I love that we are sociopaths cause we setup a disco ball and had swimwear on it ruined that guys promotion party :cry:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Confirming without the benevolent guiding hand of Dear Leader I am a bloodthirsty monster that looooooves death

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

Which of the breen consoles are worthwhile running?

I'm curious too.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Were it not for the light of disco I would have burned down a dozen orphanages by now. After chaining the doors. Truly it is the light of Dear Leader and Disco that is the only thing keeping me from being a horrible monster.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
Truely I am the most sociopathic of men as I sit here enjoying my evening tea, thinking on how the world would be a better place without those who claim that taking advantage of minors sexually is a God given right protected by the constitution of the rebel colonies.

Not to mention how without the guiding hand of Dear Leader and the word of his prophet Butts I would still be pillaging sheep like a common peasant.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Without Dear Leader's guiding light all would be lost.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

"You have NO right to dictate to me how I am to have fun, and you have NO right to have your fun at my expense, particularly when I have objected to it."

so that means that he also has no right to dictate how those people have fun. or maybe he is the only one with rights?
It really is sort of the key quote there isn't it? A transparent and unintentional look into their psyche, and the minds of similar people. They're the only ones who matter! Even in trivial and casual social situations! It's the same attitude and maturity a five year old would have.

Northerneye
Oct 28, 2013
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1329401

Snowballs, Unmelting Snowballs, and Half-melted Snowballs no longer have any chance of knocking down snowmen or players of the opposite faction.

RIP Snowballs. Now there is no reason why to buy anything from the winter rep store now.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
This is what it looks like when terrorists win.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Northerneye posted:

Snowballs, Unmelting Snowballs, and Half-melted Snowballs no longer have any chance of knocking down snowmen or players of the opposite faction.

RIP Snowballs. Now there is no reason why to buy anything from the winter rep store now.

Where were you when PWE took away snowballs? :smith:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Oh gently caress off, Cryptic.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
D'you wear a black armband
When they shot the man
Who said, "Peace could last forever."
And in my first memories
They shot Nabreeki
An' I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall of ESD to remind us all
That you can't trust freedom
When it's not in your hands

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
removed - inarticulate

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 18, 2014

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
What then, is the loving point of unmelting snowballs anymore?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Cancelled all fifteen of my accounts, Cryptic.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Thank god they took out snowballs It's a warcrime that someone would even think about wanting to use them to have fun.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Northerneye posted:

What are they gonna do next, implement player collision at 5 meters or whatever so nobody can stand near each other anymore?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bubbles depo posted:

What are they gonna do next, implement player collision at 5 meters or whatever so nobody can stand near each other anymore?

Seriously though that would be amazing. We could create player walls.

I am surprised they don't have RP instances.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't give them ideas, some asocial sperg would actually whine and demand it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

FrostyJones posted:

D'you wear a black armband
When they shot the man
Who said, "Peace could last forever."
And in my first memories
They shot Nabreeki
An' I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall of ESD to remind us all
That you can't trust freedom
When it's not in your hands

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

A++

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Actually I'm pretty sure throwing a snowball at someone counts as both a hate crime and literal rape. If you were in Florida they'd be well within their rights to shoot you dead on sight for even being known as a "snowball holder".

Known associates of snowball throwers are on watch lists and banned from US air flights.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So why have Cryptic gone on a crusade against fun?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

So why have Cryptic gone on a crusade against fun?

They're terrified of member loss in the wake of crashing numbers after Delta Rising so they'll accede to anything.

Just a theory.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

they really don't want to lose that one guy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek Online why are you the only program I know that doesn't respond to clicking when I'm using Mouses Without Borders.

You really are the special bus of programs.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

i'm about to submit all of bijor for the foundry spotlight. i also submitted tuvok program 3.

plz give them your 5's now in case they remove them and or ban me.

remember me always.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 17, 2014

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

i'm about to submit all of bijor for the foundry spotlight. i also submitted tuvok program 3.

plz give them your 5's now in case they remove them and or ban me.

remember me always.

I'll always remember you as that guy in the one-man race who ran off the track and got disqualified. :canada:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek Online why are you the only program I know that doesn't respond to clicking when I'm using Mouses Without Borders.

You really are the special bus of programs.

I think it's because of a previous 'fix' to 'stop' people from 'using' AHK.

Ahem.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

MikeJF posted:

They're terrified of member loss in the wake of crashing numbers after Delta Rising so they'll accede to anything.

Just a theory.

It has to be this. They are acting unusually fast to tackle small issues that come up in the forums. The spammer, snowballs, etc. There has been a lot more Dev activity on the forums as of late -- even geko has waded into the fray -- so I can only imagine the reason behind it all is damage control.

Not that this increase in Dev action is leading to any meaningful changes in the game, it seems to be focused on small acts of appeasement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Making [some useless item] more useless is far easier on the bottom line than nerfing a giant cash sink and grind explicitly designed for wallet warriors.

If you haven't played Neverwinter Online you really should (once) because that's the sort of cash shop economy they're aiming for. Enjoy.

• Locked thread