Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panty Saluter posted:

modem + router, every time

combo poo poo sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i just moved into a new place and the same router that reliably got me 100+ mbps before now struggles to hit 20, and no amount of coaxing or fiddling with settings helps. it's MAYBE 15 feet further away from my computers. i blame the huge mirror in the bathroom between the router and the computers :pwn:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

theflyingexecutive posted:

alright do I go Motorola cable modem (sb6141) and an airport express orrrr a motorola sbg6580 with an n router built in? also this is for a house plz and ty

get the airport OP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panty Saluter posted:

i just moved into a new place and the same router that reliably got me 100+ mbps before now struggles to hit 20, and no amount of coaxing or fiddling with settings helps. it's MAYBE 15 feet further away from my computers. i blame the huge mirror in the bathroom between the router and the computers :pwn:

The metal wall would be a problem, yes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thanks all that's the way I was leaning I just didn't know if moto routers were especially good

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain Foo posted:

ya, and there's a blower on the other side of the hall for the hvac :shepicide:

its cool though, there's a cable outlet in the office so ima move it into this room. it should reach the tv ok but we'll see

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
apple if you dont want to gently caress with it and have macs
ubnt if you dont want to gently caress with it and have mixed platform
mikrotik if you want to gently caress with it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i kinda wish i had something so i could set the router up by the ceiling, just to see if it would squeak over the mirror. the computers are on the floor so it probably wouldn't help

i assume my upstairs neighbors have their router on the floor above us. their network is like 10 db stronger than ours lmao

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

just get a powerline adapter

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

lampey posted:

just get a powerline adapter

i can move my modem and router for free. tv doesn't need top speed, as long as it can get like 10 mbps its fine

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

i kinda wish i had something so i could set the router up by the ceiling, just to see if it would squeak over the mirror. the computers are on the floor so it probably wouldn't help

i assume my upstairs neighbors have their router on the floor above us. their network is like 10 db stronger than ours lmao

i was going to say put it in your ceiling and then i read the rest of your post. idk put a couple screws into ur roof if you like.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panty Saluter posted:

ya, and there's a blower on the other side of the hall for the hvac :shepicide:

its cool though, there's a cable outlet in the office so ima move it into this room. it should reach the tv ok but we'll see

lmfao :rip: ur RF

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
2.4 punches thru pretty well but of course its crowded as gently caress so performance is still not great. id be more worried if i didnt have the option of moving the gear into the office v:v:v

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panty Saluter posted:

2.4 punches thru pretty well but of course its crowded as gently caress so performance is still not great. id be more worried if i didnt have the option of moving the gear into the office v:v:v

i wish there were as many effective 2.4 channels as 5

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
900 or 3.6 ghz backhaul, 5ghz last mile :getin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

900 or 3.6 ghz backhaul, 5ghz last mile :getin:

well sure but that doesn't help in-home wifi now does it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain Foo posted:

i wish there were as many effective 2.4 channels as 5

ya rly. 2.4 just goes everywhere but three usable channels (sorta)? get that poo poo outta here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panty Saluter posted:

ya rly. 2.4 just goes everywhere but three usable channels (sorta)? get that poo poo outta here

lol if u live in a place where 2.4 is usable

:(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

lol if u live in a place where 2.4 is usable

:(

i launch inssider and despair

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

if u do this u will have to do it all over again when the rest of ur idiot machine arrives lol

lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had my ISP supplied modem router set to bridge mode (i.e. modem only) but yesterday night it decided to become a router again so now my internet is broken and I have to call the ISP because I can't set it to bridge mode myself. :argh:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

there is no DSL modem that isn't a piece of poo poo and people are doing their best to gently caress fibre up too

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

spankmeister posted:

I had my ISP supplied modem router set to bridge mode (i.e. modem only) but yesterday night it decided to become a router again so now my internet is broken and I have to call the ISP because I can't set it to bridge mode myself. :argh:

It's Comcastic! also lol it's still in double secret router mode anyway so your neighbors can mooch

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maniacdevnull posted:

It's Comcastic! also lol it's still in double secret router mode anyway so your neighbors can mooch
pretty sure comcast doesn't do dsl anywhere, but gently caress comcast anyway

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

while I can understand someone defaulting to Comcast whenever there's a story about bad modems, in this case it's a Dutch ISP.

also it's not DSL but cable.

also also it's fixed now.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

is it kpn

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

no like i said it's cable kpn doesn't do cable

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

alright, stupid computer audio question. I dug an old 5.1 head unit out of storage to use on the computer. figured I would just hook it up over spdif but my optical cable was too short so I used an old coax I had sitting around. couldn't get it to push a test tone out from the computer to the unit, but the in-unit test works fine. ran analog over an RCA cable and that worked fine but I'm getting an annoying hum because its a cheap cable. but now I can't remember if computer sound cards will do anything besides dvd audio over spdif. so I'm not sure if I should be getting a longer optical cable or just spend money on non-poo poo analog ones

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The hum is most likely a ground loop and fancier analog cable will probably not help. If you have a cable modem physically attached to the computer somehow a ground isolator might help.

As for S/PDIF, you may need to assign the coax to an input (video 1 or whatever). You may also need to make the digital output the default in the computer.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

combo poo poo sucks

eh, not always, but anything a major telco is willing to deploy will be cheap as gently caress, and the expensive ones make you choke on the price tag

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lucked out on an off-brand optical cable at best buy that wasn't stupidly expensive. its working now and the hum is gone. I think the coax output is dead on the motherboard, not like I've ever used it before.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my wife got an iphone 5 and she wants to put music on it

i will be cold and in the ground before i put itunes on my goddamn pc. how do i put music on this garbagephone without hurting the computers i care about?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

i will be cold and in the ground before i put itunes on my goddamn pc. how do i put music on this garbagephone without hurting the computers i care about?

use a vm

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

buy it on the phone itself

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just install iTunes. it's fine and you don't have to use it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

don't troll

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

itunes is bad but not anything like it was 7 years ago

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

diarrhoea is better than dysentery but that doesn't mean you should fill your computer with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

diarrhoea is better than dysentery but that doesn't mean you should fill your computer with it

too late, i clicked on your post history