Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing with a 305 has ever run with "the best Ferrari had to offer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

EXACTLY what I was thinking after reading that.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'm kind of wondering who named it. Because you *know* what was going to happen...

INTRODUCING THE NEW PONTIAC TOEJAM!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I would have sworn that 'Tojan' was a kit car , so I had to look it up. It is a real thing and the ad left out a small detail on that TPI:

It also sold for freakin' $65k in 1986.

e; I guess the supercharged 350 was in the Tojan GT

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1986-PONTIAC-TOJAN-GT-COUPE-91682

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 17, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Although, "We want a Ferrari beater, here have these tune port 305s" certainly sounds like GM decision making.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I must be broken. I'd totally own one of these.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I must be broken. I'd totally own one of these.

I must be broken too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stealth Like posted:

I must be broken too.

Meant to run toe to toe with Ferrari, eh?

I would totally watch Smokey and Il Bandito

Pope: "Il Bandito, I need these four hundred cases of communion wine delivered to Naples within sixteen hours! Can you do it?"

*Cue Italian version of Westbound and Down*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A supercharged TPI might get up closer to "stock LS1" if it had a lot of work done to the engine to go with it. No slouch for its time, though.

BoostCreep posted:

I must be broken.

Well, you do have a Bricklin...

And much like said Bricklin, this would be much better with a LSx.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, 1988. I remember being enamored of the '88 Pontiac Grand Am for some reason. Thought it was the coolest new car available. That was also the year I graduated high school, so my taste was highly questionable as well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey now, a 305 could easily keep up with Ferrari's best... in, say, an Atom or Lotus 7 clone.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Just get a 3rd gen Firehawk instead if you want something that is actually decent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fucknag posted:

Hey now, a 305 could easily keep up with Ferrari's best... in, say, an Atom or Lotus 7 clone.

Probably give a kitted-out NA Ferrari SW20 a run for its money

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Slavvy posted:

I fondly remember going to a pick n pull with my old man and having him spot a Yugo. He's Macedonian (so formerly Yugoslavian) and had never seen one over here before. He starts strategically tapping at the rear quarter panel and eventually smashes a fist-sized hole through the sheet metal where it's rotted away completely.

"This is a really good one! Must be the climate here."

That reminds me, I recently saw one in the flesh here in Germany:

It was parked in front of a total hipster café, which means it might have been some ironic thing. But later, I saw them leave and when they drove past my office, their engine promptly died at a busy intersection, causing a huge traffic jam and a lot of honking and shouting. Also, the rear suspension had completely collapsed.

Which is also why I'm posting this here. It was just too perfect.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

:3:

e: Suzuki Cappuccino

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
s2k?

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

It's a Suzuki Cappuccino. I don't care what Jalopnik says, I think it's an awesome 1/2 scale GT-R

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Makes sense. I always forget the R35 looks bigger than it is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Makes sense. I always forget the R35 looks bigger than it is.

Then explain this.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Explain what? The NSX is loving tiny. A FRS is bigger. I've seen them side by side.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The R35 is loving huge dude. It doesn't just look big, it IS big.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Look at the supra and evo in that picture- not a lot different in size. And they don't seem big when you're in one either.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The R35 is a massive car. Like, Corvette or Viper massive. And then to watch one sling around an autox course like a CSP Miata is simply mindblowing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Q_res posted:

Although, "We want a Ferrari beater, here have these tune port 305s" certainly sounds like GM decision making.

GM decisions: surprisingly similar to Soviet Russian decisions!

G-Mach posted:

Just get a 3rd gen Firehawk instead if you want something that is actually decent.

What's going on with that intake manifold?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

GM decisions: surprisingly similar to Soviet Russian decisions!

What's the difference?

One was a century long economic and environmental catastrophe that caused untold amounts of anguish and disillusionment,, ultimately resulting in massive financial ruin for millions, but on the other hand did help defeat fascism and produced a couple of technologically impressive projects that internet forum posters still obsess over.

The other was the Soviet Union.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

What's the difference?

One was a century long economic and environmental catastrophe that caused untold amounts of anguish and disillusionment,, ultimately resulting in massive financial ruin for millions, but on the other hand did help defeat fascism and produced a couple of technologically impressive projects that internet forum posters still obsess over.

The other was the Soviet Union.

:master:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

iwentdoodie posted:

It's worth noting that most modern cars are gigantic monstrosities, as cars in general have grown. Being someone who grew up with and appreciates smaller cars, most family cars now terrify me. It seems like all truck designs now begin by adding a three foot tall plastic extender between the bottom of the body and the wheels. But I digress.

Alongside a modern Mustang, the R35 is pretty normal.

First Google result I clicked on:

I always thought the LFA looked huge until I saw one in person, but it's actually tiny.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Modern cars are way too big. The SN197 mustang was a loving barge compared to the already pudgy SN95.

I miss being able to drive cars with my arm on the window sill.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Slow is Fast posted:

Modern cars are way too big. The SN197 mustang was a loving barge compared to the already pudgy SN95.

I miss being able to drive cars with my arm on the window sill.

:(:hf::(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

revdrkevind posted:

It's worth noting that most modern cars are gigantic monstrosities, as cars in general have grown. Being someone who grew up with and appreciates smaller cars, most family cars now terrify me. It seems like all truck designs now begin by adding a three foot tall plastic extender between the bottom of the body and the wheels. But I digress.

Alongside a modern Mustang, the R35 is pretty normal.

First Google result I clicked on:

I always thought the LFA looked huge until I saw one in person, but it's actually tiny.

Agreed on all points.

That said, the R35 is bigger than the Mustang in almost every way, including weight. The only thing the Mustang has is height, by haalf an inch

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

One car that I always thought was huge but is actually pretty petite is the Veyron. For years, all I saw was dramatic low camera angles and Top Gear lines about the vast, spacious interior, giving the impression of this grand two-place road cruiser (that happens to go 250+), but it's the exact same length as my Protege (albeit a foot each lower and wider).

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Fucknag posted:

One car that I always thought was huge but is actually pretty petite is the Veyron. For years, all I saw was dramatic low camera angles and Top Gear lines about the vast, spacious interior, giving the impression of this grand two-place road cruiser (that happens to go 250+), but it's the exact same length as my Protege (albeit a foot each lower and wider).

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Fucknag posted:

Random crappy reference images:

Baby Veyrons:

vs. R35:

vs. LFA:

The LFA is disturbingly tiny, especially in the vertical dimension.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wish they did more comparison shots with cars we're really familiar with. I would love a coffee table book of exotic cars next to a Tamry on every page, just to give the reader a sense of scale and proportion, so one may appreciate wonderfully rare cars in a new way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Goatse Guy, got a car ornament for you:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

I wish they did more comparison shots with cars we're really familiar with. I would love a coffee table book of exotic cars next to a Tamry on every page, just to give the reader a sense of scale and proportion, so one may appreciate wonderfully rare cars in a new way.

1) Kickstart it.
???
3) Profit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, I meant to say this in my last post but it is obnoxiously hard to find pictures of hypercars parked next to more pedestrian vehicles (not without reason, but still), hence why I posted stats I pulled off Wikipedia instead of a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It's not exactly a common car, but for reference: