Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

Ever SaGa game is the best game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Actually, it's Saga Frontier 2.

I want to quote this so many times.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Didn't Saga games evolve directly out of Final Fantasy 2, wonky obtuse character growth mechanics and all? Funny that the Worst Game in the Final Fantasy series seems to have evolved into a well-loved, if niche, series of its own.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is the one I played. Boy that was a piece of poo poo game. I really should try one of the goods ones, but I kinda just don't want to ever.

It's not a piece of poo poo game, you just don't have what it takes to like it. I suggest you don't try other SaGa games, because you won't like them either. It's just not your kind of thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the poo poo out of the Final Fantasy Legend games on the gameboy, not knowing of course that they where actually SaGa games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

oblomov posted:

Also the issue is if the game is at least demands a modicum of performance and decent sort of visual imagery then 3DS is out of the question.

Uhhh what

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Constantly feeding your monsters meat to see what they would turn into. That was my jam.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's not a piece of poo poo game, you just don't have what it takes to like it. I suggest you don't try other SaGa games, because you won't like them either. It's just not your kind of thing.

Nah FF2 is pretty bad even if actual good SaGa games descended from it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Nah FF2 is pretty bad even if actual good SaGa games descended from it

Read the quote mang: I was talking about Romancing SaGa.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

This is the one I played. Boy that was a piece of poo poo game. I really should try one of the goods ones, but I kinda just don't want to ever.

Which Romancing SaGa? RS1 for the SNES, the Minstrel Song remake of it for PS2, or one of the other two RS games on the SNES? Because the original RS1 is rougher than polishing gravel with sandpaper.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mycot posted:

There were 2 SaGa games released for the PS2 so there's a 50/50 chance it was the Bad One. There are people here that were considering LPing it and decided against it because they thought they couldn't make it interesting if they tried.

I don't think the assertion that LPer's aren't interesting needs italics, buddy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

Which Romancing SaGa? RS1 for the SNES, the Minstrel Song remake of it for PS2, or one of the other two RS games on the SNES? Because the original RS1 is rougher than polishing gravel with sandpaper.

The PS2 one. earlier post was me saying I had only played one of the PS2 SaGa games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Doesn't matter what language is used, the FF15 trailer just looks uninspiring and like it's trying to copy Xenoblade Chronicles X because SE knows Monolith Soft is better than they are at making JRPGs.

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, I realize I linked the wrong SaGa game earlier today. Either way, new SaGa games is extremely my poo poo.

As long as the web game isn't the lovely Emperor's SaGa mobile web game they have in Japan it could be cool. Shame the new real SaGa game is for the Vita and not 3DS or a system that isn't on life support.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Doesn't matter what language is used, the FF15 trailer just looks uninspiring and like it's trying to copy Xenoblade Chronicles X because SE knows Monolith Soft is better than they are at making JRPGs.
It's more likely that they're trying to copy Skyrim, actually.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oblomov posted:

Also the issue is if the game is at least demands a modicum of performance and decent sort of visual imagery then 3DS is out of the question. Console sales are non-existing. So that leaves Vita for a decent sort of non F2P game with maybe a follow up port to iOS (or reverse). If dev can budget so the game is profitable around say 80-100K, that can be done on the Vita. While Vita hardware sales suck, anecdotally, there is a decent amount of sales going on, especially digitally (in the West).

there are a lot of very pretty games on the 3ds though? and it's been a while since I read the specs, but IIRC the vita's not that much more powerful than the 3ds. not enough that you couldn't cross-port a game, especially an rpg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fungah! posted:

there are a lot of very pretty games on the 3ds though? and it's been a while since I read the specs, but IIRC the vita's not that much more powerful than the 3ds. not enough that you couldn't cross-port a game, especially an rpg

vita:

3ds:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

vita:

3ds:

huh, fair enough

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

vita:

3ds:

Looks terrible either way

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mycot posted:

There were 2 SaGa games released for the PS2 so there's a 50/50 chance it was the Bad One. There are people here that were considering LPing it and decided against it because they thought they couldn't make it interesting if they tried.

I have the Romancing SaGa(1?) remake for PS2 and never played it. Is that the bad one or is the other one I don't know of the bad one?

corn in the bible posted:

Actually, it's Saga Frontier 2.

You probably think FF8 and FF13 are the best FF games too. :colbert:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have the Romancing SaGa(1?) remake for PS2 and never played it. Is that the bad one or is the other one I don't know of the bad one?

Romancing SaGa is the good one, and one of my favorite games. Unlimited SaGa is the utter garbage one; every other game in the series has some redeeming quality that would lead me to suggest it to someone, but Unlimited SaGa is completely irredeemable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Romancing SaGa's great. It's a game with passionate rythm!

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Final Fantasy Legend 3 (SaGa 3) is the best SaGa.

Or SaGa Frontier. Really, anything but Unlimited SaGa.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fungah! posted:

3ds screen is tiny and low resolution so its actually really hard to crossport games

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The girl in the FF15 trailer gives me some real uncanny valley vibes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

It's more likely that they're trying to copy Skyrim, actually.

It's exactly like Skyrim but you drive a car instead of a horse and you have a party of guys that all look like different but the same concept art for Cloud and there's no civil war plotline or elves or LOTR trappings and it doesn't have a nordic cultural influence and it doesn't play from the first person perspective and the attacks and magic are different. It's basically Skyrim.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alakaiser posted:

Final Fantasy Legend 3 (SaGa 3) is the best SaGa.

Or SaGa Frontier. Really, anything but Unlimited SaGa.

Best airship ever, like the spaceship from FF4 and the time machine from Chrono Trigger combined
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7caED-rLmyc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It's exactly like Skyrim but you drive a car instead of a horse and you have a party of guys that all look like different but the same concept art for Cloud and there's no civil war plotline or elves and it doesn't have a nordic cultural influence and it doesn't play from the first person perspective and the attacks and magic are different. It's basically Skyrim.
it's exactly like xenoblade x but you drive a car instead of a mech and you don't make your own character and there's no giant robots and it isn't a sequel to anything and isn't a love letter to mecha series and the attacks and magic are different. it's basically xenoblade x.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last Remnant is Romancing SaGa 3 and it's the best one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

bloodychill posted:

It's exactly like Skyrim but you drive a car instead of a horse and you have a party of guys that all look like different but the same concept art for Cloud and there's no civil war plotline or elves or LOTR trappings and it doesn't have a nordic cultural influence and it doesn't play from the first person perspective and the attacks and magic are different. It's basically Skyrim.

To be fair, there is no civil war plotline in Skyrim either.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last Remnant is.... the best one.

Wow what a terrible franchise.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

To be fair, there is no civil war plotline in Skyrim either.

None worth playing anyway. Help the racist underdogs or the imperialist puppets and in the end it doesn't affect the game world at all. It's like it's all a metaphor... for playing a game with a poorly planned narrative.

quote:

it's exactly like xenoblade x but you drive a car instead of a mech and you don't make your own character and there's no giant robots and it isn't a sequel to anything and isn't a love letter to mecha series and the attacks and magic are different. it's basically xenoblade x.

Oh I am not on the "this is SE's Xenoblade" bandwagon don't get me wrong. Frankly I'm just more the type that is miffed that we're moving towards all action RPG's "because MMO's and Skyrim."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Frankly I'm just more the type that is miffed that we're moving towards all action RPG's "because MMO's and Skyrim."
if you get that we're moving towards action RPGs because mmos and skyrim then why did you get mad at me saying they were influenced by skrim

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

if you get that we're moving towards action RPGs because mmos and skyrim then why did you get mad at me saying they were influenced by skrim

Also SE has been making Action RPGs for a long time now, and have been moving towards them more in FF for awhile now so it is kind of a natural evolution.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

It's just a bit too broad, is all. I don't know that they are really influenced by anything in particular about Skyrim other than its sales numbers so the gameplay similarities seem pretty surface-deep right now. I guess we'll find out how much they've cribbed from Skyrim, Dragon Age, Xenoblade, etc when we get closer to release. They definitely seem to be heavily reacting to trends rather than trying all the "genre defining" stuff they did back in the 90's.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Final Fantasy is going to become all action RPG's and Bravely Default will take it's place as Square Enix's final bastion of turn based RPG's. Until Bravely Fifteen happens and the cycle begins again.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There was some talk that Bravely Second was going to have real time battles, but the demo at TGS was almost exactly the same battle engine from BD. Let's just hope they can pull off a story without four retreads of the world this time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The unfortunate truth is that action games are shown to have a higher impact among general audiences than turn-based RPGs. It's a mix of turn-based being 'boring' and 'complex' (even though FF is never particularly complex). I love turn-based games but their hayday is gone and never coming back.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

The unfortunate truth is that action games are shown to have a higher impact among general audiences than turn-based RPGs. It's a mix of turn-based being 'boring' and 'complex' (even though FF is never particularly complex). I love turn-based games but their hayday is gone and never coming back.

At least there's always Pokemon.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

seiferguy posted:

The girl in the FF15 trailer gives me some real uncanny valley vibes.

Same, had a moment where I thought they snuck in a real vid, but then she looked up with her glassy doll-eyes

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last Remnant is Romancing SaGa 3 and it's the best one.

I own this and haven't played it. Is this a grave oversight?

ImpAtom posted:

10 years from now there will be. Revival just as there is in point and click adventure stuff right now. It'll come back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

10 years from now there will be. Revival just as there is in point and click adventure stuff right now. It'll come back.

Nah. The thing is that RPGs, at the time, presented something games couldn't. Longer and complex stories and often impressive visuals, in addition to the core gameplay. Something like FF drew people in as much for the story or the (at the time) high-end CG graphics as it did the gameplay. They also existed in a time where they could be created on reasonable budgets due to voice acting, world design, ect.

Turn-based RPGs are never going to vanish, but they're never going to return to what they were. We're more likely to see stuff like Cosmic Star Heroine or Pier Solar which intentionally mimic old-school JRPGs than a revival of the PSX-PS2 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I own this and haven't played it. Is this a grave oversight?

Depends on the platform. I have it on 360 and it's really had troubles keeping the frame rate steady. I've heard it's much MUCH better on PC.