Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Einwand posted:

Far as I've read it caps out at 8 links.

In that case 4 Heroic Geminis hits it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Does the game pick up any after the fourth labyrinth?

I loved the first three, but this fourth one is just kind of a boring slog. The FOE/Holy Flame mechanics here are really kind of awful, and it's killing my love for the game.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

One would assume not, given the name. It's probably more a case of 'how to get more than 4/5 links out of it'.
I wonder, would a full party of Link abilities work? I can see that chewing the hell out of bosses :getin:

A party full of Linkers isn't really good against bosses because there can only be one link skill active on each enemy at a time, so all the different links would keep replacing, not adding on to.

Edit: Yes, the game does pick up again after the fourth Labyrinth, partially because of a massive plot dump that happens at the end of it, and partially because the fifth Labyrinth doesn't have any really stupid gimmicks that I've seen so far.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 15, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dexie posted:

Does the game pick up any after the fourth labyrinth?

I loved the first three, but this fourth one is just kind of a boring slog. The FOE/Holy Flame mechanics here are really kind of awful, and it's killing my love for the game.

The 5th labyrinth is 10 floors, but all but the final two non-boss floors are even smaller than the first floor of the first labyrinth, so they're generally much quicker. Those final two floors are very complex, though, with lots of going up and down stairs to access different parts of each floor. There's nothing like the Holy Flame mechanic or the Prayer Gates, and the encounter rate isn't so high.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZeButler posted:

Edit: Yes, the game does pick up again after the fourth Labyrinth, partially because of a massive plot dump that happens at the end of it, and partially because the fifth Labyrinth doesn't have any really stupid gimmicks that I've seen so far.
Glad to hear it. I'll keep pushing onwards, then.

Zurai posted:

The 5th labyrinth is 10 floors, but all but the final two non-boss floors are even smaller than the first floor of the first labyrinth, so they're generally much quicker. Those final two floors are very complex, though, with lots of going up and down stairs to access different parts of each floor. There's nothing like the Holy Flame mechanic or the Prayer Gates, and the encounter rate isn't so high.
I'm not even worried about encounters, since Naoto trivializes them so much. I just think the Holy Flame mechanic is pretty drat awful, and it's really wearing me down.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dexie posted:

Glad to hear it. I'll keep pushing onwards, then.

I'm not even worried about encounters, since Naoto trivializes them so much. I just think the Holy Flame mechanic is pretty drat awful, and it's really wearing me down.

The fifth dungeon is a bit better but if you haven't beaten the fourth dungeon yet you're in for even more of a slog on the last floor

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed the Holy Flame mechanic but in general I enjoy things which ask me to figure out the most effective and efficient paths. I wish PQ had more of that.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's quite a lot of it though, between the Holy Flame mechanic in Labyrinth 4 and the timed gates and Reaper in Labyrinth 5. There's also the quest where you have to lure two FOEs away from a room in Labyrinth 3.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoyed the Holy Flame mechanic but in general I enjoy things which ask me to figure out the most effective and efficient paths. I wish PQ had more of that.

The flames felt like a cakewalk after labyrinth 3 and it's puzzles.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I wasn't a huge fan of the Holy Flame sections, but I really enjoyed the Holy Beast parts. I couldn't tell you why, since they're pretty much fundamentally the same sort of puzzle with different wrapping paper.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm using P3MC as a back line magic guy, since his magic is much higher than his strength for me. I found a sword for him that only does 1 damage but has almost 100% crit chance, worth keeping on him? I'm not using his attacks so I figure why not, and it seems more reliable than the actual panic spells. Plus panic is cool

Edit: Kaguya has a multihit skill that is almighty, but uses HP. Does it use MA or ST?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 15, 2014

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Does Persona Q spoil the story of the two fighting games as I haven't had yet time to finish them?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zilkin posted:

Does Persona Q spoil the story of the two fighting games as I haven't had yet time to finish them?

Nope. It takes place in the middle of Persona 3 and Persona 4 and the only thing that's effected in Ultimax is the fact you can get Rei and Zen as arcade avatars for the lobby system.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm using P3MC as a back line magic guy, since his magic is much higher than his strength for me. I found a sword for him that only does 1 damage but has almost 100% crit chance, worth keeping on him? I'm not using his attacks so I figure why not, and it seems more reliable than the actual panic spells. Plus panic is cool

Edit: Kaguya has a multihit skill that is almighty, but uses HP. Does it use MA or ST?

If you can land a guaranteed crit with that sword, that's free magic, so yeah. Keep that on him. Or are you talking about that guaranteed panic sword he gets? Either way, it's a good idea.

And that attack Kaguya has is strength based. And can only hit an enemy once. At least I've never had it multihit anyone. It's not unique to them, either, so you can get it on a persona with more of a HP boost to power it off of.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah I noticed that about Kaguya's special. I thought it was going to be like Devil Survivor's Holy (or whatever) Dance skills where if you cast it with one enemy on the board it would just shred them. Not so much, sorry about half your health.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There is a multihit physical almighty skill, but it's only medium power and always two hits. Shinkuuha or something. Quite a few Personas in the level 20-40 range get it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Grimace posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Holy Flame sections, but I really enjoyed the Holy Beast parts. I couldn't tell you why, since they're pretty much fundamentally the same sort of puzzle with different wrapping paper.

Probably because of the visual indicator and the fact that you weren't constrained to a set path. Like you could walk backwards or around things when doing the Holy Beast puzzles, whereas you had to walk a set path from beginning to end with the torch. There was also more to figure out than just staring at the map and locating the nearest unlit pyre.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

On the other hand, there was an awful lot of walking back and forth across the entire level several times, in the levels with the highest encounter rate.

The Holy Beast sections sucked rear end.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I recall Margaret telling something about sacrified persona giving items, but either I'm missing something or I didn't really notice. What kind of things they give and how do I trigger it? I'm on the third floor of the second labyrinth in term of plot.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
It depends on the persona. Some of them drop stuff when you sacrifice them. Like Nue for example. Not all of them, though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

I recall Margaret telling something about sacrified persona giving items, but either I'm missing something or I didn't really notice. What kind of things they give and how do I trigger it? I'm on the third floor of the second labyrinth in term of plot.

It's just a few specific Personas, usually high-end, and the items are materials for weapons/armor.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Alright, cheers guys.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

On the other hand, there was an awful lot of walking back and forth across the entire level several times, in the levels with the highest encounter rate.

The Holy Beast sections sucked rear end.

The puzzles weren't that great throughout the game. Though to be fair most of them you could just ignore entirely since so many involved avoiding FOEs. Like when the Old Doll shows up to chase you I just turned around and killed it because :effort:. The only time you can't just murder the FOE and ignore their puzzle entirely that I can think of is on the second or third floor of the Inaba Pride Display.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish the FOEs were a bit stronger. I admittedly ignored like 3/4ths of the puzzles in the latter part of the game because it is faster to just kill the drat FOEs. I didn't even realize there was a 'block the FOE from seeing you" puzzle in the last dungeon until one of my characters acted like I'd been doing that so far. (And then acted like I was crazy when I murdered a FOE instead of puzzling around it.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Argent Cinereus posted:

If you can land a guaranteed crit with that sword, that's free magic, so yeah. Keep that on him. Or are you talking about that guaranteed panic sword he gets? Either way, it's a good idea.

And that attack Kaguya has is strength based. And can only hit an enemy once. At least I've never had it multihit anyone. It's not unique to them, either, so you can get it on a persona with more of a HP boost to power it off of.

Oh god I meant 100% panic not critical. But still his attack sucks and he's in the back row so why not.

Do weapons effect physical skills? If they don't I'm not sure why I keep buying new ones since I never use the actual Attack command.

I have that attack on a different guy thanks to Kaguya fusion, good to know its a strength one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh god I meant 100% panic not critical. But still his attack sucks and he's in the back row so why not.

Do weapons effect physical skills? If they don't I'm not sure why I keep buying new ones since I never use the actual Attack command.

I have that attack on a different guy thanks to Kaguya fusion, good to know its a strength one.

No, weapons don't. It is 100% meaningless to equip any weapon that isn't either a stat booster or a status ailment inflicter.

I mean you could set up a series of passive abilities to make a really strong physical attacker who uses Attack but... why?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish the FOEs were a bit stronger. I admittedly ignored like 3/4ths of the puzzles in the latter part of the game because it is faster to just kill the drat FOEs. I didn't even realize there was a 'block the FOE from seeing you" puzzle in the last dungeon until one of my characters acted like I'd been doing that so far. (And then acted like I was crazy when I murdered a FOE instead of puzzling around it.)

FOEs are more annoying than hard usually.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

No, weapons don't. It is 100% meaningless to equip any weapon that isn't either a stat booster or a status ailment inflicter.

I mean you could set up a series of passive abilities to make a really strong physical attacker who uses Attack but... why?

Does that mean that using a physical skill with a status weapon doesn't apply the status? e.g. do Chie's poison shoes poison things if she uses Sonic Punch (or whatever her sleep attack is called)?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No, your normal attack and physical skills are completely separate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Does that mean that using a physical skill with a status weapon doesn't apply the status? e.g. do Chie's poison shoes poison things if she uses Sonic Punch (or whatever her sleep attack is called)?

Yeah, physical skills do not apply any effect from weapons (beyond bonus to stats.)

Which is probably for the best because if Myriad Arrows could apply Panic...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That wouldn't be that great since you need panic or agility bind to hit anything with Myriad Arrows in the first place. Well, anything you'd want to use it against at least (ie, not trash mobs that die in one dark/light cast). Magic/strength bind would be hilarious though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I loved the Holy Flame puzzles because it made me feel like I was opening up the dungeon by lighting more bonfires. Actually, the only thing about it that bugs me is that there are two pre-lit fires, so it's not just you spreading one flame everywhere, which would have made me giddy. It's like, I dunno, putting up flags in enemy territory. It has the same feeling of satisfaction to me as opening up shortcuts.

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, your normal attack and physical skills are completely separate.

As far as I can tell, your weapon doesn't even affect the power of physical skills at all (ie: you can equip a 1 damage weapon and use physical skills for decent damage). If you're not doing basic attacks all the time for damage, which you shouldn't, then the only reason to use weapons is for passive stat boosts or inflicting ailments/binds. While the ultimate weapons are actually stronger than a Heavy Damage skill, by the time you get them everything's outclassed by links and/or Myriad Arrows.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jesus I wish I had that sword work that well. None of those gimmick weapons go off for me. And on the rare chance they do the enemies still punch me in the face anyway whether they're panicked or not.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Clarste posted:

As far as I can tell, your weapon doesn't even affect the power of physical skills at all (ie: you can equip a 1 damage weapon and use physical skills for decent damage). If you're not doing basic attacks all the time for damage, which you shouldn't, then the only reason to use weapons is for passive stat boosts or inflicting ailments/binds. While the ultimate weapons are actually stronger than a Heavy Damage skill, by the time you get them everything's outclassed by links and/or Myriad Arrows.

I believe Death Chaser, Death Counter and all-out attacks also use your weapon attack strength, although those are all pretty situational.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thuryl posted:

I believe Death Chaser, Death Counter and all-out attacks also use your weapon attack strength, although those are all pretty situational.

Nah, All out Attacks absolutely don't. I had 1-damage weapons equipped on everyone and AAOs and follow-up attacks absolutely just used their base strength stat instead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Len posted:

Jesus I wish I had that sword work that well. None of those gimmick weapons go off for me. And on the rare chance they do the enemies still punch me in the face anyway whether they're panicked or not.

I've been using it more and it feels like it's only 100% chance on the kind of thing that you were about to kill anyway. I think the way it works is it's 100% chance for you to cast panic when you attack, but the enemies still have their own resistances and immunities so I could be fighting a FOE where it never triggers at all. Teddie's Agility Bind activates a lot, I think nothing has resistances to that yet

Thuryl posted:

Oh right that could be a good reason to upgrade. If Chie does a link then Death Counter can she activate her own link?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've been using it more and it feels like it's only 100% chance on the kind of thing that you were about to kill anyway. I think the way it works is it's 100% chance for you to cast panic when you attack, but the enemies still have their own resistances and immunities so I could be fighting a FOE where it never triggers at all. Teddie's Agility Bind activates a lot, I think nothing has resistances to that yet

Oh right that could be a good reason to upgrade. If Chie does a link then Death Counter can she activate her own link?

I've triggered my own links with heroic gemini, so I'd guess yes.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yes, yes she can, because I've had Yosuke do it off of Death Chaser before, because it's considered another attack. However, link activations do not trigger Death Chaser, so there's that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZeButler posted:

Yes, yes she can, because I've had Yosuke do it off of Death Chaser before, because it's considered another attack. However, link activations do not trigger Death Chaser, so there's that.

You just made me realize in EO4 terms Yosuke is built as a Dancer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

That wouldn't be that great since you need panic or agility bind to hit anything with Myriad Arrows in the first place.

No, you don't. Aim Goggles (or whatever the "greatly increases accuracy" accessory is) do what they say on the tin and makes it so you very nearly never miss normal attacks and have a pretty high hitrate on Myriad Arrows. Any of Heat Riser/Sukaja/Sukunda make it ~75% hit rate.

• Locked thread