Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Real Foogla posted:

Du kannst nach hause fahrn. Repeated 1000 times. :colbert:
"Deutschland, Deutschland. Deutschland, Deutschland." (repeat ad lib)

I still haven't quite figured out what the melody on that one is supposed to be. It's sung rather consistently, but not in a way that makes sense harmonically.

Libluini posted:

Something like this happened to me three times by now. Nearly every time I'm travelling longer then 1-2 hours by train, the Deutsche Bahn suddenly fucks up, just for me. :shepicide:
That's unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

The secret of our trains: The Deutsche Bahn defines a "Verspätung" as a train coming late by more than five minutes.

Turns out if you use special German train time your trains will always be on time! (No, really.) :shepface:

Edit:

In welcher Jahreszeit hat die Deutsche Bahn die meisten Verspätungen?

-Frühling, Sommer, Herbst und Winter.

(In which season does the Deutsche Bahn has the most late arrivals?

-Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.)

:v:

so what you're saying is germans aren't actually punctual and efficient, but are instead rather slow and dim-witted and have just convinced themselves and everyone else that they're punctual and efficient?

that explains a whole heck of a lot actually

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

icantfindaname posted:

so what you're saying is germans aren't actually punctual and efficient, but are instead rather slow and dim-witted and have just convinced themselves and everyone else that they're punctual and efficient?

That actually used to be the German stereotype mainly inspired by the South Germans before GLORIOUS PRUSSIA took charge of things. (Which is kinda ironic, because a lot of our industry is actually located in the South.)

Libluini posted:

Well, do they also tell people a train needing 15 minutes to enter the station "doesn't count as being late"? :v:

Also let me tell you about that one time when I came back from a funeral in Cologne and my trains started running up more and more delays on my way back until I ended halfway to home in Bielefeld at around midnight, three hours late. Of course no Bielefeld was available, so in effect I was about 8 hours late.

Something like this happened to me three times by now. Nearly every time I'm travelling longer then 1-2 hours by train, the Deutsche Bahn suddenly fucks up, just for me. :shepicide:

:razz:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randler posted:

That actually used to be the German stereotype mainly inspired by the South Germans before GLORIOUS PRUSSIA took charge of things. (Which is kinda ironic, because a lot of our industry is actually located in the South.)

:razz:

Yes, now. But for a long time most of the industry was definitely in the north, while Bavaria was a pretty agrarian state, which only really changed after WW2.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

icantfindaname posted:

Oh, you can absolutely be efficient while being slow and dim-witted if someone elso does the thinking for you :cheers:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Torrannor posted:

Yes, now. But for a long time most of the industry was definitely in the north, while Bavaria was a pretty agrarian state, which only really changed after WW2.

Franconia was kind of industrialized before, Bavaria proper not so much.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
In related news, if the very punctual Swiss train services know that there is a train from Germany coming, they plan for it being late by have a reserve train ready.
Switzerland is train transport done right. it is iirc State owned, but ran efficiently, with the goal of maximising customer satisfaction and reliability while not running a deficit.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mightypeon posted:

In related news, if the very punctual Swiss train services know that there is a train from Germany coming, they plan for it being late by have a reserve train ready.
Switzerland is train transport done right. it is iirc State owned, but ran efficiently, with the goal of maximising customer satisfaction and reliability while not running a deficit.

Not entirely sure what the "but" does there, the Bahn was a lot better back when it was state run here as well.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

e X posted:

Not entirely sure what the "but" does there, the Bahn was a lot better back when it was state run here as well.

This is an US message board, I kind of expect that people are heavily into "goberment can do nothing" propaganda.
Btw. the East German trains services were also more punctual than the Bahn.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Government being less efficient at running things than private companies is one of the currently most harmful lies.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The Deutsche Bahn is actually still owned and run by the state.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Edit: I have the reading comprehension and attention span of a 6th grader.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mightypeon posted:

You should keep in mind that they have less than 1/10 of the railway network the Deutsche Bahn provides. That makes a lot of things a lot easier.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Government being less efficient at running things than private companies is one of the currently most harmful lies.

Do you have any fact's that support this statement?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

You believe that for profit is inherently better. Really?

Please give proof that the US healthcare system is fulfilling it's purpose better than the German one. How is people dying of rotting teeth better than people getting toothaches treated in a timely manner?

And there are plenty of examples for privatization making things worse.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 13, 2014

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You believe that for profit is inherently better. Really?

Please give proof that the US healthcare system is fulfilling it's purpose better than the German one. How is people dying of rotting teeth better than people getting toothaches treated in a timely manner?

And there are plenty of examples for privatization making things worse.

Privatization can work when there arent natural monopolies, and when people can make repeated customer choices in which the behaviour of the last provider can be taken into account.

Rail transport is a natural monopoly, and once a health insurance company screw you over for real you are pretty much dead (or cannot get a new insurance due to pre existing conditions). Basically, both are something that just shouldnt be privatized.

Supermarkets on the other hand work better as private companies (I had some experience with the GDR equivalents) then they do as state run businesses.

I would prefer that indigenous resource extraction is state run with the profits going directly into state coffers/future funds like in Norway.

I am also inclined towards state run weapon production, although there are also good arguments against that.

I would also be very strongly in favor of state run drug design. That is simply an area where going after a profit does not work much if at all. The choice on which f.e. Pathogen we want to focus our research assets should be made in an utilitarian, not in a profit based, way.

If privatization is a good idea or not also depends on societal factors, like, quality and ethos of your public servants etc.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. Privatizing everything is as useles as having everything run by the public. And also just because something should be run by either doesn't mean that it will be run efficiently.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GaussianCopula posted:

All of reality.

Also, German quality, engineering and pünktlichkeit is a very handy marketing gimmick that Germany and German brands (understandably) milk for all it is worth. It's just a stereotype though, and as such unsurprisingly false.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
German government runs it's Brandwein monopoly so efficiently that it actually makes a loss. :eng101:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Randler posted:

German government runs it's Brandwein monopoly so efficiently that it actually makes a loss. :eng101:

Gotta keep that Navy strong!

:cryinghelmut:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

http://www.psiru.org/reports/public-and-private-sector-efficiency

quote:

Authors:
David Hall
Date:
Jul 2014

It is often assumed that privatisation or PPPs will result in greater levels of technical efficiency. That is, the private sector can always deliver a given level of service with less input costs than the public sector. Politicians, media, academics and consultants frequently refer to ‘private sector efficiency’. This assumption is often shared even by critics of privatisation. But there is now extensive experience of all forms of privatisation, and re-searchers have published many studies of the empirical evidence on comparative technical efficiency. The results are remarkably consistent across all sectors and all forms of privatisation and outsourcing: there is no empirical evidence that the private sector is intrinsically more efficient. The same results emerge consistently from sectors and services which are subject to outsourcing, such as waste management, and in sectors privatised by sale, such as telecoms.

(Bolding mine.)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

e X posted:

Gotta keep that Navy strong!

:cryinghelmut:

The navy is funded by the Schaumwein tax you ignorant pleb!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Germany: the only acceptable form of patriotism is to get shitfaced.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Someone is spamming these here:

in English: Germany is experiencing an Islamic invasion and politics and media are helping it. Politicians and "social democrat Sleepyheads with leftist-green appendices" are idiots and shall wake up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I went to two Weihnachtsmärkte already this Christmas, none of them were called Wintermärkte. These slogans are lifted right out of the Tea Party playbook from the USA: War on Christmas, Sharia taking over the country, masses of criminal refugees/immigrants... it's disgusting.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Torrannor posted:

I went to two Weihnachtsmärkte already this Christmas, none of them were called Wintermärkte. These slogans are lifted right out of the Tea Party playbook from the USA: War on Christmas, Sharia taking over the country, masses of criminal refugees/immigrants... it's disgusting.

The weird thing is it seems to "work", as in it seems to be a successful meme.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So is it a good or a bad thing the terrible right is reinforcing the alliance of the stupid? In contrast to, for example, a liberal right, with cold-hearted assholes who however are at least not idiots, which seems to be lost to the 5% clause right now?

Honj Steak posted:

in English: Germany is experiencing an Islamic invasion and politics and media are helping it. Politicians and "social democrat Sleepyheads with leftist-green appendices" are idiots and shall wake up.
I'm a bit impressed by the rather high linguistic proficiency demonstrated here. Most reactionaries write an awful German and couldn't properly place a comma if their life depended on it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Honj Steak posted:

I agree that most of those examples would, indeed, be a Schande for Deutschland.

Then, my brain kicks in and the first thing I remember is that the "Juden ab ins Gas" was an isolated incident of mob-mentality escalating at some anti-Israel/pro-Hamas demonstration and had nothing to do with Islam at large and I become suspicious of the other points listed, eventually finding out that they're all either straight-up lies or non-representative of a trend and that's that.

The problem we're facing is that Joe Jedermann stops after "I agree that most of those examples would, indeed, be a Schande" and goes "Yeah, I'm with these guys." and of the people WITH a functional or even highly-functional brain that end up supporting Pegida, a solid 100% go "meh, close enough" and ignore any indicator they recognize that would point towards the rest of the arguments also being bullshit.

I have a brother-in-law and a sister that share garbage like the following video on Facebook and even bring it up in conversation and when you call them out on the obvious bullshit, they move some serious goalpost, or just dismiss entire arguments because you're probably just on of the sheeple that doesn't hinterfrag anything the NATO-Junta mass media are forcefeeding you. The funny thing about these "inedependent journalists" that are all shoveling money with their books, magazines, crowd-funded media outlets is that the message is basically "Alles Hinterfragen! (aber bitte nicht meine Fakten)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyd9tXdKpY

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Cingulate posted:

So is it a good or a bad thing the terrible right is reinforcing the alliance of the stupid? In contrast to, for example, a liberal right, with cold-hearted assholes who however are at least not idiots, which seems to be lost to the 5% clause right now?

The AfD holds more than 10% of the seats in every Landtag elected this year.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The AfD holds more than 10% of the seats in every Landtag elected this year.
So you're saying it's a bad thing, as the FDP is replaced by people dumber and meaner than them, while also getting more votes? Or do you just want to make me feel bad by pointing out depressing things?

:(

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Erbschaftssteuer teilweise verfassungswidrig, Änderung bis 2016. :kheldragar:

Torrannor posted:

There are Wintermärkte in Germany that try to differentiate themselves from Weihnachtsmärkten by being very visibly not about Christmas. But the ones that got media attention were all schedulded to start when Weihnachtsmärkte are closing shop, so there is minimal overlap and no renaming.

Randler fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 17, 2014

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
In other news:

http://www.abendblatt.de/kultur-live/article135457312/Heftige-Diskussion-um-AfD-Anzeige-gegen-Kampnagel-Chefin.html

A theatre director from Hamburg gives shelter to refugees from Africa and gets sued by the AfD.

Highlight:

"In einer anderen gesellschaftlichen Form würde Ihnen etwas ganz anderes blühen als diese Anzeige."

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The AfD is a nice crossbreed of NPD and FDP. "gently caress you got mine. gently caress everyone else. Especially foreigners. (Heil Hitler!)"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The AfD is a nice crossbreed of NPD and FDP. "gently caress you got mine. gently caress everyone else. Especially foreigners. (Heil Hitler!)"

:cryingmöllemann:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Let's talk Edathy:

Inexcusable shitbag or just poor, misunderstood politician in the wrong place at the wrong time?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I agree that most of those examples would, indeed, be a Schande for Deutschland.

Then, my brain kicks in and the first thing I remember is that the "Juden ab ins Gas" was an isolated incident of mob-mentality escalating at some anti-Israel/pro-Hamas demonstration and had nothing to do with Islam at large and I become suspicious of the other points listed, eventually finding out that they're all either straight-up lies or non-representative of a trend and that's that.

Actually a lot of their points are in fact true. While I dont have a problem when private businesses decide that they want to market to non-christians (Gipfelkreuze in ads and Wintermärkte), I see a problem with schools and kindergärten betraying our German heritage (Bratwurst, Schnitzel) or going full pagan with "Lichterfest", because it's more PC. If you dont want to celebrate St. Martin (I enjoyed it as child, but from my observations today Germans have adopted Halloween, atleast the kids that want candy from me) than dont celebrate it but dont call it Lichterfest.

The other things listed are a bit more difficult. I believe that the mentioning of "Juden ab ins Gas" is used as a clever shield against being called Nazis and not necessarly because they really support the state of Israel and the 95% number is just utter bullshit.

Honj Steak posted:

In other news:

http://www.abendblatt.de/kultur-live/article135457312/Heftige-Diskussion-um-AfD-Anzeige-gegen-Kampnagel-Chefin.html

A theatre director from Hamburg gives shelter to refugees from Africa and gets sued by the AfD.

Highlight:

"In einer anderen gesellschaftlichen Form würde Ihnen etwas ganz anderes blühen als diese Anzeige."

To illegal immigrants from Africa. These people are exactly the reason why PEGIDA gets support.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Let's talk Edathy:

Inexcusable shitbag or just poor, misunderstood politician in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Well, maybe he was a hidden Green?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 17, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually a lot of their points are in fact true. While I dont have a problem when private businesses decide that they want to market to non-christians (Gipfelkreuze in ads and Wintermärkte), I see a problem with schools and kindergärten betraying our German heritage (Bratwurst, Schnitzel) or going full pagan with "Lichterfest", because it's more PC. If you dont want to celebrate St. Martin (I enjoyed it as child, but from my observations today Germans have adopted Halloween, atleast the kids that want candy from me) than dont celebrate it but dont call it Lichterfest.

You believe that is an actual problem that exists. You are just as bad as the American regressives screaming about the war on Christmas.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I can't tell whether he's trolling or not.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You believe that is an actual problem that exists. You are just as bad as the American regressives shouting about the war on Christmas.

Are you telling me that there are no schools that are no longer serving Pork because of Muslim children or that the fact that they, schools that don't serve pork, exist is not a problem?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 17, 2014

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

Are you telling me that there are no schools that are no longer serving Pork because of Muslim children or that the fact that they exist is not a problem?

Are you saying the fact that Muslim children exist is a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's in some ways reassuring to see that the stuff conservatives in Germany worry about is the same as the stuff the conservatives in England do. In others, not.

I would bet that the schools that do ban pork are (a) in muslim areas (b) did it without any pressure being put on them and (c) probably did it because they didn't want to go to the expense of putting procedures in place to handle different meals for different types of students, particularly given a lot of the low-wage workers doing the food prep are muslims.

Because that's exactly the story of why this stuff happens in Britain.